• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Sci-fi Flick?

Started by Mike Bonds, March 03, 2006, 03:28:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bonds

Yes, I know.  I'm a dork.   ;D

I think I could toss in a vote for Blade Runner.

junkyard dog

Quote from: Mike Bonds on March 03, 2006, 03:28:20 pm

No.  The directors cut of Blade Runner.  Which, by the way is now in the $5 bin at Wally World.  But I still like the original Planet of The Apes.

Mike Bonds

March 03, 2006, 04:25:57 pm #2 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:27:43 pm by Mike Bonds
Quote from: junkyard dog on March 03, 2006, 04:24:37 pm
Yes, I know. I'm a dork. ;D

No.  The directors cut of Blade Runner.  Which, by the way is now in the $5 bin at Wally World.  But I still like the original Planet of The Apes.

It's often be said that I look like Dr. Zaius.    ;D

I liked Linda Harrison from the original Planet of the Apes.   ;)

heathwaldrop

Love the original "Planet of the Apes." Actually I like all five of the "Apes" flicks, although "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" is pretty weak.

Also love Linda Harrison...my gosh, even 38 years later she still looks great on film. Not every beautiful woman of yesterday looks as good today. For instance those Botticelli gals.

Juice-Man

I still like "They Came".  Just something about seeing Rowdy Roddy Piper with sunglasses on makes me feel cool.  It also has the best line of any movie in it..... "I came here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum, but I'm all out of bubblegum".  Another one of my favorites is "Night of the Comet".

Honorable mention for me would be Doom.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Chamillionaire on March 04, 2006, 12:07:07 pm
I still like "They Came".  Just something about seeing Rowdy Roddy Piper with sunglasses on makes me feel cool.  It also has the best line of any movie in it..... "I came here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum, but I'm all out of bubblegum".  Another one of my favorites is "Night of the Comet".

Honorable mention for me would be Doom.

I haven't thought about those two in a long time.  lol

Night of the Comet was a big hair extravaganza, that's for sure.  Sort of the kind of movie that goes well with a 6 pack.   ;D

HA_Fan

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Star Trek II:  The Wrath of Khan
Alien
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Super Scrapper

Independence Day.   I thought this was a great Sci-fi flick.    :)  SS

Go Scrappers

FunkMastaFlexx

Quote from: Super Scrapper on March 06, 2006, 07:03:19 pm
Independence Day.   I thought this was a great Sci-fi flick.    :)  SS

Go Scrappers

This would also be my pick. It was funny and good. Cool effects too.

Chief_Osceola™

Either of the first two Alien movies for sure.  Also, I don't know if the Resident Evils are sci-fi or not (the game genre is survival horror, but the first has been on the sci-fi channel), but I liked them as well.  They're not the best of all-time, but I could definitely watch them more than once or twice.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Super Scrapper on March 06, 2006, 07:03:19 pm
Independence Day.   I thought this was a great Sci-fi flick.

Then you've got horrible taste. That was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever wasted $5 to see.

chilly gilly

WAR OF THE WORLDS---------- the updated one!

chilly gilly

Sci-Fi Flick----------BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN! ;D

Mike Bonds

I saw Dark City for the first time in a long time last night.  A good sci-fi freakshow.  lol

crote

Clearly the correct answer.

RATTLER43

Quote from: heathwaldrop on March 03, 2006, 09:34:23 pm
Love the original "Planet of the Apes." Actually I like all five of the "Apes" flicks, although "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" is pretty weak.

Also love Linda Harrison...my gosh, even 38 years later she still looks great on film. Not every beautiful woman of yesterday looks as good today. For instance those Botticelli gals.

... every time I watch it I am still amazed by her. She will look good in any era. I also enjoy the movie every time.

Boingy

Dune, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Alien.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Boingy on March 17, 2006, 09:09:28 pm
Dune, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Alien.

Dune was such a great book.  I just wish it could have been a better flick.  It's still decent, though occasionally corny.  I blame David Lynch.  Did you know he turned down Return of the Jedi for Dune?  Fortunately for George Lucas.  It was cast well, but I would have liked to see someone more serious make it, like David Cronenberg.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Mike Bonds on March 19, 2006, 08:23:50 am
Did you know he turned down Return of the Jedi for Dune?

I'm a huge SW fan but I've never heard this before.

I don't think that marriage ever would have worked out. Lucas probably would have fired him midway through production and that would have been a total disaster.

I've never read "Dune" but I have seen Lynch's movie. I've read several comments that the movie is totally and completely different from the book. That Lynch is one weird son of a gun. Ever seen "Twin Peaks"?

Mike Bonds

Quote from: heathwaldrop on March 19, 2006, 09:06:26 am
Quote from: Mike Bonds on March 19, 2006, 08:23:50 am
Did you know he turned down Return of the Jedi for Dune?

I'm a huge SW fan but I've never heard this before.

I don't think that marriage ever would have worked out. Lucas probably would have fired him midway through production and that would have been a total disaster.

I've never read "Dune" but I have seen Lynch's movie. I've read several comments that the movie is totally and completely different from the book. That Lynch is one weird son of a gun. Ever seen "Twin Peaks"?

Yeah.

I just can't imagine turning Jedi over to the guy who did Eraserhead.

Dune was different from the book, but not too bad.  It had a little too much "Flash Gordon" feel to it--lots of gold.  Plus, as usual, Lynch focuses on making a movie that moody, rather than solid.

monster_island

Yes, I know. I'm a dork. ;D

When I first saw blade Runner in the theatre, it didn't really click for me. After a few years, I saw it on one of the movie and was surprised that it was much better than I had remembered.

By the time it came out on DVD it was a must buy for me. One of my favorites.

Guetz

March 28, 2006, 11:07:37 am #21 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:17:01 am by Guetz
Blade Runner (I forgot about that one, definitely one of my favorites)
2001: A Space Odyssy (Classic, well made, effects still look good today)
Dune (David Lynch's version, produced by Dino and Raffaella De Laurentiis)
Alien (the first two movies)

Dune (David Lynch's, not the John Harrison SciFi Channel adaptation which starred William Hurt and totally sucked) was about as close to the book as you could get, particularly where the Baron Harkonnen, the worms and the Fremen are concerned.  The original rough cut of the movie was over 5 hours long, there were 80 sets on 16 different sound stages, it took 6 years to make (3.5 years included David Lynch) and the total number of production crew on the Dune movie came to a grand total of 1700.  Kyle MacLachlan (Paul (Muad'dib) Atreides) claimed Dune to be his bible and has read it every year since the age of 14.  They did a good job with the movie especially when considering how long and detailed Frank Herbert's book was.

The one criticism that I have of David Lynch's Dune:  folks that had not read the book had a hard time understanding the movie despite the background given at the beginning of the movie.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Guetz on March 28, 2006, 11:07:37 am
Dune (David Lynch's, not the John Harrison SciFi Channel adaptation which starred William Hurt and totally sucked) was about as close to the book as you could get

There seems to be a pretty radical difference of opinion on this, because I've read where other fans of the "Dune" book have said exactly the opposite.

Not as much consensus as there is among, say, Tolkien fans and the LOTR movies (most feel that they're OK movies but not great representations of the books).

monster_island

So far the movies mentioned have been those with conflicts between men or men and aliens. How about some examples of problems the technology that man creates. Ones that come to mind: Colossus: The Forbin Project and more recently Gattica.

Chief_Osceola™

^ Or the Matrix trilogy maybe? 

heathwaldrop

Quote from: monster_island on March 28, 2006, 09:01:50 pm
So far the movies mentioned have been those with conflicts between men or men and aliens. How about some examples of problems the technology that man creates.

"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is the first one that pops into my head. Not your standard science fiction, but it fits what you're talking about.

Guetz

Quote from: heathwaldrop on March 29, 2006, 03:27:41 am
Quote from: monster_island on March 28, 2006, 09:01:50 pm
So far the movies mentioned have been those with conflicts between men or men and aliens. How about some examples of problems the technology that man creates.

"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is the first one that pops into my head. Not your standard science fiction, but it fits what you're talking about.

Here's a couple.*

"2001: A Space Odyssy" (malfunctioning computer)

"The Matrix" Trilogy (computers gone wild)

"Jurassic Park" (biogenetics gone wild)

"Lawnmower Man" (computer-human interface on steroids)

"Terminator" (AI runs amok, "I'll be baack")

'S1m0ne" (Sims:  The Future of Acting?)

"The Cell" (Better psychotherapy through interfacing)

"Bladerunner" (Revenge of the clones)

"Brazil" (electronic bureacracy mayhem)

"Minority Report" ("Just because we can doesn't mean we should")

"Fail-Safe"  (Nuclear war by computer glitch)

"Serenity" (Sexy meets lethal mental conditioning)

"Twelve Monkeys" (Viral bioengineering to the tune of "Let's do the time warp again!")

"The Manchurian Candidate" (the 2000 remake)("I must obey my implant!")

"Virtuosity"  (Virtual reality jumping nano-machine android)

"Short Circuit" ("Stephanie, nice software!)

"The Zeta Project" (Synthoid robot on the run)

"War Games" ("Would you like to play thermonuclear war?")

"Modern Problems"  (The problem is transporting that darn nuclear waste!)

*No one said that they had to be "good" movies, LOL!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote'S1m0ne" (Sims:  The Future of Acting?)

In some instances, we can only hope.

Guetz

Quote from: nolefan_11 on March 30, 2006, 11:07:38 am
Quote'S1m0ne" (Sims:  The Future of Acting?)

In some instances, we can only hope.

Hope maybe with some trepidation.  Just think what bodily damages can be shown with a totally life-like sim that would currently be limited by the state of the art in special effects applied to flesh and blood actors.  I can visualize some dynamic scenes that just couldn't be done right now without cutting away the camera even when using green screen technology.  Imagine the final scene of "Braveheart" without the cutaway and metaphorical representation.  <gulp>

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas