• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Legend of Boggey Creek

Started by Valleysports, October 16, 2012, 05:09:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

October 16, 2012, 05:09:16 am Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:26:45 pm by Valleysports
This true documentary has haunted me since I was a child.  I'd walk to town when I was a kid, hang out at the theater all day, then walk home in the dark.  I ran home at a pretty fast and quite pace the night I saw this.  Ironically 40 yrs later, my favorite place is in the swamp, where I spend every day off - building blinds, clearing brush, hunting ducks & other critters.  One evening, last week, my son & I worked till dusk at which point he became nervous and insisted we leave.  On our walk out, while Hoot Owls, Frogs, Fleeing Deer, provided the perfect backdrop - I told him about the Legend of Boggey Creek.

On an upcoming dreary night, grab yourself a cup of hot chocolate, sit down by a fire, and clik on this -

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on October 16, 2012, 05:09:16 am
This true documentary has haunted me since I was a child.  I'd walk to town when I was a kid, hang out at the theater all day, then walk home in the dark.  I ran home at a pretty fast and quite pace the night I saw this.  Ironically 40 yrs later, my favorite place is in the swamp, where I spend every day off - building blinds, clearing brush, hunting ducks & other critters.  One evening, last week, my son & I worked till dusk at which point he became nervous and insisted we leave.  On our walk out, while Hoot Owls, Frogs, Fleeing Deer, provided the perfect background - I told him about the Legend of Boggey Creek.

On an upcoming dreary night, grab yourself a cup of hot chocolate, sit down by a fire, and clik on this -

My parents actually have the Legend of Boggey Creek, and The Return to Boggey Creek on VHS...I've never watched them though..

Valleysports

October 16, 2012, 05:25:43 pm #2 Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:42:30 pm by Valleysports
I don't understand how Arkansas History can be taught without watching one of the most significant documentaries in Arkansas History.  ::)

Perhaps we could do a little bartering.  I'd like to show it to the entire family on family night (kids, sister, nieces, nephews).  That would be fun - leave the shades up in the living room - 500 acres of dark woods and sometimes a passing Cougar following Bakers Creek, through my backyard.

Hoghead

The Sulphur River and Bogey Creek area around Fouke are spooky.  Strange stuff happens in those bottoms

Texarkana_Piggie

January 25, 2013, 08:27:52 am #4 Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:29:49 am by Texarkana_Piggie
supposedly the crabtrees invented the monster to keep people away from their bootlegging operation.  watch the town that dreaded sundown sometime.  it is about the phantom killer in texarkana in the 40s.  they never caught him.  there are a lot of theories around still today but no one knows for sure who it was.

Hoghead

Fouke is the darkest place I've ever watched a football game.  Where does that road on the side of the stadium take you?  I thought about the Boggy Creek monster the whole time I was there. Those. Miller. County bottoms are just spooky.  Then throw in Tony Alamo and you have a Quinton Tarantino movie waiting.to happen in Fouke!!!!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hoghead on January 25, 2013, 10:17:34 am
Fouke is the darkest place I've ever watched a football game.  Where does that road on the side of the stadium take you?  I thought about the Boggy Creek monster the whole time I was there. Those. Miller. County bottoms are just spooky.  Then throw in Tony Alamo and you have a Quinton Tarantino movie waiting.to happen in Fouke!!!!
lolololol...

Texarkana_Piggie

now that 549 is open, i don't have to drive through main street fouke anymore to get to shreveport.
funny...when i typed "fouke" autocorrect keeps changing it to 'fluke'

Hoghead

Fouke is a strange place. I don't take HWY 71 as well ! That place aint big on the brothers you know. LOL ! I've stopped there and got gas with no problems, as well as atteneded games there without incident. But...the place looks like a Stephen King Movie set. It's like somebody is standing behind a tree watching you ! Then there's the Tony Alamo Church factor, WOW !  Got my gas....Texarkana here I come !

Valleysports

I spend a lot of time, in my one man canoe, down in a huge Cypress Slough.  I slip up on all types of critters.  A few days ago, after harvesting a Beaver, it got dark on me.  Lots of spooky sounds out there, tree limbs falling, Beavers slapping tail, Hoot Owls screeching.  I thought about Travis Crabtree and the Boggie Creek.  I'm not going to run or shoot at him though, I'm planning on making him the friend Zebra says I don't have.

Hoghead if you think that's scary, go to Pine Bluff.

Hoghead

Quote from: Valleysports on January 25, 2013, 02:10:07 pm
I spend a lot of time, in my one man canoe, down in a huge Cypress Slough.  I slip up on all types of critters.  A few days ago, after harvesting a Beaver, it got dark on me.  Lots of spooky sounds out there, tree limbs falling, Beavers slapping tail, Hoot Owls screeching.  I thought about Travis Crabtree and the Boggie Creek.  I'm not going to run or shoot at him though, I'm planning on making him the friend Zebra says I don't have.

Hoghead if you think that's scary, go to Pine Bluff.
I used drop people off at the Diagnostic in Pine Bluff twice a week.  Nothing in Pine Bluff scares me. You go to CUMMINS for a week, then Holla at me. Fouke is still a strange town!

AirWarren

Fouke boys thought it would be cute to call the Warren boys names in 2002. The beating that ensued that night made them wish they ran into the legend of boggy creek instead!

AirWarren

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas