• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flippin vs. Episcopal

Started by Lrbasketballguru, March 07, 2015, 08:15:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrbasketballguru

March 07, 2015, 08:15:18 pm Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:39:03 pm by Lrbasketballguru
 Sooo, I've heard Flippin has an awesome defense and really likes to slow the game down. My question is, how slow are we talking, Jessieville district finals vs ECS slow? That could really cause problems for ECS; they also have to shoot well from the outside since Flippin guards the paint well. What other information is there about the Flippn offense other than tempo?

HeadTiger

Well....

Their guard #3 Politte is their best player. He controls the game and is a good athlete. He can hit the open 3 but is a lot like Martin for ECS.

Dean Smyser is their second best player imo. He's 6'5-6'6 and is another good athlete. Not a real good shooter but is a slasher and can finish above the rim.

Outside of those 2. They have 2 or 3 spot up shooters. Coach Hargrove will try and control the game and slow it down as much as possible. It'll be a closer game than everyone expects. I'll say the score will be around 45-38

Ponca

Ask yourself this. Could ECS hang with Fayetteville? Flippin didnt

HeadTiger

Comparing matchups isn't always a safe way to predict games. But If I remember correctly Flippin was within 5-10 in the beginning of the fourth quarter?

JeanClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Ponca on March 07, 2015, 09:33:25 pm
Ask yourself this. Could ECS hang with Fayetteville? Flippin didnt

Too many variables between how one team matches up with another for looking at a single game/team and assuming what will happen from that.

JeanClaudeVanHam

Mainly Flippin just doesn't make a lot of mistakes. They can beat anyone, but I feel like their style lends also to the fact that anyone can beat them. If ECS is shooting well then they will win. If they don't then it will probably come down to the final couple minutes.

neds

If Flippin takes the slow approach then they better be able to handle the ball well and intens defensive pressure because Episcopal will bring it. Right Bigman?

JeanClaudeVanHam

Quote from: neds on March 07, 2015, 10:20:14 pm
If Flippin takes the slow approach then they better be able to handle the ball well and intens defensive pressure because Episcopal will bring it. Right Bigman?

Rogers and Politte don't turn it over often. I don't know of many that can force Politte into a mistake. The game will be great. I watched ECS in the finals last year. Looking forward to seeing them once again.

neds

They are much better this year
It will take more than two ball handlers to work their stall offense

Eagle20

Quote from: neds on March 07, 2015, 10:31:10 pm
Ned's is right about that.  Their best player may not turn it over but the two role players have to touch it and it will be a different pressure than they have seen all year.  Episcopal would beat Fayetteville 8 out of 10 times.

Ponca

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 07, 2015, 11:01:08 pm
Ned's is right about that.  Their best player may not turn it over but the two role players have to touch it and it will be a different pressure than they have seen all year.  Episcopal would beat Fayetteville 8 out of 10 times.

That's where I was going with my question. If they played, I'd pick ECS over Fayetteville

FlippinHog

Calling Flippin's offense "stall" suggests you've never seen them play and is a gross explanation of their game.  They have a very large playbook of half court sets they execute very well.  If you're a fan of basketball, it's a lot of fun to watch!  It might be a good game tonight.  You should try to make it.

PASS

PASS

Rebel82

neds

Quote from: FlippinHog on March 08, 2015, 09:55:20 am

Calling Flippin's offense "stall" suggests you've never seen them play and is a gross explanation of their game.  They have a very large playbook of half court sets they execute very well.  If you're a fan of basketball, it's a lot of fun to watch!  It might be a good game tonight.  You should try to make it.

I wish I could. Safe travels

cdelaney

Quote from: PASS on March 08, 2015, 10:09:46 am
Episcopal by by 23.
If Flippin's possession offense holds up well, it will be a low scoring game and stay closer than that I think. ECS should win but I won't be si reprised if it is close.

neds

Basketball is funny, contrasting styles. You just never know.
Sounds like two well coached teams.

Radiotalker

Quote from: cdelaney on March 08, 2015, 11:46:20 am
Quote from: PASS on March 08, 2015, 10:09:46 am
Episcopal by by 23.
If Flippin's possession offense holds up well, it will be a low scoring game and stay closer than that I think. ECS should win but I won't be si reprised if it is close.

I'm sure at this point either would take a 1 pt win. Style points don't matter.

neds

What's your prediction on outcome Radio?

jr17

All the Flippin defense and "stall ball" considered, I'll sat ECS by 15+

Radiotalker

Quote from: neds on March 08, 2015, 12:41:15 pm
What's your prediction on outcome Radio?
[/quote

I think you guys are going win big, but then again you've seen my picks...lol. All I'm hearing is how they are going slow down the game, I'm not hearing how they can slow your offense. No disrespect to Manila, but it's hard for me to their loss to them out of my head.

Good luck to both.

lanecamper54

No disrespect here, but playing ESC will be a whole different experience than playing in the 3A1E or bigger schools, 2 of whom were having down years. Plus Jessieville had the advantage of having played ESC more than once.

teachers pet

Episcopal 34 Flippin 21 at half.

Rocket23

PASS

neds

FlippinHog did you go to the game today?

Radiotalker

FlippinHog

Quote from: neds on March 08, 2015, 07:43:42 pm
FlippinHog did you go to the game today?

Just got home.  ECS is even better than what I saw in Hot Springs last year.  Big, athletic, good guard play, outstanding shooters, protect the rim very well.  They have no real weaknesses.  I'll go out on a limb and say they'll bring it home again. 

cdelaney

I think their offense got pretty disrupted by the ECS defense, but I saw glimpses with some of the back door cuts/lob passes. But my favorite play was the well orchestrated fast break after a made ECS free throw- three quick passes right down the sideline, no dribbles, and a perfect pass to the post man for an easy layup.

bulldog42

As a fan of Flippin, I will say I am proud of the season we had.  One of the best in the history of the School, first state tournament win and appearance since 08 and most wins since 91.   I know for some schools, the state tournament is old hat and winning in the tournament is no big deal.  But there are a lot of teams that don't often get that privilege.  In the end it is a game, fun to watch and i enjoy it so.  It is bittersweet for me as my son graduates this year, but he and the other seniors for Flippin poured their hearts out and I feel have nothing to be ashamed of.  They proved they are a top 10 team, along with the other 3A1E conference member Valley Springs.  Also Coach Hargrove for Flippin is a class act, won his 600th game on Saturday.

For ECS, I have to give them credit.  I watched the state finals last year, and they seem improved from then.  They are very good. Good luck to them and the other teams the rest of the way.   Time to take my break from Fearless for a while.....

Rebel82

Quote from: bulldog42 on March 09, 2015, 11:55:04 am
As a fan of Flippin, I will say I am proud of the season we had.  One of the best in the history of the School, first state tournament win and appearance since 08 and most wins since 91.   I know for some schools, the state tournament is old hat and winning in the tournament is no big deal.  But there are a lot of teams that don't often get that privilege.  In the end it is a game, fun to watch and i enjoy it so.  It is bittersweet for me as my son graduates this year, but he and the other seniors for Flippin poured their hearts out and I feel have nothing to be ashamed of.  They proved they are a top 10 team, along with the other 3A1E conference member Valley Springs.  Also Coach Hargrove for Flippin is a class act, won his 600th game on Saturday.

For ECS, I have to give them credit.  I watched the state finals last year, and they seem improved from then.  They are very good. Good luck to them and the other teams the rest of the way.   Time to take my break from Fearless for a while.....
+1

WPWells

Classy +1. I hope I'm as classy if Charleston goes down

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 09, 2015, 12:54:45 pm
Classy +1. I hope I'm as classy if Charleston goes down

Slim chance in that. 😁

HawgDaddy

Congrats Flippin on a great year...ECS is clearly the best team in 3A. Good Luck to everyone else.

hawgsroll

Quote from: cdelaney on March 09, 2015, 11:40:46 am

I think their offense got pretty disrupted by the ECS defense, but I saw glimpses with some of the back door cuts/lob passes. But my favorite play was the well orchestrated fast break after a made ECS free throw- three quick passes right down the sideline, no dribbles, and a perfect pass to the post man for an easy layup.
I have seen ECS play a couple times this year and seen Flippin play a few times.  I thought it would have been a closer game.   I guess it was an 11 point game in the 3rd qtr but there was never any doubt who was gonna win.   ECS seemed to play better Sunday than even the other times I had seen them.   After all the talk about their INTENSE defensive pressure, I thought that would be the thing that would cause the most problems for Flippin.  But I truly believe that ECS had worked really hard on a great half court defensive scheme that stopped almost every offensive set that Flippin tried to run.   Their size and length were disruptive to say the least in the half court sets.    ECS was the better team and in my opinion, they would beat every 3A team they play 9 out of 10 times.   I think Charleston stands a slim chance to keep it close because of their physical size and strength.   In this tournament, you have to be able to physically hold your own.   ECS just manhandled Flippin around the basket.   Even on free throws, they were able to push the Flippin players off the blocks and get rebounds.   CHarleston has the strength to not let that happen as much, but ECS can also just flat out shoot the ball well and run the court when they need to.   I think ECS beats Charleston, Mayflower, and/or Prescott by 15 points...  As we have all stated throughout the year, #1 in 3A is ECS..... And based on the way they played Sunday, I would venture to say they are probably the best TEAM in the state in all classes....

smallybells

Quote from: hawgsroll on March 09, 2015, 03:42:14 pm

I have seen ECS play a couple times this year and seen Flippin play a few times.  I thought it would have been a closer game.   I guess it was an 11 point game in the 3rd qtr but there was never any doubt who was gonna win.   ECS seemed to play better Sunday than even the other times I had seen them.   After all the talk about their INTENSE defensive pressure, I thought that would be the thing that would cause the most problems for Flippin.  But I truly believe that ECS had worked really hard on a great half court defensive scheme that stopped almost every offensive set that Flippin tried to run.   Their size and length were disruptive to say the least in the half court sets.    ECS was the better team and in my opinion, they would beat every 3A team they play 9 out of 10 times.   I think Charleston stands a slim chance to keep it close because of their physical size and strength.   In this tournament, you have to be able to physically hold your own.   ECS just manhandled Flippin around the basket.   Even on free throws, they were able to push the Flippin players off the blocks and get rebounds.   CHarleston has the strength to not let that happen as much, but ECS can also just flat out shoot the ball well and run the court when they need to.   I think ECS beats Charleston, Mayflower, and/or Prescott by 15 points...  As we have all stated throughout the year, #1 in 3A is ECS..... And based on the way they played Sunday, I would venture to say they are probably the best TEAM in the state in all classes....

Parkview and McClellan would probably want to argue that point!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: smallybells on March 09, 2015, 04:01:36 pm
Quote from: hawgsroll on March 09, 2015, 03:42:14 pm

Parkview and McClellan would probably want to argue that point!

McClellan maybe, parkview, not so much after getting beat by pine bluff.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas