• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Man of Steel

Started by bdubyab60, June 13, 2013, 05:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Any one going to go catch the reboot. My son showed me a review on youtube and its supposed to be pretty good. Lots of buildings getting knocked over supposedly.

i think me  and my son will go check it out for fathers day.

AirWarren

Going tonight to see.

bdubyab60

Saw it tonight. Thought it was pretty good. A little jumpy in spots. But superman finally throws down. Don't think there was a building standing after the fight scenes

AirWarren

Great movie. Very impressed.

bdubyab60

To me this one is the best of the superman movies. He doesn't just run around stopping disasters. You finally get to see him matched up against villains with the same strength

AirWarren

They did a great job with the superman back story and it flowed well with the entire movie. Lots of action and even some romance for the wife. Also very clean movie besides some minor cursing. Ready for the next!

sevenof400

Hmmmm.  Time for a vote on the negative side.  I'll write more later but this current trend of remakes needs to stop.

bdubyab60

Sorry seven but this is the best superman movie by a long shot. Best movie of all time no. But still a Solid movie. I'm not big on remakes especially remakes of remakes. But that superman returns was a joke.

As I said its about time we saw superman fight something besides kryptonite. Sure there were a few things wrong with it but every movie has those. I'm gonna go catch this one again. Had really bad seats this time. Hoping for better seats this time

AT

I thought it was great in many aspects and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm curious to see what seven didn't like, because there were certain things I didn't like about it.

They set up a great basis for a series of movies, though.

AirWarren

This was probably the best superman ever. Including the Reeves movies.

sevenof400

It's hard to pinpoint any one aspect that makes Man of Steel a disappointment for me - it seems that several little things combined to make this disappointment.  Presented in no particular order, here are some observations but first, lets consider the Hollywood trend of remaking movies....

• It is NOT fair to single out MOS for being a remake (reboot) and dislike it simply for that reason alone, but as we've talked about elsewhere in this forum, Hollywood has had few original ideas as of late and seems content to put new effects to an old movie. But if we are going to have remakes(reboots), the remake of Star Trek set a very high bar for achievement - one that Star Trek:Into Darkness falls horribly short of...
  • What the remake of Star Trek get very right was to (re)introduce a story with far different outcomes than the original story - a nice exercise of quantum mechanics/parallel universes if you will.  By taking this approach, the possibilities were endless for any sequel to the remake of Star Trek.  Instead, J.J. Abrams did a horrible job with Star Trek:Into Darkness as he seemed compelled to follow established story lines from the first batch of Star Trek movies.

So how does that effect MOS?
If you are going to reboot a series, simply telling the same story (even with better special effects) just doesn't cut it - and that is where I found MOS lacking.  Let's get to some specifics in the movie...

*******   SPOILER ALERT(S)   ******

• The story itself offers no departure from the old and worn out line of aliens-come-to-earth-heck-bent-to-take-over-and-end-the-human-race.  Now MOS is certainly not the first movie to use this idea but others have done it better (see Independence Day - which admittedly is a remake as well but has an aura of plausibility about it). 
  • Why are Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe in this movie - simply because Glenn Ford and Marlon Brando were in the '78 version?  Costner seems wasted in this role and his demise just doesn't fit in this movie.  Glenn Ford's demise as Jonathan Kent helped develop the story line more so than Kevin Costner's. Crowe sounded (and acted) more like a narrator than a character and I think the repeated explanations at the beginning of the movie detract from the story.  As with any movie like this, you have to weave some explanations into the story but I wish the story writers would have found more ingenious ways to accomplish this and then Crowe might have been better in his role.
  • It hurts to see Laurence Fishburne as Perry White - sort of like fingers down the chalkboard type of hurt.  On a more serious note, I wish the casting for this movie had utilized less known actors.
  • For a woman approaching 50, Diane Lane is still smoking' hot.
  • Considering the opening third (or so) of the movie makes the effort to portray such an advanced Krypton, it is interesting that all of the Krypton refugees have nothing more advanced than a beat the heck out of each other approach to personal warfare when they get to Earth.
  • If more MOS movies are forthcoming, I think the villains are going to have to be more interesting.  One weakness of the original Superman movie and MOS is Zod is just not that compelling of a villain.  I do hope the writers learn a lesson from ST:Into Darkness and chose not to simply revisit old enemies using the same story lines.  With as many Superman comics as were written, hopefully the writers can find a villain not previously used in the movies and develop a story from that source material. 

bdubyab60

I dont dig as deep in to the movies as you seven.

However i think Costners demise fit well. As it showed that he was willing ot sacrifice himself to keep his son from being an outcast anymore than he already was.

Crowe is basically playing a hologram for most of the movie and I liked the explanations of why things were the way the were.

Zod may not have been the perfect villan. But I think he fit for this movie. As I said before it was good to see Superman fight someone with the same powers instead of just running around putting out fires ot Lex Luther throwing kryptonite on him. Im hoping for an even tougher opponent next time.

Action in the movie is great. Seeing guys getting thrown through buildings is right up my alley.

What I didnt like as with many movies these days.

MOS goes in the the ship and comes out shaved. Take 10 seconds and show how he shaved.

When he turns himself over to Zod lets see some kind of set up to the meeting.

How did MOS know the ship was in the ice and start working for the company who found it.

Little holes in plots bug me like this. Spend a few more minutes of film and editing and clean these things up.

SportsFan23

June 28, 2013, 05:02:32 pm #12 Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:56:42 pm by SportsFan23
I enjoyed MOS but it was not the Superman I grew up with, I did not like in this or the 78 version how they departed from the original story form the comics. Jon Kent does not die before Clark becomes Superman, and as in this version Lois does not know Clark is Superman from the start in the original story line.
The movie is well done and it is a kind of Superman, but not the Superman I grew up with. He would not steal clothes from someones car.
I don't want to trash the film I just still believe Superman stands for Truth, Justice and the American way. But hey Hollywood don't believe in any of that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas