• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-4A Week 8

Started by SUGARTOWN, October 16, 2017, 10:29:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Baptist Prep @ Riverview

Southside @ Heber Springs

CAC @ Lonoke

Stuttgart @ HWH

Southside continued their hold on the #1 seed last week, but a trip to Heber this week will be a little tougher than their trip to CAC last week. I think they still have enough to pull out a win. Riverview rolls over Baptist Prep, Lonoke over CAC and I've already given my thoughts about Stuttgart-HWH in the dedicated game thread.

A HWH win keeps their hopes alive for a #1 seed, a Stuttgart win will have them in position for the #2 seed with two weeks left.

BTW, what happened to Heber's lone poster, Lake Rat?

SouthernerPride

Heber is a tough place to go in and win. So it's really a toss up.

If Southside can continue their roll, I believe they cruise to the quarterfinals.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: SouthernerPride on October 16, 2017, 03:14:37 pm
Heber is a tough place to go in and win. So it's really a toss up.

If Southside can continue their roll, I believe they cruise to the quarterfinals.

Hmmm, have you seen the bracket?

beach bum

October 16, 2017, 03:25:46 pm #3 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:27:27 pm by beach bum
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 16, 2017, 03:19:53 pm
Hmmm, have you seen the bracket?

Arkadelphia will beat them by 3 or 4 touchdowns in the 2nd round....

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on October 16, 2017, 03:25:46 pm
Arkadelphia will beat them by 3 or 4 touchdowns in the 2nd round....

Yeah, that was my point.  8)

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 16, 2017, 03:29:50 pm
Yeah, that was my point.  8)

I honestly think if Stuttgart gets the 2 seed then you all have a better shot at getting to the quarterfinals than Southside.... Gravette will be our 4 seed and that is who you all will get if you get the 2. They are scrappy, but I'd lean you all. If you draw PG then you could win a low scoring game against PG imo.... PG might be favored at home, but I wouldn't be shocked at all with the 2 styles if Stuttgart could win at PG in a game in the low 20's score line.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on October 16, 2017, 03:34:56 pm
I honestly think if Stuttgart gets the 2 seed then you all have a better shot at getting to the quarterfinals than Southside.... Gravette will be our 4 seed and that is who you all will get if you get the 2. They are scrappy, but I'd lean you all. If you draw PG then you could win a low scoring game against PG imo.... PG might be favored at home, but I wouldn't be shocked at all with the 2 styles if Stuttgart could win at PG in a game in the low 20's score line.

That's exactly my thinking as well. The Birds must win this week to get control of the #2 seed however.

SouthernerPride

I've not looked at the bracket yet, but I do know the 4A-7 is stacked and we will likely be outmatched by any team we face in round 2. I do believe I heard someone say last Friday that if we did win out, we'd have home field advantage until the quarterfinals.

bulldoghistorian

You'll actually have home field until at least the semi's.

Kanndie39

Riverview mercy

Southside 21

CAC 7

Stuttgart 17

Little Bear

I have seen SS Batesville play.   They can hang with Arkadelphia.  This is probably the most improved program in the past 3-4 years in 4A.   What they lack is what most 4A teams lack - depth.   If their starters stay healthy they are a top 5 team in 4A.   

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Little Bear on October 18, 2017, 03:31:26 pm
I have seen SS Batesville play.   They can hang with Arkadelphia.  This is probably the most improved program in the past 3-4 years in 4A.   What they lack is what most 4A teams lack - depth.   If their starters stay healthy they are a top 5 team in 4A.

I've seen both play. They'll have a hard time scoring against Arkadelphia, wouldn't shock me at all if they got shutout. They'll get almost nothing on the ground, anything they get would have to be through the air.

cuckoobird

No one should hang their hat on the 7-4a being stacked. That same perception was in place last year until the playoffs happened

LakeRat

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 16, 2017, 10:29:31 am

Southside continued their hold on the #1 seed last week, but a trip to Heber this week will be a little tougher than their trip to CAC last week. I think they still have enough to pull out a win.

BTW, what happened to Heber's lone poster, Lake Rat?

I'm still around, but don't visit as often due to a busy life schedule...

Heber Panthers are heading into their toughest conference match-up this season. The Southerners sound like they'e got a solid team on both sides of the ball and are playing tough.

The Panthers haven't had their best season to date. They tend to play up or down to their opponents level each week. I think this match-up will be won in the trenches and the Southerners appear to have a stout line and the size/speed to dominate both ways there.

Offensively... both teams can post points and have great threats at the skill positions. The key for the Panthers is no mistakes and while Martin has a great arm... he needs to read the defenses better and avoid interceptions.

Defensively... the Panthers are quick and agile. They've been executing well as the season has progressed. If they can limit the Southside running game and keep the scoring close, then this will be a tight game.

Overall I think the Southerners hold an edge to win this one. It's been great watching this program rise to a competitive level within 2-4A and I look forward to our match-ups each year. Hope all the Southside fans have a safe trip down here and hope our Homecoming isn't a distraction for the players!!

SUGARTOWN

Good to hear from you Lake Rat...hope you guys pull off the upset tonight. Good luck.

MoChedda

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 20, 2017, 09:23:07 am
Good to hear from you Lake Rat...hope you guys pull off the upset tonight. Good luck.
Yeap pulling for HEBER this week Go Panthers! Sugartown we got a big one on our hands and it's should be great game with that being said Cougars by 10

cuckoobird

HAhahahahahahahahah 😂😂😂😂

You should get a gig on Comedy Central

MoChedda

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 20, 2017, 03:30:40 pm
HAhahahahahahahahah 😂😂😂😂

You should get a gig on Comedy Central
We will see who will be laughing after the game. Didn't we spoil your birthday last year. Lol

cuckoobird

October 20, 2017, 05:18:32 pm #18 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:38:33 pm by cuckoobird
I don't think I've ever seen Helena attempt an extra point much less a field goal and no, we won last year

beach bum

I'd say the cats out of the bag on Batesville Southside... They're struggling with an average Heber team. Stuttgart improving every week it seems. I hope Stuttgart somehow avoids the #2 for Prairie Grove's sake. Stuttgart and PG would end up being the best 2nd round match up if that happens the way the Ricebirds are starting to mesh some.

SUGARTOWN

Ricebirds playing like that preseason top 10 team the past few games...

cuckoobird

RoadWarrior

Seeing this game in person I can say that stuttgart is a very physical dominating team. I thought HWH was fast...wow them Ricebirds are smoking!!!

LakeRat

Quote from: beach bum on October 20, 2017, 08:43:26 pm
I'd say the cats out of the bag on Batesville Southside... They're struggling with an average Heber team. Stuttgart improving every week it seems. I hope Stuttgart somehow avoids the #2 for Prairie Grove's sake. Stuttgart and PG would end up being the best 2nd round match up if that happens the way the Ricebirds are starting to mesh some.

I wouldn't describe Southside as struggling against the Panthers. It was 4 solid quarters of hard play. A couple of key interceptions on deep drives shifted the tide against the Southerners and without those they would have put away the Panthers. Neither team left anything on the field...

philip.seaton

Quote from: beach bum on October 20, 2017, 08:43:26 pm

The way things set-up now with the three-way tie, seeding would be, 1. Southside Batesville, 2. Stuttgart, 3. Heber Springs. For the Ricebirds, not to get the No. 2, they need Southside to lose again or at least struggle and Heber Springs to win out and gain 12 conference points over Southside.

As far as average on Heber Springs, you may be right, but there are three teams tied at 4-1 in the conference standings. One has a 7-1 record the other two are 5-3. To call one average, would be calling the others average too.

beach bum

Quote from: philip.seaton on October 21, 2017, 06:27:59 pm
The way things set-up now with the three-way tie, seeding would be, 1. Southside Batesville, 2. Stuttgart, 3. Heber Springs. For the Ricebirds, not to get the No. 2, they need Southside to lose again or at least struggle and Heber Springs to win out and gain 12 conference points over Southside.

As far as average on Heber Springs, you may be right, but there are three teams tied at 4-1 in the conference standings. One has a 7-1 record the other two are 5-3. To call one average, would be calling the others average too.

I believe Stuttgart has had a defense all year and are making adjustments on offense that lead me to believe they have improved quite a bit compared to those 2 other teams in the last month. I do not want to see Prairie Grove play Stuttgart so I am rooting for Southside to lose one more in conference and avoid the Ricebirds. Those two other schools have zero postseason history and that plays a factor in the postseason. I believe any team in the state would rather see Southside or Heber than Stuttgart in the postseason. It's a different culture of winning that can be a factor in the playoffs. Their coach has also been in big postseason games in the past and has experience too.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on October 22, 2017, 07:47:14 pm
I believe Stuttgart has had a defense all year and are making adjustments on offense that lead me to believe they have improved quite a bit compared to those 2 other teams in the last month. I do not want to see Prairie Grove play Stuttgart so I am rooting for Southside to lose one more in conference and avoid the Ricebirds. Those two other schools have zero postseason history and that plays a factor in the postseason. I believe any team in the state would rather see Southside or Heber than Stuttgart in the postseason. It's a different culture of winning that can be a factor in the playoffs. Their coach has also been in big postseason games in the past and has experience too.

Yeah, big time adjustments on offense after the Southside loss has the team looking like I thought they would all year. Price also made a big adjustment on defense that helped shore up the defensive line. They seem to keep improving each week on both sides of the ball as well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas