• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True Grit

Started by RATTLER43, December 18, 2010, 05:42:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

Anyone seen it? Give me some feedback.

CACKY

hasn't opened in central arkansas yet.  Sneak Preview is Midnight Dec 21.  Saw a preview earlier today--looks like another great Jeff Bridges performance!

True Believer

Haven't seen it but I am excited about it.   At first I was not too happy about them doing a remake.  Kinda sick of them.  But this looks like a really good film.  I hope it is.

edghog

I'm a big Jeff Bridges fan. But I'm a much bigger John Wayne fan. I'm gonna skip this one.

True Believer

Quote from: edghog on December 19, 2010, 12:43:16 pm
I'm a big Jeff Bridges fan. But I'm a much bigger John Wayne fan. I'm gonna skip this one.

No one can beat the Duke.  But the trailers look pretty good.  I hope Bridges made it his own and didn't try to imitate.   

John Wayne will always be number one to me. 

theHammer

Coen brothers, Jeff Bridges, and Matt Damon. I'll be there.

edghog

Quote from: True Believer on December 19, 2010, 02:10:54 pm

No one can beat the Duke.  But the trailers look pretty good.  I hope Bridges made it his own and didn't try to imitate.   

No doubt Bridges can pull it off but I just want to remember it the way it was. I don't think Bridges would have touched it unless he thought he could do it justice.

True Believer

Quote from: edghog on December 19, 2010, 06:17:21 pm
Quote from: True Believer on December 19, 2010, 02:10:54 pm

No doubt Bridges can pull it off but I just want to remember it the way it was. I don't think Bridges would have touched it unless he thought he could do it justice.

I understand.  I saw the original in the theater when it came out.  I loved it.  I usually don't like remakes.   This will probably be our Christmas movie that we go see. 

RATTLER43

I heard that it almost seems like a tribute to the Duke at times. I, too, am a big John Wayne fan. But I plan to see this. Heard it is gonna be a great one.

cuz

Not a big fan of Bridges but think Matt Damon couldn't do anything but improve the movie. For all the movies the Duke did this is the one that a lot remember him for. This remake is supposed to be more on the lines of the novel and not necessary a remake of the show itself. Only one way to find out so I guess I'll be there and judge for myself.......

johnharrison

absolutely great!

Bridges easily trumps the Duke

MA

This movie is AWESOME!! Never been a big western fan but this one was totally worth the money. Bridges was amazing, Damon was great and whoever that girl is she should win an award or 2 haha she was phenomenal

CACKY

Loved the movie.  The only thing that bothered me was the outlaws speaking in such a precise grammatically correct manner.  I have a hard time believing they said cannot, do not, and not can't, don't and ain't.  Did anyone else notice this?

Otherwise, it was great.  Another movie you don't want to miss is "The Fighter."  Actually liked it more than True Grit.

johnharrison

Quote from: CACKY on December 30, 2010, 10:53:43 am
Loved the movie.  The only thing that bothered me was the outlaws speaking in such a precise grammatically correct manner.  I have a hard time believing they said cannot, do not, and not can't, don't and ain't.  Did anyone else notice this?

Otherwise, it was great.  Another movie you don't want to miss is "The Fighter."  Actually liked it more than True Grit.

It's the Cohen brothers.  The language is kinda an odd trademark.  Now Mattie was supposed to be stilted, the cowboys not so much.  Watch O Brother Where Art Thou

MA

The fighter was awesome... Not sure which one I liked better but They are both great

Clara Allen

Loved the movie- it was different, yet alike from the John Wayne version.  In reference to the precise language by the outlaws, read the book- that's how Portis wrote it.  All of the leading actors deserve award nods- they were great...

SportsFan23

If you read the book " True Grit " the story is told from the point of view of Mattie Ross and that is the way she spoke so when she reported on others that's the way she explained it. I'm sure the story is fiction but I always thought it was a unique way to tell the story. If you watch the original Duvall ( Ned Pepper ) spoke very proper.

bleudog

January 04, 2011, 07:33:09 am #17 Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:50:10 am by bleudog
Here's a piece Rod Harrington from the EDNT wrote about the movie.  I didn't realize Portis' Arkansas connection.

"Like millions of people across the country, I saw the new "True Grit" on opening night. I hadn't been to the movies in a very long time, but felt the Coen Brothers effort would be worth it. And it was.
   There are some, no doubt, who aren't interested in seeing a remake, but the 2010 version really isn't rehashing the 1969 movie. It's a very strict interpretation of the book. The Coen Brothers deliver great scenery, dialogue, action and a movie of epic proportions.  The 2010 "True Grit" was written and directed by brothers Ethan and Joel Coen, who have brought us "Fargo," "O Brother Where Art Thou," "Raising Arizona" and other comedy gems. The remake of the 1969 movie, which starred John Wayne and Arkansas native Glen Campbell, is another stellar effort by the Coens. Unlike the first movie, this one sticks pretty close to the book written by Charles Portis, who was born right here in El Dorado.
   The author grew up around Mount Holly and Norphlet.
He turned 77 earlier this week. Bob Boze Bell is a historian and western artist in Arizona. He is a genuine expert on all things western. He wrote about the remake of "True Grit."
   "Last night the entire family, six of us, went to see the new 'True Grit' and all agreed it is a winner. Tonight, Kathy and I watched the original and it's amazing, both stand tall, with slight differences and advantages. ..."
   Portis had quite the career in journalism before deciding to write fiction. He worked for the Arkansas Traveler and Northwest Arkansas Times in Fayetteville and the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock. He then went to work for the New York Herald Tribune. In 1964 he left the Tribune and began working on his fiction back in Arkansas. Portis was first published in 1966 with "Norwood," later made into a movie with Campbell, Kim Darby and Joe Namath. Darby returned in 1969 to play Mattie Ross in the original "True Grit" opposite John Wayne.
   Portis also penned "The Dog of the South," "Masters of Atlantis" and "Gringos." In the new "True Grit," veteran actor Jeff Bridges is splendid in the role of Rooster Cogburn, the role which brought Wayne his only Oscar. Matt Damon stars as the Texas Ranger who wants to help 14-year old Mattie Ross capture her father's killer.
   Ross is played by Hailee Steinfeld, also 14, who handles the difficult language and spoken words of Portis' book to perfection. She beat out some 15,000 other girls who auditioned for the role.
   You can see Bell's work at http://blog.truewestmagazine.com on the Internet."

CLICK HERE

Lanny

Excellent movie.  I didn't think anyone could beat John Wayne in True Grit however Bridges did a very good fine.  Highly recommend

redwolf143

Quote from: SportsFan23 on January 04, 2011, 05:39:17 am

If you read the book " True Grit " the story is told from the point of view of Mattie Ross and that is the way she spoke so when she reported on others that's the way she explained it. I'm sure the story is fiction but I always thought it was a unique way to tell the story. If you watch the original Duvall ( Ned Pepper ) spoke very proper.

Agreed, the language is intentional and a nod to the book.

Hootie

Good movie worth seeing. Most remakes are garbage. This one wasn't.

MHS_Tigerfan_#11

Sounds like I will have to make time to see this.

Ridge Rat

Just got back from the drive-in. Very good movie but not as good as the original in my eyes. Wasn't nearly as true to the book as I was led to believe either. Gotta admit I liked how they stayed true to the ending however.

True Believer

The drive in?  Where do you live?  Australia?

Memphis has a drive in that is fun and we try to go once a year.

Ridge Rat

I live in Marshall. We've had it my whole life,so at least forty years. Last one in Arkansas that's still open year-round. Mnt.View and Fayetteville each have one, but are only seasonal.

True Believer

Oh I have heard of that one.  I hope they keep it going.  DeQueen use to have one but it was torn down years ago.  Saw "Free Willy" there with my kiddos.  Great fun!!!

Infamous

This is the best movie I've watched in a long time. Like some said earlier, generally remakes aren't that great. This was an exception.

redwolf143

Took my wife to it again yesterday as part of a double feature.  Just as good the second time and the Coen's best work in my opinion.  With a lack of teenagers in the room this one was better than the first time.

bleudog

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas