• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stay Alive

Started by -Painted Fan-, March 20, 2006, 10:06:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Me thinks that 2006 is "the Year of the Horror Movie", with Stay Alive making what seems like #347.  It starts this coming Friday, and looks horrifying.  The thing I can't believe about it is it's only PG-13!  Frankie Muniz will probably make a bundle from this, as it breaks away from his normal teenie bopper roles.

Chief_Osceola™

Dang it, you telling me it has Frankie Muniz in it may ruin it for me.  Being the huge fan of online video games that I am, I was all set to go see this, until you tell me that little snot-nosed punk is in it.  Now I can't decide if I'll go watch it or not.  Eh, I'll still probably watch it since it will incorporate my favorite aspects of video games - survival horror theme, a la Resident Evil, Doom, Silent Hill, etc.; and the online gaming community

Mike Bonds

I figure this will be yet another DTM:

Dead Teenager Movie

Chief_Osceola™

As long as Muniz is one of the ones who ends up dead (in the movie of course), I'm all for it.

Chief_Osceola™

OK, so I saw this Saturday night.  IMO, it was really awesome.  Of course this is coming from someone who loves online gaming and survival horror games.  With it being PG-13, there is not really much gore, but there are plenty of scenes to make a person jump in the seat, plus plenty of suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat.  Granted, there are some cheesy lines, a few plot holes, and some pop culture references that some people won't get, and this movie isn't for everyone, especially stuffy critics who have never played a video game, and have no idea what that culture is like.  However, if you are at least somewhat of a video game fan, or enjoyed the Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, you will definitely enjoy Stay Alive.  In a nutshell, it's more or less a cross between The Ring and Brainscan, but a lot cooler.  I thought it was pretty creepy all in all.  BTW, Frankie Muniz surprised me.  Of course, he played a geek, but he was actually a likeable geek.

Chief_Osceola™

March 27, 2006, 10:00:46 am #5 Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 05:14:40 pm by nolefan_11
One thing I forgot to add....the 'bad guy' in this movie was loosely based on an actual person, Lady Erzsebet (Elizabeth) Bathory.  If you want to read more about her, look her up on wikipedia or something.....she was pretty much pure evil, much like in the movie.

Juice-Man

My grandfather used to live 3 miles from her plantation.  The movie was alright, not good not bad.  Just like all movies these days, it starts off good but when the plot begins to develop (killings based on someone playing a game), it gets stupid.

Chief_Osceola™

Your grandfather is from Slovakia?  Because the Blood Countess is Erzsebet Bathory, who was a member of East European nobility in the late 1500's through the early 1600's.  As I said, the story was loosely based off of her....not a literal comparison.  BTW, in real life she was locked away in a tower of her own castle, so that much of the legend is true.

dannyj

does anybody think that movie is scarry

Chief_Osceola™

I wouldn't say scary, various parts throughout the movie were unsettling, and there were plenty of scenes to make a person jump.

Juice-Man

Quote from: nolefan_11 on March 28, 2006, 10:14:22 pm
Your grandfather is from Slovakia?  Because the Blood Countess is Erzsebet Bathory, who was a member of East European nobility in the late 1500's through the early 1600's.  As I said, the story was loosely based off of her....not a literal comparison.  BTW, in real life she was locked away in a tower of her own castle, so that much of the legend is true.
Naw, New Orleans.  I told him about the movie and he told me he lived close to that plantation, but he is 92 years old and getting senile so he might have thought I was talking about someone else.

Chief_Osceola™

^ The writers probably took some creative liberties, and used the historical accounts of Lady Bathory and used said accounts to create their own version of the legend.  It would have been hard for the gamers to find the plantation if in fact they searched the original location (in Hungary and/or Slovakia - she owned multiple castles).  An old plantation in New Orleans would make a more feasible destination for them to find the Blood Countess.  Which shouldn't be surprising, considering some of the other plot holes.

dannyj

in the movie so when you play the game and if you die you die in real life it sounds like a real good movie

Chief_Osceola™

It is if you like video games.

dannyj

dannyj

when does it come out on dvd

Perry_Mc

sayin it just came out in theatres....It's probably gonna be a while.

dannyj

some movies it dont take that long to put it on dvd

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas