• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what's a great baseball movie?

Started by dannyj, April 13, 2006, 09:24:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyj

i like the rookie that's a great movie what baseball movies do you all  like

Chief_Osceola™

Pride of the Yankees is the best baseball movie ever.  Period.

buffalofan5

A league of their own is not the best but definately one of the funniest. That's one of thsoe mvoies that HBO gets ona  kick with and plays over and over and over again so I can tell you every line of the movie a second before it is said. That's probably the most I have ever watched a movie.

Texarkana_Piggie

sandlot
field of dreams
bad news bears (original)
bull durham
league of their own (there's no crying in baseball!!!)
the natural
for love of the game
major league
to name a few

dannyj

all those movies are good i like them all

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 13, 2006, 09:21:00 pm
sandlot
field of dreams
bull durham
the natural
for love of the game
major league
to name a few

Those are some very good movies and I like them all, but another you could add on that list would be "Eight Men Out". That's the movie about the Black Sox scandal of them throwing the World Series against the Reds and it has some very good actors in it and is one of my favorites.

It also is shown on ESPN Classic from time to time but that is the only channel I've seen it on recently.

dannyj

yea on ESPN Classic has played some real good movies

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on April 14, 2006, 02:46:15 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 13, 2006, 09:21:00 pm
sandlot
field of dreams
bull durham
the natural
for love of the game
major league
to name a few

Those are some very good movies and I like them all, but another you could add on that list would be "Eight Men Out". That's the movie about the Black Sox scandal of them throwing the World Series against the Reds and it has some very good actors in it and is one of my favorites.

It also is shown on ESPN Classic from time to time but that is the only channel I've seen it on recently.

never saw that one, but i'd like to.  i love baseball and football movies.

hsu_05

J.H.BearcatHasBeen

The Rookie
Sandlot
Bull Durham
8 Men Out
Major League 1, 2, 3
A Leagueof Their Own
Field of Dreams
Mr. 3000
Angels in the Outfield
Bad News Bears
Rookie of the Year
Hardball
Baseketball (not really a baseball movie)
For Love of the Game

kijex13

Quote from: INITIATIVE on April 15, 2006, 03:12:43 pm
Major League , 2, 3

Those two are definitely not great movies.  The first one was, but the sequels were terrible.  Caddyshack 2 is the only sequel that is more of a drop off from the original than the Major League sequels.

Texarkana_Piggie

i forgot about angels in the outfield.   i liked that one too.

Cards19

-Rookie of the Year
-Sandlot
-Field of Dreams
-Angels in the Outfield
-Bad news bears (first onel)

Very good list to me

chrismurphy19

The Sandlot
Major League 1 and 2 (Personally, I liked number two a lot. Number three blew)
The Natural
Field of Dreams
Rookie of the Year
Eight Men Out
A League of Their Own

dannyj

i them all i hear there are comin out with a new one

PurpleBear#1

I love the Natrual that is my favorite

heathwaldrop

I just saw "For the Love of the Game" for the first time last week. I really enjoyed it (although, as with many other Kevin Costner movies, it was way too long). But I never even heard about it when it was released. For whatever reason it got no acclaim.

"The Natural" was great and so was "Field of Dreams," although calling the second a baseball movie probably isn't quite accurate.

The first "The Bad-News Bears" was good.

Even though I don't like baseball, baseball movies tend to be more believable than football ones and even basketball ones. The action always is far more realistic. Football movies would have you believe that somebody gets a neck snapped every single game.

Chief_Osceola™

Heath, you should check out Pride of the Yankees if you haven't seen it.  Gary Cooper played Gehrig, and the Babe was in it as well.  It was a great movie, that told a very good story about an amazing man.

dannyj

what is Pride of the Yankees about

Chief_Osceola™

Quotewhat is Pride of the Yankees about

Lou Gehrig.

Mike Bonds

It begins and ends with The Natural.  The greatest, period.  So many famous people in it, too.

Robert Redford
Glenn Close
Kim Basinger
Wilford Brimley
Barbara Hershey
Richard Farnsworth (been in a lot of westerns)
Joe Don Baker
Michael Madsen
Robert Duvall
Darin McGavin

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: Mike Bonds on April 26, 2006, 08:50:33 am
It begins and ends with The Natural. The greatest, period. So many famous people in it, too.

Robert Redford
Glenn Close
Kim Basinger
Wilford Brimley
Barbara Hershey
Joe Don Baker
Michael Madsen
Robert Duvall
Darin McGavin

Although I agree with you a lot Mike, the list begins and ends with Bull Durham.  It is not only the greatest baseball movie, it is one of the three greatest sports movies ever.  There are so many catch phrases and quotable scenes that will last forever. 

This is off topic but I am a religious baseball tonight watcher and did anyone else watch it in 2004 when they were doing all of those baseball tonight promos imitating Bull Durham, The Natural and League of their own?  Priceless, especially the one in Bull Durham where they are on the losing streak and he goes into the showers and throws the bats in there and starts ranting about "baseball is an easy game, you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball" and you see Peter Gammons and Dave Campbell in the shower with towels around their waists!  I have never laughed so hard.

Chief_Osceola™

I liked the 'lollygaggers' speech.

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: The Juggernaut on April 26, 2006, 10:04:08 am

Yeah, that is the one that I am referring to.

CatsRule

Quote from: Mike Bonds on April 26, 2006, 08:50:33 am
It begins and ends with The Natural. The greatest, period. So many famous people in it, too.

Robert Redford
Glenn Close
Kim Basinger
Wilford Brimley
Barbara Hershey
Joe Don Baker
Michael Madsen
Robert Duvall
Darin McGavin

The guy off the diabetes commercial.  "Hi, I'm Wilford Brimley." 

Quote from: Frank "Hall of Famer" Thomas™ on April 26, 2006, 10:04:51 am
Quote from: The Juggernaut on April 26, 2006, 10:04:08 am

Yeah, that is the one that I am referring to.

Regardless of whether it is baseball tonight or whatever, ESPN consistently makes great commercials.  I can't ever recall one that I didn't find amusing. 

Chief_Osceola™

The sportscenter commercials are especially entertaining.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: CatsRule on April 26, 2006, 02:20:04 pm
The guy off the diabetes commercial.  "Hi, I'm Wilford Brimley."

Also did oatmeal commercials back in the early '90s. I trust the guy so much I almost went out and bought some oatmeal, even though I don't like oatmeal.

And for those of us in Gen Y, we recognize him from the "Cocoon" movies (I believe that Richard Farsworth also might have been in one of them). Never will forget his line to the kid who played his grandson: "We won't ever get older, and we won't ever die."

Have to have seen the movie to understand what he's talking about, but he's just so darned believable as a "granddad" type.

sportchicmhs20

The Best Movie has got to be Field of Dreams!!! c'mon, " If you build it... they will come." It's classic!!

dannyj

VTL

Long Gone.... a great one few people know about.

n0toriousnrg

hardball.  shows what kind of an impact a great sport can have on kids.

VBdawgs

Yall are forgetting "The Fan"-- I love that baseball movie!

retiredlion05

Quote from: hogfan4life06 on May 02, 2006, 09:35:35 am
The Best Movie has got to be Field of Dreams!!! c'mon, " If you build it... they will come." It's classic!!

I agree with you.  Field of Dreams is my all time favorite Baseball movie and one of my favorite movies in general.

bleudog

Just saw Chasing 3000.  Most of it is set in 1972 and involves a couple of teenaged brothers who make a cross country trip to get back to Pittsburgh to be there to see Roberto Clemente get his 3000th hit.  Good movie.

SportsFan23

"Perfect Game" is good it is about the first Mexican Little league team to play at Williamsport.

"The Final Season" about the last season of a powerhouse High School baseball team.

"Mickey" is based on a John Grisham book.

The first two are based on true stories and the last one is an interesting story all of them are not the best production value but for someone who likes baseball movies they are good.

hitemgogetem

Although not a 'movie' ........any baseball fan needs to have Ken Burn's 'Baseball' somewhere in their collection.  9 innings or 'episodes' at two hours each......

Chock full of anything and everything you wanna know

'The game of ball is glorious'   - Walt Whitman

Breitontime

The best, will always be Bull Durham.

I have at least ten friends I played ball with that have phrases tatted on them.

SportsFan23

What about "The Scout". It 's pretty funny.

bleudog

March 19, 2012, 07:49:29 pm #38 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:55:14 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Tigermania on June 12, 2006, 10:20:41 am
Long Gone.... a great one few people know about.

Long Gone is a good one.  William Peterson in the lead.  Came out just before Bull Durham.  Think it was made for HBO.

Here's a list I came accross.  Not sure about the order and it's missing some movies but did have a few I wasn't aware of on it.

http://www.imdb.com/list/9h6gsNc6M2k/

DogsWin7

Had forgotten all about the Stratton Story until you posted this list!  Thanks, now I have to go rent movies...............oh, well what bout the Cards losing Pujols?

Breitontime

I will never trust a list that has Bull Durham next to a Jimmy Fallon/Drew Berrymore movie. Not to mention how low they have it. Smh.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Breitontime on March 19, 2012, 09:13:49 pm
I will never trust a list that has Bull Durham next to a Jimmy Fallon/Drew Berrymore movie. Not to mention how low they have it. Smh.

Bull Durham is a stupid movie. imo

Breitontime

You sir, are not a real fan of baseball.

The hilarity of it, is how accurately portrays life in the minors.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Breitontime on March 19, 2012, 09:24:26 pm
You sir, are not a real fan of baseball.

The hilarity of it, is how accurately portrays life in the minors.

Yes, I AM A FAN OF BASEBALL!  I just like more serious baseball movies. Difference of opinion.

That's all.

bleudog

Standing here in the Sheridan WM looking at a DVD called WAR EAGLE ARKANSAS.  Anybody heard of it and knows if it's any good?

DogsWin7

March 29, 2012, 05:30:32 pm #45 Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:58:54 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: bleudog on March 29, 2012, 05:25:40 pm
Standing here in the Sheridan WM looking at a DVD called WAR EAGLE ARKANSAS.  Anybody heard of it and knows if it's any good?

Never heard of it but take a swing.  It maybe a Homerun!!!  ;)

Winner of over 20 major film festival awards and based on a true story i read.........A athlete named Enoch Cass who stutters and his best friend Wheels who is in a wheelchair do to cerebral palsy.  Shows how the two are best friends.  Stars: Brian Dennehy, Mary kay Place, Luke Grimes and James McDaniel.  Be the 1st batter and tell us about the game!

DogsWin7

bleudog, How long do you plan on standing in WM?   You realize I have jinxed your post because no-one post's usually after me or will answer mine but a few FF friends............ :D

Texarkana_Piggie

yes i watched war eagle.  it is a low budget film but i thought it was very good.

bleudog

March 29, 2012, 07:59:32 pm #48 Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:35:23 am by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 29, 2012, 06:22:46 pm
bleudog, How long do you plan on standing in WM?   You realize I have jinxed your post because no-one post's usually after me or will answer mine but a few FF friends............ :D

I'm back in south Union County now.  Figured if the DVD was in one WM it would probably be in a few hundred more.  Thanks to you and TXpig for the info on the movie.  Looks like it might be right up my alley.

DogsWin7

Well was it a Strike or a Homerun bleudog?

Or are you saving it till a rainy day............got fishing to get ready for don't you? :D

Have Fun tomorrow!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas