• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Southside, Stuttgart, and Pea Ridge...Overrated?

Started by Coltfan2005, August 25, 2018, 02:33:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltfan2005

SS, Ricebirds, and Pea Ridge did not live up to some people's expectations. Over rated? 1st game jitters? Opponents too strong? I will start off by saying Pea Ridge had a really tough opponent and I'm not ready to say they are over rated, just maybe picked a wee bit high in the rankings. SS also had a tough opponent but after a few spurts in the 1st half, did not appear to be a top 10 team in the 4A. Ricebirds astounded me. I didn't think they would be as good as their fans did, but I expected MUCH more than they showed.

noonerricky

Can someone give me a bigger upset than DeWitt beating Stuttgart??? I can't think of one in recent history.

SouthernerPride

The_Pioneer

It's really silly to make such broad sweeping statements after freakin week 1.  Just relax and let the season play out more than a week first.

SouthsideSouthernerDad

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 25, 2018, 02:33:26 pm
SS, Ricebirds, and Pea Ridge did not live up to some people's expectations. Over rated? 1st game jitters? Opponents too strong? I will start off by saying Pea Ridge had a really tough opponent and I'm not ready to say they are over rated, just maybe picked a wee bit high in the rankings. SS also had a tough opponent but after a few spurts in the 1st half, did not appear to be a top 10 team in the 4A. Ricebirds astounded me. I didn't think they would be as good as their fans did, but I expected MUCH more than they showed.
Well losing by 16 to the number one team in 4a in August could be a lot worse!  I am proud of our southerners! 

Coltfan2005

16? let's be honest and say 23. Pretty sure Warren was playing in August too. Week one and the heat work both ways. If Warren hadn't been playing in week 1 and in the heat they might have scored another 28 points. You should always be proud of the players on each team, but it doesn't mean they are top 10. I think Cave City should be proud of their kids, but the team isn't very good. Thankfully, SS has that weak conf schedule coming up to help their fans claim top 10 status.

SouthsideSouthernerDad

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 25, 2018, 03:21:16 pm
16? let's be honest and say 23. Pretty sure Warren was playing in August too. Week one and the heat work both ways. If Warren hadn't been playing in week 1 and in the heat they might have scored another 28 points. You should always be proud of the players on each team, but it doesn't mean they are top 10. I think Cave City should be proud of their kids, but the team isn't very good. Thankfully, SS has that weak conf schedule coming up to help their fans claim top 10 status.
Yes but maybe instead of downing other teams how about promoting your team! 

bigchief72455

I figure we will know who the top 10 teams in the 4A are after the third round of the playoffs.

smurf_you91

Southside no they are just finally putting it together they will struggle from time to time, Stuttgart no I mean  you can only beat a team do much before they luck out and put one in the record books against you, and Pea Ridge yes without a doubt probably the most overrated team in Arkansas high school football history ;)

richboy

August 25, 2018, 04:05:16 pm #9 Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:59:32 pm by richboy
Quote from: SouthernerPride on August 25, 2018, 03:09:29 pm
What about Arkadelphia?
we'll be okay. Meanwhile we have Benton next week. Just remember arkys top receiver/playmaker is out for 3 weeks until the season starts

Jsmith48

Quote from: SouthernerPride on August 25, 2018, 03:09:29 pm
What about Arkadelphia?
They lost. They would say they had their chances to close it out but didn't. They aren't dwelling on it because they have Benton coming to town next Friday.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: SouthsideSouthernerDad on August 25, 2018, 03:30:00 pm
Yes but maybe instead of downing other teams how about promoting your team! 

Disagreeing with other posters or with a poll is not downing  team, it's a conversation about the reality of a teams abilities or chances. I did not nor do not call an individual player out, because these are kids. BUT, there is no participation trophy in High School football. If you don't like reading other people's opinions because they hurt your feelings, perhaps you should stay of of FF and hang out with the rest of the snowflakes.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 25, 2018, 03:44:35 pm
I figure we will know who the top 10 teams in the 4A are after the third round of the playoffs.

Maybe. But then again, whoever Warren played in the first three rounds might be better than a team from the other bracket. They just didn't have to play Warren.

Redskin2015

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 25, 2018, 04:31:50 pm

Maybe. But then again, whoever Warren played in the first three rounds might be better than a team from the other bracket. They just didn't have to play Warren.
Clap!

bigchief72455

Razorhummer

Quote from: SouthsideSouthernerDad on August 25, 2018, 03:13:23 pm
Well losing by 16 to the number one team in 4a in August could be a lot worse!  I am proud of our southerners!
Agreed!

Coltfan2005

always be proud of the kids on your team. And always be aware of who the team scored that last touchdown against...and how long it took to do it.

Coltfan2005

17 position drop for the Ricebirds. I don't put much stock in their ratings but to drop a team 17 spots from a position you told them they deserved because of one loss?

JessieP

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 27, 2018, 08:34:07 pm
17 position drop for the Ricebirds. I don't put much stock in their ratings but to drop a team 17 spots from a position you told them they deserved because of one loss?

I can't get past that myself. 17 places? After one game? I'm thinking someone at Stuttgart flirted with someone at Hootens wife. You don't make a sweeping indictment like that after one game.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: JessieP on August 27, 2018, 09:22:44 pm
I can't get past that myself. 17 places? After one game? I'm thinking someone at Stuttgart flirted with someone at Hootens wife. You don't make a sweeping indictment like that after one game.

just weird

Coltfan2005

If I was going to ref rankings, it would be FF's. Much more even and apparently better informed.

Trackhawk

Quote from: smurf_you91 on August 25, 2018, 04:02:38 pm
Southside no they are just finally putting it together they will struggle from time to time, Stuttgart no I mean  you can only beat a team do much before they luck out and put one in the record books against you, and Pea Ridge yes without a doubt probably the most overrated team in Arkansas high school football history ;)
The most overrated team in Arkansas high school football history?  Either you are given to hyperbole or have spent a lot of time researching the football prospectives of hundreds of teams for dozens of decades....just to slam a particular high school football team, so I am inclined to believe the former.  Hooten's did have the Blackhawks at #4 pre-season, based on recent history, not on any kind of analysis of what the team has this year.  MaxPreps had them at #13 which is way more realistic.  The team lost nearly their entire offense from last year.  Pea Ridge is the ONLY 4A school that made the state semi-finals for the past three years, so there is that.  This year they have an all 5A non-conference schedule, a definite upgrade as the Hawks are not looking for easy wins, but games to get better.  Pea Ridge is not at the top 4A right now, but they have 9 weeks to get it together with their youngsters.   They will get better and they will be good, but how good?......that's always the question with high school aged athletes.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Trackhawk on August 28, 2018, 08:11:47 pm
  The most overrated team in Arkansas high school football history?  Either you are given to hyperbole or have spent a lot of time researching the football prospectives of hundreds of teams for dozens of decades....just to slam a particular high school football team, so I am inclined to believe the former.  Hooten's did have the Blackhawks at #4 pre-season, based on recent history, not on any kind of analysis of what the team has this year.  MaxPreps had them at #13 which is way more realistic.  The team lost nearly their entire offense from last year.  Pea Ridge is the ONLY 4A school that made the state semi-finals for the past three years, so there is that.  This year they have an all 5A non-conference schedule, a definite upgrade as the Hawks are not looking for easy wins, but games to get better.  Pea Ridge is not at the top 4A right now, but they have 9 weeks to get it together with their youngsters.   They will get better and they will be good, but how good?......that's always the question with high school aged athletes.

I see some valid points here. While I am sure that smurf was just trying to troll a little, since otherwise this would have been one of the dumber posts on FF, he did stretch it a little with the "all time comment". pea Ridge is playing 5A opponents, while not the best in the conf, they are better than a Paragould or a GCT. However, not that impressed with any 5A team other than PA. Good marks for Pea Ridge for making the semi-finals three years running, but losing most of your offense does not help clearing that one hurdle that seems to be tripping them up. Don't see them making it that far this year, but stranger things have happened and unknown elements all seem to jell at just the right time. Would not be shocked to see Pea Ridge conf champs. As far as all time most over rated team of all time? I don't even think they win that particular title in 2018 so far.

Trojanbird

Quote from: JessieP on August 27, 2018, 09:22:44 pm
Could be some truth to that statement! I

AirWarren

August 29, 2018, 05:18:55 am #24 Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:21:10 am by AirWarren
Batesville Southside will be a good football team come November. They play pretty good technique wise, tackle well, and for the most part don't commit a lot of penalties.

Teams that will give them fits are teams that can match line size, teams that can run the football, and teams that have speed. Otherwise, I believe the win the 2-4a. If they don't, I will be shocked.

STUNNA

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 28, 2018, 08:58:58 pm
I see some valid points here. While I am sure that smurf was just trying to troll a little, since otherwise this would have been one of the dumber posts on FF, he did stretch it a little with the "all time comment". pea Ridge is playing 5A opponents, while not the best in the conf, they are better than a Paragould or a GCT. However, not that impressed with any 5A team other than PA. Good marks for Pea Ridge for making the semi-finals three years running, but losing most of your offense does not help clearing that one hurdle that seems to be tripping them up. Don't see them making it that far this year, but stranger things have happened and unknown elements all seem to jell at just the right time. Would not be shocked to see Pea Ridge conf champs. As far as all time most over rated team of all time? I don't even think they win that particular title in 2018 so far.
LRCA will have a very good team in 5A

Romeo

Southside is a good team. Anyone that knows football and watched the game on Saturday wouldn't say otherwise.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Romeo on August 29, 2018, 08:40:40 am
Southside is a good team. Anyone that knows football and watched the game on Saturday wouldn't say otherwise.

They aren't as good as Pea Ridge....

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Romeo on August 29, 2018, 08:40:40 am

There's a difference between a good team and an excellent team. People keep using first game and the heat as a reason SS looked sloppy at times. Those people seem to want to forget it was Warren's first game and they played on the same day.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas