• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-1

Started by Baller91, October 12, 2018, 08:57:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baller91

We're about a month out from the start of the season. What's the scoop on how the conference shakes out?

wait4it

Harrison and Farmington will probably battle for 1st.  Pea Ridge will be in the mix...

beach bum

Conference is Farmington, Harrison, Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, Shiloh Christian, Gravette, Berryville, and Huntsville?? Do I have that correct? Is Gentry in there or are they 3A in basketball now? That's a pretty solid league from top to bottom.

Baller91

Quote from: beach bum on October 13, 2018, 02:36:48 pm
Conference is Farmington, Harrison, Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, Shiloh Christian, Gravette, Berryville, and Huntsville?? Do I have that correct? Is Gentry in there or are they 3A in basketball now? That's a pretty solid league from top to bottom.

Gentry is also in the conference.

Baller91

Quote from: wait4it on October 12, 2018, 09:48:32 am
Harrison and Farmington will probably battle for 1st.  Pea Ridge will be in the mix...

I figured Harrison and Farmington, as they are making the move down a classification this year. I'm sure PR will be decent, as they always are, but I wasn't too impressed with the group they had playing summer ball together this year. Of course that doesn't mean anything come time for the actual season. Should be an interesting season.

RZback

does anyone else think its weird that football and basketball don't play the same conference?

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on October 13, 2018, 05:43:59 pm
does anyone else think its weird that football and basketball don't play the same conference?

It definitely is a little weird now.... I think these "other sports' conferences seem to make a little bit better competitive balance though. I think now you have depth all the way down to your 6 or 7 seed here. It makes you wonder if this is an experiment that they may tinker with football too soon.

beach bum

Quote from: Baller91 on October 13, 2018, 04:55:29 pm
I figured Harrison and Farmington, as they are making the move down a classification this year. I'm sure PR will be decent, as they always are, but I wasn't too impressed with the group they had playing summer ball together this year. Of course that doesn't mean anything come time for the actual season. Should be an interesting season.

I like the 9 team leagues in basketball.... I am not a fan of the 10 team league in high school like the last blended league, and I hated some of those 1A-3A leagues that had 6 or 7 teams only. I think 8 or 9 teams makes perfect sense.

RZback

I just don't understand the reasoning behind it I guess.  Either you're a 3A, 4A team or a 5A team or you are not.  Why would it be different from sport to sport.  Can anyone explain this?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: wait4it on October 12, 2018, 09:48:32 am

Harrison is LOADED this year, they will win hands down.

Cardfan1

Let's get the preseason rankings 1-9 going....boys and girls. Looking forward to the info.

beach bum

October 15, 2018, 07:57:51 pm #11 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:00:01 pm by beach bum
Quote from: RZback on October 14, 2018, 05:46:51 pm
I just don't understand the reasoning behind it I guess.  Either you're a 3A, 4A team or a 5A team or you are not.  Why would it be different from sport to sport.  Can anyone explain this?

I honestly think they shrunk one classification because in basketball enrollment is not as big of an issue with a sport that only requires 5 on the court compared to 11 on the football field. So I think that taking away one classification was the right thing to do. Now, does Bentonville need to be in the same conference as Pea Ridge just as an example? Absolutely not, but Harrison and Farmington in with the bigger 1-4A schools makes sense..... But I wish they went back to 64 or 72 teams in the 3 smallest basketball classifications. I was the last group to play in the old 5 classification system and I remember winning games at state meant something when you are one of the last 8 or so teams left when it started with 65-70 teams in the regular season..... 6 classes is better than 7 so I'll take it.

BVCAT

1. Harrison - not even close
2. Farmington - addition of Pridmore helps but can't touch Harrison
3. Pea Ridge - nice core returning, could flip with Farmington
4. Berryville - returns arguably best player in league last year but lost several seniors....should be competitive
5. Huntsville - new coach, new system, we'll see
6. Shiloh - lost a lot, not sure
7. Gravette - lost more than a lot
8. Prairie Grove -  ???
9. Gentry - ???

Baller91

Quote from: BVCAT on October 15, 2018, 09:05:28 pm
1. Harrison - not even close
2. Farmington - addition of Pridmore helps but can't touch Harrison
3. Pea Ridge - nice core returning, could flip with Farmington
4. Berryville - returns arguably best player in league last year but lost several seniors....should be competitive
5. Huntsville - new coach, new system, we'll see
6. Shiloh - lost a lot, not sure
7. Gravette - lost more than a lot
8. Prairie Grove -  ???
9. Gentry - ???
I agree with 1 & 2, but not too sure about the rest.

init2winit2

who is the best player in the conference off of berryville's team? is the ray kid coming back?

BVCAT

Quote from: init2winit2 on October 17, 2018, 06:37:17 pm
who is the best player in the conference off of berryville's team? is the ray kid coming back?
Must have offended family as you joined today to ask that question....no offense intended as Ray was a nice addition to the Berryville team last year but I think you know he graduated. Others can chime in on this one.

init2winit2

;D Jumping to conclusions I only saw berryville play once or twice last year and the ray kid was lighting it up shooting like the carr kid use to they had another guard on the team that was shorter he had a good shot but I thought the ray kid was their best player last year who is the player you are talking about?

MoTownDog

Quote from: Cajun Hog on October 15, 2018, 04:00:42 pm
Harrison is LOADED this year, they will win hands down.

Unless they have new players I don't know about, Farmington beats them by 20.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: MoTownDog on October 26, 2018, 12:31:45 pm
Unless they have new players I don't know about, Farmington beats them by 20.

Farmington is a year away from be loaded.

basketballseason

Quote from: Cajun Hog on October 26, 2018, 01:17:06 pm
Is their JH good?

Cardfan1

Quote from: Cajun Hog on October 26, 2018, 01:17:06 pm

I think Farmington Boys are poised to have a good year. I do agree that there is talent in the younger ranks that makes the future look bright.
Harrison is really good, physically talented and should be a major player at the State level.  Pea Ridge will be solid again and beyond that I'm not sure. If tradition holds true, the 4A-1 will be entertaining as always.

Cajun, how do you see the girls side shaking out?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: basketballseason on October 26, 2018, 02:53:49 pm
Is their JH good?

Very deep and talented. Not being a JH conference and playing mostly 6A & 7A teams the last 4 years and really helped the program.

BigGuy22

We can drop Pea Ridge a seed or two. Their starting post from last season had to quit basketball for some personal reasons. I don't think he got in trouble but he had some stuff going on. He was a beast last season for Pea Ridge. All-Conference and I believe he was 6th on the list to be All-State, and they only take 4. He was a very good all-around player. Their backup center got straight up bullied last year in the elimination game, hopefully he can step up and fill the role but I don't have high hopes for Pea Ridge this season!

Hawk4L

PR at worst finishes 3rd.  Nick Coble is a stud.  Wesley Wells 6'5 junior will replace the big man Mahoney he's a good player.  Returning 3 starters from last year.  Noah Pederson junior can shoot the lights out. 

beach bum

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 16, 2018, 06:01:44 pm
PR at worst finishes 3rd.  Nick Coble is a stud.  Wesley Wells 6'5 junior will replace the big man Mahoney he's a good player.  Returning 3 starters from last year.  Noah Pederson junior can shoot the lights out.

Didn't Pea Ridge lose to Eureka the other night? ..... Not a good sign for when they go up against Harrison and Farmington 4 times combined.

Baller91

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 16, 2018, 06:01:44 pm

I admire your optimism. The backup Post for PR gets thrown around like a rag doll. Unless he has put on a ton of muscle since I saw him play this summer, you all will be hurting inside. He's a decent player, but not strong enough. Especially compared to what you had in Mahoney.

Hawk4L

Yeah we lost to eureka  :-\ worst game we've played in very long time. Just one of those game where no shots could fall.  I agree losing Mahoney hurts a lot. I just think we finish 3rd. Our conf is pretty weak so finishing 3rd isn't hard to do. I could be wrong.

beach bum

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 17, 2018, 08:14:22 pm
Yeah we lost to eureka  :-\ worst game we've played in very long time. Just one of those game where no shots could fall.  I agree losing Mahoney hurts a lot. I just think we finish 3rd. Our conf is pretty weak so finishing 3rd isn't hard to do. I could be wrong.

I tend to agree.... outside of Farmington and Harrison anyone can grab that 3 seed. Probably a lot of teams bunched between 7-9 and 9-7 record in the conference this year between the 3 through 6/7 seed area.

Baller91

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 17, 2018, 08:14:22 pm
I think you guys will probably finish in the top 5 - possibly 3rd. I haven't seen Berryville, Huntsville or Shiloh play yet. I figure the battle for 3 and 4 will be between the 4 of you.
Sadly, Gentry and Gravette will probably be battling for last. Gentry has one exceptional player and several mediocre ones, and Gravette lost a ton of talent from last year, so I'm afraid they will struggle as well.

Hawk4L

PR had 20pt win over Mena tonight. Good bounce back game after that terrible loss to Eureka

Charlie1001

November 20, 2018, 11:56:25 pm #30 Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:31:29 am by Charlie1001
Quote from: BigGuy22 on November 14, 2018, 01:41:25 pm
We can drop Pea Ridge a seed or two. Their starting post from last season had to quit basketball for some personal reasons. I don't think he got in trouble but he had some stuff going on. He was a beast last season for Pea Ridge. All-Conference and I believe he was 6th on the list to be All-State, and they only take 4. He was a very good all-around player. Their backup center got straight up bullied last year in the elimination game, hopefully he can step up and fill the role but I don't have high hopes for Pea Ridge this season!
[/quote

They aren't missing him.

Woopig6

Shiloh looks to have a lot of threats on the court. Namely: Sean Cranna. Kid is a beast

beach bum

Quote from: Woopig6 on November 27, 2018, 11:43:57 am
Shiloh looks to have a lot of threats on the court. Namely: Sean Cranna. Kid is a beast

Do they have any contributors coming over from football? Guys that might be in let's say the 8 man rotation?

Woopig6

I expect a lot this season from Russ, Thomson, and Henry. This team could be sneaky good

Charlie1001

Quote from: Woopig6 on November 27, 2018, 06:17:43 pm
I expect a lot this season from Russ, Thomson, and Henry. This team could be sneaky good

I'm sure they'll be amazing!!!!  They will run right through Harrison, Farmington and Pea Ridge.  Gravette lost everything so they will probably play them strong too.

Woopig6

Quote from: Charlie1001 on November 27, 2018, 09:12:42 pm
I'm sure they'll be amazing!!!!  They will run right through Harrison, Farmington and Pea Ridge.  Gravette lost everything so they will probably play them strong too.
This guy gets it

BRJ_Basketball

Last night at the Shiloh vs. Elkins game I saw a lot of potential from the Seth Rosenfeld, Harrison Williams and Sean Cranna.  Despite the outcome of the game if the power three can combine with the incoming stars from football like Thomson, Henry, and Russ we can expect big things from this team in the upcoming season.

BudWaltonArena

I, an elkins dad, was at the game last night. although it was a victory for my elks, i saw a lot of talent out of shilohs shaun crana. number 12 as i recall. their point guard also moves well number 30

BRJ_Basketball

Quote from: _Maximum_velocity_ on November 28, 2018, 10:38:33 am
I, an elkins dad, was at the game last night. although it was a victory for my elks, i saw a lot of talent out of shilohs shaun crana. number 12 as i recall. their point guard also moves well number 30
While agree with your assessment of Sean* and Harrison (Number 30) you forgot to acknowledge the skills that the 2 guard, Seth Rosenfeld posses.

Woopig6

Quote from: _Maximum_velocity_ on November 28, 2018, 10:38:33 am
Strong assessment. Would say that this is a small set back for a major comeback

Hawk4L

So are y'all saying Shiloh will be the best in the conf ?

Woopig6

November 28, 2018, 01:11:12 pm #41 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:16:36 pm by Woopig6
Quote from: Hawk4L on November 28, 2018, 12:53:07 pm
[/quote
I'm not saying yes but I'm also not saying no

BRJ_Basketball

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 28, 2018, 12:53:07 pm
I think I can say it best by stating the roof for the Saints is very high.  If they play the game they know and execute their gameplans well they will be a tough competitor for teams that think they have an easy path to the state tournament.

Gray lizard

Did anyone catch the Pottsville/ Praire Grove game score last night. I heard Pottsville boys won by 15. Not sure about the source.

Klaw30

Quote from: BRJ_Basketball on November 28, 2018, 01:20:46 pm
I think I can say it best by stating the roof for the Saints is very high.  If they play the game they know and execute their gameplans well they will be a tough competitor for teams that think they have an easy path to the state tournament.
I agree, BRJ!!!  The Saints have a high potential if they play together. They will be a force if they are clicking on all cylinders!!

BRJ_Basketball

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 28, 2018, 01:24:28 pm
Did anyone catch the Pottsville/ Praire Grove game score last night. I heard Pottsville boys won by 15. Not sure about the source.
Pottsville won by a score of 51-35.  Has pottsville lost players this year? They were a team to be afraid of last year. Only beating a weak Prarie Grove team by 15 is a bit surprising in my opinion.  From what I saw over summer league, Prarie Grove seemed to have lost several players and is no where near as good as their team from last year.

Klaw30

Quote from: BRJ_Basketball on November 28, 2018, 01:50:54 pm
Pottsville won by a score of 51-35.  Has pottsville lost players this year? They were a team to be afraid of last year. Only beating a weak Prarie Grove team by 15 is a bit surprising in my opinion.  From what I saw over summer league, Prarie Grove seemed to have lost several players and is no where near as good as their team from last year.
PG is definitely down from last year with the loss of several key players. We will see how they do against Elkins. They lost to Huntsville to start the year but beat Greenland by a few points.

BRJ_Basketball

Enough with the talk about Pottsville and Prarie Grove.  How does everyone feel about Shiloh once they get the key players such as Thomson, Russ, and Henry?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: BRJ_Basketball on November 28, 2018, 01:20:46 pm

Please let us know the game with Harrison goes? Then you will know how you measure up to the 5A teams that came down in the region.

beach bum

Quote from: Cajun Hog on November 28, 2018, 03:33:43 pm
Please let us know the game with Harrison goes? Then you will know how you measure up to the 5A teams that came down in the region.

I think these NWA 4A schools are in for a harsh awakening at what Harrison will bring. The physicality and defense played in the old 5A West is light years beyond most all of 4A

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas