• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Peter O'Toole

Started by redwolf143, December 17, 2013, 09:53:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redwolf143

December 17, 2013, 09:53:58 am Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:58:29 am by redwolf143
Posted this in the Famous People obits thread but wanted to put it here too.

Peter O'Toole was one of the greatest actors of all time, but also one of the least fortunate;

Laurence of Arabia was unfortunate in being the same year as Peck's Mockingbird, a tight battle in my opinion as both roles were immaculately and incredibly played.  To me, Peck was given the edge because he was an established star whereas O'Toole was just at the beginnings of his career.

Split the vote with Burton in Becket and both lost to Harrison.  Harrison may have taken the contest anyway but the two men of Becket worked so very well together that they definately deserved the votes they got.

Got completely hosed with The Lion in Winter.  Much to say here; Cliff Robertson's adaption of one of my favorite stories (Flowers for Algernon) Was very very well done.  O'Toole's  Henry II in The Lion in Winter was the greatest performance of period performance of all time.  Not to mention O'Toole's recent history of puting out legendary performances in the decade, there is no way Charly should have won that award (except that it was an early instance of an actor playing a disabled character and was ground breaking).  I guess Hosed is a bit harsh but I strongly believe this instance was an error.

Ran up against Wayne's Cogburn, Brando's Godfather, Kingsley's Ghandi and Deniro's Raging Bull.  Some other great performances matching up with some of his second tier attempts, no way was Mr. Chips going to beat True Grit (not to mention Midnight Cowboy).  The Godfather was leaps and bounds better than The Ruling Class.  Kingsley's Ghandy was epic and O'Toole was out of his norm in My Favorite Year.  Raging Bull was amazing and wasn't really the lead in  Stuntman. 

Lost his last ditch effort to Whitaker's Last King.

Law of averages would have him winning at least one of those but instead he goes down as the greatest actor never to win an Oscar (stupid Honorary Awards don't count and are an insult to his greatness). Heck, even his voice role in Ratatouille was better than most of the garbage pumped out nowadays.

Now I'm going to go find a copy of Becket, Lion and Lawrence to watch this Christmas break.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: redwolf143 on December 17, 2013, 09:53:58 am
no way was Mr. Chips going to beat True Grit

Even though John Wayne likely was awarded that Oscar because he was due.  True Grit was nowhere near his best performance.  Instead of Rooster Cogburn, John Wayne played John Wayne in that movie.

redwolf143

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 18, 2013, 06:08:40 am
Quote from: redwolf143 on December 17, 2013, 09:53:58 am
no way was Mr. Chips going to beat True Grit

Even though John Wayne likely was awarded that Oscar because he was due.  True Grit was nowhere near his best performance.  Instead of Rooster Cogburn, John Wayne played John Wayne in that movie.

Oh I agree, but Mr. Chips was one of O'Toole's worst roles.

True Believer

And I loved that movie. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas