• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crazy Weather

Started by DogsWin7, March 01, 2012, 08:22:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breitontime

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2013, 12:08:09 pm
Only takes around a quarter-inch buildup, and those lines are down.  Might want to keep the cell phones, etc on the charger.
My phone hasn't left the charger this morning. I'm seeing more and more posts on FB popping up about no power, slowly getting closer to my house.

Ridge Rat

5 inches of snow so far and still hammering down. Two inches of sleet under that. Hwy 65 been bladed but still covered heavily.

HorseFeathers

Probably got a good 3 inches on the ground here in Hector...with an inch of ice under that. Sand/blade truck went by at 11:30 last night, before anything was on the roads(Dropped no sand), and hasn't been back by here since....

Ridge Rat

Our maintenance crews been at it since at least 10 yesterday. Put out sand and chemicals starting in Van Buren county before it even hit. I'm usually not a fan of them but they've got after it this time.

Ridge Rat

The persimmon seeds told the truth! Snowing again here, even though the radar ain't showing anything.

Go Postal

Harrison had sleet all day Thursday and it snowed all Friday.  But we didn't get the freezing rain like they predicated.  Hope that you guys that got that are doing okay.

Breitontime

This snow and ice has turned into a jolly good time.

DogsWin7

Man.....that was some crazy weather!

I'm so thankful my power just came back on!   It's cold.

Please continue to pray for the ones who are still without....I have many family and friends still without power.     

It's Ice covered and the trees are all severely damaged. 

bleudog

True Believer

Prayers for all without heat!   I have cabin fever already.  Baked brownies and cookies.  Thinking about baking a pie.  Need to get out. 

Guess I can walk down to the gas station and back. 

Hurry hurry warmer temps!!!

Uncle Ivan

Down to ice patches.  I think I'll chance it.

Breitontime

We made the half hour drive to the liquor store a bit ago, roads weren't too bad. Though, the usual half hour was stretched to about 50 minutes.

I need to go to sleep. I haven't slept since Thursday. Snow day, and night festivities and all have limited my sleep opportunities.

DogsWin7

Within 10 hours of my power going off, the temp in my house went from 72 degrees to 61.   Within the next 14 hours it had dropped to 39 degrees.   Praying for all without heat and for the workers who are out trying to help.    It's extremely dangerous with all the trees continuing to fall and when they do restore power it's not for a little while in some cases because another tree or line will break do to the weight of the ice.

I'll be glad when it melts.   

HorseFeathers

Road through Hector is still a solid sheet of ice...got out and venture a little bit. Side roads are clear, for the most part, and my mom and dad's dirt road looks like there was never ice and snow on it.

True Believer

Our road is one solid sheet of ice.  I haven't been out of the house since Thursday.   

DogsWin7

Quote from: True Believer on December 08, 2013, 10:13:52 am
Our road is one solid sheet of ice.  I haven't been out of the house since Thursday.

Mine is too and I want to go outside!!!       

True Believer

Just chiseled a mountain of ice off my daughter's car.  She is ready to go to her house.  She brought her  4 month old pup and I am exhausted.  My older dogs hate him.  But he is pretty darn cute. 

ricepig

The main roads in J'boro are ok, some of the side roads are ice rink comparable. I ventured to the McD's on Nettleton and Caraway, people were doing 180's and 360's try to park are drive around to the drive thru, quite the scene. I asked them why they hadn't had someone scrape their lot, got a IDK???

True Believer

Brookland schools are closed tomorrow.  The side roads are a solid sheet.  Drove to the closest gas station to me and they were out of gas.  Drove to the next one and filled old Besty up.  Benz did fine but sure wish I had my dad's chains for his tires.  I get funny looks from the good old boys in their 4 wheel drives but I didn't have any problems.  Just go slow and try to keep away from the idiots.  Daughter said 49 is slushy. 

True Believer

McDonald's even sounds good right now.  I'm tired of left overs. 

True Believer

ASU is closed tomorrow.  I'm sure son is doing the happy dance.  He had a final tomorrow. 

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2013, 01:44:31 pm
The main roads in J'boro are ok, some of the side roads are ice rink comparable. I ventured to the McD's on Nettleton and Caraway, people were doing 180's and 360's try to park are drive around to the drive thru, quite the scene. I asked them why they hadn't had someone scrape their lot, got a IDK???

Ricepig,

You don't want a lot scrapped - it makes driving much worse when you remove the snow and leave only the ice...

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 08, 2013, 02:57:08 pm

Ricepig,

You don't want a lot scrapped - it makes driving much worse when you remove the snow and leave only the ice...

Hmm, Walmart, our church, and about 70% of the businesses used a bobcat or blade to scrape their parking lots on Sat, all were good this.morning. I'm not talking about a road grader or truck going 30 mph doing it, I'm saying put your blade/bucket down and remove it. It's worked all over town where they did this.

sevenof400

Here we go with school closings for Monday...already.
Get ready for school to run into June this year.   

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2013, 04:14:33 pm

Ricepig,

Hmm, Walmart, our church, and about 70% of the businesses used a bobcat or blade to scrape their parking lots on Sat, all were good this.morning. I'm not talking about a road grader or truck going 30 mph doing it, I'm saying put your blade/bucket down and remove it. It's worked all over town where they did this.

Ah.  Glad to hear they make full effort to remove the stuff.  Too many times I have seen just the top layer removed making things far worse.   

DogsWin7

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 08, 2013, 04:15:14 pm

Do they not build snow days in school calendars anymore?  Or is it up to each school district? 

sevenof400

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on December 08, 2013, 05:33:56 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 08, 2013, 04:15:14 pm

Do they not build snow days in school calendars anymore?  Or is it up to each school district?

It is up to each district and our brainiacs scheduled our last day on May 30. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 08, 2013, 04:16:47 pm
Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2013, 04:14:33 pm

Ricepig,

Ah.  Glad to hear they make full effort to remove the stuff.  Too many times I have seen just the top layer removed making things far worse.   

Yes, That's what's wrong with the roads in Hector...well that and Pope County isn't bothering to do anything to actually clear the roads this year. Two of the main side roads are completely cleared off, but Hiway 27 through town is an ice rink for most of it.

School's already been canceled for Hector tomorrow, and ATU is delaying for an hour or two..

Breitontime

Russellville, Dardanelle, Dover, Two Rivers, Danville, have all been canceled.

I think I'll call off work tomorrow too, sounds like another all nighter ahead!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on December 08, 2013, 06:17:11 pm

Add Atkins, and pretty sure Pottsville to that list for every school in the county...

ricepig

Quote from: HF on December 08, 2013, 07:08:42 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on December 08, 2013, 06:17:11 pm

Add Atkins, and pretty sure Pottsville to that list for every school in the county...

All the schools in NEA are off tomorrow, without sunshine over half of them will miss Tuesday.

Ridge Rat

Searcy County will be lucky to go back by Wednesday. Most of the back roads are dirt and mine still has at least four inches of ice. Hwy 65 is still covered everywhere I've been.

Breitontime

We've been backroading it up this evening. It's slippery out.

Uncle Ivan

Main and quite a few secondary roads are clear, at least here in the flatlands.

sevenof400

Wow - a good number of schools already closing for Tuesday. 
June is going to suck when kids are still in school....

HorseFeathers

Hector and Dover canceled for tomorrow at around noon today...

ricepig

Pretty much all of NEA out of school today. I'd say with the temps and ample sunshine, most will be back in session tomorrow.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2013, 12:54:46 pm
Pretty much all of NEA out of school today. I'd say with the temps and ample sunshine, most will be back in session tomorrow.

Let's hope so.  A little normality looks very appealing right about now.

True Believer

I am hearing a lot of parents twittering and facebooking about being tired of being home with their kids....lol. 

Brian G

All NWA( Wash & Benton Co) have been out since last Thur & Fri and are out tomorrow.  5 days.

Some Sat school already scheduled.

Ridge Rat

We had Saturday school at Marshall back in the 70's but I don't think we did in the 80's even though my senior year (88), I'm pretty sure we missed three weeks in January. I'm all for Sat. school to keep the kids from going into June.

HorseFeathers

looking like hector is trying to start christmas break early this year. They canceled school because around seventy kids on the mountain routes wouldn't have been able to make it. Just about everything else is clear now

Ridge Rat

No school in Searcy County again. Hope we don't get anymore winter weather, but looks like another round next weekend.

True Believer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please say it ain't so!!!    The persimmions were right. 

True Believer

I'm thinking of buying  Suburu. 

gatecrasher

Dec 21-23 time frame. Another Arctic blast at a minimum.
Too far out to put a handle on precip. I've seen models show everything: severe weather preceding cold front, followed by snow. Ice storm. Blizzard. Nothing.

Only thing that's almost certain: more bone chilling cold.

Ridge Rat

No school in Searcy County again. Backroads still icy and awnings at the school have collapsed. My barn fell in but apparently others have too. This crap is getting old. Even one of the awnings at Sonic collapsed.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ridge Rat on December 12, 2013, 08:37:08 pm
No school in Searcy County again. Backroads still icy and awnings at the school have collapsed. My barn fell in but apparently others have too. This crap is getting old. Even one of the awnings at Sonic collapsed.

Makes me want to take a trip over the mountain to see how bad it is...lol...maybe when I get my car back this weekend...

Ridge Rat

We've had lots more snow than this over the years. I guess it was the ice too, I just don't know. At least eight barns that I know of are down, the canoe shed at BRO at Silver Hill collapsed and its not over five years old. Crazy winter this year.

Uncle Ivan

Hot summer > mild winter > mild summer > cold winter > repeat.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas