• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas HS Football Team to Play First Ever Home Game

Started by Wess Moore, September 30, 2015, 11:56:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wess Moore

There's something different about Friday's in the fall.  It's game day!  The electricity can be felt from the field house to the high school and all thru out the community.  Home games are even better.  The chance to play at your home stadium, defend your turf, and play in front of your fans makes it day circled on the schedule.

One Arkansas high school football team is finally getting to experience a home game.  After playing the entire 2014 season and the first three games of 2015 on the road the Midland Mustangs in Pleasant Plains will play their first ever home game Friday night against East Poinsett County.  Midland head coach Tim Pugh  said, "I'm just trying to get them calmed down so we can play a game."

Midland fielded a varsity team for the first time in 2014. The Mustangs picked up their first ever victory against Rector 30-22 on October 17, 2014. 

The Mustangs have been building a program while also building a home venue.  This week the community is putting the finishing touches on its field.  It's been a labor of love for many.  More than 50 people showed up last Saturday to help with last minute projects.  The scoreboard company was at Midland high Tuesday.  Parents put together bleachers this week.  Pugh said, "I want people to experience what Friday night football feels like.  There will be some people in the community who will attend their first football game Friday night."

Nine years ago the Midland school district faced financial distress.  Today the school is in much better standing.  The community stepped up to save the school and now they're doing the same thing to build a football program.  Friday night the hard work will be rewarded with a big tailgate party and a football atmosphere that's never been seen in Pleasant Plains.  Pugh said, "Friday nights are so unique.  There's nothing like it when the lights come on."

As you can imagine the excitement is spilling over onto the team.  Pugh said, "A lot of excitement!  They are pretty pumped, pretty amped.  It's going to be nice to not get on a bus."  The Mustangs will have three other home games in 2015 against Rector, Cross County, and Salem.

Things are looking up for the Midland Mustangs.  The numbers are up on the team.  Last year they finished the Rector game with 14 players.  Several times in 2014 they finished the game with just eleven players.  Pugh said, "Still a long ways from where we want to be."

But on Friday night there's no other place the Mustangs would rather be.  They are home making history!

Wess Moore 09/30/15

Hornet4ever

bigworm

yes. congrats. the community will really enjoy Friday nights at home.

mtindian42

Old Scrapper

Ventman

CURLEYWOLF24

Finally something positive posted on Fearless Friday.  Great job to the community of Midland.  Go Mustangs!!!!

beach bum

September 30, 2015, 01:16:21 pm #7 Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:18:03 pm by beach bum
Great job... you usually hear stories down in 2A headed the opposite direction with not having enough kids and losing a program.. You would love to see a few schools break through like this along with them.

Wess Moore

Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on September 30, 2015, 01:07:12 pm
Finally something positive posted on Fearless Friday.  Great job to the community of Midland.  Go Mustangs!!!!

I will be writing more stories like this over the next few weeks.  Feel free to pass along any good stories.  You can email me at wmoore@fox16.com or send me a DM.

MomaLion

dragondad

curtain caller

Keep those heads up Midland! Always glad to see the 2A doing big things! I think the atmosphere at the smaller schools is much more electric than the bigger ones. Not taking away from the bigger class schools, but small towns usually come together in a big way. I'd personally like to see the Marvell school district be able to pull themselves up by the boot straps and encourage their kids to play. I think there starting that now, or seem to be. Good luck Friday night boys! Keep the 2A alive!!

lionfan59

JimmyTiger2001

I'd love to see Marvell win a game. As long as it isn't against Brinkley

HorseFeathers

Quote from: JimmyTiger2001 on September 30, 2015, 08:37:13 pm

P/W is a good victim...

WPWells

BoogieMan27

Congrats to Midland! Best of Luck this year and hopes for a bright future.

Mustang Fan

Something these seniors really deserve and want really bad. Can't wait til the lights come on Friday night. Go Mustangs!!

big E

Quote from: HF on September 30, 2015, 09:19:32 pm
Quote from: JimmyTiger2001 on September 30, 2015, 08:37:13 pm

P/W is a good victim...

We will find out next week.Good job Midland.

Coach Booneville

Congrats to Midland!  Good luck this season.  Tear it up!

MustangMomma1

My Mustangs didn't win on the score board but they are winners in my heart!!  The atmosphere was AMAZING!!!  Crowded bleachers and lots standing!  These boys deserved a home field along with their fabulous coaches who have worked so very hard for this!!!  Can't wait to experience many more Friday Nights under our own lights!!!!  Love my Mustangs!!!!!

Mr. Trill

jazdill

Mustang Fan

It was a great experience for the town of Pleasant Plains. There was tailgating going on all day. And the town responded by filling the stands and cheering for the boys on every play.  Can't wait for the next home game!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas