Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Friday, October 20th, 2017.
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review
Week 4 Review
Week 3 Review
Week 2 Review
Week 1 Review
Brand new #FearlessFriday LIVE Scoreboard format to debut this Friday. STAY TUNED!

Author Topic: Should the state of Arkansas get 6 or 8 man football for 1A schools?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Sweet Feet

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
I notice in some states, they have a 6 or 8 man football classification for the smaller schools who may not be able to field a full 11 man team. Some 2A schools even have to forfeit or cancel their season because of numbers like Hermitage did today. To give students in small schools the opportunity to play football, would you support Arkansas having 6 or 8 man football for the 1A and maybe some 2A schools?

Offline Lions84

• Legend
  • Clarendon Lion Football since 1909
Re: Should the state of Arkansas get 6 or 8 man football for 1A schools?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:09:26 am »
Yes we have it in Texas and it never a boring game.

Offline x14113

• Fearless Friday Historian
  • Assistant Coach
  • Desperately Seeking Pianos to Tune...
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »
Every time this gets brought up, nearly everyone who responds (myself included) will openly voice support for such an idea.

Every summer, the AAA and its member schools never think to bring it up.

Most of said schools either have established 11-man programs and wouldn't be affected, or have no thoughts on even trying to start a program.

You can count the number of potential schools that could even try to start football with one hand, and the schools in question would likely go straight to 11-man.

If you ever wanted to know the definition of "visionless"...

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Starter
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »
Does anyone know of any schools that don't currently have a program that are thinking about starting one?

Offline blueandwhite

• Bench Warmer
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:57:53 pm »
Union Christian in Fort Smith plays in the 8 man football league in Oklahoma.

And/or allow districts to combine to form a football team. Several states allow this too

Offline eabwill

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:21 pm »
Many years ago (lol) in my early radio days, I actually wrote a letter to Lamar Hall advocating for the 6-man game. It was in the early 90s where a school or two in east central AR had to call off a season due to lack of numbers. I think 6-man football would help places like an Augusta or Hermitage keep football going. You might even have a few non-football schools think about joining in. Field size*, goal posts, length of quarters, scoring, and 1st & 15 is how you start a possession are some of the 6-man rules differences that folks would have to get used to. (*--the NFHS rules say if the state association adopts it, you can use the normal 11-man field for 6-, 8-, or 9-man games.) In addition, there's a 45-point mercy rule (45 point lead or more at HT or anytime during the second half, the game is automatically over.)

Hopefully, one day, there'll be some momentum built to put it before the Governing Body, and get the 6- or 8-man game in the state.

I've added a link to the Texas/UIL site which has their state rules for 6-man football if you're interested in checking it out. http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/6_man_rules_variations_2017.pdf

Offline High Voltage

• Bench Warmer
  • Lightning Strikes and the Thunder Rolls!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:22:20 am »
The AAA is too busy making stupid rules to worry about doing something that would actually be good for the schools. The AAA in Arkansas is a joke.

Offline DEVIL DOG HOG

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:31:49 am »
Michigan has 8 man football.

Offline eabwill

• Band Nerd
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:57 pm »
I did some investigating, and here's a list of states who play 6-, 8-, and/or 9-man football:

6-man: Texas, Wyoming
8-man: Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma (+ some private schools in Alabama and Mississippi)
9-man: North Dakota, South Dakota
Both 6- and 8-man: Colorado, Kansas*, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico (*--6-man in Kansas is attempting to get re-certified by the state association.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:03:01 pm by eabwill »

Offline RamFan06

• Starter
  • FearNone
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
I believe there is still a private school 8 man league in Arkansas. That league is where Conway Christian came from.

Offline eabwill

• Band Nerd
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »
I believe there is still a private school 8 man league in Arkansas. That league is where Conway Christian came from.

RamFan06, I did see on MaxPreps that there were 3 schools listed under "AR Class 8 Man Football Standings": Arkansas Christian Academy (Bryant), Southwest Christian Academy (LR), and Ridgeway Christian (PB). Marvell Academy is the only Arkansas school plays 8-man in the MAIS (Mississippi Association of Independent Schools).

Offline RamFan06

• Starter
  • FearNone
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:34 pm »
RamFan06, I did see on MaxPreps that there were 3 schools listed under "AR Class 8 Man Football Standings": Arkansas Christian Academy (Bryant), Southwest Christian Academy (LR), and Ridgeway Christian (PB). Marvell Academy is the only Arkansas school plays 8-man in the MAIS (Mississippi Association of Independent Schools).

It used to also include Conway Chrisitan, Crossgate Christian and Christian Ministries.

Offline Eddie Goodson

• Thee Fast Eddie
  • Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • CrossettEagles.com
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:14 pm »
I personally believe that in 20 years, because of concussions, high school football may look more like 8 man football than it does 11 man football. The days of trench warfare are numbered.

Offline beach bum

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »
I personally believe that in 20 years, because of concussions, high school football may look more like 8 man football than it does 11 man football. The days of trench warfare are numbered.

I totally agree. We are already seeing as well the programs in 2A and 3A that aren't your standard powers in those classifications see plummeting numbers to the point they can barely go 2 deep in the roster to even practice 11 on 11.

Offline Sweet Feet

• Band Nerd
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:02 pm »
I did some investigating, and here's a list of states who play 6-, 8-, and/or 9-man football:

6-man: Texas, Wyoming
8-man: Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma (+ some private schools in Alabama and Mississippi)
9-man: North Dakota, South Dakota
Both 6- and 8-man: Colorado, Kansas*, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico (*--6-man in Kansas is attempting to get re-certified by the state association.)
Don't forget California. they have 8-man football

Offline CHSTigersFan

• Tigers Eat Pigs
  • Assistant Coach
  • CHS# 1 Go Tigers
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:29 am »
It would be great to see 6 man football in Arkansas for the smaller schools. I can tell you from experience seeing 6 man football in West Texas where I saw a team put up 96 points this year it is always a fun game to watch, even if your team gets mercy ruled (45 points at half or anytime after half) it is fun. Now it might not be too fun if you drive 3 hours to watch the blood letting.....but still.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas