• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-2A Week 6 Picks

Started by Ole Man River, October 04, 2015, 11:59:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Man River

The 2nd Week of Conference is over, and things are clearer than mud.  OMR went 4-0 last week, and is 27-4 on the year.  Here's what the Standings look like:
Teams                      Records               Conference              Tie Break Points
1A.  Mt Ida                   5-0                       2-0                          26
1B.  Lafayette County   4-1                        2-0                          26
1C.  Gurdon                 2-3                        2-0                          26
4A.  Spring Hill             4-1                        1-1                          13
4B.  Dierks                   3-2                       1-1                           13
6A.  Murfreesboro         2-3                       0-2                             0
6B.  Foreman               1-4                       0-2                             0
6C.  Mineral Springs     0-4                        0-2                             0

So on to this week's Picks.

Foreman 1-4 (0-2) at Lafayette County 4-1 (2-0)
Foreman lost to Dierks 43-10, while Lafayette County beat Spring Hill 44-16.  LC won last year 20-14.  The Gators are having a hard time this year.  Things will get better for them, once everyone gets well.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, getting someone hurt and having to play kids in different positions is hard.  The Cougars beat the Up and Coming Bears of Spring Hill, and made their way into this year's Play-off.  But that's not going to be good enough for them, they want to be Conference Champs.  OMR is going with Lafayette County 42-20.

Gurdon 2-3 (2-0) at Murfreesboro 2-3 (0-2)
Gurdon beat Mineral Springs 38-22, while Murfreesboro lost to Mount Ida 42-6.  Gurdon won last year 40-12.  Gurdon kept pace with LC and Mt. Ida with their win against the Hornets.  They are getting healthy and improving at the right time of the year.  Things got a little close for them last week, and they don't need for it to this week.  The Rattlers started the year out like gangbusters, but have cooled off.  They have to get things going or might miss out on this year's Play-off.  OMR is going with Gurdon 28-14.

Mount Ida 5-0 (2-0) at Spring Hill 4-1 (1-1)
The Lions beat Murfreesboro 42-6, while Spring Hill lost to Lafayette County 44-16.  Mount Ida won last year 44-14.  The Lions remained Unbeaten by cruising by the Rattlers.  Can anyone slow down this team.  They are still untested, and this is building up to the Show-down with Gurdon and Lafayette County.  The Bears lost their 1st game of the Season, and now it's time to regroup.  These 3 weeks are Murderer's Row (LC, Mount Ida, Gurdon).  If they can survive this, and build from it, they can make it back to the Play-offs.  OMR is going with Mount Ida 42-21.

The 7-2A Game of the Week
Mineral Springs 0-4 (0-2) at Dierks 3-2 (1-1)
The Hornets lost to Gurdon 38-22, while Dierks beat Foreman 43-10.  Dierks won last year 28-18.  The Hornets are getting close to winning their 1st game of the year.  They need to build on last week's performance and keep going forward.  A win here, could improve their chances of playing in the Post-Season.  Oh, I almost forgot, this is the Battle of the Howard County Cup!!!  Talk about a reason to play a football game.  Mineral Springs needs to bring it back to Hornet land.  The Outlaws went into the Swamp and took care of business.  Getting the win helps with the confidence heading into such a big game for more than 1 reason.  Dierks has the weapons, and the Defense to stop the Hornets.  Their running and passing games of the Outlaws are hard to control.  I know, being able to stop anyone with speed is tough, but having the right scheme will help beat the Hornets.  You can bet the "Hollar" will be rocking this Friday night.  I look for both teams to be ready for this one.  Usually the last game of the year for both teams, but because of re-aligning 2 years ago, this has been moved up.  Get there early, cheer loud, and get ready for a (in the Words of Good Ole J. R. Ross) slobberknocker.  OMR is going Dierks 21-18.

So there it is Sport Fans, let me know what you think.  OMR OUT!!!

tacklethis...

I think Dierks will be up for this game...for more reasons than a rivalry game.

Good picks....

Big Boy

Picks look good to me.  I've got LC by 42, Mt. Ida by 35, Gurdon by 18, and Dierks by 8.

hog_wild7777777

October 04, 2015, 06:54:25 pm #3 Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:58:50 pm by hog_wild7777777
If anyone thinks anyone else besides Mt. Ida will win this conference, you have completely lost your brain. No disrespect for any of the other programs, but Mt. Ida is on a whole different level this year, in this conference. I am not saying they are going to win a state title, but there is no one in THIS conference that will hold a candle to them. You can argue all you want, that is what FearlessFriday is for, but you know better. Everyone else is playing for a number 2 seed.

Now do I think they are number one in the state. Absolutely NOT they are good, but not the best. This conference is very weak this year. End of story. 

FilmCrew

Welcome to the board Hog_wild. Where have you been all year? Care to predict State Finals too? Way to make a splash with your first post!

hog_wild7777777

I still thank it is a little to early. In my opinion Mt.Ida has the talent, but they are not going to have any competition until the playoffs. I know I am putting a lot of teams in the 7-2a on blast, but the truth hurts.

GusBrown

BLUEBLOOD

I agree with all the picks.  The scores seem a little too friendly though!! ;D ;D

Mt Ida will score all they want as will Lafayette County and Gurdon.  The only really good matchup in the conference on Friday night will take place in the hollar.  Dierks & MS is an old rivalry with some added elements this season.  Each team has had their streaks of dominating the other BUT neither team is dominating anyone this season.  MS is searching for their first win and Dierks is looking for a quality win. 

I'm "homering" up and taking the Outlaws in a close one, 32-30.  If you can't be there, tune into the radio broadcast.  It should be fun.

NewRecruit

What has happened to Murfreesboro this year? Starting off 1-4 Is not where I thought they would be!

cuz

A good job OMR, a tough conference to predict with the ups and downs. I'm not real sure of Mt Ida being the real deal or not, but time will tell...

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: NewRecruit on October 08, 2015, 11:04:30 am
What has happened to Murfreesboro this year? Starting off 1-4 Is not where I thought they would be!

Well, about Murfreesboro.......they aren't very good offensively....or defensively....or on special teams.

Just a joke!!  Not picking on the Rattlers.  The conference is just a little down in football right now.  After the top 3 teams, the others just aren't as good as they have been in the past few years. 

The Bear

Mount Ida will not give up 21 points to spring hill . Just will not happen . And I agree mount Ida will not see any competition until playoffs

whoknows

Quote from: The Bear on October 08, 2015, 09:09:47 pm
Mount Ida will not give up 21 points to spring hill . Just will not happen . And I agree mount Ida will not see any competition until playoffs

Man this guy cracks me up...absolutely no shame...

The Bear

Just gotta speak the truth ......

fleaflicker24

Quote from: The Bear on October 08, 2015, 09:09:47 pm
Don't underestimate SH or Mt. Ida will leave with their first loss

FilmCrew

October 09, 2015, 07:55:46 am #15 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:02:02 am by FilmCrew
It really doesn't matter if the "Bear" looks over them or not.

I guarantee that Coach White doesn't look over anyone. He prepares his team the same way if he is playing Mountain Pine or Junction City. 

fleaflicker24

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 09, 2015, 07:55:46 am
It really doesn't matter if the "Bear" looks over them or not.

I guarantee that Coach White doesn't look over anyone. He prepares his team the same way if he is playing Mountain Pine or Junction City. 

Great respect for coach White! May be the best coach in 2A! I'm just saying SH is capable of an upset!

whoknows

tcor145

Quote from: hog_wild7777777 on October 04, 2015, 06:54:25 pm
If anyone thinks anyone else besides Mt. Ida will win this conference, you have completely lost your brain. No disrespect for any of the other programs, but Mt. Ida is on a whole different level this year, in this conference. I am not saying they are going to win a state title, but there is no one in THIS conference that will hold a candle to them. You can argue all you want, that is what FearlessFriday is for, but you know better. Everyone else is playing for a number 2 seed.

Now do I think they are number one in the state. Absolutely NOT they are good, but not the best. This conference is very weak this year. End of story.

I can assure you, LC will have tons more talent on the field than mt ida.  I also can assure you that mt ida will not stop Burks.  It won't happen.  LC's defense will need to stiffen up but you need to settle on your enthusiasm right now.  Mt Ida hasn't played anybody yet with a good team.  Gurdon is healing and getting their injured back, and Harville can make your #5 look slow.  Just the truth!!!

dart

Quote from: tcor145 on October 09, 2015, 06:17:00 pm

I can assure you, LC will have tons more talent on the field than mt ida.  I also can assure you that mt ida will not stop Burks.  It won't happen.  LC's defense will need to stiffen up but you need to settle on your enthusiasm right now.  Mt Ida hasn't played anybody yet with a good team.  Gurdon is healing and getting their injured back, and Harville can make your #5 look slow.  Just the truth!!!
Harville must run a 2.0 40 lol

FilmCrew

Talent on the field doesn't mean points on the board. They might not stop Burks but they will slow him down. Who has LC played? Bearden? What was the score of that game? Sounds like they slowed Burks down. Wait, Where is Bearden ranked at? And they slowed Burks? What is the combined record of the teams that LC has played?

gmac

film put the link to the game on here I can't find it

FilmCrew

tcor145

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 09, 2015, 08:09:12 pm

Talent on the field doesn't mean points on the board. They might not stop Burks but they will slow him down. Who has LC played? Bearden? What was the score of that game? Sounds like they slowed Burks down. Wait, Where is Bearden ranked at? And they slowed Burks? What is the combined record of the teams that LC has played?

Well since you asked, I looked it up and LC's opponents combined record tallies 10 wins and 24 losses for a win percentage of 29%  Mt Ida's opponents combined record is 9 wins and 25 losses for 26%.  So all that proves is LC has played statistically better teams by a small fraction.  But the overall picture is that neither one has played any competition. I stand by my earlier statement.

FilmCrew

Boy got me...26% to 29%.

I noticed that you skipped that you got beat by a team ranked in some polls as low as 25. How in the world did they stop Burks?

Then tonight Mount Ida's weak defense holds Spring Hill scoreless... The same team that scored 16 on L/C.

The Bear

LC will not be able to stop mount Ida . They gave up what 30 to Murfreesboro ? And everyone said mount Ida couldn't stop burkes last year , but they did...... And they will in no way shape or form have more talent that MI on the field . Let's just settle that now .

tacklethis...

Did Foreman really deserve getting 67 hung on them???

dart

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 09, 2015, 11:22:42 pm
someone trying to make a statement

Blue

Mt Ida is a excellent team they lost 1 starter off last years team I believe. I also agree Coach White is one of the top coaches in Arkansas 2A football. However when you face teams like Gurdon and LC anything is possible. Aunt Ida is not unbeatable by either of these 2 when you face the type athletes they possess anything is possible.

dart

nukinhawg

My contact said LC played every person on the bench, so...

tacklethis...

Quote from: nukinhawg on October 10, 2015, 12:11:04 am

I would like to see a score by quarters comparison. After the mercy rule is in effect its hard to score alot more points...

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 10, 2015, 03:54:22 am

I would like to see a score by quarters comparison. After the mercy rule is in effect its hard to score alot more points...

Thats a negative. Smackover was up 40-0 at half against Drew central. ALL starters pulled. Final score 54-0. Second string scored the last 14 points.

tacklethis...

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 10, 2015, 05:02:28 am
Quote from: tacklethis... on October 10, 2015, 03:54:22 am

Thats a negative. Smackover was up 40-0 at half against Drew central. ALL starters pulled. Final score 54-0. Second string scored the last 14

I understand that scenario. It may be legit. Needed to be there to know for sure.

Proud Buckaroo

Let me see if I can find the box score anywhere.

outlaws4life26

Maybe LC felt threatened. Foreman scored more points than they had all year since they lost there best player.

tacklethis...

Quote from: outlaws4life26 on October 10, 2015, 09:34:31 am
Maybe LC felt threatened. Foreman scored more points than they had all year since they lost there best player.

Foreman is down, they didnt need this. They have some talent coming. Pay backs are coming....

Proud Buckaroo

What's going to happen to LC when they lose burks this year? #15 is a pretty talented kid and only a junior. But... LC has mostly seniors on the line. I believe.

tacklethis...

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 10, 2015, 10:08:04 am
What's going to happen to LC when they lose burks this year? #15 is a pretty talented kid and only a junior. But... LC has mostly seniors on the line. I believe.

We ran the score up on them in 2013. We let off early when it was reasonable. Started subbing both sides of the ball. They left the first string in and scored on our second string. Then onside kicked. Got it, scored again then attempted another onside kick but we got it. We then unleashed on them again. I think they deserved it that time....

Bigpoppie

Not exactly sure but I don't think burks had more than five carries last night. Lc scored on two punt returns and an int return.

nukinhawg

Just found out Burks Had 4 carries, around 60 yards and 2 td, and the receiver Williams had one receiving td, 2 punt returns, and one interception return for tds. thats "42" points with the marque players in 8 plays. Doesn't sound like an attempt to run up the score to me if they only get 8, especially the Burks with only 4 touches, coupled with very few pass attempts (sorry didn't get a number on that but was told it was low). Sounds like Foreman just couldn't stop them very well.   

I wasn't there and don't know the coaches motives, and I'm not about rubbing it in, but you do your backups no good if you don't drive them to succeed. You also cheat them as people. Or should we pass out "participation trophies" to those that aren't the starters by telling them to go out and "fall on it" every play?

Just my thoughts.

tacklethis...

Quote from: nukinhawg on October 10, 2015, 04:48:29 pm
Just found out Burks Had 4 carries, around 60 yards and 2 td, and the receiver Williams had one receiving td, 2 punt returns, and one interception return for tds. thats "42" points with the marque players in 8 plays. Doesn't sound like an attempt to run up the score to me if they only get 8, especially the Burks with only 4 touches, coupled with very few pass attempts (sorry didn't get a number on that but was told it was low). Sounds like Foreman just couldn't stop them very well.   

I wasn't there and don't know the coaches motives, and I'm not about rubbing it in, but you do your backups no good if you don't drive them to succeed. You also cheat them as people. Or should we pass out "participation trophies" to those that aren't the starters by telling them to go out and "fall on it" every play?

Just my thoughts.

It could have been legit. They should enjoy it because it will be short lived....

Bigpoppie

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 10, 2015, 10:08:04 am

Lc has two srs starting on line.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas