• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting

Started by arstatechamp13, March 06, 2016, 04:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

But I dont see him giving up football.

Thechosen1

It's the rumor going around bay right now.

Thechosen1

Also saw both players and CC coach at ICC for the guy game the other night congratulating everyone on the win

RedWolf275

If they found there way to Brockwell, they must be on the list.

bdubyab60

As long as they do the paperwork not much anyone can do about it.

BoxNOne

That is a proven fact. Personally, I would just as soon there were no rules for moving about for players. Maybe have a date set where you must declare your school for the coming year if you are going to change schools and play sports.No living in the district requirements as they are a sham a lot of times anyway. AAA rules or lack thereof would not matter. That way everybody could get in on the adding players action.

2_4_the_show

I think ICC had a couple of pretty good recruits when they won the title in '08 - Caraway and Massey.  Melbourne recruited them the next year and went to the 2A finals...

Thechosen1

I don't see anything wrong with good players wanting to play with other good players and have a chance to compete at a high level. As long as they do everything legally, I think players are smart for doing it, you can't blame them bc mostly everyone complaining about it being wrong would do the same exact thing put in that position.

Catfish

Quote from: Thechosen1 on March 07, 2016, 06:01:06 pm
I don't see anything wrong with good players wanting to play with other good players and have a chance to compete at a high level. As long as they do everything legally, I think players are smart for doing it, you can't blame them bc mostly everyone complaining about it being wrong would do the same exact thing put in that position.

I agree with that as well. AS LONG AS THE COACH AND SCHOOL ARE NOT INVOLVED! That's when people get to talking. That's when it's wrong.

Thechosen1

Quote from: Catfish on March 07, 2016, 06:41:16 pm
I agree with that as well. AS LONG AS THE COACH AND SCHOOL ARE NOT INVOLVED! That's when people get to talking. That's when it's wrong.
Yes. Players on different teams are gonna talk to each other either through social media or may know each other and grown up together. As long as the coach stays out of it and the players talk to other players there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and nothing you can do to stop it.

PuddlePirate12

I wish magnolia had some good players lol. There aren't enough schools to pull talent from around here. Plus they won't let some ppl in. When Stephens shut down several did school choice to go to Emerson and the school board denied them lol

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 07, 2016, 05:04:20 pm
That is a proven fact. Personally, I would just as soon there were no rules for moving about for players. Maybe have a date set where you must declare your school for the coming year if you are going to change schools and play sports.No living in the district requirements as they are a sham a lot of times anyway. AAA rules or lack thereof would not matter. That way everybody could get in on the adding players action.

So are you on board with this rule for both private and public schools or public only?

dentist15

Seems pretty simple to me. If its legal in the eyes of the AAA for school-choice in public schools, then people need to get over it (or perhaps try to keep up with the Joneses). It's frustrating, but technically not against the rules. Kinda like its only a foul if it gets called. In an "ideal" world, this wouldn't be an issue, but alas, this is the real world.

Now private school recruiting is a different animal. How is it that it almost always (read: 99% of the time) seems to be some great athlete that gets awarded a scholarship to to go to a private school? I remember back in my day (lol....2004-2006), Fayetteville Christian had a group of foreign exchange students come to their school, and wouldn't you know it they happened to have been on junior national teams from the Caribbean. Why do private schools never seem to award scholarships (read: recruit) to students who have no athletic talent, but are extremely smart?

BoxNOne

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 08, 2016, 08:54:32 am
So are you on board with this rule for both private and public schools or public only?

I would support it for everyone. Don't get me wrong. The current rules would be ok with me but since there is zero enforcement, I say loosen it up and let all schools participate in the talent grab legally. The private schools are a whole different subject to me.

bluegrassboy75

There is where I disagree with people.  I went to a public school, but I don't see public vs private as different subjects.  Maybe back a few years ago it was, but now with School Choice and kids "moving" districts, you see it just as bad in public as private schools.  In my opinion, if you're going to make a rule (sit a year) for private, then public should be the same.  If you allow School Choice (deadline May xx), then the student should be able to go to a private school under these rules and be allowed to play as long as they meet the deadline. 

Moonshiner

^^ +1
I agree.  It's possibly/probably done more in public schools. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dentist15 on March 08, 2016, 09:16:39 am
Seems pretty simple to me. If its legal in the eyes of the AAA for school-choice in public schools, then people need to get over it (or perhaps try to keep up with the Joneses). It's frustrating, but technically not against the rules. Kinda like its only a foul if it gets called. In an "ideal" world, this wouldn't be an issue, but alas, this is the real world.

Now private school recruiting is a different animal. How is it that it almost always (read: 99% of the time) seems to be some great athlete that gets awarded a scholarship to to go to a private school? I remember back in my day (lol....2004-2006), Fayetteville Christian had a group of foreign exchange students come to their school, and wouldn't you know it they happened to have been on junior national teams from the Caribbean. Why do private schools never seem to award scholarships (read: recruit) to students who have no athletic talent, but are extremely smart?

How do you know the private schools are giving scholarships? Sacred heart girls wasnt very good....they just scrapped until the end of games and made second round of state because of it

PuddlePirate12

TC had to give some kind of scholarship to the 2 boys they got from hooks. Why would you leave a team that was state semi finalists in a public school to pay to go to a school that gets beat in regionals?

dentist15

Quote from: HF on March 08, 2016, 11:38:10 am
How do you know the private schools are giving scholarships? Sacred heart girls wasnt very good....they just scrapped until the end of games and made second round of state because of it

Because you have to pay money to go to private school, unless you get a scholarship or waiver of some kind (I am unaware of any tuition-free private schools in the state, but I could be wrong). Whether its a scholarship, or the school writes off or waives the cost of a students education, its the same thing. The school costs money to attend. And I don't know of any high-school students getting grant money from the government for their high school education.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: dentist15 on March 08, 2016, 01:12:50 pm
Because you have to pay money to go to private school, unless you get a scholarship or waiver of some kind (I am unaware of any tuition-free private schools in the state, but I could be wrong). Whether its a scholarship, or the school writes off or waives the cost of a students education, its the same thing. The school costs money to attend. And I don't know of any high-school students getting grant money from the government for their high school education.

WRONG!!

My son went to a private school and let me tell you there were no scholarships and we made monthly payments.  Did we have to?  No, it was our choice.  He liked it there and got a valuable education besides just learning how to take the state tests (he didn't have to take them since he went to a private school).  His grades and ACT score was payment enough to me for him going.  Oh BTW, he also played different sports and no, they didn't recruit anybody to play sports.  As a matter of fact, their boys team this year only won a handful of games.

dentist15

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 08, 2016, 02:16:34 pm
WRONG!!

My son went to a private school and let me tell you there were no scholarships and we made monthly payments.  Did we have to?  No, it was our choice.  He liked it there and got a valuable education besides just learning how to take the state tests (he didn't have to take them since he went to a private school).  His grades and ACT score was payment enough to me for him going.  Oh BTW, he also played different sports and no, they didn't recruit anybody to play sports.  As a matter of fact, their boys team this year only won a handful of games.

You just said you made monthly payments, so I am correct since it does cost money to go to a private school. I said the money has to come from somewhere, whether its scholarships or parents or the school waiving tuition......I apologize if it sounds like I am knocking every private school. Not my intent, as I know there are plenty of private schools that are focused on providing a good education, and put athletics in the extra-curricular activities (i.e. secondary to academics, where they should be). In terms of academics, I find private schools to be better, and I never said anything about the academic side of it......I'm glad your son enjoyed his education, and commend you as a parent for providing your son with a great education......Can you say that all private schools are like the one you sent your son to, and don't recruit

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: dentist15 on March 08, 2016, 02:25:12 pm

You just said you made monthly payments, so I am correct since it does cost money to go to a private school. I said the money has to come from somewhere, whether its scholarships or parents or the school waiving tuition......I apologize if it sounds like I am knocking every private school. Not my intent, as I know there are plenty of private schools that are focused on providing a good education, and put athletics in the extra-curricular activities (i.e. secondary to academics, where they should be). In terms of academics, I find private schools to be better, and I never said anything about the academic side of it......I'm glad your son enjoyed his education, and commend you as a parent for providing your son with a great education......Can you say that all private schools are like the one you sent your son to, and don't recruit

No, I cannot.  But can you say that Public schools don't recruit?  I see it coming from both sides and I think in order to be fair that if a parent or child decides to switch schools and there is a rule about sitting out a year like there is for Private schools, then the same should be for Public schools.  Right now there isn't. 

Now, do I think there will come a time where the rules are for everybody?  No, public schools have many more votes than private schools since there are more of them so they will not reverse their decision of a few years ago.  This is why a school such as Union Christian in Ft. Smith has decided to opt out of the AAA and go with the Oklahoma Christian School Athletic Association.  They had some students that wanted to just go to school there and play sports, but had to sit out a year due to AAA rules.  OCSAA doesn't have such rules.

dentist15

No I can't, and I never said that. I agree, it definitely comes from both sides, and there's plenty of public schools that are happy to "recruit" (read: maybe not directly through the Coach or school, but through parents and AAU/MAYB teams/coaches) role players/discontented players from other schools (this happens from small -> large, and large -> small). I see lots of complaints about Bay on here, but it happens at plenty of other schools too (Earle, GP, Emerson, Charleston, plenty of others). And you can't tell me that those small towns are just so attractive to families that they want to move their kids there for the greatness of the school/academics only.

And I agree there should be the same rule for both sides, whether there is a sit-out rule, or there isn't one, but it definitely shouldn't apply to one and not the other. But like you said, it will likely never happen.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: dentist15 on March 08, 2016, 03:24:25 pm
No I can't, and I never said that. I agree, it definitely comes from both sides, and there's plenty of public schools that are happy to "recruit" (read: maybe not directly through the Coach or school, but through parents and AAU/MAYB teams/coaches) role players/discontented players from other schools (this happens from small -> large, and large -> small). I see lots of complaints about Bay on here, but it happens at plenty of other schools too (Earle, GP, Emerson, Charleston, plenty of others). And you can't tell me that those small towns are just so attractive to families that they want to move their kids there for the greatness of the school/academics only.

And I agree there should be the same rule for both sides, whether there is a sit-out rule, or there isn't one, but it definitely shouldn't apply to one and not the other. But like you said, it will likely never happen.

+1

I love a good banter like this.  No one gets angry and we all act like adults.  Thanks for the conversation.

dentist15

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on March 08, 2016, 03:43:38 pm
+1

I love a good banter like this.  No one gets angry and we all act like adults.  Thanks for the conversation.

+1

Agreed. Discussion like adults is nice. Your welcome, and thank you too.

Balockay06

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 08, 2016, 12:18:39 pm
TC had to give some kind of scholarship to the 2 boys they got from hooks. Why would you leave a team that was state semi finalists in a public school to pay to go to a school that gets beat in regionals?
First off, hooks didn't make it to the semifinals. How is a private school gonna give a scholarship to an athlete?they don't have that kind of money.  Also, Idk why everyone has the idea that TC recruited those two guys. They won like 7 games the two years combined before this season. I don't think they could recruit a water boy, much less a d1 player and a talented pg.

PuddlePirate12

Well they left a 29-2 team to go to a 6-23 team ('14-'15). Two players from the same Texas HS move to the same Arkansas HS? And the PG has played at a different HS every year. Said TC wasn't good enough for him to stay next year lol. Why else would a D1 player and a talented PG leave a winning program to go to a private school where they have to pay to lose? Come on man

Balockay06

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 09, 2016, 05:32:41 pm
Well they left a 29-2 team to go to a 6-23 team ('14-'15). Two players from the same Texas HS move to the same Arkansas HS? And the PG has played at a different HS every year. Said TC wasn't good enough for him to stay next year lol. Why else would a D1 player and a talented PG leave a winning program to go to a private school where they have to pay to lose? Come on man
exactly, that's why they weren't recruited but  Thats harsh mr puddle. The point guard had to move a couple times because of parents jobs. They were best friends at hooks and once their second best scorer graduated and their coach moved they didn't want to stay anymore. Yeah maybe he has high expectations and wants to play with a good team. Locked Jeff up every time he guarded him but we won't hear anything about that.  What happens to Emerson after Jeff and tavion graduate?? Come on man

PuddlePirate12

Well after Tavion graduates they'll still be better than TC and after Jeff graduates.. Still better than TC! The PG told us they moved because he wanted to play at different schools. Not he played at different schools because he moved. And I wouldn't say he locked jeff up. Tanner kept Jeff from driving to the basket not the PG. and which of the boys fathers had to move his business to make sure they could even play this year? and you say that's why they weren't recruited? That makes no sense.. Whether they were recruited or not really doesn't matter now. Tanner is getting ready to play college ball and the PG is trying to figure out where to play next year

Balockay06

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 09, 2016, 07:26:19 pm
Well after Tavion graduates they'll still be better than TC and after Jeff graduates.. Still better than TC! The PG told us they moved because he wanted to play at different schools. Not he played at different schools because he moved. And I wouldn't say he locked jeff up. Tanner kept Jeff from driving to the basket not the PG. and which of the boys fathers had to move his business to make sure they could even play this year? and you say that's why they weren't recruited? That makes no sense.. Whether they were recruited or not really doesn't matter now. Tanner is getting ready to play college ball and the PG is trying to figure out where to play next year
I'm sure with that awesome jr high team. I didn't say TC would be better. I don't think they've ever been decent in bball till this year. Lol He used to live in Dallas until he moved down here. They put an iso for Jeff everytime but he turned the ball over and took an ugly shot. I was saying it makes no sense for them to come to TC because of recruiting since TC has never really been good. True mr puddle. Goodluck on Friday to Emerson and I hope they bring a title back.

PuddlePirate12

I didn't know you meant after our 10th graders graduate too. And still.. TC has had good junior highs before and were no where to be found in senior high when they got older.

Balockay06

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 09, 2016, 08:07:32 pm
I didn't know you meant after our 10th graders graduate too. And still.. TC has had good junior highs before and were no where to be found in senior high when they got older.
good point puddle hard to compete with those kids who play all year round.   I don't even care about that or who's better tho. I'm just tired of people  saying those two kids were recruited when they weren't. people always assuming stuff.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas