• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet cove

Started by beaverfan007, October 03, 2015, 07:44:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beaverfan007

What happened to mc against poyen and when will they make a coaching change???

Hornet4ever

I don't see a need for a coaching change... Can a team not have a down year? MC hasn't done bad in the past...? Maybe they have a lot of youth.

Cheek

October 03, 2015, 08:18:21 pm #2 Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:26:08 pm by Cheek
Quote from: Hornet4ever on October 03, 2015, 08:13:00 pm
I don't see a need for a coaching change... Can a team not have a down year? MC hasn't done bad in the past...? Maybe they have a lot of youth.

Why would you change Coaches.  I think he is well respected and does a good job.

lionfan59

Agree with Cheek and an Hornet on this one.

N2DEEP

MC has had a few coaching issues that have affected their team this year. Coach Webb recently lost his mom, and we added a new coach to the staff who has a different offensive strategy.

As I watch our boys they play hard, but are put in bad situations at times by our coaches. During the Poyen game, Poyen always onside kicked, yet MC was never put into hands team mode, always just a normal setup and this caused atleast 1 turnover. Also the defense lineup still confuses me. During the Haskell game we used larger inside def lineman, yet vs Poyen a team that runs the read option we used smaller lineman and it showed by our lack of holding the middle ground. i thought in the second half we would change, but they just stayed the course and it hurt them.

On offense we have been hurt by Tyner and Smeltzer being hurt. Smeltzer is not hitting the hole with authority he is tip toeing too much and I can only guess it is due to his injury, and Tyner just got back and it will take a few games to get into a groove. Dunlap has ran the ball well and seems to have the most heart of anyone on offense. Our passing attack is lacking due to a passing game based upon location passes instead of true quaterback reads. When a play is called the pas looks to be going to a specific spot instead of getting what the defense is giving and we tend to force throws causing too many int's from Wade.

In class 2A you need that 1 or 2 players that stand out above the rest and we just do not have that. We do not have that goto guy on offense or that superb defensive stopper. The first half against Haskell was about as good as they could play as a team.

The players coming up are ok, but nothing overly outstanding. Our three biggest guys in 9th grade don't play football (including my son 6'6" 285 lbs) and that frustrates me as a dad and overall hurts a team in the future. But we will only succeed if we play as a team. overall for the coaches we need stability, trust me getting new coaches each year sucked and our play showed it when I was in school.

Also could we get someone at MC to teach kicking, ever since I was in school it has bothered me that we never kicked fieldgoals. I only got 2 tries when I played. heck they probably still use the shoe I did when I was there lol.

SR30

I totally agree with N2Deep..MC has had great success in years past. However after so many years of running the same plays coaches memorize the scheme and know what's coming. Injuries have plagued MC this year for sure but a lack of commitment in the weight room shows. I do know this new coach has taken over the weight program and it is getting better. Having kids in the wrong position is a big thing to. I know Smeltzer has always ran the ball, however he is probably the biggest on the team and could really be useful blocking, but that is just my opinion. MC will survive and overcome this adversity. There are a few good skill kids coming up from 9th grade. However they will still be lacking lineman on both sides of the ball. My son attended MC up until this year and would have been a freshman. I was approached about him moving up to play the line on the HS team. So you know when you trying to bump freshman up to hs you are in trouble. I will always have my panther pride and hope they finish the year off well.

big lefty

One down year is not a reason to change coaches, unless people are not happy with other aspects of the program.

Rida4Life

Let's not forget this isn't Texas and you don't just fire coaches for not winning. 
I think if Cove fans will look objectively at their program they should be pleased with the results they get.
They don't have a ton of athletes but they play hard and are well coached more often than not. As someone else said, key injuries have hurt them this year. 
They are a good program just having a down year.  Keep supporting your kids and your coaches and it will get better.

N2DEEP

True, but before Efird was there we were in 3A playing Jessieville, Ftn lake, Glen Rose, Bismarck, and Bauxite. The move to Class 2A definately fit MC better and came at the right time.

Main thing for me as a Dad is seeing the boys get better. My boy is in 7th grade but atleast when I watch games from 7th up to Sr ball the boys are not giving up and trying to get better.

Bagheera

Efird's first three years at Magnet Cove were in 3A and they beat Jessieville, Bauxite, and Bismarck during that time as well as making it to the second round of the playoffs one of those years so Im not sure your argument is valid N2DEEP.  You do have some great ideas though.  You should have a meeting with the coaches and teach them a thing or two.  ::)  and SR30 please tell us more about your All Star son.  You hardly ever mention him.   ;D  Ill admit I had high hopes for this group coming into the season only having lost two senior starters.  It is easy to question the coaching when things aren't going well.  The fact is MC has a very young line that will benefit them in the future but right now they are just not ready.  Having 1 lineman with Friday night experience is tough.  Injuries have plagued the Panthers as well.  In a perfect world lineman would block correctly, no one would get injured, and we would be undefeated.  But that's why we don't give everyone a trophy.  I stand behind these coaches and trust that they will turn things around.  Heck its only half way through the season.  A lot of football left to be played. 

CoachBates

Very good post Bagheera.  I spend a lot of time scouting other teams and I can tell you that Magnet is as well prepared and as fundamentally sound as any team we see all year.  That coaching staff does a great job getting their young men ready to play.  Best of luck the rest of the season from PC!

SR30

Bagheera my son is doing awesome in 3A now he has been moved off the line and us playing middle linebacker.. he is learning that spot but it all came together last night. He had 8 tackles with several for loss. He is by far the hardest hitter in the team. On offense he was moved from tackle to guard because of his speed. Let's just say he averages several short stacks of pancakes each game. I will always love my panthers and support them. I just don't get on the 2A board as much. I have my own opinion of the staff at MC and that is due to some personal issues. Efird and his staff have done great work. N2Deep can verify the validity of my son's playing ad his oldest son and mine have grown up together. We just needed a new direction for better opportunities

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas