• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mt. Home @ Jonesboro

Started by ricepig, September 19, 2017, 09:55:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Earlier in the summer there was talk of an improved MH team, did the coaching change, injuries torpedo that already? Jonesboro appears to be a little better on defense, but struggling on offense. They are still trying to get the WR's and QB's on the same page.

Safe travels to our MH fans coming to Jonesboro on Friday.

Bomber_Believer

The coaching change has had a more negative effect than anyone would have imagined.  The large portion of Mtn Home that wanted coach Maddox did not expect things to go this way.  It doesnt look like there is a large chance that things will turn around any time soon.  The injuries that have happened only amplified the problems.  Look for Jonesboro to find their offensive flow this Friday night.  MH is missing 3 of its defensive starters lost for the season.  Not sure the status of Wehmeyer after moving to TE and catching a TD pass he re-aggravated a nagging back injury against Batesville.  Going to be a long season for the Bombers.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 09:55:36 am
Earlier in the summer there was talk of an improved MH team, did the coaching change, injuries torpedo that already? Jonesboro appears to be a little better on defense, but struggling on offense. They are still trying to get the WR's and QB's on the same page.

Safe travels to our MH fans coming to Jonesboro on Friday.

I really think Jonesboro offense is better than they have shown.  We have plenty of weapons on offense and it should start showing soon.  Better to have the struggles early and peak later on in the season.  Our D has improved some but we all know that one injury two games ago was a big blow.  It is not easy to replace a good LB like we lost but they have enough tools to be a good defense in the end.
Hats off to the coaches on our last win.  They seemed to have had a plan and it worked well. 

MHFAN

Coaching change had nothing to do with team performance.  Players and parents will always use this as an excuse.  8 starters out from last years team due to injuries and grades.  Most of these went both ways.  Injuries during first week game against Harrison all knees (3 total)  and season ending.  Will be a rough game for Bombers at Jonesboro.  Give Mattox time and will be best chance for turnaround for program.  This will take more than 3 to 5 years.  Be patient and stop the blame game.  Not doing anyone any good.  Just excuses

Lumberjackfan1978

Hope they can get it turned around

MHFAN

Kids played hard against Batesville last week and just came up short at the end .  Hopefully we can see this against Jonesboro this Friday night.

Bomber_Believer

I find it funny that anyone would think it will take 3 to 5 years to "Turn Around" a program that comes in with 25 seniors.  Largest senior class Bomber football has had in probably a decade or more.  Not to mention this group of seniors broke the losing streak as sophomores and improved with 4 wins as juniors(all in 6A east play).  Injuries dont help, but face facts, the coaching change has everything to do with this.  Even Mahan won 5 games in his first season. 

MHFAN

Life lessons are part of football.  Coaching changes are no different than getting a new boss.  You can choose to make it an issue or you can choose to make it a new beginning.  Making it an excuse turns it into an issue.  Joyce chose to leave.  Mattox has wanted job for years and now gets his chance.  The parents and supporters of this program can choose which way the kids perceive this change.  If they hear us making excuses and playing the blame game things will continue as they have for the past 20 years.  The idea that a good coach should be able to turn around a desperate program in 3 to 5 years is just ludicrous.  I was not a fan of Joyce but did not criticize him in public or on this site.  He was our coach and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  With that being said, the number when Mattox took over were dismal.  At start of school it is true we had 25 seniors, 9 on which started on offense and defense.  8 of these are out now for rest of season with injuries.  According to Baxter Bulletin the combined number of sophomores and juniors totaled 19 (confirmed by Mattox).  The numbers in 9th grade were also low, by some accounts 15 (someone help me with exact number).  This does not sound like a sustainable number of players to continue a football program in the near future considering the natural attrition rate from junior high to high school.  Even though I hated to see seniors lose a coach that they respected, things either had to change or the end was within reach for program.  Mattox should be given 100% support and all the time he needs to get program back to being competitive.  These seniors are a good group of kids and deserve the support of our community but also need to learn some hard lessons about how to deal with change.  I believe they can and will come together and have some success. 

T-Bone

Quote from: MHFAN on September 21, 2017, 08:47:49 am
Life lessons are part of football.  Coaching changes are no different than getting a new boss.  You can choose to make it an issue or you can choose to make it a new beginning.  Making it an excuse turns it into an issue.  Joyce chose to leave.  Mattox has wanted job for years and now gets his chance.  The parents and supporters of this program can choose which way the kids perceive this change.  If they hear us making excuses and playing the blame game things will continue as they have for the past 20 years.  The idea that a good coach should be able to turn around a desperate program in 3 to 5 years is just ludicrous.  I was not a fan of Joyce but did not criticize him in public or on this site.  He was our coach and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  With that being said, the number when Mattox took over were dismal.  At start of school it is true we had 25 seniors, 9 on which started on offense and defense.  8 of these are out now for rest of season with injuries.  According to Baxter Bulletin the combined number of sophomores and juniors totaled 19 (confirmed by Mattox).  The numbers in 9th grade were also low, by some accounts 15 (someone help me with exact number).  This does not sound like a sustainable number of players to continue a football program in the near future considering the natural attrition rate from junior high to high school.  Even though I hated to see seniors lose a coach that they respected, things either had to change or the end was within reach for program.  Mattox should be given 100% support and all the time he needs to get program back to being competitive.  These seniors are a good group of kids and deserve the support of our community but also need to learn some hard lessons about how to deal with change.  I believe they can and will come together and have some success.

I know nothing about the changes you all are talking about.  I do know that the most important thing is the players and coach connect.  Parents and outside parties are irrelevant in the main stream.  When coaches and players connect they will start a winning program.  You can never expect a coach to change a program over night and find good results.  Again I know nothing about this program but do know any new coach needs some time.  Not sure how long but I do know they can't change things over night without good luck on their side.  Injuries are a big issue on any team and can easily change the look of a team.

MHFAN

Agree with most of that with the exception of parents not part of problem.  These are high school kids that need encouragement and respect that starts at home.  If parents are not on board with new coach and supportive the kids will follow 100% of the time.  From what I saw last week on the field things are starting to gel.  I expect a good effort against Jonesboro but think they will more than likely over power us with talent.  The 8 kids that are out were crucial to our success.  Very thin at replacements and any more injuries will see kids that are just not physically ready to play on Friday night.

ricepig

Quote from: MHFAN on September 21, 2017, 10:53:01 am
Agree with most of that with the exception of parents not part of problem.  These are high school kids that need encouragement and respect that starts at home.  If parents are not on board with new coach and supportive the kids will follow 100% of the time.  From what I saw last week on the field things are starting to gel.  I expect a good effort against Jonesboro but think they will more than likely over power us with talent.  The 8 kids that are out were crucial to our success.  Very thin at replacements and any more injuries will see kids that are just not physically ready to play on Friday night.

That's catastrophic numbers on players being out for the season, the Patriots couldn't overcome 8 starters out. Hopefully you don't suffer any more, good luck the result of the season.

ricepig

The game went about as expected, Jonesboro was not real inspired at the start, and MH is short on talent and speed. When you don't have an semblance of a passing game, even Jonesboro can stop the run enough to turn you over. Good luck to MH the rest of the year, truthfully, I see the Hall game as your only chance at a win.

Jonesboro will get Jacksonville next for HC. We've played them a few times for HC and have been fortunate to win those games. It's just something about those games that generally lead to blah type starts for Jonesboro. Jacksonville appeared to hang with Searcy the other night, I'm not sure which team that's a reflection on.

no mascot

MH's head coach is in the newspaper saying that they can't line up in the right spots or relay the correct plays from the coach onto the field.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas