• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 CLASS A CHAMPIONSHIP CAPSULES

Started by BarclayAlmanac, March 09, 2016, 08:25:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BarclayAlmanac

2016 CLASS 1A BOYS CHAMPIONSHIP
BOYS
EMERSON VS BAY
Friday, March 11, 5:15 p.m.
Bank of the Ozarks Arena, Hot Springs

EMERSON (35-0)
Head coach: Josh Nix
State championships: (1) 2001
Road to Hot Springs: Won 1A-4 regional tournament and defeated Alpena, Norfork and County Line in the state tournament

BAY (37-7)
Head coach: Brad Brannen
State championships:  (4) 2015, 2013, 2011, 1965
Road to Hot Springs: Won 1A-2 regional tournament and defeated Mount Vernon-Enola, Nevada, and Guy-Perkins in the state tournament

FEARLESS FACTS: Emerson is only undefeated boys team in the state. ... Emerson also made state finals appearances in 2001, 1996 and 1943. ... Brannen has guided Bay into five state championship games in the past seven years. ... Emerson defeated Oden, Bradley and Kirby by combined 63 points in regional tournament and won three state tournament games by combined 93 points but only beat County Line 54-45 in semifinals. ... Bay defeated Viola, Norfork and Izard County by combined 92 points in regional tournament and won three state tournament games by combined 51 points.

2016 CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
GIRLS
KIRBY VS NEMO VISTA
Friday, March 11, 7:00 p.m.
Bank of the Ozarks Arena, Hot Springs

KIRBY (38-2)
Head coach: Robert Tucker
State championships: (1) 2010
Road to the Hot Springs: Won 1A-4 regional tournament and defeated Alpena, Sacred Heart and Wonderview in the state tournament

NEMO VISTA (37-3)
Head coach: Kyle Payne
State championship: (2) 2015, 2014
Road to Hot Springs: Won 1A-3 regional tournament and defeated Calico Rock, Scranton and Kingston in the state tournament

FEARLESS FACTS: The two teams have combined for 75 wins. ... Kirby's losses are to Caddo Hills and Class 4A state championship game participant Riverview. ... Nemo Vista's losses are to Jessieville, Wonderview and Class 4A state championship game participant Riverview. ...  Nemo Vista is attempting to win its third straight state title. ... Nemo Vista is 104-13 over the past three years. ...

PuddlePirate12

Emerson also made state finals last year.. Losing to Bay lol

riccoar

All games will be televised:
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/state-hs-basketball-tourney-on-tv

The play-by-play announcers include: Lanny Beavers (Fearless Friday), Philip Seaton (Fox Sports Arkansas) and Derek Ruscin (Morning Rush)

J.D.

Quick question for you guys, who are the 1A schools that have defeated Nemo over the last 3 years?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: J.D. on March 10, 2016, 11:15:47 am
Quick question for you guys, who are the 1A schools that have defeated Nemo over the last 3 years?

obviously wonderview is one, think mve beat them during season of the first title...

riccoar

Quote from: J.D. on March 10, 2016, 11:15:47 am
2015-2016:  Riverview (4A), Jessieville (3A), and Wonderview (1A)

From what I could find, I'd say Wonderview.  Wonderview beat them both times during regular season of the 2013-2014 regular season.  Nemo beat Wonderview in regionals and state that same year.  They definitely have an EPIC rivalry going.

BannerChaser95

Not taking anything away from Nemo, but if you're mentioning nemos record, shouldn't we mention kirbys? Over the last 2 season Kirby lady Trojans have a  70+ wins and 5 losses? 3 last season and 2 this season. i understand nemos won the title is why they mentioned there records. But kirbys is better the last two season. Not sure about the first year Nemo won. But def worth mentioning if mentioning one team

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 10, 2016, 07:19:19 pm
Not taking anything away from Nemo, but if you're mentioning nemos record, shouldn't we mention kirbys? Over the last 2 season Kirby lady Trojans have a  70+ wins and 5 losses? 3 last season and 2 this season. i understand nemos won the title is why they mentioned there records. But kirbys is better the last two season. Not sure about the first year Nemo won. But def worth mentioning if mentioning one team

More of a note of accomplishment of this years senior class for nemo....don't figure Leland would intend a slight to kirby

Motownsportsfan

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 10, 2016, 07:19:19 pm
i know Wonderview knocked Kirby out of state 3 years ago and have beaten them last 2 years in Jessieville tournament. Was on a 3 game win streak until buzzer beater this year

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HF on March 10, 2016, 07:37:52 pm
More of a note of accomplishment of this years senior class for nemo....don't figure Leland would intend a slight to kirby
my point is, pending the sophomore classes records, kirbys records better with Nemo having 6 losses last year and 3 this year. Kirby had 3 last, 2 this. I just think if you're talking about one accomplishment, you're shorting Kirby like they went 22-14. But they've had single digit losses in 3 consecutive final fours. Need to see both records if you bring up one, because Kirbys Sr class have a VERY impressive record as well as Nemo vistas

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on March 10, 2016, 08:26:06 pm
i know Wonderview knocked Kirby out of state 3 years ago and have beaten them last 2 years in Jessieville tournament. Was on a 3 game win streak until buzzer beater this year
WV beat Kirby in SAU, and at Bradley in the second round both years, then Harrison and Nashville Nemo beat them in the final 4. Nemo and wonderview were kirbys only losses last year!

riccoar

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.  Kirby has had a great season, no doubt.  Major victory beating Wonderview.  But Kirby's conference was extremely weak this season.  Given the teams that Nemo has faced, and the fact they have been here before, that has to give them an edge.  But, anybody can be beat.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: riccoar on March 11, 2016, 06:42:22 am
To be the man, you gotta beat the man.  Kirby has had a great season, no doubt.  Major victory beating Wonderview.  But Kirby's conference was extremely weak this season.  Given the teams that Nemo has faced, and the fact they have been here before, that has to give them an edge.  But, anybody can be beat.
Both destroyed ICC, both blew up sacred heart, both played undeafeated river view a solid game both losing by 12-11 points. The one game difference between the teams? Kirby best 3A Semi Finalist Jessieville by 12, Nemo lost by 2. Comparing who these teams played mean nothing. But kirbys played a lot of the same teams.

riccoar

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 11, 2016, 10:31:36 am
Both destroyed ICC, both blew up sacred heart, both played undeafeated river view a solid game both losing by 12-11 points. The one game difference between the teams? Kirby best 3A Semi Finalist Jessieville by 12, Nemo lost by 2. Comparing who these teams played mean nothing. But kirbys played a lot of the same teams.
Nemo was without two starters vs. Jessieville too.  Not taking anything away from Kirby, it should be a good game.  But Nemo is definitely the favorite based off of the last two years.  Got my DVR set to record the 1A games this evening.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: riccoar on March 11, 2016, 10:40:47 am
Nemo was without two starters vs. Jessieville too.  Not taking anything away from Kirby, it should be a good game.  But Nemo is definitely the favorite based off of the last two years.  Got my DVR set to record the 1A games this evening.
Wasn't aware that previous seasons has to do with this season. I'm not arguing that kirbys going to win by 15. Because it's going to be a very good game. But a lot of y'all are all for Nemo due to what you just said. PAST SEASONS. Nemo beat them by 1 last season to win the state title. One more free throw and Kirby could be looking for a re peat. Nemo has a way of pulling games out. This game will be fun to watch.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 11, 2016, 12:49:16 pm
Wasn't aware that previous seasons has to do with this season. I'm not arguing that kirbys going to win by 15. Because it's going to be a very good game. But a lot of y'all are all for Nemo due to what you just said. PAST SEASONS. Nemo beat them by 1 last season to win the state title. One more free throw and Kirby could be looking for a re peat. Nemo has a way of pulling games out. This game will be fun to watch.

It does when Kirby is 0-2 against this team from the last two years....could be the year Kirby finally beats them though

coach05

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on March 10, 2016, 09:49:21 pm
my point is, pending the sophomore classes records, kirbys records better with Nemo having 6 losses last year and 3 this year. Kirby had 3 last, 2 this. I just think if you're talking about one accomplishment, you're shorting Kirby like they went 22-14. But they've had single digit losses in 3 consecutive final fours. Need to see both records if you bring up one, because Kirbys Sr class have a VERY impressive record as well as Nemo vistas

Valid point on Kirby having a better record than Nemo over the past 2-3 years. My question however is did you play Wonderview 5 times each year? Did you also play 5-7A schools each year such as Benton, Cabot, Vilonia, Fort Smith, Greenbrier? Not taking a single thing away from Kirby because they are good...very good and I have much respect for them! But I don't feel you can compare records over three years when they obvious don't play the same schedule. Yes they match one or two teams over the course of the season and that's it. Can't compare scores off of 1 or 2 games especially if all players are not playing and healthy IMO! Should be a great game tonight between two very deserving teams! Good luck to all the young ladies!

BannerChaser95

Quote from: coach05 on March 11, 2016, 02:34:46 pm
Valid point on Kirby having a better record than Nemo over the past 2-3 years. My question however is did you play Wonderview 5 times each year? Did you also play 5-7A schools each year such as Benton, Cabot, Vilonia, Fort Smith, Greenbrier? Not taking a single thing away from Kirby because they are good...very good and I have much respect for them! But I don't feel you can compare records over three years when they obvious don't play the same schedule. Yes they match one or two teams over the course of the season and that's it. Can't compare scores off of 1 or 2 games especially if all players are not playing and healthy IMO! Should be a great game tonight between two very deserving teams! Good luck to all the young ladies!
If you mention one of the teams records, I just felt both should have been listed.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas