• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville's Tiger Stadium (and the GAC) may host the 2014-18 NCAA DII championship

Started by OPoraquê, October 30, 2013, 08:03:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Lionheart88

Seems like an odd choice, since it's nowhere near any GAC schools.  If they're going to host in an off-campus facility, why not go for WMS?

Busman

WMS is too large. You get Grand Valley State playing a Clifornia School and the 3,000 folks there are dwarfed by 53,000 empty seats. Florence's stadium holds about 12,000 and has never been full, even when UNA played there.

NWA airport is very adequate. Great tourist area. I would say the Florida Site would be the biggest competition. Surprised Frisco, TX didn't make it as a finalist.

x14113

Quote from: Busman on October 30, 2013, 09:29:36 pm
I would say the Florida Site would be the biggest competition. Surprised Frisco, TX didn't make it as a finalist.

Uhh, FL's not among the three finalists listed...

I notice KC is in the running (not Arrowhead, but KS's Sporting Park, home of the local MLS team).

The Shoals still show interest, despite UNA ditching DII after the season.  I wonder if that will be held against them...

Frisco not a finalist? You'll need to show me the venue in question.  You've piqued my curiosity.

A stadium that would A) better fit the usual title game crowds, B) be in a central location relative to the landscape, and C) can be easily accessed by freeway would be most ideal for the DII title game.  Carpenter-Haygood (HSU) would be my personal pick, although it's still showing some age.

That said, Tiger Stadium would be quite the consideration.  Not very close to the GAC footprint, but smack in the middle of D2 territory; MO Southern and especially Pittsburg are a stone's throw from there. Also, accessibility by freeway will only strengthen as I-49 gradually emerges into existence.  Capacity issues (smaller than Tech's Buerkle Field) are my only concern about the bid.

Still a better one than the other two overall IMO, though.

3sportkid

Bentonville already hosts GAC tennis and softball championships and does fit the conference pretty well as split between OK and AR....only better option to me would be Ft Smith

Lionheart88

Quote from: x14113 on October 30, 2013, 09:56:47 pm
Quote from: Busman on October 30, 2013, 09:29:36 pm
I would say the Florida Site would be the biggest competition. Surprised Frisco, TX didn't make it as a finalist.

Uhh, FL's not among the three finalists listed...

I notice KC is in the running (not Arrowhead, but KS's Sporting Park, home of the local MLS team).

The Shoals still show interest, despite UNA ditching DII after the season.  I wonder if that will be held against them...

Frisco not a finalist? You'll need to show me the venue in question.  You've piqued my curiosity.

A stadium that would A) better fit the usual title game crowds, B) be in a central location relative to the landscape, and C) can be easily accessed by freeway would be most ideal for the DII title game.  Carpenter-Haygood (HSU) would be my personal pick, although it's still showing some age.

That said, Tiger Stadium would be quite the consideration.  Not very close to the GAC footprint, but smack in the middle of D2 territory; MO Southern and especially Pittsburg are a stone's throw from there. Also, accessibility by freeway will only strengthen as I-49 gradually emerges into existence.  Capacity issues (smaller than Tech's Buerkle Field) are my only concern about the bid.

Still a better one than the other two overall IMO, though.

Frisco hosts the FCS Championship in FC Dallas's home, Toyota Stadium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Dallas_Stadium

Don't know if they'd want to add D-II as well.  Good call on WMS being too big, I didn't think about how few fans might travel across the country even for a game this big.

Valleysports

Quote from: x14113 on October 30, 2013, 09:56:47 pmCapacity issues (smaller than Tech's Buerkle Field) are my only concern about the bid.

TECH needs to build the visitors side of Thone Stadium, to match the home side, and start hosting things like this, playoff high school games etc...  What is capacity seating at TECH? 

Lionheart88

Wikipedia's article on the GAC says 6500.  Henderson's Carpenter-Haygood stadium wouldn't be a bad place for it, wih a capacity approaching 10000, artificial turf, easily accessed location, etc etc.

Valleysports

So what is an average crowd at an NCAA II National Championship?
I can see Bentonville being a good site though, for the cultural experience and all, especially the visitors locker room.

BigR

Bentonville will increase capacity as needed. Lots of money & support in that area.

No airport, not enough hotels, etc... for Arkadelphia. Not to mention they would have to build a much larger press box.

Russellville falls under same issues except for press box.

pathos

Quote from: Valleysports on October 31, 2013, 01:19:42 am

Here's the last three:

2010 -- Delta State (MS) vs. Minnesota Duluth -- 4,027
2011 -- Wayne State (MI) vs. Pittsburg State (KS) -- 7,276
2012 -- Winston-Salem (NC) vs. Valdosta State (GA) -- 7,527

Valleysports

Quote from: BigR on October 31, 2013, 08:13:19 am
Bentonville will increase capacity as needed. Lots of money & support in that area.

No airport, not enough hotels, etc... for Arkadelphia. Not to mention they would have to build a much larger press box.

What you talking about BigR?  Russellville has an awesome airport and NEW, I fly in and out of there all the time.  There are always 2 or 3 cooperate jets flying in and out.  Also more than enough Hotels - several new ones.  A couple of years ago, TECH hosted NCAA II Basketball Playoffs, Boys & Girls at the same time.  Hosting both had never been done before, but TECH convinced the Tournament Officials that Russellville could handle it.  The economic downturn stopped/delayed a major convention center from being built on I-40.  Nuclear One money can compete.  TECH Boosters have dropped 12 million into the Football Facilities, alone, over the last 10 yrs.     

x14113

Quote from: Valleysports on October 31, 2013, 01:19:42 am

Since the Shoals first hosted the title game in 1986, attendance has averaged roughly 8200.

Since UNA's last of three straight appearances in 1995 (avg. attendance just under 14,800), it has averaged roughly 6800.

The high in the above span is 9783 in 2002, while the low is 3352 in 1997.  The all-time high is 15,631 in 1993, the first of UNA's three straight appearances.

Lionheart88

Quote from: BigR on October 31, 2013, 08:13:19 am

I can't see hotels being an issue.  There's plenty of hotel space in the general area, if not in Arkadelphia itself.  I'll take your word for it on the pressbox.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas