• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weather Cancellations

Started by HorseFeathers, February 24, 2015, 09:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Well looks like we are in for another round of Winter Weather this week...So please post all cancellations in this thread so we'll have them in one place.. Thanks

basketballmom#3

yesteryearman

Quote from: basketballmom#3 on February 25, 2015, 10:27:23 am
No games tonight in Emerson.

How about some cross country skiing instead!  At least you could here northeast of Camden

PuddlePirate12

Finals will be Monday as of right now

J.D.

I'm not so sure Thursday games will be played either. 

yesteryearman

Quote from: J.D. on February 25, 2015, 11:28:09 am

What is most likely scenario if games can't be played on Thursday?  Play all the opening round games on Friday, starting early in the day?  If that is done, then Oden would have to leave at 6am to get to Emerson for early games.  Or play Friday, Sat, Sun, and Mon.

J.D.

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 25, 2015, 11:55:08 am

What is most likely scenario if games can't be played on Thursday?  Play all the opening round games on Friday, starting early in the day?  If that is done, then Oden would have to leave at 6am to get to Emerson for early games.  Or play Friday, Sat, Sun, and Mon.

You're looking at a 'anything could be possible' type of schedule.  Seriously. 

It just depends on when games can actually get started, and the earlier the better.  However, I just don't see this thing getting started until at least Friday, possibly Saturday.   

PuddlePirate12

It's suppose to get up to 40 tomorrow. But I'm not sure how long it'll take to melt. Then it'll be back down to the twenties that night so it'll refreeze

J.D.

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on February 25, 2015, 01:34:31 pm
It's suppose to get up to 40 tomorrow. But I'm not sure how long it'll take to melt. Then it'll be back down to the twenties that night so it'll refreeze

Depends on how much snow SW Arkansas (in general) got.  If it's a fairly small amount, perhaps it could happen.

Just hope for sunshine. 

yesteryearman

Quote from: J.D. on February 25, 2015, 01:27:09 pm

It just depends on when games can actually get started, and the earlier the better.  However, I just don't see this thing getting started until at least Friday, possibly Saturday.

I understand the "anything could be possible" type of schedule, but it will not be fair to the kids from Region 4 , if the tournament cannot start until Friday or Saturday, to play 3 games in 3 or 4 days, ending on Monday and then travel to the state tournament and play on Tuesday or Wednesday .  If a team is fortunate to win under such circumstances, then they will be at a huge disadvantage as the state tournament progresses, with games piling up.  Especially when you note that the boys winner from Region 4 would play a quarterfinal game on Friday at 5:30, and if they win, have to come back and play semifinal at 1:30 on Sat.  A team would have to play and win 6 games in 8 days.

If the tournament can't start on Thurs or certainly by Friday, then I believe that serious consideration should be given to seeding based on district/season/head to head records, and possibly only play a finals to determine the 1 and 2 seeds into state tournament.

bulldog42

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 25, 2015, 01:48:12 pm

I understand the "anything could be possible" type of schedule, but it will not be fair to the kids from Region 4 , if the tournament cannot start until Friday or Saturday, to play 3 games in 3 or 4 days, ending on Monday and then travel to the state tournament and play on Tuesday or Wednesday .  If a team is fortunate to win under such circumstances, then they will be at a huge disadvantage as the state tournament progresses, with games piling up.  Especially when you note that the boys winner from Region 4 would play a quarterfinal game on Friday at 5:30, and if they win, have to come back and play semifinal at 1:30 on Sat.  A team would have to play and win 6 games in 8 days.

If the tournament can't start on Thurs or certainly by Friday, then I believe that serious consideration should be given to seeding based on district/season/head to head records, and possibly only play a finals to determine the 1 and 2 seeds into state tournament.
2 Years ago weather like this hit and delayed some of the regionals and they did not move the state tournaments.  They played the games and no it wasn't fair, but there were kids who played on a Monday night got on a bus for four hours and played early Tuesday. 

yesteryearman

Well I know that some will say that back in 19... or 20...  due to bad weather such and such region had to finish on Monday and then play in state tournament....tell me then how did those teams fare in the state tournament.

yesteryearman

Quote from: bulldog42 on February 25, 2015, 01:52:37 pm

2 Years ago weather like this hit and delayed some of the regionals and they did not move the state tournaments.  They played the games and no it wasn't fair, but there were kids who played on a Monday night got on a bus for four hours and played early Tuesday.

Who gets the gate from Regional games....so, the games must go on, whether or not it is fair to the kids.  If it's not all about money, and if games cannot be played in a reasonable and fair timeframe, then find another way to seed, and thus give each team equal footing.

bulldog42

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 25, 2015, 02:06:35 pm
Quote from: bulldog42 on February 25, 2015, 01:52:37 pm

Who gets the gate from Regional games....so, the games must go on, whether or not it is fair to the kids.  If it's not all about money, and if games cannot be played in a reasonable and fair timeframe, then find another way to seed, and thus give each team equal footing.
I am not saying it is right, there are a lot of things that are not right, but just going off of past history I would say things will not get pushed unless there is no other option.  If things were done right then the state games would be centrally located, etc...Again not disagreeing with you just saying I don't think they will push things.....or just seed out the games....

Batman44

Arkansas is light years behind on how state tournaments should be held. Also, about 3 classifications too many.

J.D.

Quote from: Batman44 on February 25, 2015, 02:27:19 pm
Arkansas is light years behind on how state tournaments should be held. Also, about 3 classifications too many.

This

PuddlePirate12

There's about 4-5 inches of snow in magnolia and it's still pouring down. Some people said they've measured as much as 7 inches a couple hours north of here. Not looking good for Thursday start at all

Batman44

Thanks J. D. I knew you was a gentleman and a scholar the night I ask for, and you was willing, to give me your seat along side your beautiful companion. P.S. It was all in good fun. You know that, I'm sure.

J.D.

Quote from: Batman44 on February 25, 2015, 03:20:59 pm
Thanks J. D. I knew you was a gentleman and a scholar the night I ask for, and you was willing, to give me your seat along side your beautiful companion. P.S. It was all in good fun. You know that, I'm sure.

At the time I think it took me by surprise more than anything.  But yes, all good fun!

ballmember

With bad weather it is not fair for kids to play regional one day and state the next;  however, if this game of basketball is about the kids, then ALL kids want to play, it may not happen again for them; they would not want to take a number and be assigned;   that is what some adults want; kids are playing for the fun of basketball and may never pick up a ball again; so more games they get to play the better.   Sometimes life aint fair , however, hope can bunch games and even play on sunday. Some might have to play 2 in one day.  Lets be real fair and ask the kids if they want to play or be assigned a number...........

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on February 25, 2015, 04:23:03 pm
With bad weather it is not fair for kids to play regional one day and state the next;  however, if this game of basketball is about the kids, then ALL kids want to play, it may not happen again for them; they would not want to take a number and be assigned;   that is what some adults want; kids are playing for the fun of basketball and may never pick up a ball again; so more games they get to play the better.   Sometimes life aint fair , however, hope can bunch games and even play on sunday. Some might have to play 2 in one day.  Lets be real fair and ask the kids if they want to play or be assigned a number...........

Fairly certain Omaha in 2012...Played Sunday, and MOnday...Turned around and drove 4 hours to play the first or second boys game at Bradley and got torched by Stephens. Only reason I remember this is they came out on here saying welcome to the south blah blah blah...fairly certain they lost the next round. I posted that to say...it's happened before, it'll happen again. Someone will be mad, someone will say suck it up...it's life in High School Sports...

PuddlePirate12

Idc how far they had to drive. That 2012 Stephens team would've torched anyone in 1a if they had half a coach. They played Bay and were out coached. They ran 1-3-1 all season and absolutely destroyed everyone with it. Got to state and the coach has em running man.. Against a team that sees man defense probably 90% of the time and 1-3-1 what..? 5%.. Maybe. That coach was an idiot. They had too much talent not to win. An they were unselfish. They had 6 or 7 players that could score 30 any night. And they shared the ball and didn't take stupid shots. Still a bunch of thugs.. Always trying to fight someone and making fun of teams they were beating by 60.. But boy could they play some basketball. It was pretty to watch them. Not when they played Emerson though! They beat us four times that year.. But we upset them at their place!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on February 25, 2015, 09:00:02 pm
Idc how far they had to drive. That 2012 Stephens team would've torched anyone in 1a if they had half a coach. They played Bay and were out coached. They ran 1-3-1 all season and absolutely destroyed everyone with it. Got to state and the coach has em running man.. Against a team that sees man defense probably 90% of the time and 1-3-1 what..? 5%.. Maybe. That coach was an idiot. They had too much talent not to win. An they were unselfish. They had 6 or 7 players that could score 30 any night. And they shared the ball and didn't take stupid shots. Still a bunch of thugs.. Always trying to fight someone and making fun of teams they were beating by 60.. But boy could they play some basketball. It was pretty to watch them. Not when they played Emerson though! They beat us four times that year.. But we upset them at their place!

Yeah...they came on here running their mouths after that game, then got beat by double digits by Bay....And isn't this basically the same storey for Bradley and Stephens for bout 5 or 6 years in a row...More talent than an all star team from the North, and still couldn't get it done in state?

PuddlePirate12

I'm not sure. I just know the same year Stephens was so good (2012) Bradley was just as good. Neither made the finals though. If Stephens had more of a coach they would've made it. If Bradley had less of a coach they would have too. I say this about Bradley because they had a boy (Judge Larry was his name) that was by far the best player on that team (believe he was a 10th grader) that got caught smoking weed at school and was kicked off the team. A coach that was all about winning would've allowed him back on for the sake of winning. Coach Harris didnt. I have more respect for coach Harris because of this one decision than I have for him for his 2 or 3 state championships. And by the way.. 2 of those Bradley boys are playing college basketball. Broderick Brandon is at Philander Smith and Reece Dunlop is at Southern Arkansas University. Atleast 2 of the Stephens boys went to play college ball. Cortes Martin at SAU and a boy they called BoBo, the 6'7" boy, went to SAU to play ball. I believe BoBo is at some community college and Martin quit SAU. Now 4 college players from one district in one year? That's some talent

yesteryearman

Any word yet on games today in Emerson?

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 26, 2015, 08:56:56 am

The games scheduled for yesterday will be played today. So 1 vs 4 tonight 2 vs 3 tomorrow

J.D.

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on February 26, 2015, 09:45:26 am
Quote from: yesteryearman on February 26, 2015, 08:56:56 am

The games scheduled for yesterday will be played today. So 1 vs 4 tonight 2 vs 3 tomorrow

Awesome!  One day delay is not near as harsh as what this schedule could have been.

PuddlePirate12

Yes and I heard finals will be Sunday with consolation games beginning at one. This is not certain though. But as of right now that's how it will be

#1kirbytrojanfan

Yes and I heard finals will be Sunday with consolation games beginning at one. This is not certain though. But as of right now that's how it will be

This would be a great schedule  ;D

yesteryearman

Quote from: #1kirbytrojanfan on February 26, 2015, 12:01:39 pm

Has AAA ever allowed games on Sunday?  From what I've read thru the various threads, the finals have usually been pushed to Monday.  However, this year, with so many sites having to postpone yesterday, this year might be different.  I agree that playing on Sunday would be good and give those teams a day to get ready to start state tournament, like everybody else does

WPWells

Here's a trivia question for y'all:

What is the ONLY time that the AAA has allowed games to take place on a Sunday? Hint: I attended this tournament

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 26, 2015, 12:06:40 pm

Has AAA ever allowed games on Sunday?  From what I've read thru the various threads, the finals have usually been pushed to Monday.  However, this year, with so many sites having to postpone yesterday, this year might be different.  I agree that playing on Sunday would be good and give those teams a day to get ready to start state tournament, like everybody else does

I was told it was AAA who said play on sunday. The tournament director would prefer Monday I believe. Just because with games being at 1 none of the 7W district will be able to attend church if they wish

Moonshiner

I know of one district this year that asked the AAA this year to play on Sunday and they were told no way!!  Even though it has been done in the past.

yesteryearman

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on February 26, 2015, 01:28:11 pm
Quote from: yesteryearman on February 26, 2015, 12:06:40 pm

I was told it was AAA who said play on sunday. The tournament director would prefer Monday I believe. Just because with games being at 1 none of the 7W district will be able to attend church if they wish

Start at 4p, that way everyone could go to church.  Have everyone pay 2x so that you don't have to empty the gym and AAA coffers can remain full.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on February 26, 2015, 12:35:26 pm

What is the ONLY time that the AAA has allowed games to take place on a Sunday? Hint: I attended this tournament
Actually the AAA has held games TWO different times on a Sunday. I think it was either four or five years ago, the Class 1A state baseball championship game was held on a Sunday and two years ago the Region 1 had Sunday games.
Playing on a Monday is not ideal because the state tournaments start on Tuesday

yesteryearman

Quote from: Googlymoogly on February 26, 2015, 01:46:33 pm

Actually the AAA has held games TWO different times on a Sunday. I think it was either four or five years ago, the Class 1A state baseball championship game was held on a Sunday and two years ago the Region 1 had Sunday games.

I agree, Sunday makes the most sense.

Googlymoogly

Looked it up, it was in 2011 when they had a lot of rain in Fayetteville state finals weekend and moved the 1A, 2A and 7A state baseball championship games to UCA on Sunday, May 22

yesteryearman

Quote from: Googlymoogly on February 26, 2015, 01:59:29 pm

Looked it up, it was in 2011 when they had a lot of rain in Fayetteville state finals weekend and moved the 1A, 2A and 7A state baseball championship games to UCA on Sunday, May 22

On AAA website Class 3A Region 2 and Region 4 brackets have been updated with finals on Sunday.  Semi's on Sat start earlier in the day.  So sounds like it will be up to the Region 4 Tournament Director and his minions to decide if finals will be played on Sunday.

WPWells

The one I was referencing was Region 1 basketball at County Line High School in 2013. I was a senior at Charleston High School and we had been able to start our tournament a day earlier so our championships weren't until the following day, so the 1A region 1 semis were played on a Sunday, and I attended

PuddlePirate12

Finals are for sure Sunday starting at 1 pm I heard tonight

NEArkie

February 28, 2015, 10:23:58 am #40 Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:57:56 pm by NEArkie
Today's games at Hillcrest have been postponed till Sunday,
  consolation games start at 2 and  the championship games will start at 4:30.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas