• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Butler

Started by Hoghead, August 23, 2013, 01:17:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoghead

A real good movie. Forrest Whitiker will possibly win a few acting awards for this true story. Calvin the Butler was a very humble man in a time of turmoil. He served 8 Presidents. Ike, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan. Im sure he has some stories. Excellent movie !

AirWarren

Probably wont see it. Can't stand Oprah.

However, Whitaker is a heck of an actor.

Hoghead

Quote from: AirWarren on August 23, 2013, 08:22:40 am
Probably wont see it. Can't stand Oprah.

However, Whitaker is a heck of an actor.
The movie isn't about Oprah....LOL ! Great Movie though !  You can't seperate your dislike for her even if she's acting a part ? What's disgust with her ? She's a American sucess story. enlighten me with your disgust for her ?

AirWarren

She's a scam. Money hungry scam.

Hoghead

Quote from: AirWarren on August 23, 2013, 09:00:59 am
How ? You're not proving your point here. This is America, Captalisim is one of our greatest assets. When you say Scam, then you're implying she's slicking someone out of their money ? She's a college educated woman from dirt poor Mississippi who started off as a News Anchor. Explaine why she's a Scam Artisit ?

redwolf143

Depicts the Reagans as racist pigs... nope.  Not with a ten foot pole.

Hoghead

Quote from: redwolf143 on August 23, 2013, 11:57:55 am
Blatant lie.....It did not. YOU are making a comment on something you  didn't see or hear. But believe in this if it calms you.

PressBox-81

Hoghead search for comments made by his son Michael how upset he was with the way the movie depicted his father.  I read it in the paper this morning but have not searched for it online yet.

Hoghead

August 23, 2013, 02:09:34 pm #8 Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:11:49 pm by Hoghead

If Reagan had been depicted as a racist in the movie. A few things should dispell that. One is Reagan was the President who removed the common wrong practice of paying the Black Wait Staff 40% less than the White Wait Staff . 7 other Presidents passed on righting this wrong. The Reagan's even invited THE BUTLER to a State. Dinner as a guest and not a worker to show their gratitude. Racist ? No... Now Reagan's decision on South Africa was wrong. That's where the controversy of him being a racist might stem. from. But he stood his ground on his decision .....

Valleysports

HOGHEAD!  ;D  Ain't got much going on today?

redwolf143

Quote from: Hoghead on August 23, 2013, 01:12:35 pm
Quote from: redwolf143 on August 23, 2013, 11:57:55 am
Blatant lie.....It did not. YOU are making a comment on something you  didn't see or hear. But believe in this if it calms you.

Just going by what the critics, apparently his son and Reagan's official biographer are saying.  If the last two feel that way there must be something to it.  Either way it's repetition of observation and you are overreacting.

Hoghead

I think you just went with the fuzzy and ignored the good side of Reagan portrayed in the movie. It was. a good. movie. To each his own.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoghead on August 23, 2013, 09:07:39 am
Quote from: AirWarren on August 23, 2013, 09:00:59 am
How ? You're not proving your point here. This is America, Captalisim is one of our greatest assets. When you say Scam, then you're implying she's slicking someone out of their money ? She's a college educated woman from dirt poor Mississippi who started off as a News Anchor. Explaine why she's a Scam Artisit ?

I think she sucks and she is a scam. I just refuse to support her.
And not that I am learning that RR was depicted falsly, I sure as crap won't be watching it.

Hoghead

I once again ask you what makes her a scam ? Its far fetched to dislike someone for nothing as you are doing . she pumps millions into charity. Forget the movie you have the right to dislike without seeing it. If you believe the critics who denounce it, So be it.  Its the number 1 movie in America by the way. But to call one a Scam without proof is a scam... Its ok to not like her. But to falsely to accuse someone injures your own character. She's everything a true American Capitalist would want to be and Oprah Winfrey is truly that.

AirWarren

Please, I'm sure Alex Rodriguez pumped millions into charity and you see what a fine display of morality he has shown.

I just don't like Oprah, Dr Phil, or That doctor dude. Scams.

Hoghead

Wow...skipped the scam question for the 3rd time. But used the I just don't like her answer. That's some pint up dislike. Dr. Phil is scam ? WHY ? I don't know...I just don't like him. Makes about much sense as Alex Rodriguez swinging a football bat ! LOL...Wow !

AirWarren

August 24, 2013, 06:03:19 am #17 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:05:14 am by AirWarren
I think Oprah is...
1 arrogant
2 fake
3 elitist
4 a closet racist

And I think she is a scam. She uses the weak mind to make money off of them.

Why can't we just leave this as I DON'T LIKE OPRAH. Haha.

Hoghead

AirWarren

I'll probably catch the Butler when it comes on TV.

CathywithaC

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2013, 02:19:10 am
Please, I'm sure Alex Rodriguez pumped millions into charity and you see what a fine display of morality he has shown.

I just don't like Oprah, Dr Phil, or That doctor dude. Scams.
They are all three Pied Pipers, leading those who can't think for themselves.  They latch onto whoever they choose and accept everything they say as the gospel.  I have a friend that gets every disease that Dr Oz talks about.  Lots of mindless drivel on tv that millions buy into!  That being said, I thought she did a good job in the movie.

Hoghead

Still the number one movie in America for the 2nd week in a row. It made 17 million this weekend.

Ridge Rat

When I was a kid there was a mini-series or a tv movie that told the story of the White House staff. Don't remember much except that I really enjoyed it, course this woulda been in the late 70's or early 80's. It was the first time I'd heard some Puerto Ricans tried to assassinate Truman.

Uncle Ivan

Look at who wrote the movie: Danny Strong.

A hard-left water-carrier with a history of making things up out of thin air.

bleudog

bleudog

Quote from: Ridge Rat on August 26, 2013, 07:51:29 am
When I was a kid there was a mini-series or a tv movie that told the story of the White House staff. Don't remember much except that I really enjoyed it, course this woulda been in the late 70's or early 80's. It was the first time I'd heard some Puerto Ricans tried to assassinate Truman.

Maybe this one:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078565/

Ridge Rat

That's gotta be it. How the devil do you find this stuff? Lol

Romeo

I watched the movie today and I thought it was a real good film. I wanted to watch the Reagan depiction before I gave an opinion myself. Personally, I don't understand the criticism or the uproar over Reagan's scene. His portrayal was mostly positive other than the scene regarding South Africa. They showed a scene where he privately sent money to people who sent letters to the White House about their financial struggles. They also noted where he authorized all the black butlers and maids to have equal pay when they previously made 40% less than white butlers. As far as the South Africa scene, it basically shows him telling staff that he'll veto any sanctions imposed by the Senate on South Africa. Regan's character doesn't specifically say why. Historically, that's accurate: http://www.nytimes.com/1986/10/03/politics/03REAG.html

Hoghead

Quote from: Romeo on September 01, 2013, 10:20:23 pm
I watched the movie today and I thought it was a real good film. I wanted to watch the Reagan depiction before I gave an opinion myself. Personally, I don't understand the criticism or the uproar over Reagan's scene. His portrayal was mostly positive other than the scene regarding South Africa. They showed a scene where he privately sent money to people who sent letters to the White House about their financial struggles. They also noted where he authorized all the black butlers and maids to have equal pay when they previously made 40% less than white butlers. As far as the South Africa scene, it basically shows him telling staff that he'll veto any sanctions imposed by the Senate on South Africa. Regan's character doesn't specifically say why. Historically, that's accurate: http://www.nytimes.com/1986/10/03/politics/03REAG.html
I told AW and the rest that's how it went down. BUT being a....you know..ahh...BUTLER they didn't consider my voice to have any leverage on what they wanted to hear. They wanted Regan painted as a racist in the movie so it would give them the satisfaction of going against the facts.  They, well AW was also upset that billionaire racist Oprah Winfrey was in the movie. He explained how she was a scam artisit to him. The movie however was decent. Reminded me of my Orval Fabus school days as a kid in Arkansas. Okay Orval Fabus really isn't a real guy......I just made him up !!!

AirWarren

Oprah still sucks. Won't change my opinion. I don't like "talk show hosts". Scams. Along with "Dr" Phil and that idiot oz.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on September 02, 2013, 09:42:02 am
Along with "Dr" Phil and that idiot oz.

Oz, is, however, a real doctor.  Unlike Phil.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas