• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DISTRICT MEETS (and state looming)

Started by beach bum, April 23, 2018, 12:19:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

April 23, 2018, 12:19:02 pm Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:20:57 pm by beach bum
Good luck to all those having their district meets this week and trying to qualify for state. I really wanted to go to the 4-2A meet in Eureka Springs today(that had to have been my favorite track in my day) when Green Forest or Berryville used to host the old 1-3A meets in Eureka before there was 7 classifications back 12-15 years ago. Hope everyone stays injury free and puts together some good times through out all the classifications.

beach bum

Maybe we can use this thread for anyone to highlight stellar performances through out the district meets?

Rida4Life

I just received word that the 7AA East District meet has been moved up to a 10:30 start time Wednesday in Monticello in an effort to beat the weather.

beach bum

Quote from: Rida4Life on April 23, 2018, 01:27:51 pm
I just received word that the 7AA East District meet has been moved up to a 10:30 start time Wednesday in Monticello in an effort to beat the weather.

That sounds like a good plan. I also like the fact quite a bit of conferences are doing their district meets on Wednesday. That is because Wednesday is a day where you will be able to field a maximum number of athletes in case they play soccer or baseball on the boys side and any gals out there that might play softball or soccer. It's a win, win in my book cause soccer and baseball/softball is not being played on Wednesdays. I hate seeing some athletes not be able to make it to meets when other sports are clustering up their spring sports schedule.

beach bum

Rattler I saw where you all at Magazine had some pretty good showings.... That 9th grader in the sprints is going to be a monster if he keeps it up and progresses with age.

RATTLER43

Thank you.
I am in the midst of a nice mini-run.  My 8th-11th graders are good in girls and boys. 
Sophomore throwing 44' and 139' is nice.  Have a 9th grader just learning who is explosive too.
My triple jumper is just coming into his own in the low 40s.
Long jumper over 21', one over 20', and the 9th grader at 19'8". Two decent high jumpers.
Young hurdler who is learning to three-step (already beautiful going over hurdles and has speed).
Distance runner who should enter 10s in 3200m soon. Rookie vaulters who have come a long way in 8 weeks. And so many more.....
Yes; the 9th grader is great and a great worker and leader.  I coached his father who was wonderful as well.
I am really excited about this group.

MICHAELSPAPPY

April 27, 2018, 08:07:23 am #6 Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:40:01 am by MICHAELSPAPPY
Coach, you add another banner, and I'll jog a quarter mile around your track to celebrate. (I figure my job will be tougher than yours.)

RATTLER43

Girls project top 5 and boys about 6 or 7 but I return basically everyone!!!   
I might just jog it with you.....

Rida4Life

Rattler43.... looks like you have a ton of young talent. 

State ought to be fun.  This will likely be PC's one chance to win it all.  My buddy is the Head Coach there and he's pretty puckered up.  He said he's never been nervous for a track meet until this year ;D

beach bum

Good luck to you all next week. I haven't taken a peak at what the weather may have in store but I hope its just right for a state meet.

RATTLER43

It is a great feeling when you have a good group.  I love all the teams over the 30 years, but when you go in with a shot it is just a different feeling- a great feeling.

AT

Rattler, I was able to experience this decision a few times. Coach Dunlap didn't like to do it, and I don't think we did it but once or twice, but how do you feel about keeping a kid out of an event at a conference meet so you can qualify more for state?

I know it seems at the bare surface it is the right decision, but you must know that it might be hard to tell a kid they won't be able to get a conference championship in their favorite event their senior year.

RATTLER43

April 27, 2018, 08:11:15 pm #12 Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:15:36 pm by RATTLER43
It is tough. When you nurture a "team" concept rather than track is an individual sport culture, it is easier.  In my 2012 title run, kids gave up potential silver medals and All State possibilities to try to help achieve team goal.  Long Yang gave up our High Point/MVP award at district one year to get more guys to state in pole vault.  In 2010 and 2011, I had throwers qualified willing to let other throwers get in.   I have had many such willing kids.  Tough no matter what, but, we put team first.  My opinion anyway.   

OB11

Which one of you guys is @NaturalStateT&F on Twitter?

AT

RATTLER43

Getting close!  My favorite time of the year.   Final invitationals, district, and state.  Kids peaking. Championships to be won.  PRs and records.   All that hard work coming to fruition.   Good luck to all this week.   

Rida4Life

Good Luck to all.  Wish I could attend that 2A meet tomorrow.  It ought to be a slug fest between PC, Earle, Magazine, Caddo Hills, Foreman, and Magnet Cove.

RATTLER43

...and Jacksonville Lighthouse.....     
Slugfest for sure!   
I will be loud enough for both of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OB11

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 30, 2018, 12:37:13 pm
That's me :D

I figured that was you. Great content and analysis. You just got a follow from me the other day. I know you do it because you love it and will do it regardless, but keep up the great work. Track and Field does not get enough respect IMO and the more exposure, the better.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Rida4Life on April 27, 2018, 08:58:46 am
Rattler43.... looks like you have a ton of young talent. 

State ought to be fun.  This will likely be PC's one chance to win it all.  My buddy is the Head Coach there and he's pretty puckered up.  He said he's never been nervous for a track meet until this year ;D
PC was great.  Earle was too much for anyone else but PC brought it.  We were in 3rd after field events and 4X800m relay then fell apart scoring 1 point (yes, 1 point) in the running finals.  Maybe youth showed itself a little but we had a great season.  Congrats big time to you guys!!   My girls competed the entire day.  Just not enough on this day.  Great season.  Pumped for next season already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rida4Life

Great season for PC.... I know he said they needed to be within 10 coming out of field events and it was significantly more than that.  Congrats to Earle and good luck next year Rattler!  Looks like you have a contender looming!

RATTLER43

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas