• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest Surprises This Years-Positive & Negative

Started by Dayton Kitchens, October 09, 2017, 03:57:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayton Kitchens

Strictly in my opinion based on what I've heard score wise and by word of mouth:

Positive-  Mountain Pine- completely unpredicted massive revival in all respects.

Negative- Dierks- my own beloved school- where be thy defense?

Mike Bonds

Mountain Pine, I think, goes to show how even small changes can affect outcomes, especially in 2A.  Have a class that's a bit bigger than normal, or a few move ins, or lots of seniors, and things can change quickly.  Lose a few kids to move outs or injuries or cash out a large senior class, and things can turn on you quickly. 

Dierks is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Last year's 6-5 mark wasn't all world, certainly, but I didn't see them going winless, either.

Negatives:  Augusta not fielding a team.  The Red Devils had some great squads in the 1980s and early 1990s, so to see them not have enough to field a team is sad.  Just more evidence of the great emptying out of rural Eastern Arkansas.  I didn't expect Carlisle to be a 1-win team at this point.

Positives:  Mountainburg is a bit of a surprise to me thus far, and Hazen is really picking up steam. 

DnA Prostaff

Burg was a big surprise to me too! I expected Hackett to come in and roll over them, graduating something like 14 seniors off of a 30 player roster.... however, the Dragons are pretty good! Must be a testament to Coach Harrell down there. Lot of speed, a big physical line, sitting at 5-1 and only loss was to Danville. Wasn't at the game but was told a starter in the secondary went down with a compound fracture and totally killed the mood of playing football for the Dragons that night..

southarkdaddy

Positive - Magnet Cove being competitive in the 52A again

Negative - 72A

tacklethis...

Mt Pine is the biggest thing of 2A this season hands down. Im really happy for them.

We expected a down year at Dierks this year but I think we felt a 4-5 win season was obtainable...they are improving....

Rida4Life

Positive:  Magnet Cove, Mountain Pine, Parkers Chapel (although the jury is still out on PC)

Negative: Augusta/Hermitage, Dierks, Carlisle

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Rida4Life on October 12, 2017, 01:27:15 pm
Positive:  Magnet Cove, Mountain Pine, Parkers Chapel (although the jury is still out on PC)

Negative: Augusta/Hermitage, Dierks, Carlisle

I should have included the Hermits, too.  Hated to hear they wouldn't be able to make the season.

playmaker04

Positive surprises:
Mountain Pine-After forfeiting most of their games in 2016 to come back like they have this season is impressive.
Danville-Thought this might be a rebuilding year but evidently not
Mountainburg- Only loss to Danville
Hector-Another one I thought would be rebuilding
Hazen-Didnt really expect much from them but they are playing well
Foreman- Lost two thirds of that vaunted rushing attack but hasn't fazed them
Parker's Chapel- Would hate to have to play them if they end up a 5 seed

Negative Surprises:
Cross County-Started the season about as bad as possible
Dierks-0-6 nuff said

Dayton Kitchens

My biggest surprise aside from the ones in the opening post are that so many teams seem to be playing partial seasons and then folding "for safety reasons"  because they don't have enough players.

They know how many players they have going into the season.   Any seasoned coach can make reasonable projections about his projected injury loss rates as the season progresses.

tacklethis...

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2017, 06:52:11 pm
My biggest surprise aside from the ones in the opening post are that so many teams seem to be playing partial seasons and then folding "for safety reasons"  because they don't have enough players.

They know how many players they have going into the season.   Any seasoned coach can make reasonable projections about his projected injury loss rates as the season progresses.

As you know by opening your Facebook account daily, the world is different than it was before....When I was in the 9th grade Bradley was suffering from the same issues, they played us at Bradley with 11 players, and 1 had a sprained ankle and could barely move. But they played any way and played hard. In todays time that kid's parents would have tried to sue the school...or our school (or both) for that matter...

Rida4Life

Quote from: Danold Dump on October 18, 2017, 08:19:05 am
dumps biggest surprise...Hillary not in prison..

Let's make this happen.......

new biggest surprise.... Woodlawn doesn't make the season.  Very disappointed in the Bears.  Probably time to turn that field back into a cow pasture.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Danold Dump on October 18, 2017, 08:19:05 am
dumps biggest surprise...Hillary not in prison..

Hey my ole buddy Dump is back....good to see ya my friend

scrapdig

Quote from: Mike Bonds on October 09, 2017, 04:29:43 pm
Mountain Pine, I think, goes to show how even small changes can affect outcomes, especially in 2A.  Have a class that's a bit bigger than normal, or a few move ins, or lots of seniors, and things can change quickly.  Lose a few kids to move outs or injuries or cash out a large senior class, and things can turn on you quickly. 

Dierks is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Last year's 6-5 mark wasn't all world, certainly, but I didn't see them going winless, either.

Negatives:  Augusta not fielding a team.  The Red Devils had some great squads in the 1980s and early 1990s, so to see them not have enough to field a team is sad.  Just more evidence of the great emptying out of rural Eastern Arkansas.  I didn't expect Carlisle to be a 1-win team at this point.

Positives:  Mountainburg is a bit of a surprise to me thus far, and Hazen is really picking up steam.
Dierks lost a pretty talented group of seniors

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 18, 2017, 06:56:38 am
As you know by opening your Facebook account daily, the world is different than it was before....When I was in the 9th grade Bradley was suffering from the same issues, they played us at Bradley with 11 players, and 1 had a sprained ankle and could barely move. But they played any way and played hard. In todays time that kid's parents would have tried to sue the school...or our school (or both) for that matter...
[/quote

I don't have a facebook account.    At least not an active one.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 18, 2017, 06:56:38 am

the world is different.   But not that different.   Adults need to be adults and step forward and raise the bar.   Adversity is a time to step forward.   Not step back.    A time to expect more not less.

DnA Prostaff

Biggest surprise happened tonight.  Mountainburg Dragons mercy ruled the Hackett Hornets....   Dragons looking strong, hard to handle, and they will hit too.

southarkdaddy

I guess Woodlawn is on the dissappointment list too.  Couldn't quit taking BP long enough for a football team this season. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas