• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Head Football Coach Named

Started by jacketracket, January 16, 2018, 08:46:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jacketracket

January 16, 2018, 08:46:59 pm Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:24:35 am by sevenof400
Chris Gunter OC from Alma withdrew from the head coaching job today.

title edited by Sevenof400 to reflect the naming of Coach Langrell

PA Dad

Arkansasprofit

AT

Big Prof.91

Maynard G Krebs

Rick Swines

Very strange. Do they bring the next guy in? Or does he want it now?

sevenof400

Eagle boss

doggieskoot2

This is really crazy if true!!  New AD same screwed up hiring at Vilonia.  Egg in the face moment.
Maybe they can do an interim head coach thing again.  That worked well.  WOW!!

jacketracket

Could be naming someone today.  He might not have far to travel....

AT

I don't think Vilonia botched anything from what I've gathered.

I don't know specifics, so I don't want to be that guy who acts like he knows something and is withholding it just because, but if Coach Gunter was approved at a school board meeting and held a press conference, it makes sense for Vilonia to announce the hire.

InYoGrill

V has been snake bit with bad luck lately. Ugh! Was sure looking forward to this new hire from Alma.

AT

Coach Gunter won't be the next coach at Vilonia if there's any question about that still. The title is definitely true.

I really do hope Vilonia is able to find a great coach.

VHSCoach2

Judging by the reactions around town, a new coach has already been found.

AT

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 17, 2018, 05:24:51 pm
Judging by the reactions around town, a new coach has already been found.

Great! Hope to hear the info soon, but I'm guessing they may wait until the ink is dry on the contract this time and I don't blame them.

nudae58

Vtown04

jacketracket

Same mascot different team colors. I heard Vilonia's new coach starts VERY VERY soon!!!

Vtown04

AT

Vtown04

I'm not trying to provide info on the hire as I have no real knowledge of the potential hire, but if you're asking me if I think Coach Langrell is a good football coach then yes I do.

AT

Coincidentally, Coach Langrell has family in Alma haha.

Great potential hire.

VHSCoach2

We can change the title of this thread now.

Coach Langrell has accepted the job.

jacketracket

InYoGrill

Ok someone update me on who Coach Langrell is? Please provide some info. Glad to hear we finally got a coach now!

Vtown04

Offensive Coordinator at Greenbrier until 4 years ago I believe.  Has been Mayflower Head Coach since then.

jacketracket

Vilonia hired its fifth head football coach in five years and the second in 48 hours Monday.

Todd Langrell, who led Mayflower to its first 10-0 regular season last year and a 3A-2 title last year and a former offensive coordinator at Greenbrier, was given the reins of the Vilonia program after Alma offensive coordinator Chris Gunter sudddenly changed his mind and withdrew from consideration after being hired Monday.

The Vilonia School Board quickly moved to hire Langrell in an emergency meeting Wednesday.

"All I can say is we had a head coach Monday night and he called me Tuesday night to say he was not the man to lead the program," said Nick Newman, Vilonia athletic director. "We started the process again to get a head coach who was the right fit.′

Gunter did not return a phone call to the Log Cabin Democrat by deadline Wednesday.

Newman added, "By no means do we consider Todd Langrell a second choice. We interviewed four candidates last week and we never ranked them one through four. I would have been excited with either one of the four. We tried to get the right fit. I am tickled to death now. I am more excited then ever about the future of this program."
The reason?

"He (Langrell) has a great mix of experiences," he said. "He is a hard-nosed, ole ball coach type and is a real student of the game. But you think of an ole ball coach as someone from the 1980s with a certain style. You watch his practice and they are fast-paced. He's an ole ball coach in a young body with a modern mind by what he does and how he plays. His style of offense will bring a lot of excitement to our community."

"It's bittersweet for me because I'm leaving a group of kids (at Mayflower) who are as good of character and hard-working as I've been around," said Langrell, who will coach his third of the three football-playing high schools in Faulkner County. "I'm leaving a good team at a good school (his alma mater). I don't look at this as a lateral move. It's a chance for advancement in my profession (a Class 3A school to 5A). I told the kids at Mayflower that life is getting opportunities. And the kind of success and what they did gave me this opportunity."

He has been part of rebuilding efforts at both Vilonia and Mayflower. Vilonia was 1-9 last season and Ron Young, the coach for the last two years, resigned at the end of the season.

"I've always been placed in positions to be able to turn things around," said Langrell.

"After all this, I think we came out smelling like a rose," said Newman.

InYoGrill

Very nice hire. I am very excited for our Eagle community and program. Coach Langrell, I hope you embrace the Eagle Booster Club because they want to help establish a great program for the young men and community.

doggieskoot2

Mayflower wins 3 then 6 then gets two division 1 type athletes and wins 11.  Funny how that works.
The only way this magically works at V town is if those two kids come over.  In  that case......great hire.
AD says he is super excited about getting embarrassed by Gunter and getting second guy.  LOL  Of course he says that.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on January 18, 2018, 09:22:42 am
Mayflower wins 3 then 6 then gets two division 1 type athletes and wins 11.  Funny how that works.
The only way this magically works at V town is if those two kids come over.  In  that case......great hire.
AD says he is super excited about getting embarrassed by Gunter and getting second guy.  LOL  Of course he says that.

I take it you love this hire?

Chief_Osceola™

While I'd be interested in hearing the back story on what exactly happened, those of us outside of Vilonia & Alma will probably never know, and really, maybe it's better that way.  Strange deal from the outside looking in.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 18, 2018, 10:52:48 am
While I'd be interested in hearing the back story on what exactly happened, those of us outside of Vilonia & Alma will probably never know, and really, maybe it's better that way.  Strange deal from the outside looking in.

Chief gonna miss the quacky west? Eh?

RZback

Any coach that is going to win anywhere has to have good athletes.

incogneto

Well Vilonia dodges a bullet on that one.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: InYoGrill on January 18, 2018, 12:21:19 pm
Chief gonna miss the quacky west? Eh?

I really will. I won't miss the travel. I'll also now have to start talking about the Central being the best conference in the state.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 18, 2018, 04:25:26 pm
I really will. I won't miss the travel. I'll also now have to start talking about the Central being the best conference in the state.

At least you will be right!

BrierDad

Doesn't sound like the process went as planned but you guys will be very happy with the final outcome. Coach Langrell had a big roll in turning Greenbrier from one of the worst teams in 5A to a consistent playoff team with several conference championships. Congrats to Vilonia on a great hire and congrats to Coach Langrell on the job. Week 10 will become much more interesting very soon!

InYoGrill

Anybody from V or Briar hear about GB's current O coordinator also coming over to V to work with the new coach? Thought I heard someone tell me something like this if so WOW! If someone has info post please. I'm curious to see if any holdovers from V's staff are retained. Many of those assistants have been with the program since Stanley days. 

Vtown04

This is what I have been told, but I guess you'll have to check the district's website and see if its in the board meeting minutes to know if it is official, or if it will be happening in the next meeting.  If it has/does happen then Vilonia is getting another good one, he is actually a Vilonia alum.  Great guy who is very familiar with Coach Langrell's offense and has been very instrumental in Greenbrier's offense the past few years. 

tmycjy

what kinda offense and defense dose he run

Vtown04

Can't say for defense, but if offense holds true to what has been done in the past expect to see a lot of 10 personnel.  Likely will be no-huddle at a very high tempo.  Very much a "make the defense defend the whole field" and keep them vanilla by dictating the tempo of the game type of approach.  Was very heavy inside/outside zone...
I suppose he could decide to mix things up a bit and come out in the double wing though, we'll have to wait and see.

Overdahill

Quote from: Vtown04 on January 22, 2018, 10:26:20 pm
Can't say for defense, but if offense holds true to what has been done in the past expect to see a lot of 10 personnel.  Likely will be no-huddle at a very high tempo.  Very much a "make the defense defend the whole field" and keep them vanilla by dictating the tempo of the game type of approach.  Was very heavy inside/outside zone...
I suppose he could decide to mix things up a bit and come out in the double wing though, we'll have to wait and see.

Grill and company might have the big one  :D

doggieskoot2

If Vtown gets the twins to move over from Mayflower they will win 8 games next year.  If not 3.   
Good luck in the lottery.

Idindonuffin

woopig123456

you do understand the twins was there last year (6-5) season, correct?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas