• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still Proud of My Charleston Tigers

Started by WPWells, March 09, 2015, 07:29:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Wow. Where do I start? I ended my career with a tough loss, and this one tonight may be as tough as the one that ended mine. With the loss tonight, everyone that was my teammate at Charleston has now seen their career come to an end. Makes me feel kinda old.

I'm so proud of every member of this Charleston team, but I want to give a special shoutout to all the seniors:

Alex Schmitz - "Doc" was what we called him. He didn't play a whole lot, but he could shoot and wasn't afraid to pull it. He will be missed.

Ethan Frederick - I called him "Ethan Bear." He was such a good kid and competed hard and always hustled in practice. One of my favorite memories was in the time before the football players got back his sophomore year, Coach Ross pointed at him to put him in the game. He was so surprised that he pointed to himself and asked "me?" because he didn't expect to be put in the game. He went in and played hard which was an indication of his whole career. He will be missed.

Chris Williams - An excellent lineman for the Charleston football team. This was his first year playing basketball. He will be missed.

Garett Meredith - Garett transferred to Charleston from Dardanelle last year. He was an excellent wide receiver/defensive back in football, but he could hold his own on the court as well. I never knew him that well, but I know that he will be missed.

Dalton Christenberry - This guy was undersized, but he made up for it with heart. He was a quick little player who played hard every time he stepped out on the court. He will be missed.

Jeremy Tedford - He had a sweet stroke from outside and was a lot of fun to play with. He got a lot of playing time before the football players got back. He was fun to be around and always kept things light. He will be missed.

Tanner Lynch - One of the best linebackers in the state but also a good basketball player in his own right. He played a big role coming off the bench this year, especially after the injury to King. He will be missed.

Taylor King - Started all last year as well as this year until his injury. It was a shame that he tore his ACL because that really hampered Charleston. He was a great point guard and did a fantastic job of running the Charleston offense. He will be missed.

Dylan Lenihan - A foreign exchange student from Ireland. He got thrust into a starting role when King went down and did an excellent job. He ran the offense like a seasoned pro and hit some huge shots this postseason. He will be missed.

Hayden Newhart - Hayden had an injury from football that kept him down for much of the year. It seems like he finally felt somewhat healthy for the state tournament. He hit some huge buckets, especially against Jessieville. He will be missed.

Tyler Skeets - This is a prime example of what hard work can do. Skeets barely got into the game in his sophomore and junior seasons except for garbage time, but he worked his butt off during the offseason and played a huge role this season. He started every single game this season and was a huge part of Charleston's success. He will be missed.

Andrew Smith - I was as close to Andrew as anyone on this year's team. I always got excited when he would see me when I came home and he'd run and give me a huge hug. It meant a lot to me when I sent him a congratulatory text one night and he was upset because I wasn't going to be able to make it, and he told me "games are more fun when you're there." Of course, he was an excellent big man as well. He will be missed.

Matthew Ward - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Matthew is the best player to ever put on a Tiger uniform as well as the best player in the 3A this year. He is the only Tiger to ever score 2000 career points. I think his best trait, though, is his humility. He never let any of his success go to his head. He never thought he was too big for anyone. He will be missed.

Overall, this was a great season for the Tigers, all things considered. Ty Storey, who played a huge role in our run last year, graduated early to start spring practice with the Arkansas football team, and Brandon Fenner, who is probably the best shooter in the 3A (besides possibly Ward) transferred to Paris. Also, Taylor King, the starting point guard, tore his ACL halfway through the conference season. This team overcame all that adversity to win their fifth consecutive conference title and also win another regional title (they won region all three years). Overall, while it's a shame that this class couldn't win a state championship, they still won over the Charleston community. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. Charleston will be back!

P.S. Good luck to ECS in the state championship. I've been reluctant to admit it, but y'all are definitely head and shoulders above everyone in the 3A this year.

neds

+1   12man
They can never take these memories away. They are yours forever!
Great season and career to all of you, well done!!

chuckBB

I am proud to be part of it. We were blessed to have all these talented and amazing graduating seniors. I am absolutely loved every moment of cheering for my Tigers. Thank you, 12th man for being a great role modal and your passion toward your town.

WildcatGrandpa13

I would like to say that Matthew Ward is a blast to watch play. He is truly incredible on the floor. I know he had an off night against ECS, but he still gave 110% until the end. Great player, great kid, I'm sure the future holds much for this young man.

SGT.HULKA

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 09, 2015, 07:29:03 pm
Wow. Where do I start? I ended my career with a tough loss, and this one tonight may be as tough as the one that ended mine. With the loss tonight, everyone that was my teammate at Charleston has now seen their career come to an end. Makes me feel kinda old.

I'm so proud of every member of this Charleston team, but I want to give a special shoutout to all the seniors:

Alex Schmitz - "Doc" was what we called him. He didn't play a whole lot, but he could shoot and wasn't afraid to pull it. He will be missed.

Ethan Frederick - I called him "Ethan Bear." He was such a good kid and competed hard and always hustled in practice. One of my favorite memories was in the time before the football players got back his sophomore year, Coach Ross pointed at him to put him in the game. He was so surprised that he pointed to himself and asked "me?" because he didn't expect to be put in the game. He went in and played hard which was an indication of his whole career. He will be missed.

Chris Williams - An excellent lineman for the Charleston football team. This was his first year playing basketball. He will be missed.

Garett Meredith - Garett transferred to Charleston from Dardanelle last year. He was an excellent wide receiver/defensive back in football, but he could hold his own on the court as well. I never knew him that well, but I know that he will be missed.

Dalton Christenberry - This guy was undersized, but he made up for it with heart. He was a quick little player who played hard every time he stepped out on the court. He will be missed.

Jeremy Tedford - He had a sweet stroke from outside and was a lot of fun to play with. He got a lot of playing time before the football players got back. He was fun to be around and always kept things light. He will be missed.

Tanner Lynch - One of the best linebackers in the state but also a good basketball player in his own right. He played a big role coming off the bench this year, especially after the injury to King. He will be missed.

Taylor King - Started all last year as well as this year until his injury. It was a shame that he tore his ACL because that really hampered Charleston. He was a great point guard and did a fantastic job of running the Charleston offense. He will be missed.

Dylan Lenihan - A foreign exchange student from Ireland. He got thrust into a starting role when King went down and did an excellent job. He ran the offense like a seasoned pro and hit some huge shots this postseason. He will be missed.

Hayden Newhart - Hayden had an injury from football that kept him down for much of the year. It seems like he finally felt somewhat healthy for the state tournament. He hit some huge buckets, especially against Jessieville. He will be missed.

Tyler Skeets - This is a prime example of what hard work can do. Skeets barely got into the game in his sophomore and junior seasons except for garbage time, but he worked his butt off during the offseason and played a huge role this season. He started every single game this season and was a huge part of Charleston's success. He will be missed.

Andrew Smith - I was as close to Andrew as anyone on this year's team. I always got excited when he would see me when I came home and he'd run and give me a huge hug. It meant a lot to me when I sent him a congratulatory text one night and he was upset because I wasn't going to be able to make it, and he told me "games are more fun when you're there." Of course, he was an excellent big man as well. He will be missed.

Matthew Ward - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Matthew is the best player to ever put on a Tiger uniform as well as the best player in the 3A this year. He is the only Tiger to ever score 2000 career points. I think his best trait, though, is his humility. He never let any of his success go to his head. He never thought he was too big for anyone. He will be missed.

Overall, this was a great season for the Tigers, all things considered. Ty Storey, who played a huge role in our run last year, graduated early to start spring practice with the Arkansas football team, and Brandon Fenner, who is probably the best shooter in the 3A (besides possibly Ward) transferred to Paris. Also, Taylor King, the starting point guard, tore his ACL halfway through the conference season. This team overcame all that adversity to win their fifth consecutive conference title and also win another regional title (they won region all three years). Overall, while it's a shame that this class couldn't win a state championship, they still won over the Charleston community. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. Charleston will be back!

P.S. Good luck to ECS in the state championship. I've been reluctant to admit it, but y'all are definitely head and shoulders above everyone in the 3A this year.
Well said 12th! 

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 09, 2015, 07:29:03 pm

Great post 12th. Great group of kids.

Jimbo Morphis

this is like watching a walt disney movie. all great kids and will be missed. bull crap. at least one of these kids is a punk and the coach won't miss him at all.

Longfellow

Oldman kinda has a point. There is always a kid who a coach doesn't like

WPWells

Honestly all the seniors this year were just awesome kids

North Face

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 10, 2015, 09:03:20 am
Honestly all the seniors this year were just awesome kids
just giving you one day and trying to lighten the mood a little.

bobcats

March 10, 2015, 09:15:29 am #11 Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:19:15 am by bobcats
Your old coach was a heck of a player at Charleston back in the early 70's.  He went on to play for the mean green at N Texas and later closer to home for I think it was Tech. 

WPWells

It was OBU. I love Coach Terry. Played for him for two years. He's now an assistant at Subiaco, so he'll get to play for a state championship

Radiotalker

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 10, 2015, 09:29:38 am
It was OBU. I love Coach Terry. Played for him for two years. He's now an assistant at Subiaco, so he'll get to play for a state championship

another private school

chuckBB

Quote from: Oldman on March 10, 2015, 08:54:53 am
this is like watching a walt disney movie. all great kids and will be missed. bull crap. at least one of these kids is a punk and the coach won't miss him at all.
Haha, well he didn't come back this year.

4real

Randy Terry has no doubt never gotten the credit he deserves as a charleston tiger. What an amazing player; he would've averaged 30ppg in today's game. He is an amazing man and one of the smartest coaches in the state.  It is an honor just to know the man.

bobcats

Quote from: 4real on March 10, 2015, 10:18:49 pm
Randy Terry has no doubt never gotten the credit he deserves as a charleston tiger. What an amazing player; he would've averaged 30ppg in today's game. He is an amazing man and one of the smartest coaches in the state.  It is an honor just to know the man.

What most people don't know is Randy's senior year in high school you had maybe the 3 best players in the state regardless of classifications all in small schools within 25 miles of each other.  You had Randy Terry @ Charleston who played at N Texas and OBU, Jerry Vest at County Line who played ball at U of Oklahoma and Jack Schulte at Subiaco who played for the Razorbacks.

cdelaney

Quote from: Oldman on March 10, 2015, 08:54:53 am
He's probably still so thrilled 12th Man is gone- punk of the decade I bet- that he won't worry about anyone in this group

fbisgreat

Quote from: North Face on March 10, 2015, 09:04:58 am
Has Ward signed with anybody?
I was told yesterday he is going to OBU to play.

BigMan15

UCA ran out of scholarships..so i was told it was obu or walk on somewhere

neds

OBU is a good program and well coached, really good education
Nice reward for him!

BigMan15

Imo at a 3A school any scholarship is a good one..very proud and happy for him to play at the next level.

Eagle20

Quote from: BigMan15 on March 21, 2015, 01:38:52 am
Imo at a 3A school any scholarship is a good one..very proud and happy for him to play at the next level.
People don't realize how good you to have to be to play at most levels.  Congrats to him!

Skip Baymore

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 21, 2015, 06:07:17 am
People don't realize how good you to have to be to play at most levels.  Congrats to him!
+1

fbisgreat

The thing is Ward scored a 32 on his ACT and is No.1 in his class he can go just about anywhere and get a full ride.

-Painted Fan-

He could go to UCA if he wanted.
He will have a full ride academic, and doesn't need an athletic scholarship.

chuckBB

I don't think Ward made any official decision where he will attend college or whether he will even play college basketball yet.  It will be very sad to see him quit basketball but he will be successful in life whatever he choose to do.  I am looking forward to see how he turns out in the future.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas