• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public & Private School Issues Merged Thread (2009)

Started by football_writer, August 01, 2006, 02:59:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True/False  Public Students must attend the HS in their district?

True
3 (8.1%)
False
34 (91.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Billyo62 on July 31, 2009, 06:16:26 pm
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 31, 2009, 05:03:19 pm
Quote from: gatecrasherfan on July 31, 2009, 04:56:59 pm
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 31, 2009, 04:51:42 pm
Quote from: johnharrison on July 31, 2009, 04:43:10 pm
Sure, and it is no different that a kid choosing to go to Shilow (yuk) for the same reason.
As Ned Flanders would say, "Abso-doodily-utely." Glad someone else shares that opinion. IMO, the manipulation of school choice among people in public schools is 10X to 20X more of a problem than transfers to a private school.
So you're saying my son should pass up a chance to play for the jewelry?

What if it was your kid?  You ain't gotta lie.....you know you would.....

Look I am not going to argue about it.....but school choice exists.  It's a sign of the times. 

If you think I'm going to deny my child a once-in-a-lifetime shot at a championship just because it's "right" or "wrong," you're crazier than I thought.....
I'm saying that the AAA, the governing body of this state's HS athletic programs, says is it improper and illegal to use school choice as a mask for athletics transfers. It's a rule. The rest means nothing.

I was pushed out of basketball in High school because 2 Brothers " Transferred " to my high school,  Happens all the time, they broke no rules, may have ruffled a few feathers, they did it to play for our coach, he retired with over 900 wins and many state titles at the highest level. The high school they came from was a joke and no one had any respect for their coach.  After their transfer, both brothers got 4- year college educations paid for.. how is that bad!
Again, it is a rule established by the AAA that prohibits using school choice for athletic purposes without sitting out a year if it happens after July 1st going into the tenth grade. I didn't make the rule, the schools in this state agreed to the rule.

These rules are only a few years old. What happened years ago now means nothing under the current rules set.

Quite Frankly

It's apparent some simply don't condone the use of any rules or at the minimum follow them.  It's not a select and choose situation.  You're either in or your out.  I continue to love the stretches people will go to for rationalizing blatant rule violations.

These very rules are still primarily the source of so many of the issues that plague our system.  People keep circumventing them in whatever way they see fit and in turn retard the system toward their own advantage at the expense of those that don't.

As discussed on other threads, the middle men are now the enablers that create the most problems.  People don't see them at the same threat level like they do a  staff coach from another school.  But they should.  It was the entire reason behind my Editorial #3 and since it was written it's played out in more scenarios.

gatecrasher

Hypothetically QF-what would you do if your son goes to suck-arss school A...and comes to you and tells you he wants to go to Championship School B because he wants a shot at a ring. I understand the rules are there. But this is YOUR kid. Forget this thread for a minute. What do you do?

gatecrasher

August 01, 2009, 12:10:26 am #1403 Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:14:24 am by gatecrasherfan
Do you see what I'm sayin though? It would be nearly impossible for me to deny my child that opportunity.

gatecrasher

Wow. How did that post 3x? I didn't do it. Lol.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on August 01, 2009, 12:08:09 am
Hypothetically QF-what would you do if your son goes to suck-arss school A...and comes to you and tells you he wants to go to Championship School B because he wants a shot at a ring. I understand the rules are there. But this is YOUR kid. Forget this thread for a minute. What do you do?

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on August 01, 2009, 12:10:26 am
Do you see what I'm sayin though? It would be nearly impossible for me to deny my child that opportunity.

It would not be the primary focus of my or my child's life to win a state championship with a high school football team.  I'd be sure as to not try an replace the void in my own life(as many do) by trying to live vicariously through my 16 year old to justify some failure in my own athletic career and life.  I would however instill in him the value of competition, personal development, working hard, developing relationships that he wouldn't turn his back on and loyalty.  All the while I'd be simultaneously stressing to him that his adolescence and entire high school experience would not be totally centered around athletics.  I'd rather stress scholastic, friendship, maturity and natural achievement within the framework of were he lives and how that develops naturally.

Anyone can 'move' to find a championship.  I fail to see how that comes close to earning one were you are at or even more importantly trying to be your best were you are and letting the results be a bonus.

So, to answer your question.  He'll stay were he was and do the best he can with his team and not tuck tail and run.  It's called life's lessons. 

DEBO64ETOWN

Gate,I see what you are saying, but QF has a point.When I was in 10th grade myself and 2 others were approached by 2 different coaches aid to come play for a certain championship school. We listen, but we stayed simply because we worked hard to get my hometown team a favorite to get to the Rock. We lost a heartbreaker in the 1st round, but theirs nothing I would do to change that. If we would have went on to the other schools and got a ring it would have been meaningless( don't get me wrong we wanted a ring). We would have been used to put a program over the top. It's like a player way past his prime signing on with team just to say I got a ring, means nothing in my opinion.

gatecrasher

I see yall's points. And they are very valid. Let me just say that I never once said anything to my son. He entertained the idea of moving to Hot Springs to live with me-but he wanted to play for a team with a legit shot at a title. My only point was that I wasn't going to argue with him. He's down at a 5A school in Baton Rouge with his mom. They won a title 3-4 yrs ago down there. He'll get a chance. But if he decides he wants to live with dad and wants to go to Lake Hamilton I'm not denying him.

DEBO64ETOWN

Ok, well that's different. Of course you put him in the best situation as possible. My bad, handle your business playa. Now let me ask you this Gate? I know who you would support, but if LH (with your son) and ELdo meet in the Rock how hard would it be.

Billyo62

Quote from: DEBO64ETOWN on August 01, 2009, 10:52:33 am
Ok, well that's different. Of course you put him in the best situation as possible. My bad, handle your business playa. Now let me ask you this Gate? I know who you would support, but if LH (with your son) and ELdo meet in the Rock how hard would it be.

GC---- I think would go with a "RING in The Family"  Just my guess! Wouldn't be that hard!

gatecrasher

It would be a little awkward at first thought-but I would have to don the maroon and yellow! Lol!

DEBO64ETOWN

Rudehog

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on August 01, 2009, 10:37:30 am
I see yall's points. And they are very valid. Let me just say that I never once said anything to my son. He entertained the idea of moving to Hot Springs to live with me-but he wanted to play for a team with a legit shot at a title. My only point was that I wasn't going to argue with him. He's down at a 5A school in Baton Rouge with his mom. They won a title 3-4 yrs ago down there. He'll get a chance. But if he decides he wants to live with dad and wants to go to Lake Hamilton I'm not denying him.

Then don't deny him, simply move into Lake Hamilton's attendence zone and problem solved. After all you would want your property tax funds going to your childs school and there would be no controversy

gatecrasher

Or he could use school choice. I'm buying a house elsewhere in Garland County. I wouldn't be moving.

GLion Alum

While most will find fault with today's vote by the AAA, I think it was probably the best possible outcome.  A private school playoff system would be a farce in Arkansas where there are so few private schools fielding football teams.  The vote of 114-93 against Prop 7 and 247-25 for Prop 8 tells me a couple of things:

1.  There are schools that realize separate playoffs wouldn't work  well, but didn't want to side with the private schools--65 schools voted on Prop 8 but abstained from voting on Prop 7.

2.  The private schools have a real problem with their relations with the public schools.  All this talk about the whiners, the public schools just needing to work harder, etc., hasn't gone over well.  My suggestion to the private schools--concentrate your efforts more on improving your relations with the public schools and less on hyping your players, your programs, your championships, your margins of victory, etc. 

All of us want to be "Winners,"  but, if we are fortunate enough to win, it should be with class, showing some sensitivity to the feelings of the loser, and it should be done on a level playing field, rules-wise.

Cabotfan

Quote from: GLion Alum on August 04, 2009, 02:05:19 pm
1.  There are schools that realize separate playoffs wouldn't work  well, but didn't want to side with the private schools--65 schools voted on Prop 8 but abstained from voting on Prop 7.

Quote from: Coach DePriest, PA on August 06, 2009, 11:54:29 am
It is obvious that a lot of people, including media members such as Wally Hall, severely misunderstand who can vote on each of these proposals.  No one (or hardly anyone) at the meeting abstained from voting on proposal 7.  By rule, only high schools could vote on proposals #2, #4, #6, and #7.  206 voted on 2 and 4, 202 voted on 6, and 207 voted on 7.  Since proposal #8 affected grades 7-12, all schools were allowed to vote, so middle schools accounted for the extra 65 votes.

I just wanted to clear that up.  Had I not known how the system worked, I would have thought the same thing.

onlyanobserver

Quote from: ArkBuc on July 27, 2009, 01:24:41 pm
You are right in that private school kids bring nothing to the public school coffers.  But they cost nothing also.

Arkansas private schools overall are rare and fairly small.  Amazing they create so much controversy.

Parents of private school kids still pay property taxes that go to the public school district they're in. So I don't get your point. It doesn't exempt you from paying a tax benefiting public schools where you live.

johnharrison

Surely clock management by the losing team plays a role in huge blow-outs.

Heck there are only 16 minutes to use up.

How much time per series could I use up by taking all the play clock and falling on the ball?

Could I exend it much by being slow to get up?

What if I actually let the clock run out?  How long to get the penalty marked off and reset.  How about it coach calls the line judge over to "chat with him" about the call?

I guess the QB could see how far down-field he could throw the call and let the WR take his time.

Obviously I could use close to 2 minutes, but how much longer could I go without a FD.  3 minutes, 4 if the refs weren't pushing it?

Any other subtle (or not so subtle ways to get out of town)

Yeah, I know we are always supposed to try to win, but face it, if the sportsmanship rule is in place, you are going to lose.  Why throw a interception of first down.?

Quite Frankly

johnharrison

Quote from: QF© on August 17, 2009, 06:08:47 pm
You're just odd.

Yeah, but you watched the tape of Berryville - Aints.  Berryville could have held the score closer if they had used the clock and didn't turn the ball over.

Quite Frankly

You talk about it more than they do.  They're told to try harder by all those the rip them.  But the mercy rule was designed as an indicator to the dominating team to shut it down and show mercy.  It's the totality of the game and the summation of their actions that count.

It's not that complicated to most.

gatecrasher

If I'm up big I am emptying my bench. It could mean my 3rd string QB is throwing with a 48-0 lead but it allows guys that would otherwise not play to get valuable experience.

OldScrap

Coaches are in a tough position, they need the wins to keep their job, or at least have more wins than losses and or to get a better coaching job they need many wins or championships. I suppose its hard for some of them to play will the ones in their school, and be happy to have done the best they can with the players they had.

Of course many of our schools, if they could get them to come out for football, probably have several boys who probably would be very good football players. To get them interested, to get them on the football field it take some extra effort from the coaching staff. For some, maybe it seems easier to just draft  some good players from another school.

Yes, many parents who has a young boy that seems to be a great football player, its just hard for them to do things in the manner QF laid out.

As for the cheating, seems its awful hard to catch and prove. That is without someone who has been approached letting it be known that a school and or someone on their behalf is trying to get them to come to their school to play ball. I suppose the thrill of getting to play on a winning team, a better opportunity to get a championship, a big ring, a scholarship, is worth more than loyalty to ones own school and abiding by the rules. After all, for those people rules are only made for the losers. And when the losers complain about rules being broken they're called whiners by the winners and told to practice harder.

Them to, I suppose many would not tell about it, for it would bring some very unfavorable publicly, even bashing, maybe death threats, telling about a well thought of coach or school that wins lots of games, even championships, is cheating.

QPWFB

August 19, 2009, 06:38:44 am #1424 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:56:39 am by QPWFB
Quote from: onlyanobserver on August 06, 2009, 01:56:11 pm
You are right in that private school kids bring nothing to the public school coffers.  But they cost nothing also.

Arkansas private schools overall are rare and fairly small.  Amazing they create so much controversy.

Parents of private school kids still pay property taxes that go to the public school district they're in. So I don't get your point. It doesn't exempt you from paying a tax benefiting public schools where you live.
You have no idea how public school funding works. I realize that everyone pays taxes,and that means everyone ,kids or no kids. Paying state and local taxes supports your community as a whole ,water dept.,fire dept ,street dept,police,parks and rec. and yes the public school system.Wheather or not you choose to use any of these services is totally up to each individual,but everyone helps pay for them. If you opt not too drive a car is your choice,but you still have too pay to maintain the streets in your community.
      But lets be very clear on one point,in no way does it benifit a public school for the kids living within their district to opt out for any reason.

johnharrison

Quote from: QPWFB on August 19, 2009, 06:38:44 am

You have no idea how public school funding works. I realize that everyone pays taxes,and that means everyone ,kids or no kids. Paying state and local taxes supports your community as a whole ,water dept.,fire dept ,street dept,police,parks and rec. and yes the public school system.Wheather or not you choose to use any of these services is totally up to each individule,but everyone helps pay for them. If you opt not too drive a car is your choice,but you still have too pay to maintain the streets in your community.
      But lets be very clear on one point,in no way does it benifit a public school for the kids living within their district to opt out for any reason.

That's mostly right.  Many communities have special millages on property which are designated specifically for education.  Raise the millage = more money for schools (not more police)

QPWFB

Quote from: johnharrison on August 19, 2009, 06:50:19 am

You have no idea how public school funding works. I realize that everyone pays taxes,and that means everyone ,kids or no kids. Paying state and local taxes supports your community as a whole ,water dept.,fire dept ,street dept,police,parks and rec. and yes the public school system.Wheather or not you choose to use any of these services is totally up to each individule,but everyone helps pay for them. If you opt not too drive a car is your choice,but you still have too pay to maintain the streets in your community.

That's mostly right.  Many communities have special millages on property which are designated specifically for education.  Raise the millage = more money for schools (not more police)
Agreed,but that holds true for most all local and state taxes,our community recently voted to raise our sales tax by 1/2 a percent too help fund parks and rec dept.,none of the other services will benifit from the increase,everyone that makes a purchase within our city limits will pay the tax and the increase,only a small percentage will actually use the facilities,but its there for them if they want to use it!

HA_Fan

If you're only speaking about funding, that might be true.  However, it could help with classroom space and student/teacher ratios amongst other things.

johnharrison

I read last week that 25% of central Arkansas students attend private school, about 10,000 I think.

If they all decided to attend public schools, there would be a crisis.

The good news is that the public schools would receive about $50,000,000 ($5K/student).  The bad news is that other public schools would give up $50,000,000

ricepig

Quote from: johnharrison on August 19, 2009, 09:22:10 am
I read last week that 25% of central Arkansas students attend private school, about 10,000 I think.

If they all decided to attend public schools, there would be a crisis.

The good news is that the public schools would receive about $50,000,000 ($5K/student).  The bad news is that other public schools would give up $50,000,000

Link? Just wondering what constitutes "Central Arkansas" in your statement. Money would stay the same, courts would make either the state or districts raise the taxes. I guess in your mind you are doing the state a favor by sending your kids to a private school. I have no problem with it, but you are always trying to justify it.

QPWFB

A couple of years ago we hired a firm to verify all the students in our district. Let me explain,we wanted to know how many kids lived in our district,but attended school at one of our boardering district,were home schooled,or for what ever reason,just didn't attend our school.
     After much reaserch,leg work ,phone calls, and meetings with other schools super's it was discovered that we had between 110 and 130 kids that lived in our district,but attended school else where.Now keep in mind we only have 610-620 kids K-12,so your talking about 20%. That's 650,000-700,000 dollars each year thats not in our budget. That could have provided new facilities,more teachers,better technology. So in essence the kids that are attending our school are not seeing those improvements because of the lost funding.
     One good thing that came from the verification process is that we found out we had 40 or so kids that were illigally attending the other districts,and those kids were sent back, some stayed some didn't,but we gained a few kids.
     Now if you asked our supt. if he would like to have those kids back,his answer would be YES,but not all at once , that would be a difficult transition for anyone.But brought back over time,thats how they left, would be wonderful,thats called growth,and that is rewarded by the state. With growth, funding becomes availible to provide the needed facilities and teachers.

johnharrison

rice - I'll look for the reference. It was in the Dem Gaz within the last week (but there on-line access sucks so badly I'll have to dig through the trash at home).  Good question though, not sure how they defined it.  Don't think it was LR only, but doubt it included Conway Bryant etc.  It was much larger than I would have thought.

QP - Yeah  you are right.  (It sucks to lose those kids but heck, the biggest donor in my church left last year.  It hurts us, but it is his choice.)

A community has to ask itself, 'Why are they leaving"?  Academics, sports, shorter travel, nicer buildings, etc.  Then you have to ask if you can fix it.  Don't forget, only a portion of the school income comes from the state, local taxes can support the school as well.  Bump the property tax, raise another $250,000, fix what made them leave, reap the benefit when you get them back,  (or you attract kids from other districts). 

How much difference does the local tax make?  Look at Greenwood, Bentonville and Clarendon and Lake View.  The inability of some district to raise taxes was the basis for the big lawsuit that makes the rich schools share with the poor ones.

Old Viking

August 19, 2009, 10:52:10 am #1432 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:58:24 am by Old Viking
I would have to ask the same question as John. Why would 20%(one out of every five) students that live in your district not want to go to your school? In "Central Arkansas" 25%(one out of four) choose the non-"public option".

QPWFB

Well it's easy too automatically assume that there must be a problem. Remember this happened over time not all at once.Some of the parents were contacted and asked why they chose to go else where. The number one reason givin was because the other school was more convient too there work situation or commute. Many actually lived closer to the other districts campus. Our district boundries are long and narrow on the south end,some folks didn't even realize they lived in our district. Almost half of these kids were never enrolled in our school. Only about 10 % of those contacted had a negative reason for not attending,and those reasons varied.

Old Viking

I know this is a sports board but I wish that children could go to school where ever their parents wished for them to go. Vouchers would be the best way to accomplish this. Make the school produce a product that is attractive for parents to want to get them there.Your child may want to be in the EAST program at Greenbrier(now nationally famous) or be in a bigger band program because that is his or her gift. I understand that Conway High is starting Mandarin Chinese this year. I really think that if more parents were involved in their children's education and demanded excellence from their schools and effort from their children the output of our public schools would not be lagging behind the rest of the world. 

transplant

Our country has decided that everyone should be educated.  Most of the countries that are ahead of the U.S in test scores have made a different decision and have very different educational systems. 

The kids in the other nations that would be a drag on the scores (and on other students) are in vacational programs (usually by age 12-14) and out of the education system before our kids are seniors.  That may be a direction you would like for us to go...if so, call your congressman.

johnharrison

Actually, not just educated, but college educated!

But I think we miss the boat in de-emphasizing our vocational training.

There is nothing wrong with spending 2 to 4 years and learning a trade and earning more than any of your former classmates (for awhile).  20 years old and $40,000 a year isn't so bad.

For some kids there is a lot to be said for dumping calculus and studying bookkeeping, for dropping Shakespeare and concentrating of basic grammar and writing, for replacing studion art with CAD/CAM.

......but it ought to be a choice not a limitation.

QPWFB

Quote from: Old Viking on August 19, 2009, 01:03:40 pm
I know this is a sports board but I wish that children could go to school where ever their parents wished for them to go. Vouchers would be the best way to accomplish this. Make the school produce a product that is attractive for parents to want to get them there.Your child may want to be in the EAST program at Greenbrier(now nationally famous) or be in a bigger band program because that is his or her gift. I understand that Conway High is starting Mandarin Chinese this year. I really think that if more parents were involved in their children's education and demanded excellence from their schools and effort from their children the output of our public schools would not be lagging behind the rest of the world. 
I don't know how that would ever work,smaller schools can't compete with larger schools,schools with smaller budgets would just fall further behind then go away,then we would have one mega school per county.Small schools offer what they can afford to offer,they build what they can afford to build. As kids leave they would have less funding to work with so they would offer less,then more kids will leave.
      Now if they were to give each district the exact same budget to work with each year,and allow each to build the exact same facilities,athletic and academic,then you might have a plan. Put everyone on an even playing field. Then let the parents decide where they want to go.

DEBO64ETOWN

QP, I agree somewhat and I disagree. I think the location of schools make it diffcult for some small schools. For example Earle (3a school) has set up programs for the kids to go to MSCC ( West Memphis ) and get a leg up on college life, and job placement skills. Now I know most small schools can't compete with big schools financially, but they can work with the community colleges and major colleges to set up programs. The problem I've seen first hand is parent support is down, which is the main cause for low test scores.

DEBO64ETOWN

Transplant, I feel where you are coming from. We (USA) put almost 80% in sports. While some other places put their emphasis on studies/education. And part of it is because we don't have the struggles as the rest of the world. While we have the good life going,they study their butt off to get what we sometimes take for granted and that's the American life. Other countries go hard in books so they can come here and get a piece of the pie. While we mainly focus on sports.

johnharrison

Very few high schools in Europe and South America play sports.

Typical a community will have Football Clubs or Basketball Clubs which organize teams of people who want to play.

School is school, what you do on the evenings and weekends is for fun.

Interestingly though, the intracity competition is as fierce or more so than HS sports are here.

DEBO64ETOWN

JH, I know that they have competitive sports and some are as fierce as ours. But hands down we have better athletes. What I mean is overseas they put education as their top priority in most places and in some cultures it's the only way to succeed or most important, a way in the USA. Now that we have globalized our sports and started picking up players from other countries, it's now a little easier for people from other countries to get in the USA ( thus not putting a big emphasis on just education). Before that it was either education or get smuggled in. And my friend if you think education is just for fun or something to do on weekends or in the evenings then you have no idea what goes on over their, in half of those cultures. A lot of kids get discipline real good if their not where that person think they should be.

johnharrison

You may be partly correct but not totally.

Go to any college in America and look at the tennis team.  90% are European.  Football (soccer) look at the world class teams.  Long distance runners go to the Africans.  Gymnastics (not a sport).

but yes, we allow kids to go to school dreaming they will be a pro athlete.

Fact is, there are more black neurosurgeons than their are starting point guards in the NBA.   Sports is the way out for........very.......few.

Education is important

DEBO64ETOWN

That's very true JH, I forgot about tennis. And by no means am I saying that our education is not great. I think it's the greatest in the world. It's just these parents now days- that's my rant.

True Fan

Quote from: johnharrison on August 19, 2009, 02:05:41 pm
Actually, not just educated, but college educated!

But I think we miss the boat in de-emphasizing our vocational training.

There is nothing wrong with spending 2 to 4 years and learning a trade and earning more than any of your former classmates (for awhile).  20 years old and $40,000 a year isn't so bad.

For some kids there is a lot to be said for dumping calculus and studying bookkeeping, for dropping Shakespeare and concentrating of basic grammar and writing, for replacing studion art with CAD/CAM.

......but it ought to be a choice not a limitation.

Great post. +1

With the current focus on education, most high schools are very reluctant to encourage vocational training. It is only an option for students that have given up. The career centers are full of students that the schools do not want on campus. Students with good grades and no discipline history are pushed to stay on the "college" track. That's why so much is spent on adult vocational training, when it could have easily been the students focus in high school. NCLB has dumbed down the American classroom. Most people don't realize that it's main focus is achievement gap. It's not as much about bringing up the bottom, as keeping the top near the bottom.

DEBO64ETOWN

QF, JH, TF, or someone that has inside info. Have they stopped promoting kids in high school or is that just in some areas?

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: DEBO64ETOWN on August 21, 2009, 07:31:45 am
QF, JH, TF, or someone that has inside info. Have they stopped promoting kids in high school or is that just in some areas?

I'm not sure you typed what you meant to ask, or maybe I don't understand your question.  I can tell you that students in Arkansas are promoted from one grade to the next, every year.

DEBO64ETOWN

My bad should have explained more, I mean if a child is in lets say 7th grade and can do 10th grade level work across the board, will they make him/her suffer or put them in the 10th grade. I'm all rewarding a child for excellance in the class room. That's what I meant.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas