• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Started by sixthman, June 16, 2013, 02:51:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sixthman

Any other old trekies out there who love this spin on the old series and movies. The last thirty minutes of this one almost put me into trekie overload.

The new cast does an excellent job playing their respective parts. I thought this movie was a great ride and I look forward to more.

sevenof400

So now that enough time has passed, let's discuss this movie in a bit of detail.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!
Okay, now with that disclaimer out of the way.....
I can't tell you how disappointed I was with this movie as a result of the complete lack of ingenuity ST:ID has as compared to the previous version (The Remake of Star Trek).  Abrams has completely lost the plot if all he is going to do is take the same story elements/lines and just flip some outcomes and roles. 

What is most frustrating is the remake of Star Trek displayed some outstanding work by Abrams in taking story lines in completely different paths than they had originally unfolded and exploring those outcomes.  The remake of Star Trek set a very high bar - one that ST:ID completely scratched on. 

sixthman

I actually loved bringing Khan in, as well as the role reversal of Kirk and Spock at the end. I see this new set of movies trending toward story lines trekies know with interesting, (to me, anyway), twists along the way.

sevenof400

Sixthman,

I am curious to know what you thought of the reboot of Star Trek....

sixthman

If you are referring to the first of these new movies, I would say I was pleasantly surprised. I watched it with the fear that the characters would be fundamentally different, but everyone played their respective character in the spirit of the original show. I found the concept of the black hole changing the course of the future interesting. It allows the movie to revisit former plots with different outcomes, or, in the case of the second movie, reversed roles with similar outcomes. I am fine with either one. As a trekie, it gives me a chance to relive the old show and movies with enough difference to make it interesting.

I liked both of the new movies and look forward to more.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas