• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Undefeated

Started by True Believer, January 27, 2013, 02:42:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

If you get a chance to see this documentary, please watch it.  I have a couple of links but it's about the Memphis Manasas Tigers.  They have lost for years.  It's, as the links will tell you, about their struggles.  About the lives of the players and about how one coach, Coach Bill Courtney, taught these players about character and about how to become better people. 

It's 2011 Oscar winning documentary.  It may already be posted on FF somewhere.  I hope all coaches watch this. 

Memphis is tough.  A tough place to live if you live in the inner city.  So many have no example. 

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/qa/undefeated-documentary-coach-bill-courtney-6655768?src=soc_fcbks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undefeated_(2011_film)

Character will be revealed.

justthrowtheball

The coach left his job at Memphis to take a position at a charter school. He went 1-9 and they cut him.

True Believer

Character will be revealed.

Romeo

Just watched it on netflix yesterday. I have to admit, I got a bit misty eyed after they lost that playoff game and the coach was talking to those two players privately. Its an excellent documentary. It really showed how hard it is for kids to stay on a straight path in those kind of areas.

whippersnapper

I bought it the day it came out on DVD. You have to give the coach a lot of credit for the job he and his staff had done. I wonder how the team is doing now.

SportsFan23

I watched Undefeated about a week ago. I felt for the players dealing with all they go through, I know Memphis very well. I have spent the majority of my life in that city, the fact is most of the inner city kids there have no ideal there is anything outside of the small circle they live in. It is a very good film. I would think that after six years the coach had to change, he was probably spent emotionally.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas