• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle Bison season

Started by BisonDuo, October 09, 2017, 08:37:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BisonDuo

I think it is time for the Uhiren experiment to be over.  The old guard in town wanted him, but the results are not good.  I am not talking about just on the field.  From what I can tell the kids don't respect him.  I also hear that he had an altercation on the bus where another player hit a teammate and nobody was punished.  He is trying to play old school power football with these kids.  I was at the game Friday night where his offense only had first downs on penalties.  At this rate they might win 3 games and make the playoffs to get blasted.  The ironic thing is that if you take away the forfeit situation, Jack Keith won 4 games on the field every year and that wasn't good enough for people around here.

Ventman

There were chances to hire good coaches but it did not happen. Colud have hired coach Roland and the current coach at DA. Either one of those would have been super hires. Something has to give, what their doing now isn't working.

BisonFan1

Wow...that did not take long.  The guy comes in and immediately has a really good year in his first season (and one of the better years Carlisle has had in a while) and now, all of a sudden, he can't coach, doesn't know what he's doing, etc.  Look, I think we all (myself included) underestimated the lack of leadership and talent the Bison would have this year.  They also have had a slew of injuries which makes a HUGE difference when you have little to no depth to begin with.  No doubt they are taking some lumps this year, but I still support both the kids and the staff.  It does not take an NFL scout to see that they have simply been outmanned/outgunned in most of the games they have played.   

As far as the whole players fighting thing, I know Coach Uhiren is a standup guy who will handle things by the book.  If a player struck another player and it was proven to be true, I'm sure appropriate sanctions were applied.  Also, you mention that none of the kids have any respect for him; funny, if you talk to the seniors from last year's team (as I have), they all seem to think very highly of Coach Uhiren and the discipline and structure that he brought to the program. Maybe 'these kids' don't like him because he makes them tow the line and be accountable for their actions, instead of getting their way.     

NWA Hawg

Quote from: BisonDuo on October 09, 2017, 08:37:26 am
I think it is time for the Uhiren experiment to be over.  The old guard in town wanted him, but the results are not good.  I am not talking about just on the field.  From what I can tell the kids don't respect him.  I also hear that he had an altercation on the bus where another player hit a teammate and nobody was punished.  He is trying to play old school power football with these kids.  I was at the game Friday night where his offense only had first downs on penalties.  At this rate they might win 3 games and make the playoffs to get blasted.  The ironic thing is that if you take away the forfeit situation, Jack Keith won 4 games on the field every year and that wasn't good enough for people around here.

What's Carlisle running on offense this year?

Sonofasonofasailor

October 09, 2017, 10:17:02 pm #4 Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:22:20 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: BisonFan1 on October 09, 2017, 02:23:35 pm
Wow...that did not take long.  The guy comes in and immediately has a really good year in his first season (and one of the better years Carlisle has had in a while) and now, all of a sudden, he can't coach, doesn't know what he's doing, etc.  Look, I think we all (myself included) underestimated the lack of leadership and talent the Bison would have this year.  They also have had a slew of injuries which makes a HUGE difference when you have little to no depth to begin with.  No doubt they are taking some lumps this year, but I still support both the kids and the staff.  It does not take an NFL scout to see that they have simply been outmanned/outgunned in most of the games they have played.   

As far as the whole players fighting thing, I know Coach Uhiren is a standup guy who will handle things by the book.  If a player struck another player and it was proven to be true, I'm sure appropriate sanctions were applied.  Also, you mention that none of the kids have any respect for him; funny, if you talk to the seniors from last year's team (as I have), they all seem to think very highly of Coach Uhiren and the discipline and structure that he brought to the program. Maybe 'these kids' don't like him because he makes them tow the line and be accountable for their actions, instead of getting their way.   

As the judge in My Cousin Vinny said, that's a lucid, well thought out post.  Lots of common sense backed up by facts.  You obviously support the program and don't have an agenda like  someone who would create a new account/username, post in an existing thread and then start a new thread when there were no replies.   

bigworm

Just a down cycle for the bison. How are the jhi and 7th grade doin?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bigworm on October 09, 2017, 11:47:23 pm
Just a down cycle for the bison. How are the jhi and 7th grade doin?

Not to good from what I saw.

LC sports

Quote from: BisonFan1 on October 09, 2017, 02:23:35 pm

In 2011, the Bison went to the State Finals. In 2012, they went to the state quarterfinals. In 2013, they went to the state semifinals. That's very recent memory.

BisonFan1

Quote from: LC sports on October 10, 2017, 09:20:02 am
In 2011, the Bison went to the State Finals. In 2012, they went to the state quarterfinals. In 2013, they went to the state semifinals. That's very recent memory.

I know the success they had under Waymire/Barbee, but since that 2013 run, they had not done much of anything prior to Uhiren's arrival.  My point was, I think he did a great job his first year...considering the previous few years, prior to his arrival.  No one was complaining last year; now you have people coming on here saying he ought to be fired.  The fact of the matter is they have four seniors, little to no talent (and if you think otherwise, then you are crazy), have had numerous injuries and no depth.  You could have Lou Holtz coaching and I doubt the results would be much different.

Look at Hazen's coach last year; I remember some people on here calling for his job because of the year they had  Now look at this year.  Did he miraculously learn how to coach again or was it a matter of them being extremely young last year and being more seasoned/ready this year? 

HoopKing

At some point coaches have to adapt to the players they have.  Even James Clayton back in the day let his offense go to the spread with one of his assistants calling the plays.  As far as facts are concerned it is true that there was a fight on the bus and not one extra sprint was run by the offenders.  Don't call yourself old school and hard discipline when you won't punish a kid for punching his teammate.  I think he did a good job last year but in today's time and culture it's about what have you done lately.

BisonFan1

Quote from: HoopKing on October 10, 2017, 10:30:16 am
At some point coaches have to adapt to the players they have.  Even James Clayton back in the day let his offense go to the spread with one of his assistants calling the plays.  As far as facts are concerned it is true that there was a fight on the bus and not one extra sprint was run by the offenders.  Don't call yourself old school and hard discipline when you won't punish a kid for punching his teammate.  I think he did a good job last year but in today's time and culture it's about what have you done lately.

As far as this fight is concerned, I wasn't there, haven't heard anything about it (other than here) so I'm not going to speculate.  Second, by spread, do you mean throwing the ball around the lot?  If so, that is hilarious.  You got to have three things in order for that to work:  a QB who can consistently make the throws, a line that can protect and receivers who can catch.  Carlisle is severely lacking in all three of those areas.  I do think the QB has improved tremendously from what I saw of him last year, but i don't think you scrap everything to switch mid-season. 

And lastly, unfortunately you are correct about the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.  I do think it's funny how Keith had extremely subpar years, had little to no control over the players and was involved in playing an ineligible player (thereby forfeiting all four wins) and no one said a word and are actually pointing to him as someone who did a better job during his time. 

Old Scrapper

Quote from: BisonFan1 on October 10, 2017, 10:10:21 am
I know the success they had under Waymire/Barbee, but since that 2013 run, they had not done much of anything prior to Uhiren's arrival.  My point was, I think he did a great job his first year...considering the previous few years, prior to his arrival.  No one was complaining last year; now you have people coming on here saying he ought to be fired.  The fact of the matter is they have four seniors, little to no talent (and if you think otherwise, then you are crazy), have had numerous injuries and no depth.  You could have Lou Holtz coaching and I doubt the results would be much different.

Look at Hazen's coach last year; I remember some people on here calling for his job because of the year they had  Now look at this year.  Did he miraculously learn how to coach again or was it a matter of them being extremely young last year and being more seasoned/ready this year?
It's all about the kids you have playing, a lot of the times in 2A ball a team will have enough players to make a team but there is very little talent. and that will always bring out the "fire the coach" talk. last year Ole Alabama Nick couldn't have won anymore games with the Hazen team than Joe did. it's tough reality but if anyone knows anything about football he/she should be able to see when a team is lacking in overall talent. the spread is exciting to watch but if the talent is not there, well it's a terrible thing to watch.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Old Scrapper on October 10, 2017, 11:20:44 am
It's all about the kids you have playing, a lot of the times in 2A ball a team will have enough players to make a team but there is very little talent. and that will always bring out the "fire the coach" talk. last year Ole Alabama Nick couldn't have won anymore games with the Hazen team than Joe did. it's tough reality but if anyone knows anything about football he/she should be able to see when a team is lacking in overall talent. the spread is exciting to watch but if the talent is not there, well it's a terrible thing to watch.

Very well stated, sir.  Couldn't agree more.

BrianfromCarlisle

I don't believe he Meant go to an all out sprint passing attack at all. And I agree completely with what he is saying. You adapt offense to what you do have. And what you do have, is a quarterback who is also a track athlete and a very good one at that. Yet he rarely if ever runs the ball. And you have a running back with Good speed but lacking in size to effectively run inside.  Simply go to the pistol formation out of the diamond T. Run option plays and put 2 in short passing routes. You'd be amazed how much better their quarterback that you say Can't throw will be able to throw when he is already back and in position to make a quick throw.  Then you can't stack the box and can run. Jenkins is quick and is a gamer. Having him simply hand off to people all game long is wasting an opportunity To capitalize on his running ability.
The jr high Would benefit from running the same type of offense

BisonFan1

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on October 10, 2017, 12:02:02 pm
I don't believe he Meant go to an all out sprint passing attack at all. And I agree completely with what he is saying. You adapt offense to what you do have. And what you do have, is a quarterback who is also a track athlete and a very good one at that. Yet he rarely if ever runs the ball. And you have a running back with Good speed but lacking in size to effectively run inside.  Simply go to the pistol formation out of the diamond T. Run option plays and put 2 in short passing routes. You'd be amazed how much better their quarterback that you say Can't throw will be able to throw when he is already back and in position to make a quick throw.  Then you can't stack the box and can run. Jenkins is quick and is a gamer. Having him simply hand off to people all game long is wasting an opportunity To capitalize on his running ability.

I'm just guessing but they may not run him because if he goes down, there is no one else to QB the team.  That's something you have to take into consideration considering they are now in the teens with all the other injuries.  I do think a few wrinkles here and there may help, but it's not going to be the cure all. 

My point in all of this is to say that coming on here and spouting off about how the coach needs to be fired a year and a half into his tenure is ludicrous.  I mean, BB is on year five and gets to recruit his own players and has had less than favorable outcomes and yet he is still there. 

Overall (big picture), I like the progress that the program has made.  It was close to rock bottom prior to Keith's departure and in one year the boys won 7 games, a non-conference game (against a 4A school), hosted a playoff game and won a playoff game.  They also were a handful of touchdowns from winning the conference.  This year, they have struggled; no denying that.  But I think that will pay huge dividends next year when everyone is back except for the four seniors.  Also, the roughest stretch of their schedule is out of the way.  They have a chance now to stockpile some wins against P/W, Brinkley and Clarendon before finishing out against McCrory.   

Ventman

I agree with you Bison the talent is down. Im not doubting the coaches ability. I just think if they had gone a different direction when waymire and barbaree left the program would be in much better shape now. I believe if the would have hired Roland or Widner, it would be a whole different story for the program. I think numbers would still be better under those coaches. JMO and you know what they say about that.

Old Scrapper

Quote from: Ventman on October 10, 2017, 12:53:40 pm
I agree with you Bison the talent is down. Im not doubting the coaches ability. I just think if they had gone a different direction when waymire and barbaree left the program would be in much better shape now. I believe if the would have hired Roland or Widner, it would be a whole different story for the program. I think numbers would still be better under those coaches. JMO and you know what they say about that.
Widner is a good coach, great at motivating his kids to play at top of their potential. he will also keep it interesting with his play calling. SO I HOPE YOUR READING THIS COACH B!! DON'T FORGET ABOUT WIDNER AND HIS TRICK PLAYS, that dang fake punt he popped on us a couple of years back was a killer for Hazen's momentum.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Maybe carlisle should run that goofy offense they run in peewee? No way is that helping y'all kids.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Old Scrapper on October 10, 2017, 01:03:31 pm
Widner is a good coach, great at motivating his kids to play at top of their potential. he will also keep it interesting with his play calling. SO I HOPE YOUR READING THIS COACH B!! DON'T FORGET ABOUT WIDNER AND HIS TRICK PLAYS, that dang fake punt he popped on us a couple of years back was a killer for Hazen's momentum.

We just run it between the tackles and a couple sweeps every now and then.

big E

Quote from: BisonFan1 on October 10, 2017, 12:34:56 pm
I'm just guessing but they may not run him because if he goes down, there is no one else to QB the team.  That's something you have to take into consideration considering they are now in the teens with all the other injuries.  I do think a few wrinkles here and there may help, but it's not going to be the cure all. 

My point in all of this is to say that coming on here and spouting off about how the coach needs to be fired a year and a half into his tenure is ludicrous.  I mean, BB is on year five and gets to recruit his own players and has had less than favorable outcomes and yet he is still there. 

Overall (big picture), I like the progress that the program has made.  It was close to rock bottom prior to Keith's departure and in one year the boys won 7 games, a non-conference game (against a 4A school), hosted a playoff game and won a playoff game.  They also were a handful of touchdowns from winning the conference.  This year, they have struggled; no denying that.  But I think that will pay huge dividends next year when everyone is back except for the four seniors.  Also, the roughest stretch of their schedule is out of the way.  They have a chance now to stockpile some wins against P/W, Brinkley and Clarendon before finishing out against McCrory.   
I wouldn't mark the PW game down as a win just yet.

Ventman

October 10, 2017, 02:38:41 pm #20 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:59:25 pm by Ventman
They will have to play an awesome game to beat PW.

bigworm

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on October 10, 2017, 12:02:02 pm

Maybe they should hire you. Haha. It's "simple". Just pickin atcha now. Don't go gettin all mad about it 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: LC sports on October 10, 2017, 09:20:02 am

As others pointed out, talent is cyclical in small towns.  Didn't Ricks and Weddell (sp) play on some of those teams?  They obviously don't have anyone of that caliber right now. 

Football_Fanatic_52

I know I am an old school cat, that played in different times than now, but when did we as Americans or even these "small towns" more so get away from giving RESPECT based upon someones age or position, and not whether we like the person or not?! I was always taught and teach my children you RESPECT anyone that is older, especially 21 and over, or anyone that holds a position that puts them in charge! Children and Athletes today don't understand that. Plus there is so much of the "Delta" that does not have PRIDE anymore!

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Old Scrapper on October 10, 2017, 11:20:44 am

2A teams are extremely sensitive to changes in numbers and personnel.  Just ask England this year.

BigLion10

Quote from: Mike Bonds on October 11, 2017, 08:43:22 am
2A teams are extremely sensitive to changes in numbers and personnel.  Just ask England this year.
What in the world does England have to do with this. We knew we were going to be young this year, but we still compete hard and should've beaten Magnet and CC, but lost it in the end. Carlisle has their own problems to deal with

Sonofasonofasailor

I think it is time for the Uhiren experiment to be over.  The old guard in town wanted him, but the results are not good.  I am not talking about just on the field. From what I can tell the kids don't respect him.  I also hear that he had an altercation on the bus where another player hit a teammate and nobody was punished.  He is trying to play old school power football with these kids.  I was at the game Friday night where his offense only had first downs on penalties.  At this rate they might win 3 games and make the playoffs to get blasted.  The ironic thing is that if you take away the forfeit situation, Jack Keith won 4 games on the field every year and that wasn't good enough for people around here.

Stopped by Carlisle to get some Nick's and had a casual conversation with some locals at the next table.  One thing I found interesting is the jr. team started the season 0-4 but is now 4-4.  If kids don't respect a coach, they would have quit on him and just gone through the motions after a start like that. 

HoopKing

It's called scheduling. The jr high conference is freaking horrible.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on October 22, 2017, 04:30:16 pm

Maybe but if kids have no respect for the coach, they couldn't beat a girls' basketball team after that kind of start.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HoopKing on October 22, 2017, 04:30:16 pm

How is it horrible?

HoopKing

Des arc is good and Augusta beat us pretty bad.  Other than that it's down

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HoopKing on October 22, 2017, 08:52:43 pm
Des arc is good and Augusta beat us pretty bad.  Other than that it's down

Mccrory is good also. Clarendon is also, you will see them Thursday, right?

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on October 22, 2017, 01:51:46 pm
Stopped by Carlisle to get some Nick's and had a casual conversation with some locals at the next table.  One thing I found interesting is the jr. team started the season 0-4 but is now 4-4.  If kids don't respect a coach, they would have quit on him and just gone through the motions after a start like that.

I am also pleased with the progress the jr. high team has made.  They started out rough but they lost to Lonoke (4A school and, I believe, still undefeated), Des Arc, McCrory and Augusta, I think.  The back half of the schedule has definitely been easier, but I think some credit has to be given to the players as well as the coaches for the improvements.  It would have been easy for everyone to "throw in the towel," but they regrouped and stuck together and it is showing on the field.  I will say this, I like the size that we have in the jr. high, especially on the lines.  Hopefully those big boys will stick with it and continue to progress in the weight room. 

The Boz

2010 Quarterfinals 10-3
2011 State Finals 13-1
2012 Quarterfinals 10-2
2013 Semifinals 12-2
since then 17-24 that is counting 4 games they had to forfeit because of ineligible player.
Not coaching just cycle of lower talent.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: The Boz on October 22, 2017, 10:08:50 pm
2010 Quarterfinals 10-3
2011 State Finals 13-1
2012 Quarterfinals 10-2
2013 Semifinals 12-2
since then 17-24 that is counting 4 games they had to forfeit because of ineligible player.
Not coaching just cycle of lower talent.

Now don't bring common sense and facts into the discussion.  It's counterproductive to the agenda a few folks seem to have.

Lions84

The Scourge of the Grand Prairie had a bit of a down cycle in over all talent and as Mike Bonds said injuries can gut your season.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Lions84 on October 24, 2017, 08:42:39 am
The Scourge of the Grand Prairie had a bit of a down cycle in over all talent and as Mike Bonds said injuries can gut your season.

Just read in the local paper where the Bison have six players out with season-ending injuries.  That's tough to overcome and, if my math is correct, that only leaves them with 15 available players.  But I guess that is the coach's fault too...

Lions84

Folks who never played or coached just default to blaming the Coach. 

southarkdaddy

Right.  A lot of coaches pour their heart and soul into making their team as good as they possibly can.  But the patrons in the bleachers often don't put their heart and soul into anything but blaming the coach. 

Big Dave

I have 2 boys that played under Coach U in Carlisle and they love and respect him. They will actually defend him amongst the kids that talk crap about him. He is hard nosed and set in his ways... But aren't most coaches. He got the most out of my least athletic soon than kids who were more talented than him

raider99

When will the 9th grade players be able to move up to fill spots ?

BisonFan1

Quote from: raider99 on October 26, 2017, 10:59:00 am
When will the 9th grade players be able to move up to fill spots ?

I think the 9th graders can move up after their final junior high game. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Lions84 on October 26, 2017, 10:01:35 am
Folks who never played or coached just default to blaming the Coach.

So true.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Big Dave on October 26, 2017, 10:18:21 am
I have 2 boys that played under Coach U in Carlisle and they love and respect him. They will actually defend him amongst the kids that talk crap about him. He is hard nosed and set in his ways... But aren't most coaches. He got the most out of my least athletic soon than kids who were more talented than him

I know several of the seniors from last year's team and all of them told me that they loved playing for Coach U.  Yes, he is tough and hard-nosed, but I don't see anything wrong with that.  Honestly, more of this generation could use some of that, instead of constantly being told how great they are. 

This season has just been the perfect storm: young team, four seniors, lack of team speed/athletes, no depth and a bunch of injuries.  No reason to get down on anyone.  Hopefully, next year, things will be better. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Big Dave on October 26, 2017, 10:18:21 am

That's good to hear.  He had a senior laden team last year and the roster flipped this year.  I doubt he forgot how to coach over the summer but got caught with some youth and hit with injuries. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2017, 09:12:16 pm
Mccrory is good also. Clarendon is also, you will see them Thursday, right?

Saw a Facebook post that said Clarendon won 24-22,  Tied at 8 at the half so it sounds like two evenly matched teams.

Big Dave

Muffed kickoff by Carlisle in the 2nd half is what sealed the deal for Clarendon.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Big Dave on October 27, 2017, 06:46:38 am
Muffed kickoff by Carlisle in the 2nd half is what sealed the deal for Clarendon.

The OP probably thinks he muffed it on purpose because he doesn't respect the coach.   :)

Cove Man

I stopped at Nick's on my way to Memphis the other night. I've been wanting to check it out for a long time. Glad I did - it was good stuff. Sorry - this post was not about football - but I'm hungry and I saw the word "Carlisle".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas