• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6'10 kid from Southside

Started by springdalesmitty, March 01, 2018, 03:14:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

springdalesmitty

What kind of game does this kid have? Good enough to play for hogs or Arkansas State?

pridgehog

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 01, 2018, 03:14:08 pm
What kind of game does this kid have? Good enough to play for hogs or Arkansas State?
I have been wondering too. We play them today and I have heard him and the Brogdon kid are really good. I played against a Brogdon in High School back in the late 90s. HE played at Highland.

Bbal789

He definitely is not good enough to play at an Arkansas or A State. I could see him at a D2 school but not a D1 school. The main thing about him is his size and he has really soft hands. He isn't the most athletic but he has good low post moves and gets a lot of rebounds. What he lacks in athleticism and speed he makes up for with effort. Alex Brogdon has a really nice stroke and can hit outside shots. The reason Southside's bigs are so effective is because it is extremely difficult to score inside on them. Southside's 3-2 zone is makes it extremely tough for teams to score inside the paint. I think Soutside's guards are their most skilled players. Grant Patterson is probably the best scorer. Will Sitkowski is extremely quick and good ball handler. Southside is just extremely balanced and no one player stands out.

JessieP

He may make it at a smaller school (FBS, Conway..etc) as a project. Potential, but not a D1 type player. In the Arkansas 4A 6'10 stands out, In NYC, Chicago or LA 6'10 grows on trees. He is a decent player but far from dominating. He's 75% of Southsides team, without him they are an average to good team.

JessieP

Quote from: Bbal789 on March 01, 2018, 03:27:05 pm
He definitely is not good enough to play at an Arkansas or A State. I could see him at a D2 school but not a D1 school. The main thing about him is his size and he has really soft hands. He isn't the most athletic but he has good low post moves and gets a lot of rebounds. What he lacks in athleticism and speed he makes up for with effort. Alex Brogdon has a really nice stroke and can hit outside shots. The reason Southside's bigs are so effective is because it is extremely difficult to score inside on them. Southside's 3-2 zone is makes it extremely tough for teams to score inside the paint. I think Soutside's guards are their most skilled players. Grant Patterson is probably the best scorer. Will Sitkowski is extremely quick and good ball handler. Southside is just extremely balanced and no one player stands out.

We were writing this at exactly the same time, great minds! Although I disagree when it comes to the supporting talent. The other 4 SS players are nothing to sweat. Take the Big Man out of the mix and BP beats them by 15-20 points.

Bbal789

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2018, 03:31:07 pm
He may make it at a smaller school (FBS, Conway..etc) as a project. Potential, but not a D1 type player. In the Arkansas 4A 6'10 stands out, In NYC, Chicago or LA 6'10 grows on trees. He is a decent player but far from dominating. He's 75% of Southsides team, without him they are an average to good team.

I don't know if I would say 75% of the team. Grant Patterson and Will Sitkowski the two games I've seen them play made everything happen for Soutside's offense. They were the ones getting the bigs the ball. They handle all the pressure from the defenses

Bbal789

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2018, 03:34:00 pm
We were writing this at exactly the same time, great minds Although I disagree when it comes to the supporting talent. The other 4 SS players are nothing to sweat. Take the Big Man out of the mix and BP beats them by 15-20 points.

That may be true but I feel like if you took any 1 of those 4 guys away and Baptist, Pottsville, or Westside could beat them. The reason Southside is so good this year is because they have all 4 of those players on their team playing and every other team has to deal with it.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2018, 03:34:00 pm
We were writing this at exactly the same time, great minds! Although I disagree when it comes to the supporting talent. The other 4 SS players are nothing to sweat. Take the Big Man out of the mix and BP beats them by 15-20 points.
"Great minds?" Lol one of you said no one player stands out, the other basically said one kid is the whole team. I'll bet one of you is correct! ;D

Bbal789

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on March 01, 2018, 03:37:43 pm
"Great minds?" Lol one of you said no one player stands out, the other basically said one kid is the whole team. I'll bet one of you is correct! ;D

Well the person asked if he was good enough to play for Arkansas or A state and we both agreed on the fact that he is not good enough to play D1.

LRRandy

He is a good player. His size is overwhelming for 4a Arkansas basketball but even though he is  such a mismatch he still works very hard and gets his position. He gets to the right spot to get his shot and has a decent touch

BigGuy22

For a 6'10" kid he isn't very physical. The Pea ridge center who is 6'2" keep in mind prevented him from scoring the first half.. he needs to get stronger and quicker if he even wants to think about playing D1

Ozark Hog

He's good as long as he is standing no more than a couple feet from the basket or in close enough to where he can dunk it other than that he's just big. Moves pretty good but for sure unless he really improves his offense game will be playing at some small college no D-1. At 6-10 and at a 4-A school you should dominate the game most 4-A schools are lucky if they have a player in the 6-4 to 6-6 height Southside has 2 big guys so it is hard for most 4-a teams to match up with them, if they were playing against bigger schools with players that have some size then you could see how good or bad he is.

Livewire

I've watch him play 8 times this year and agree that he is only able to produce from right under the basket. He's fortunate enough to have have a couple really good ball handlers that can shoot to open up a zone defense thus allowing them to ge it inside to him. It certainly helps that he is considered a top player and therefore gets the the forgiveness from the refs for many of the fouls he commits. Otherwise he'd be sitting the bench a lot.

StevenGlen

I'm am by no means a judge of talent but I did see a coach with Bilikins on his jacket and shirt was in the stands watching that game. While I did not visit with the gentleman I suspect St. Louis University may have more than a passing interest in him.

Bbal789

Quote from: Livewire on March 02, 2018, 08:38:56 am
I've watch him play 8 times this year and agree that he is only able to produce from right under the basket. He's fortunate enough to have have a couple really good ball handlers that can shoot to open up a zone defense thus allowing them to ge it inside to him. It certainly helps that he is considered a top player and therefore gets the the forgiveness from the refs for many of the fouls he commits. Otherwise he'd be sitting the bench a lot.

The refs make it a lot easier for him it seems like. Put a hand on him and it seems like an automatic foul. He is a good defender though. Gets a lot of blocked shots from the games I've seen

87DAWG

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 01, 2018, 03:14:08 pm
Big Tom will fit in somewhere in a D1 school, on nothing else size, he is not real athletic but can get up and down the floor and can score. He is not asked to shoot anywhere but in the paint but has a good touch and can knock down the 15 footer. Tom is not the whole team but with SS, it takes all 5 of those guys. Take away one player from any of these 4A  schools left, that is the starting 5, and they all in danger of losing. Take away McBride from Baptist Prep and you think Baptist Prep is still playing??? No way.

Mulerider4Life

Wish we could get him to look at SAU in Magnolia!

Eagle20

Harding is very interested in him.  I am not saying he could not develop into a lower D-1 player but he could be very effective in D-2.  Nice hands, moves well, makes free throws, plays some defense and seems to stay out of foul trouble.  He is supposedly only 3 hours from being able to graduate this year.  Don't be surprised if he is playing in college next year somewhere. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas