• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-4A 2018

Started by Redlinebacker32, December 12, 2017, 09:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoops35

Would really like to know where you heard this? Just talked to someone in his family about 30 minutes ago and that is not the case.

Gray lizard

Quote from: hoops35 on May 15, 2018, 10:50:29 am
Would really like to know where you heard this? Just talked to someone in his family about 30 minutes ago and that is not the case.

It was not from his family.  I would guess you might say the other side of the story.  I did not hear the young man state what I said.  So it could be what others want the reason to be.  What I do know about the whole situation is I do not feel comfortable getting into the main reason. If you have a kid in the program you know the situation.  I wish the best to the young man and I wish the best to the program.  I hope all works out for both.

Gray lizard

Oh and I figure all will be know by July 1st.

hoops35

Just don't know why we're saying we know the reason he left if we don't. I honestly don't know if the coaching staff knows why he left from what I'm told. Done with that now. As a fan of the program I really hope they can get on track and have a great season!

Gray lizard

x14113

Here's the new AstroTurf surface at Ozark.

53 players completed spring practice on this fresh green skin.

(I wonder if Wendell Robinson still finds the center logo too big...)

Gray lizard

Nice looks great to me.

x14113

Calpreps has released a sneak peak of its 2018 ratings, and here's how the conference lines up as of this writing (class rank in parentheses):

Ozark (12)
Dardanelle (16)
Elkins (25)
Pottsville (28)
Mena (29)
Dover (32)
Waldron (43)
Subiaco (47)

Pretty high on the Elks (all things considered), while rather low for the Bulldogs.

Do note that the recent coaching changes are not reflected in this as of yet.

Gray lizard

The 4-4A looks to be a big unknown this year.  With Booneville and West Fork leaving and picking up Mena and Elkins kind of hard to figure out.  I just do not care for this grouping of teams.  Coaching changes at Waldron and Elkins through a curve in things as well. Just looks to me like there will be 4-5 below par teams and 3-4 average teams at best.  I also think the district could need a bye to get a team to the second round of the playoffs.

The last 10 year history for this group does not look very good other than a couple teams.  Also considering the week non-conference schedule of some of the teams to get a few wins does not give a lot of hope.

Could someone give me something to feel a little better about the 4-4A.

Lacerta agilis

Quote from: x14113 on December 13, 2017, 01:00:41 am
Since folks are already bringing it up, I might as pipe in with what I expect.

Title Contenders: Dardanelle, Ozark--Expect these two to be in the title coversation for at least the next two years. The Lizards graduate their QB, top tackler, and kicker, but next year's juniors can't wait to leave their mark on the program. The Hillbillies graduate 13 seniors, including some key players on defense, but the offense returns experience at nearly every skill position.

On the Fence: Elkins, Mena, Pottsville--These three are put in here for three different reasons. The Elks will bring some experience and some recent success, but they'll need to adjust to more physical nature of their new conference. The Bearcats feel they have everything to prove after being stuffed into the 4A-7 cellar last season. And then there are the Apaches, who will need to find a new QB that can compliment their 3-year starting runners. While normal course would suggest a peak, I dare say Pottsville is at least a year away from serious contention.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Waldron--these two are in danger of getting pushed out of the conference playoff conversation entirely. The Bulldogs lose a pound of experience, but next year's underclasses have won 13 games in JH play the past two years. The Pirates, meanwhile, could look to trend back up with the returning starters they should have.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco--At least they don't have to worry about being mentioned in state's-worst debates anymore, but at the moment, I see little if anything to suggest the Trojans have a chance to return to contention. Experienced skill players can be seen as a bright spot, but if Steven Moore is serious about getting Subi back into prominence, he's looking at a multi-year fix, one that might involve some outside-the-box thinking to accomplish.
Ozark (12)
Dardanelle (16)
Elkins (25)
Pottsville (28)
Mena (29)
Dover (32)
Waldron (43)
Subiaco (47)

Hey x, you writing for Calpreps now?

x14113

friscokid

Subiaco's biggest hinderance, of course, is no feeder middle school. Their coaches get incoming freshmen cold every year and have to evaluate on the fly, while other schools know what they're getting coming up since peewee. That's a tough situation for Subi in football no matter the talent.

Redlinebacker32

Very true and something that other teams take for granted for sure!

x14113

Man, Pottsville just can't catch a break in the offseason.

http://couriernews.com/Content/Default/Sports/Article/Apaches-center-injured-in-pool-accident/-3/84/47186

Let's all wish him a strong recovery.

x14113

Here's the ranking from the coaches' poll (HAF rank in parentheses):

Ozark [8]
Pottsville [15]
Dardanelle [25]
Mena [20]
Waldron [44]
Elkins [34]
Dover [36]
Subiaco [47]

A lot of respect for the Bulldogs being given, considering all the turnover.

And the Lizards must be feeling the same way as Ozark did last year. Their conference opener just became that much bigger.

Redlinebacker32

Hopefully Waldron can have a semi successful team and build upon a strong off season. The group of sophomores are really athletic, just need a little more weight room. Good luck to the rest of the 4-4A this fall!

x14113

Word on Twitter is that Elkins has gained a major move-in at TE.

Johnson Bowman had a productive season for Fayetteville last year, and he should compliment McClain and Graham rather nicely.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on July 28, 2018, 10:25:09 pm
Word on Twitter is that Elkins has gained a major move-in at TE.

Johnson Bowman had a productive season for Fayetteville last year, and he should compliment McClain and Graham rather nicely.
Twitter announcement huh? lol sounds like the SEC!

x14113

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on July 29, 2018, 08:39:23 am
Twitter announcement huh? lol sounds like the SEC!

The revelation is courtesy of Bowman's dad, who responded to correct a local sports story that listed him as a Purple Dog.

(So did HAF, which might mean this move was quite recent.)

I'd have personally kept this as close to the chest as possible, if only to catch the early teams unawares.  8)

Jabali

Quote from: x14113 on May 28, 2018, 12:01:36 am

Here's the new AstroTurf surface at Ozark.

53 players completed spring practice on this fresh green skin.

(I wonder if Wendell Robinson still finds the center logo too big...)
Beautiful field and the logo is perfect. In a day where preschoolers can be sent home for eating their cookie into the shape of a gun the Ozark Americans have a 5'x60' gun in the middle of their football field. Hats off to the Billies.

nastynice

Quote from: Jabali on July 29, 2018, 03:20:31 pm
Beautiful field and the logo is perfect. In a day where preschoolers can be sent home for eating their cookie into the shape of a gun the Ozark Americans have a 5'x60' gun in the middle of their football field. Hats off to the Billies.

Haha!  Sad but true!

friscokid

All you need is IN GOD WE TRUST in big block letters between the 30s and you will qwn every libtard east of I-49.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on July 29, 2018, 01:08:21 pm
I'd have personally kept this as close to the chest as possible, if only to catch the early teams unawares.  8)

Agreed, and coaches would have as well. Hard to be humble.......

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Jabali on July 29, 2018, 03:20:31 pm
I told someone something similar the other day. A kid gets sent home for wearing a shirt with a picture of a water gun in most schools these days. Got to love OHS!

Gray lizard

Anyone know why Elkins Jr high team is not on Pottsville schedule. They are both in the 4-4A.

friscokid

Quote from: Gray lizard on August 03, 2018, 08:08:02 am
Anyone know why Elkins Jr high team is not on Pottsville schedule. They are both in the 4-4A.
Back in my day junior high season ended Week 9 so the freshmen joined the varsity for Week 10 and the playoffs. Could that be the reason?

Gray lizard

They should have played week 8 so I do not think that would be the reason.

x14113

Elkins JH is playing the 4A-1 schools this cycle. Quite prescient, since the Elks are all but a lock to join them in varsity play in two years.

(I should go ahead and start the yearly score thread on the JH board, now that we're talking about it...)

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on August 03, 2018, 07:19:48 pm
Elkins JH is playing the 4A-1 schools this cycle. Quite prescient, since the Elks are all but a lock to join them in varsity play in two years.

(I should go ahead and start the yearly score thread on the JH board, now that we're talking about it...)
Always enjoy your analysis. You don't happen to pick horses at Oaklawn as well do you? ;)

x14113

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on August 04, 2018, 01:55:34 am
Always enjoy your analysis. You don't happen to pick horses at Oaklawn as well do you? ;)

Afraid not--I leave that to my wine-making cousins.  ;D

x14113

August 09, 2018, 09:34:33 pm #80 Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:17:11 pm by x14113
The list of benefit games for this conference is a little hard to get, but here's what I've found.

Thursday 8/16
Subiaco/JC Westside v Paris @ Clarksville, 6:00 (pushed back from 8/14)
Dardanelle v Booneville @ Russellville, 7:00

Friday 8/17
Magnolia @ Mena, 6:30

Monday, 8/20
Fountain Lake/Lavaca @ Waldron, 5:30

Tuesday 8/21
Farmington @ Ozark, 6:00
Dover/Lonoke @ Lamar, 6:00
Elkins/Prairie Grove @ Van Buren, 6:00
Clinton @ Pottsville, 7:00

Gray lizard

X thanks for the information.  What is the situation of some of the teams playing at other school locations?

HSfan

Quote from: Gray lizard on August 10, 2018, 07:48:47 am
X thanks for the information.  What is the situation of some of the teams playing at other school locations?

Probably a Tri-scrimmage.

Paris / Subiaco / JC Westside @ Paris

friscokid

Seems like Lamar and Dover scrimmage every year. Lonoke is an odd partner in that threesome, though.

x14113

The rains have driven two scrimmages to nearby turf; Subi to Clarksville, Dardy to Russellville.

With half the conference already on turf, I wonder how much of the other half will be compelled to switch.

smurf_you91

Hopefully farmington and Ozark #FINGERSCROSSED

x14113

Your wish has been granted.

Ozark will now be hosting its scrimmage with Farmington. Kickoff at 6.

smurf_you91

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on August 16, 2018, 01:22:23 pm
Your wish has been granted.

Ozark will now be hosting its scrimmage with Farmington. Kickoff at 6.

Could you get old Smurf to work on my boys jr high schedule ( just the away game please).

smurf_you91

Nope can't do it I'm all high school I hate Jr high even when I played! It just feels like pre school ball.

Gray lizard

Went to the Dardanelle / Booneville game last night. I left before it was over but the first teams were off the field.  Dardanelle looked very good moving the ball down the field.  They had a good mix of run pass.  Booneville is a good team as well.  Dardanelle defense stopped Booneville on their first drive.  Booneville intercepted deep on their side of the field on Dardanelle 2nd drive.  Booneville scored on their 2nd drive.  I think this the point both teams started testing other players. 
Score board showed Booneville up by 9 when I left.
My thoughts are Bonneville will be a great 3-A team this year.  Dardanelle will do well in the 4-4A, but will have a tough time on the state level.

Gray lizard

Pottsville has got some work to do to.

smurf_you91

Ozark had a huge loss due to injury tonight in Eddie Graham but with the way Tyler Sanders performed I believe we will be OK! But we have a lot of work to do as well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas