• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charleston @ Lamar

Started by WPWells, October 09, 2015, 08:51:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud Buckaroo

And by the way. It's competition. Not completion.

WPWells

Frankly, Charleston quite possibly could've done the same thing (with a healthy Rowland)

TheTruth2010

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 10, 2015, 04:34:36 pm
If Smackover played lamar's schedule. They would have done the same thing. Prescott would as well. Harding would most likely do the same. If Lamar, or anyone in 3A would have played smackover's first two non-conference games. They would start 0-2 as well.
Proud Buck I agree, Smackover would have. I was mostly just saying that because he said he doesn't know if Charleston is top 5 material, but thinks they will beat Lamar. Honestly do you think there are 6 teams that are better than Lamar this year?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: TheTruth2010 on October 10, 2015, 05:37:33 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 10, 2015, 04:34:36 pm
If Smackover played lamar's schedule. They would have done the same thing. Prescott would as well. Harding would most likely do the same. If Lamar, or anyone in 3A would have played smackover's first two non-conference games. They would start 0-2 as well.
Proud Buck I agree, Smackover would have. I was mostly just saying that because he said he doesn't know if Charleston is top 5 material, but thinks they will beat Lamar. Honestly do you think there are 6 teams that are better than Lamar this year?

I think we'll know the answer to this question this week...

strongandsteady

TheTruth2010

In my opinion, Lamar will prove they deserve their ranking. Im going 42-27 Lamar.

-Painted Fan-

We see this every few years.
Lavaca won Conference in 2006.
Mansfield won Conference in 2010.
Paris won a share of the Conference crown a few years back.
What do you do with it?
Don't just say "Yes, We were relevant in 2015."
Harding Academy hasn't lost a conference game in almost a decade.
Charleston has won 12 of the past 14 conference titles.
That's tradition.

macadoshis

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on October 10, 2015, 05:50:23 pm
We see this every few years.
Lavaca won Conference in 2006.
Mansfield won Conference in 2010.
Paris won a share of the Conference crown a few years back.
What do you do with it?
Don't just say "Yes, We were relevant in 2015."
Harding Academy hasn't lost a conference game in almost a decade.
Charleston has won 12 of the past 14 conference titles.
That's tradition.
I don't think anyone is arguing the tradition of Charleston.  That's a no brainer.  But that tradition doesn't automatically guarantee a victory this Friday.  CCharleston may very well leave Lamar Friday night with a win.  And Lamar could just as easily do the same. But if Lamar does get the win, tell those seniors or anyonr else on that team that its relevant.  Thats all im saying.

-Painted Fan-

Again, what do you do with it?
Next year? 2017? 2018?
Sure, Lamar is good.....this year....

HorseFeathers

Why are you arguing tradition

Ned_Flanders

I have seen both teams play.  I give a slight advantage to Charleston.  I like speed.  With Charlestons two sophomore receivers I feel like they will be behind Lamar's Dbacks all night.  Line play? I give Lamar a slight advantage, both teams have good size.  QB play toss up. Two totally different styles depends on what you like.  Me myself I can't stand a running QB. All that said

Speed kills

Charleston by 13

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on October 10, 2015, 06:09:30 pm
Again, what do you do with it?
Next year? 2017? 2018?
Sure, Lamar is good.....this year....

You are starting to sound arrogant again....

macadoshis

Ok, I feel my blood pressure getting high so I think I'm done for the week.  Since Charleston has won 12 of the last 14 titles, there's no point having any hope this year will be different. So I will see you guys Friday and congrats on another conference title Charleston.  Enjoy the banana pudding before the game. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: macadoshis on October 10, 2015, 06:53:26 pm
Ok, I feel my blood pressure getting high so I think I'm done for the week.  Since Charleston has won 12 of the last 14 titles, there's no point having any hope this year will be different. So I will see you guys Friday and congrats on another conference title Charleston.  Enjoy the banana pudding before the game. 

Tradition is suiting up for Charleston friday night....Lamar might as well just call in the forfeit.

I don't understand this mentality. If tradition is what wins games, in this day and age Junction City and Rison would never lose games in 2A. Rivercrest would have never crashed and burnt a few years ago and losing their playoff streak. Little Rock Central would still be ruling the Largest class with an iron fist. Barton would still be rolling through regular season games, instead of getting mercy ruled by lesser tradition rich programs....Heck stories like Magazine from 2008-2011 would never happen...You see where I'm going? Tradition Does Not Win Ball Games against Equal or greater teams....Tradition is good for the old farts in the stands, but it don't do a dang thing for the players on the field once they start getting punched in the mouth..if you don't believe me look down the road at Booneville...Tradition is a good recruiting tool to help the program recover from those down years...

Now if for some reason your scared that Charleston is about to get whipped up and down the field on Friday night, then by all means keep attacking the "lack-of-tradition" of their program....

WPWells

October 10, 2015, 07:02:04 pm #64 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:04:09 pm by 12th Man CHS
Lamar is starting a tradition of their own. Charleston fans need to remember that our tradition started somewhere. If this game was a matchup to see who had the better tradition, Charleston would win and it wouldn't be close. However, that's not the matchup. Do I think the Tigers will do it? Absolutely. Do I think Lamar will roll over just because they see the big, bad, tradition-rich Tigers coming to town? Not no but HECK no. I think these two will both be 3A semifinalists, and I couldn't be more excited for this game.

OLDSCHOOL82

Looks like i swatted the hornet nest!!

nastynice

Charleston has a good tradition but it hasn't always been that way. They won their first title in 2005. They won a few games before then but really wasn't relevant in the state til then. The last 10 years have been great for them. But before then, did anyone outside the Rivervalley even consider them a threat?  No. Like 12th man said, it has to start somewhere. Maybe Jones is starting it at Lamar these last couple years. Only time will tell.

Clara Allen

Why do you people have to be so flipping arrogant and mean?    If tradition was suiting up Friday night, then we all know who will win.  But that was then. This is NOW.   The warriors are not playing the Tradition Tigers Friday night.  They are playing the 2015 edition of the Charleston Tigers.  This is a team who believes they can make a statement.   They are focused and are overlooking no one.   This is a different team than last year.  There is something special about these kids.  If yall want the Tradition Tigers to play, may I suggest the Turkey Bowl at The charleston football field Thanksgiving afternoon.  That way you can bask in the glory of days gone by..... Ok rant over.

-Painted Fan-

I think you guys have totally misread my post. Not once did I say Charleston was going to win the conference, or even Friday night, for that matter.
I was trying to ask a question.
Lavaca won the Conference in 2006. The Arrows went 9-2 that year, and to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Of the 8 years since, they have been to the playoffs 5 of those, and have compiled a 44-48 record.
Mansfield won Conference in 2010. They finished 9-3 that year, and went to the 3rd round of the playoffs. Since then, they have a 16-25 record.
Paris won a share of the Conference crown in 2012. They went 10-3 that year, and to the 3rd round. Since then, they have gone 10-10-1.
My question is, like Lavaca, Mansfield, and Paris, are we seeing a one-time deal? I was asking for opinion, and everybody freaks out.

Jimbo Morphis

TheTruth2010

If tradition won ball games, what happend Friday when Lamar went to Booneville?

TheTruth2010

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on October 10, 2015, 07:33:46 pm
I think you guys have totally misread my post. Not once did I say Charleston was going to win the conference, or even Friday night, for that matter.
I was trying to ask a question.
Lavaca won the Conference in 2006. The Arrows went 9-2 that year, and to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Of the 8 years since, they have been to the playoffs 5 of those, and have compiled a 44-48 record.
Mansfield won Conference in 2010. They finished 9-3 that year, and went to the 3rd round of the playoffs. Since then, they have a 16-25 record.
Paris won a share of the Conference crown in 2012. They went 10-3 that year, and to the 3rd round. Since then, they have gone 10-10-1.
My question is, like Lavaca, Mansfield, and Paris, are we seeing a one-time deal? I was asking for opinion, and everybody freaks out.
Lamar is 32-9 since 2012. It's not like they came out of nowhere.

BigMan15

I'm gonna take Lamar 45-35

ChucktownTiger

This will be dog fight. I'm a firm believer if Charleston can get up on them by a couple scores combined with maybe a turnover or blocked punt or something of that nature, the "little voices" telling them this is gonna be just like all the other games will definitely be there. I think though the game will be close down to the 4th qtr. Lamar may even lead at half. However the Tigers come out of there with a Win.

TIGERS 49
LAMAR 35

ChucktownTiger

Honestly if the D shows up for the Tigers and I think they will. They've been improving week to week. They look like they wanna hit somebody, unlike those first couple weeks. If they show up and our O line will keep Jack upright, we could win this game running away. I truly believe if givin the chance. Jackson will pico apart the Lamar secondary. 

nastynice

October 11, 2015, 08:37:01 am #75 Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:40:47 am by nastynice
Quote from: ChucktownTiger on October 11, 2015, 07:42:31 am
This will be dog fight. I'm a firm believer if Charleston can get up on them by a couple scores combined with maybe a turnover or blocked punt or something of that nature, the "little voices" telling them this is gonna be just like all the other games will definitely be there. I think though the game will be close down to the 4th qtr. Lamar may even lead at half. However the Tigers come out of there with a Win.

TIGERS 49
LAMAR 35

This is one of the main reasons I think Tigers will win. They will score twice early and come up with some kind of turnover. How will Lamar respond? 

Clara Allen

I think I'm done posting about this for the week too.  And yall were wondering where all the Lamar poster are.   We would rather sit back and read the smack talk and arrogant remarks and shake our heads in wonder. 

On another note: 5-6 Friday night dessert on the grounds. If it's as pretty as the weather says it's going to be, look for orange and black tablecloths in front of the cheer house.  I'll even put up a sign for the literate ones.   Please let me know numbers.  I don't want anybody starting the game with an empty tummy!

WPWells

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on October 11, 2015, 09:54:12 am
I think I'm done posting about this for the week too.  And yall were wondering where all the Lamar poster are.   We would rather sit back and read the smack talk and arrogant remarks and shake our heads in wonder. 

On another note: 5-6 Friday night dessert on the grounds. If it's as pretty as the weather says it's going to be, look for orange and black tablecloths in front of the cheer house.  I'll even put up a sign for the literate ones.   Please let me know numbers.  I don't want anybody starting the game with an empty tummy!

You're the best.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on October 11, 2015, 09:54:12 am

It's not smack talk. I think Lamar has an awesome team and could very well beat Charleston. I've just seen this kinda thing happen year in and year out. From being s player (several years ago) to now a fan in the stands. It's not a knock against Lamar and they could do the exact opposite. I've just seen it all to often. Much respect for Lamar though. They've turned out Many Many good teams over the last few years.

-Painted Fan-

I didn't express myself very well last night, and for that I am deeply sorry. I hope you guys can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Clara Allen

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on October 11, 2015, 12:07:04 pm
I didn't express myself very well last night, and for that I am deeply sorry. I hope you guys can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Well Painted, maybe we all are just a little touchy on this subject.   Let's just enjoy the week and the game Friday night.  And you enjoy your daughter's wedding weekend!

MICHAELSPAPPY

This Lamar team is a little hard to judge. In the two games I saw, it almost seemed like they were a little bored with things. Probably not, but I got that impression. And a source tells me that I was not the only one with that impression. Obviously, they will have to be focused from the get-go this week.

Longfellow

If Lamar plays like they did against Mansfield, they will lose. If charleston plays like they did against Danville, they will lose

MICHAELSPAPPY

October 11, 2015, 03:04:24 pm #83 Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:05:05 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
Quote from: -Painted Fan- on October 10, 2015, 07:33:46 pm
My question is, like Lavaca, Mansfield, and Paris, are we seeing a one-time deal?

That is a little difficult to answer. A lot of factors go into that which have no direct relationship to what goes on on the field. Does the coach stay or move on? That is a big one. Especially in small schools, as simple a thing as a factory closing down can have a devastating effect (ref. the closing of DPM in Booneville, still having an effect on the community). A change in administration. A reduction of the real estate tax base that forces schools to economize. Sometimes just the breaks that gives a school two weak classes in a row.Charleston has had an advantage that they do not have  large industrial base, but are basically a bedroom community for Fort Smith, which means their real estate base is more stable, and expanding as the Ft. Smith market is expanding rapidly down Hwy 22.

Some schools place a tremendous premium upon football, and so the board is under pressure to win.

Another thing that can kill programs is the Arkansas transfer rule. (I wish they would do away with that.) Take one good player out of a small program and it can be a killer. Add in one key player from a higher level and it can make a champion out of a fairly good team.

Charleston has had a good run, as has Booneville. There will be up and down years, but it is tough to sustain over very many years with all those factors having to come together.

adaptedtigerfan

I really thought this could be a good week of posting.  But with all the Lamar posters throwing in the towel 6 days before the game I am starting to think its going to be boring as ever.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 11, 2015, 05:04:28 pm
I really thought this could be a good week of posting.  But with all the Lamar posters throwing in the towel 6 days before the game I am starting to think its going to be boring as ever.

I guess ur not suppose to disagree with each other on here anymore. If you do, you're being so "mean"!!!!

Clara Allen

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 11, 2015, 05:04:28 pm
[/quo

Adapted- if everyone would stick to talking about the game instead of floating off to TraditionLand, it could be a fun week.   Looks to me like it is left up to the GIRL to make a stand.  It is going to be a great game.  I'm feeding yall, and will run that sideline the entire game taking pictures.  The Warriors are going to make history this season.  Oh and win Friday night.  There.  Throw all the crap you choose to; I can take it

Jabali

Charleston wins. They are a 4A team playing 3A ball. County Line School is ~7 miles from their front door, County Line School District is ~3 miles from their front door. County Line has 120 students (~10 schools smaller have football teams) and does not play football. There are no kids at County Line School walking up and down the aisles wishing they had a football program. They are enrolled at Charleston.

Charleston is a great town and has a great program. They do not recruit but benefit from having a school that close that only plays basketball.

Tigers by 7.

Jabali

Quote from: TheTruth2010 on October 11, 2015, 12:04:10 am
If tradition won ball games, what happend Friday when Lamar went to Booneville?
From my angle it looked like we got our butts kicked.

AT

Quote from: Jabali on October 11, 2015, 05:30:11 pm
Charleston wins. They are a 4A team playing 3A ball. County Line School is ~7 miles from their front door, County Line School District is ~3 miles from their front door. County Line has 120 students (~10 schools smaller have football teams) and does not play football. There are no kids at County Line School walking up and down the aisles wishing they had a football program. They are enrolled at Charleston.

Charleston is a great town and has a great program. They do not recruit but benefit from having a school that close that only plays basketball.

Tigers by 7.

That's some type of logic there.

Clara Allen

What the Sam Hill does County Line have to do with anything.  Cal and Charleston do not like each other and I know this from experience.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Jabali on October 11, 2015, 05:30:11 pm

Tigers by 7.

Do people not understand the logic of enrollment numbers?

Clara Allen

Obviously not.  Charleston's enrollment the last I saw was lower than ours.  So the argument that they are 4A is groundless.   

macadoshis

I never have liked the fact that people get on Charleston for having kids move in from other schools. We did the very same thing.  And we have a few kids from Clarksville.  As far as the game goes. I just had the lineman over here this afternoon for food and football watching. And they are excited to see if they can't get after the QB all night.  That's the one key to victory in my opinion.  If Rowland is allowed to stand back there and survey the field then he'll have a monster night and no doubt it will be very difficult to get a win for Lamar. But if they can disturb him, and the linebackers stay disciolined in the screen game then i think itll be a differnt story. I firmly believe and will have to see different to have my mind changed, but i think we can run the ball all night.  Our QB will have to hit a few passes throughout the night.   He was off some last week.  And my philosophy on Charleston blocking a punt......dont ever punt and they cant block one.   ;D

TheTruth2010

The Lamar defense will show up Friday night. I predict a long night for Rowland. I think the game can be close, but I also think Lamar can pull away from Charleston. I think Lamar has a better chance of a blowout win than Charleston does.

WPWells

You're the most biased Lamar fan on here. Weren't you the one claiming Lamar almost beat Charleston in 08?

On another note, there used to be a Lamar poster on here with the username "Ihatecharleston" I'd love to see him make an appearance this week

TheTruth2010

I won't deny that. If Charleston wins big I'll eat crow. I just don't see it happening.  8) I'm just exited I actually get to go to this game.

macadoshis

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 11, 2015, 07:01:33 pm
You're the most biased Lamar fan on here. Weren't you the one claiming Lamar almost beat Charleston in 08?

On another note, there used to be a Lamar poster on here with the username "Ihatecharleston" I'd love to see him make an appearance this week
I might be wrong but I think he played on the team that year.  And the poster ihatecharleaton could be any person i see in town everyday lol.  I get looked at often when i take up for Charlesron.  Yes i take up for Charleston on a weekly basis it feels like.   People hate who they cant beat.  When youre good, for every one person that want you to succeed theres 100 that wanna see you fail.  Thata why so many people outside Charleston wanted to see Ty fail.  It would be a huge feather in our cap to take down a team like Charleston. And i think we get it done Friday night. 

MICHAELSPAPPY

Tough game to call. Lamar has won by at least four touchdowns against six easier opponents. Charleston lost handily to two good opponents, beat one that apparently matched up closely, and won three games fairly easily.  Hard to tell much from that about how they will do against each other. The call is not made any easier by the fact that they have not played any common conference opponents yet.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on October 11, 2015, 06:01:12 pm
Obviously not.  Charleston's enrollment the last I saw was lower than ours.  So the argument that they are 4A is groundless.

Maybe he was referring that we play to a 4a level. When it comes to talent. The last few years at least.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas