• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delta Football in the 1980's

Started by Lions84, April 10, 2014, 03:33:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Luxora7

Luxora officially recognized as Wilkins Field...but known to most as GraveYard Stadium..........ghost programs as another website called programs that are no longer with us...Luxora ...Turrell...Parkin...Crawsfordsville.....you can add to the list

LCC

I'm pretty sure there was a Willie Davis when we played them in 1994

Lions84

Quote from: Luxora7 on September 04, 2014, 12:00:01 pm
Luxora officially recognized as Wilkins Field...but known to most as GraveYard Stadium..........ghost programs as another website called programs that are no longer with us...Luxora ...Turrell...Parkin...Crawsfordsville.....you can add to the list

Yep FF used to have a Ghost program page but it got lost over the years of upgrades. 
Lots of abandon FB Fields in the Delta these days compared to what we had in the 1980's!

big E

Not gettin any better in the old delta either.

FD4

Two things, ghost field and program, Parkin and C.E.Bell stadium, named after a State Senator from Parkin.  Too bad its gone, and this season the 77 team will be recognized for their state championship as they are now in the Wynne school district.  And DA-Eagles, I was at that game in McCrory when that fight broke out.  I was told one of the Eagle players told Coach at McCrory he hated him, then coaches son got in on it and the benches cleared, then the stands.  Funny but serious stuff.  I think more of the fans were just trying to get their kid off the field.
What about bon fires and parades before playing rivals?

HorseFeathers

Dang lol....to bad there's no video of that brawl. . . .

LCC

I forgot about the Bon fires before games. That brings back memories. We only did it a couple times, but it was fun.

Lions84

Bon fires , Pretty gals , Partys after the game and mixing DEET with your AV or Polo to fight off the skeeters.  Great memories of those Delta Friday nights.

Lions84

BUMP  Time to get remembering again.

Lions84

Rest Rooms 
England and Brinkley had the best in the Day along with Carlisle.  Worse were Cotton Plant and Holly Grove.  at Holly Grove you went in to their old gym that was used for storage and they had those 4-6 foot pee troughs. 

big E

BigLion10

England's are pretty bad now hate to admit it lol

Lions84

Quote from: BigLion10 on August 31, 2015, 03:23:46 pm

They must not up graded since I was here in 82.

BigLion10

Nope just gotten worse over the years lol

big E

Kinda sounds like me I just get worse with age.

cuckoobird

I'm like a fine bourbon, i get better

bearbacker52

so where the heck is delta at from the80s

x14113

Quote from: Lions84 on August 31, 2015, 03:37:10 pm
Quote from: BigLion10 on August 31, 2015, 03:23:46 pm

They must not up graded since I was here in 82.
Well, there's your problem!  8)

I can only imagine the Cabin's reputation if it hadn't been updated for 33 years...  :-X

Lions84

Quote from: bearbacker52 on August 31, 2015, 11:36:24 pm

I use the Delta as a term for Eastern Ark from Jonesboro North to Lonoke to Pine Bluff in the South.

birddawg1986

Yeah I was going to Wynne for a youth football jamboree, and has we went thru Parkin its a bean field, but the lights poles are still there. Parkin Tigers used to be a tough draw in the 70s, 80s.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: bearbacker52 on August 31, 2015, 11:36:24 pm

There WAS a school called Delta Special down at Rowher.
They had football back in the day.
Claim to fame though was the Jones boys, NCAA and NBA basketball players.

cuckoobird

They could flat out play bball. Wasn't too shaby at football either

birddawg1986

Yes there was a school called Delta. Think it was around McGhee !!!! I knew they played basketball, and was a class A school back in the late 80s. They won the 1989 class A state basketball title beating defending champion Marked Tree. They were coached by Bill Taylor (BIC).

cuckoobird

Between arkansas city and pendleton bridge was the school district.

Lions84

Quote from: birddawg1986 on September 01, 2015, 09:57:41 am
Yeah I was going to Wynne for a youth football jamboree, and has we went thru Parkin its a bean field, but the lights poles are still there. Parkin Tigers used to be a tough draw in the 70s, 80s.

Sad to hear that.  They had some pretty gals too.

big E

Parkin,cotton plant,Holly grove,Gillette all have went the way of the dodo.

cuckoobird

It's gillett!! But yes my school is gone never to return

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 03, 2015, 07:23:49 am
It's gillett!! But yes my school is gone never to return

I loved playing baseball there.  Hit a ball to left and the asphalt playground was in play. 

Lions84

Quote from: big E on September 03, 2015, 05:09:47 am
Parkin,cotton plant,Holly grove,Gillette all have went the way of the dodo.

Holly Grove dropped football after the 1986 Season for some strange reason.

Lions84

I miss stopping by Shaddens in Marvell for a chopped Pork BBQ sandwich , a  RC and Moon pie going or coming back from games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas