Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Tuesday, October 17th, 2017.
Week 6 Review
Week 5 Review
Week 4 Review
Week 3 Review
Week 2 Review
Week 1 Review
Brand new #FearlessFriday LIVE Scoreboard format to debut this Friday. STAY TUNED!

Author Topic: Want to coach -- what do I do?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Crush14

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Want to coach -- what do I do?
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:04 am »
Hey there, first time poster. I am completing my senior year of college and want to spend some time coaching before looking at Graduate School. I went to college out of state, but am from an Arkansas high school, so I would really like to get back in the state coaching. I am young, but have good experience (assistant coach at a high school, 2 year manager for an SEC basketball program where I helped in all practices and games, excellent recommendation letters from SEC coaches). My degree is in Sport Administration with a solid GPA (3.5+). What do I need to do to hopefully find a job somewhere in Arkansas starting the 2018-2019 season? Do I need to start looking at certifications now, or can I be hired with the expectations I complete them during the year? Any help is appreciated as I am eager to get all of this started.

Offline PapaHog

• Bench Warmer
Re: Want to coach -- what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:31:39 pm »
Get it now. Add as many things to your license as possible. Like a core subject. Around March start looking on AHSAA.org for jobs. There are other job sites.

Offline Crush14

• Band Nerd
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:13 pm »
What is the license called, is there a website or something I can go and see all of the options?

Offline PapaHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:08 pm »
I'm assuming you have a degree in education. You can just take the praxis test for whatever you want to add to your license. ETS.org

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Starter
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
If you don't have a degree in education you will probably have to get a MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) in order to get certified. I'm not sure what the non-traditional route is like now. I'm working with a teacher that did not have an education degree and had to go the MAT route.

Offline Big Prof.91

• Band Nerd
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:13:59 pm »
I'm a sr at UCA going the traditional route, but I have a friend that went the non traditional route. She got her MAT at UCA and she had classes and in-field work for 1 year. After that she got a job @ NLRHS and finished the last year of classes at night. Go ahead and take the praxis exam and then try to pass a content area praxis exam. It'll make your life easier.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas