• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O Brother

Started by donkeyfan, December 28, 2005, 04:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

donkeyfan

O Brother Where Art Thou has got to be one of the funniest movies I own.  Almost as many one-liners as Gump.

What's your favorite?  (line)

Uncle Ivan

Do...Nawt....Seek....The treasure.

We thought you was a toooooad.

Mustang1434

"Oh George don't shoot the livestock"

"Cows, I hate cows"

"Remember Jesus saves but George Nelson withdraws"

"There's a man in there that pays good money for you to sing into his can"

Chief_Osceola™

Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Chief_Osceola™

A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Mustang1434

(Delmar) "Wash, this stew is awful good."  (Wash) "Think so, I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday, I'm afraid she's starting to turn."

dalejrfan

The whole movie is great. Every part of it makes me laugh.

Texarkana_Piggie

i loved this movie and thought it was hilarious.  some people i recommended it to did not share that view.  they need to grow a sense of humor.

packerfan

hsu_05

I beg to differ.  I have a pretty good sense of humor and laugh at just about anything that is considered comedy.  One of my friends said this was a funny movie and that he laughed till he hurt at it.  While, I must admit, there were some funny moments sporadically placed throughout the movie, the movie as a whole was a wash.  It's like when you hear people (the entertainment industry mostly) say that 2001: A Space Odyssey was some kind of "great" movie I want to gag.  I never - NEVER - fall asleep during movies (even movies I HATE) and barely made it through the first ten minutes of it.  I've actually thought about buying it for the nights when my insomnia kicks in.  It's a sure-fire way to get me to sleep - kind of like watching golf or C-SPAN.

CatsRule

It's 3:40 and it looks like you got an early start on the hatorade.

O Brother Where Art Thou is a funny movie.  Nobody is claiming it's a masterpiece, but it is worth watching if you need a good laugh.

SandLizard04

I absolutely love this movie. I completely agree with G-Train's comment, you have to be fairly intelligent to fully appreciate this movie. I guess that's one of the reasons I like it so much, the expansive vocabulary. Some of my favorite OBWAT quotes:

"dang! We're in a tight spot!"

"I'll tell you what I am - I'm the dang Pater Familias! You can't marry him" ..."And you can't swear at my fiancee!" ...."Oh yeah? Well you can't marry, my wife!"

"Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then heck, let's put it to a vote."

"You miserable little snake! You stole from my kin!"   ..."Who was fixin' to betray us!"  ..."You didn't know that at the time." ...."So, I borrowed it until I did know."  ...."That don't make no sense!" ...."Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

"Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment. But I would like to address your general attitude of hopeless negativism. Consider the lilies of the darn field or... heck! Take at look at Delmar here as your paradigm of hope."

"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"

"And remember, folks: Jesus saves, but George Nelson withdraws!"

"Wouldn't we look like a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies, bragging on our own midget, doesn't matter how stumpy?"

Texarkana_Piggie

wasn't this movie loosely based on one of shakespeare's plays?

Chief_Osceola™

It was loosely based on The Odyssey by Homer.

hsu_05

Quote from: CatsRule on December 29, 2005, 03:42:33 am

O Brother Where Art Thou is a funny movie. Nobody is claiming it's a masterpiece, but it is worth watching if you need a good laugh.

It's called insomnia - and it stinks.  I realize it's no masterpiece and never even thought anyone was calling it that.  I was simply offering a different opinion.  Meanwhile, I suppose anyone that doesn't like this movie/think it's funny is stupid?  Is that what I'm getting from some of you?

Texarkana_Piggie

i guess it's like dumb and dumber.  i dont' think i laughed through that entire movie but many people on here think it's the funniest movie ever. 
i thought o brother where art thou was funny.  some people don't.  differnt taste in humor and movies i guess.

Bob Lablaw

I love Dumb and Dumber (Dumb and Dumberer however is a different story) and I also love Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, good movies.

donkeyfan

Quote from: nolefan_11 on December 29, 2005, 12:41:22 pm
It was loosely based on The Odyssey by Homer.

Yes Sir, and Clooney's character's first name name is Ulysses, just like in the classic. 

Delmar:  "The two of us was fixin' to fornicate."

CatsRule

Quote from: hsu_05 on December 29, 2005, 01:44:47 pm
Quote from: CatsRule on December 29, 2005, 03:42:33 am

O Brother Where Art Thou is a funny movie. Nobody is claiming it's a masterpiece, but it is worth watching if you need a good laugh.

It's called insomnia - and it stinks.  I realize it's no masterpiece and never even thought anyone was calling it that.  I was simply offering a different opinion.  Meanwhile, I suppose anyone that doesn't like this movie/think it's funny is stupid?  Is that what I'm getting from some of you?

This is why it has been so long since I returned to this site.  People get there feelings hurt way too easily.  No, you're not stupid.  Disagreeing with someone doesn't make you stupid, often times it can be quite the contrary.  I don't think I'm always right, but this movie is funny.  It's not the THE funniest movie, nor is it THE most awful comedy ever (I think people get too carried away these days with naming stuff the best/worst rather than just somewhere in between).  It's simply somewhere in between.  I think it's worth watching. 

hsu_05

I was simply pointing out that someone had stated that it took intelligence to appreciate this movie - insinuating that you'd have to be dumb not to like it.  Maybe I was reading too much into it - I don't know.  Either way, we're cool.  We just have different opinions about this particular movie.  Who knows?  The next movie that comes up, we may both love (or hate).

CatsRule

I'll give you a clap for good thinking.

donkeyfan

Yep, cool.  I love the movie, but I can see how it just might not be your thing. 

My other favorite line. 
Delmar, talking about Pete:  "They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad."

CatsRule

Quote from: donkeyfan on December 29, 2005, 05:01:59 pm
Yep, cool. I love the movie, but I can see how it just might not be your thing.

My other favorite line.
Delmar, talking about Pete: "They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad."

haha.  That's the line I think a/b every time I think of the movie.

Eddie Goodson

Once every ten years or so a movie comes along that gets it right on every level. This is one of them. It is without a doubt one of the five funniest movies ever made.

Blue Collar

"The preacher said all of my sins have been "washed" away".- Delmar.

"Y'all are more dumber than a bag of hammers."-  Ulysses

Mustang1434

Quote from: Blue Collar on December 31, 2005, 04:16:05 pm

"The preacher said that the Piggly Wiggly I knocked over in Yazoo was washed away too.Neither God nor man has anything against me now." - Delmar

"Well it's good to know that you are straight with the Lord but I have a feeling the state of Mississippi thinks otherwise." --Everett

Blue Collar

Quote from: Mustang1434 on December 31, 2005, 04:35:16 pm
Quote from: Blue Collar on December 31, 2005, 04:16:05 pm

"The preacher said that the Piggly Wiggly I knocked over in Yazoo was washed away too.Neither God nor man has anything against me now." - Delmar

"Well it's good to know that you are straight with the Lord but I have a feeling the state of Mississippi thinks otherwise." --Everett
Best Qoutes out of the movie.

Mustang1434

"Son, watch your language this here is a public market" --Old Storekeeper.

J.H.BearcatHasBeen

"Gopher Evred?"  "No thank yah Delmar, only a third of a gopher would arouse my appetite till we bed her back down."  "Oh you can have the whole thing me and pete ran across a whole gopher village."

arrowschick

"They done loved him up and turned him into a hooorny toad."
"He's a suitor."

You guys have already named a bunch of my favorites.

chilly gilly

" I AM A MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW! IVE SEEN TROUBLE ALL MY DAYS!"--------- THE SOGGY "BOOTY " BOYS! A CLASSIC!

busterdouglas

"What a town, every thing in the world is two weeks away.....dozen hair nets."

"Hey pappy, ain't you going to press the flesh?"

Blue Collar

Whenever the biblesaleman beats up Everett and Delmar and kills the toad. That part was funny.

donkeyfan

Big Dan Teague- "Makin' money in the service of the Lord".

Blue Collar

Quote from: donkeyfan on January 30, 2006, 05:01:03 pm
Big Dan Teague- "Makin' money in the service of the Lord".
One of the greatest chracters on that movie.

Flyer 87

My favorite part is when they pick up Tommy at the crossroads and he tells them he just sold his soul to the devil,   So Ulyssus tells him that Delmar and Pete have just been baptized and saved and it appears that He's the only one who is unaffiliated.

Blue Collar

Whenever Delmar was baptized. When he was running in the water and told Pete and Everett to come be baptized. Other part i like was when the trio was with George Nelson. Very good parts of the movie. The whole movie is awesome.

"SHOWKILLER"

What about,"Any of you boys Smitty's?"
or,"You fellas from the bank? Pa says I'm to shoot anyone with papers. I nicked the census man."
"Now there's a good boy!"
or, "Sir we ain't really colored all except our accompaniment, the fella that plays the guitar."
or, "We're mass communicating"
or, "Don't mean to be telling lies out of school but there's a man that will pay ya $10.00 for sing into his can"
Everett truly has the gift of gab.

dannyj

i liked that movie it was a tight movie

McKnz

"Hold on. Who elected you leader of this outfit?"

"Alright. Let's put it to a vote."

"I'm votin' for yours truly."

"Well, I'm votin' for yours truly too!"

"Well, I'm with you fellers."

ASU Rugby

You will never guess who made a guest appearance in this movie.....

GEORGE W. BUSH

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas