• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAC Preseason Coaches Poll

Started by RamFan06, August 14, 2012, 05:24:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RamFan06

1. Henderson
T2. OBU
T2. East Central
4. Harding
5. Arkansas Tech
T6. UAM
T6. Southeast OK State
T6. SAU
T6. Southwest OK State

So does tied for 6 mean, we dont know which of you will be worse, so we will just lump you all together.

Wahls

They do the voting based on points, so apparently they all tied on points.

ECU is pretty solid and I think they'll be Henderson's biggest competition this year.

RamFan06

August 14, 2012, 05:34:41 pm #2 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:45:30 pm by RamFan06
Quote from: Wahls on August 14, 2012, 05:30:20 pm
They do the voting based on points, so apparently they all tied on points.

ECU is pretty solid and I think they'll be Henderson's biggest competition this year.

I was just making a slightly sarcastic commentary on the level of play at one of those schools in particular. I actually went to a game at ECU last year, they are BIG and play hard nosed football. They are going to be hard to beat.

jdragsd

If Harding can reduce the turnovers from last year (+11 in their 4 wins; -16 in their 7 loses) they'll be tough to beat. 

Defense should be solid again. 

Offensively, it'll be tough to put up the rushing numbers they did last year, and the passing game can only get better.   

Plus they have Henderson and ECU at home. 

Big Fan

UAM will be much better than last year.  More experience and a ton more depth than last year. 

Plus, this will be the first year since 2005 that the coaching staff returns intact from the previous year.  Hard to build a program when you are constantly hiring coaches.  Coach Jackson has righted the ship.

Valleysports

Tech will be a lot better as well, this year, if they score more points than their opponents!

LJ06

Quote from: Big Fan on August 15, 2012, 12:48:44 pm
UAM will be much better than last year.  More experience and a ton more depth than last year. 

Plus, this will be the first year since 2005 that the coaching staff returns intact from the previous year.  Hard to build a program when you are constantly hiring coaches.  Coach Jackson has righted the ship.

I honestly think UAM is ranked a little low in that poll.  They should def be better than last season.  They surprised quite a few last year so I guess they'll have to do it again.

Valleysports

September 05, 2012, 01:24:08 pm #7 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:28:14 am by Valleysports
What kind of schedule did UAM play last year.  Tech's schedule was ranked number 1 in DII football, around week 8 or 9 last year, only playing a few GAC Teams.  Just wondering about the rest of the teams.

Big Fan

Quote from: Valleysports on September 05, 2012, 01:24:08 pm
What kind of schedule did UAM play last year.  Tech's schedule was ranked the hardest in DII football last year, only playing a few GAC Teams.  Just wondering about the rest of the teams.
Here's the 2011 schedule.  Valdosta was the #4 team in the nation at the time UAM beat them.

http://www.uamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=14

Valleysports

September 06, 2012, 09:49:04 am #9 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:39:55 pm by Valleysports
Lot of the same - Tech had #10 Delta State, West Alabama, #1 North Alabama, and we sure didn't need that.  ::)  I think we'll go .500, as the Freshmen & Sophomores gain experience.  Could be in some high scoring games, if they can convert from the red zone.  Look forward to hosting UAM Oct 20...

Update:
I'm losing confidence fast in anything short term - just going to have to be patient....

jdragsd

OK, everybody has at least one game under their belts.  What can we tell after two weeks?

Can we tell anything about Henderson or OBU after their first two games?  Are they that good or are the teams they've played the first two weeks that bad?

What about Harding dominating UNA?  I'm a Harding fan and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily they handled the lions.

Is UAM going to be competitive after their showing against an FCS opponent? 

And SAU beating what I suspect was a weak Texas College team.  Anything that can be taken from that game or do they need to show something against a stronger opponent?

Whats up with Tech?  Not sure how good the Missouri S&T was, but I was surprised they didn't handle Bacone any better than what they did.

And then the Oklahoma schools, anybody got any thoughts on them?

It's still early and everybody still has alot to work on, but looks like it could be an exciting year!

OPoraquê

OBU's opponent last night at least had one prior win (over Central State of Ohio, which got blown out 59-0 by much larger Northern Iowa yesterday).  Their win last week lost yesterday but in a much more competitive game than vs. OBU.  Since the Tigers have lost their projected starting QB/returning conference OPOY I'm still tempted to take them with a grain of salt, but it's hard to sneeze at beating two opponents (one on the road) by an average of 43-2.  I doubt seriously that will hold vs. the rest of the schedule, though.  Hopefully they can stay competitive.

OPoraquê

Here's a wild one: Ouachita Baptist is ranked #15 in NCAA D II right now, and probably will be around that for at least one more week as they're off this weekend.  However, according to this document, the team that played OBU's first week opponent is now ranked #3 in the nation, and the score was a bit closer though there was a solid win.

That appears to be D II football.  I expect a wild ride ahead, as you said, and anything can happen in this league.  Would love to see HU, ECU and HSU in that poll to make four GAC teams in the top 25.

MHSGrad

With sau being 4-0, are they just hot or legit?

OPoraquê

Right now you've got four undefeated teams in the GAC, all from Arkansas.

This possibly will be fun...

RamFan06

October 01, 2012, 01:40:32 pm #16 Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:42:40 pm by RamFan06
Quote from: MHSGrad on September 30, 2012, 10:46:45 am
With sau being 4-0, are they just hot or legit?

Hate to be this way but I wont believe they are legit until they beat somebody. The four teams they have beaten this year have a combined 2 wins.....one of them being the NAIA team. So, they have beaten four teams who have combined to beat 1 division 2 team in the last 4 weeks. I am sure this team has gotten better since last year, you have to with players like Mark Johnson returning, but they still have the same coaching staff doing the same tired old thing. The dream ends for SAU this week against Harding. It is time to come back to reality.

Actually, after posting this I looked at the results of UAM, they beat another NAIA team also. That makes it more glaring. The teams they have beaten have combined to defeat 0 division 2 opponents so far this year.

pathos

Quote from: RamFan06 on October 01, 2012, 01:40:32 pm
The teams they have beaten have combined to defeat 0 division 2 opponents so far this year.

Southwestern Oklahoma State beat East Central.

Henderson's opponents aren't exactly the cream of the crop, though they have been impressive wins. OBU has a bit better resume.

Harding, by far, has the best, imo.

jdragsd

Quote from: pathos on October 01, 2012, 05:31:08 pm
The teams they have beaten have combined to defeat 0 division 2 opponents so far this year.

Henderson's opponents aren't exactly the cream of the crop, though they have been impressive wins. OBU has a bit better resume.

I've seen Harding play this year.  They're legit.  Defense is tops in DII and who would want to face that option offense with only one week to prepare.  I still believe the key to Harding continuing to win is they have to hang on to the ball.  Last week against ECU, they put the ball on the ground several times in the 1st half (one returned for a TD) and were down by 7 at half.  2nd half was all HU though.

Next three weeks, Harding plays SAU (@ El Dorado), HSU & @ OBU. 

We'll see.......

RamFan06

Quote from: pathos on October 01, 2012, 05:31:08 pm

Sorry, missed that one. Still, one win against a DII opponent isn't a great strength of schedule.

Wahls

I doubt, and I mean really doubt, that OBU beats Henderson having watched both teams this season.

OPoraquê

Quote from: Wahls on October 01, 2012, 11:35:08 pm
I doubt, and I mean really doubt, that OBU beats Henderson having watched both teams this season.

Depends on whether OBU is suiting up the tuba player at QB.

Playing their third-string QB plus several d guys who'd been injured at SESU's place, they still kept their defense in the nation's top 5 while holding SESU to a couple hundred yards less than they ran up against HSU.

Wahls

Quote from: OPoraquê on October 02, 2012, 04:54:12 pm
Playing their third-string QB plus several d guys who'd been injured at SESU's place, they still kept their defense in the nation's top 5 while holding SESU to a couple hundred yards less than they ran up against HSU.

HSU's pace they play at gives the other team the ball every 5 seconds. So that's not surprising.

Like I said, I really doubt OBU beats HSU.

Valleysports

OBU beat TECH, Henderson thrashed TECH.  IMO Henderson will run over OBU like a freight train.  Just the way I, and everyone who's seen both teams play, look at it.  ;D

OPoraquê

Well, HSU was picked first place at in the preseason GAC.  And the game is at their place.  8)

Everyone thought Bentonville was going to beat Fayetteville last year for the state championship as well (and based upon their meeting in September 2011, they had very good reason).  I've heard people close to the program saying this is one of if not the best OBU teams in the past three decades.  Also heard others say that probably every OBU game is going to be close this season, but that the Arkadelphia Tigers are going to have a chance to win every game until the last minute this season.  It is admirable that they've been able to not fall apart after losing their starting QB/Conference OPOY on their very first series of their very first game.

Hope they can keep the score respectable vs. HSU.  We'll see.

Wahls

Quote from: OPoraquê on October 03, 2012, 02:46:53 pm
Well, HSU was picked first place at in the preseason GAC.  And the game is at their place.  8)

Thank God. That high school stadium is embarrassing.

OPoraquê

October 03, 2012, 03:51:37 pm #26 Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:06:05 pm by OPoraquê
Respectfully said...this is Division II.  We'll see if OBU ever spends money to upgrade it.

Don't know if you're a HSU fan, but one thing that would be a bit troubling in the stats is that HSU is ranked currently #107 in the nation in defense.  Reminds me of Mike Leach's "old" (last decade) Texas Tech teams that would lead the nation in offense, post a winning record, but get hammered 3-4 times a year by someone.

(By those same numbers, Harding U looks like "the real deal" so far, with a defense now better (#1) statistically than OBU's (#5) and offense a few slots behind HSU.

Frankly, there'd be nothing that would be better than to have HU, HSU and OBU be ranked throughout the season.  Hope they can stay ranked for some time to come after that (and may one of them get to go far in the postseason sooner or later on equal frequency).

phdefense

Quote from: OPoraquê on October 03, 2012, 03:51:37 pm
(and may one of them get to go far in the postseason sooner or later on equal frequency).
It's going to take a resurgence by Tech for that to happen or for UCA to drop back down.

Wahls

Henderson's defense appears to be lacking because if I remember right, 90% of their offensive scoring drives are under two minutes.

Their defensive unit is fine. They give up lots of yards because the pace they play at.

Busman

As an old Reddie, I am looking forward to a meaningful HSU/OBU game like they were in the 70's. In my four years, they played 3 of the 4 at HSU as a joint homecoming.

OPoraquê

Quote from: Busman on October 03, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
As an old Reddie, I am looking forward to a meaningful HSU/OBU game like they were in the 70's. In my four years, they played 3 of the 4 at HSU as a joint homecoming.

What a fascinating idea (and I wonder how many other American universities/colleges ever had such conjoined homecoming events).

Busman

It was really good.  There only concession I recall was that OBU always sat on the visitor's side, which at Haygood-Carpenter is adequate with about 4,000 seats. Otherwise, traded home and away jerseys, press box was run by the home team, tickets taken by home team staff, gate receipts rotated every other years.  Homecoming parade in downtown Arkadelphia (think Animal House, without the Delta's).  It was the last game before the NAIA playoffs started and everyone figured that was the game everyone wanted to watch, so why not?  But, all good things come to an end.  OBU alum got tired of not playing on their field, so it stopped after 4 or 5 years.  In 1976, they had over 10,000, which was announced as the largest crowd in Arkansas Collegiate history in a game not involving the Hogs.  Don't know if that was true, but that was the legend.  Both teams 9-0, ObU comes back from 20-7 defecit to win 21-20 and qualify for NAIA playoffs, breaking HSU's three year undefeated AIC streak.  HSU went to the Bicenntenial Bowl in War Memorial Stadium and beat East Central Oklahoma on a rainy/sleety day in front of about 2,000 people.

OPoraquê

OBU #11.
HSU #12
HU in the Division II Top 25 now, too.

WTG.

pathos

Quote from: OPoraquê on October 08, 2012, 03:06:54 pm
OBU #11.
HSU #12

WTG.

SAU is also receiving votes.

OPoraquê

Quote from: pathos on October 08, 2012, 03:20:48 pm
OBU #11.
HSU #12

WTG.

Indeed they are.  Arkansas is representing well (only three other states with 3 or more schools in the DII Top 25).  :)

RamFan06

Quote from: pathos on October 08, 2012, 03:20:48 pm
OBU #11.
HSU #12

WTG.

As much as I am anti-SAU at the present time, I was impressed with how well they did against Harding. I hope, for the players, they can keep it up.

Wahls

HSU vs. OBU has the potential to be really one sided.

OPoraquê

Quote from: Wahls on October 08, 2012, 07:43:02 pm

Guess we'll find out, won't we, Wahls?  In the meantime, isn't it great to have multiple Arkansas schools, two from Arkadelphia to boot, in the DII Top 25?

Wahls

Quote from: OPoraquê on October 08, 2012, 09:41:22 pm
Quote from: Wahls on October 08, 2012, 07:43:02 pm

Guess we'll find out, won't we, Wahls?  In the meantime, isn't it great to have multiple Arkansas schools, two from Arkadelphia to boot, in the DII Top 25?

Meh.

I'm just kidding. It's cool!

Wahls

October 13, 2012, 11:43:37 pm #39 Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:46:17 pm by Wahls
HSU - 38
Harding - 10

Final.

Harding is every bit as good on defense as OBU is. HSU goes well over 500 yards of total offense. Score could have been a lot worse.

OPoraquê

Quote from: Wahls on October 13, 2012, 11:43:37 pm
HSU - 38
Harding - 10

Final.

Harding is every bit as good on defense as OBU is. HSU goes well over 500 yards of total offense. Score could have been a lot worse.

OBU barely escaped Monticello yesterday (feel for those guys because they've been through a bunch of quarterbacks as well...they'll be back).  Took my OBU son up to my wife's Dad's a-frame lake cabin in SW Missouri over fall break.  Big news from yesterday was that Pittsburg State (#1 and undefeated) lost to NW MO State, and also Top 10 Missouri Western was beaten by MO Southern (go Lions - more than one Bentonville kid has gone there).  Should mean a possibility for HSU or OBU or both to move into the top 10 this week.

Hope OBU can do well against HU next week...this is now OBU's fifth consecutive winning season and for a lot of high school and college football teams even back-to-back winning seasons aren't easy to put together.  I'll say it, Wahls...hope OBU can do well the rest of the season also, but if they don't - wouldn't break my heart to see HSU take Pitt State's (with a LOT of Bentonville kids) national championship place.  Bring that trophy to Arkansas some way!

BTW, speaking of "Bentonville", has Dallas Hardison gotten to play for ya'll yet this season in mopup, or is he redshirting?  He's a GOOD one (5,000 - 7,000 passing yards for Bennie's 25-1 teams in the '10 and '11 seasons, came within a couple of plays (had he not gotten pulled because BHS was so far ahead so many times) of being #2 in all-time high school passing yardage completion percentage behind Tim Couch).  Want to see him get some quality time for your team.

OPoraquê

WTG Wahls, HSU/OBU and HU.  OBU #10, HSU #11, HU still in at #25!  Shows how much voters think of both the "H" teams.  Now we'll see how good the (still relying on its 3rd string QB for the most part) "O" team is or isn't this Saturday...

Wahls

Hardison is getting the shirt. Ryan Black is the backup.

OPoraquê

Wahls, OBU went down at home in flames to HU this afternoon, so your guys are in the driver's seat.  Probably will drive OBU into the ground.  Hopefully the Arkadelphia Tigers can stay competitive through the rest of the season.  Had a feeling this was coming.  Oh, well... :)

Wahls

Like I said, after watching OBU earlier in the year that result makes a lot of sense. I had a feeling that HSU vs. OBU would be really one sided.

Didn't get to make the game today, but the score was:

HSU - 49
ECU - 14
Final.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Been a while since I have posted, but go Bisons!  What are the chances that both Henderson and Harding make the playoffs?

3cats

Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on October 22, 2012, 09:17:31 am
Been a while since I have posted, but go Bisons!  What are the chances that both Henderson and Harding make the playoffs?
If they win out it seems to be very good.

Busman

I think Henderson would have to lose, but they could take two.  I've seen them take three from the same conference before (W. Georgia, Delta State and Valdosta from the GSC).

Wahls

Quote from: Busman on October 22, 2012, 03:06:43 pm
I think Henderson would have to lose, but they could take two.  I've seen them take three from the same conference before (W. Georgia, Delta State and Valdosta from the GSC).

Henderson could have realistically made it that year as well. They were a bubble team and had a share of the title.

Wahls

That said, if Harding wins out, they have a shot.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas