• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-2A Picks for Week 5

Started by Ole Man River, September 27, 2015, 06:43:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Man River

The Conference got off to a Big Bang last week.  OMR went 3-1 in the Week and is 23-4 on the Year.  So on to this Week's Picks.

Mineral Springs 0-3 (0-1) at Gurdon 1-3 (1-0)
Mineral Springs lost to Mount Ida 41-0, while Gurdon beat Dierks 32-13.  Gurdon won last year 52-2.  The Hornets continue to struggle.  Starting out with Mount Ida, then getting Gurdon.  If there is a silver lining in the lost to the Lions, they held them under their 56 Points Per Game.  The Go-Devils broke out of their losing streak in a big way.  Going to "the Hollar" and coming out with a win.  This week at home against a hurting Hornets team, things could get ugly.  OMR is going with Gurdon 48-14.

Murfreesboro 2-2 (0-1) at Mount Ida 4-0 (1-0)
The Rattlers lost to Lafayette County 60-38, while Mount Ida beat Mineral Springs 41-0.  Mount Ida won last year 42-14.  The Rattlers could not control the speed of LC, and therefore got in a track meet with them.  Speed shouldn't be a big problem this week, but ball control will.  Scoring 38 points last week, would beat a lot of teams, but not the fast Cougar team.  Mount Ida cruised to win #4 last week, and kept pace to keep their shot at winning the Conference.  The have got a little bit of a challenge with Murfreesboro this week.  Needs a win here this week to keep up with Gurdon.  OMR is going with Mount Ida 41-28.

Dierks 2-2 (0-1) at Foreman 1-3 (0-1)
The Outlaws lost to Gurdon 32-13, while Foreman lost to Spring Hill 41-0.  Dierks won last year 33-21.  The Outlaws got hit with a buzz saw last week.  Gurdon came in with a vengence and left with the win.  Now the Outlaws need to regroup and get ready for the rest of their schedule.  Playing Foreman this week will get that confidence back.  The Gators are really hurting this year.  The injury to Mr. Hall has taking a toll on them.  Thrusting a back-up into the starting role will only take time to get used to the flow of the game.  Playing the mad Outlaws this week is not a good challenge.  OMR is going with Dierks 35-14.

The 7-2A Game of the Week
Lafayette County 3-1 (1-0) at Spring Hill 4-0 (1-0)
LC beat Murfreesboro 60-38, while Spring Hill beat Foreman 41-0.  Lafayette County won last year 6-0.  The Cougars took care of business last week behind over 280 yards from Mr Burks.  His counter parts also had big games.  Speed, Speed, Speed.  If you can't run with the Cougars, then it's going to be a long night.  Running the power game with Burks, running the sweeps, and passing is killing teams.  It's going to take teams with good ball control and a little speed themselves to keep LC from putting up Playstation Numbers.  The Bears are surprising everyone in the Conference.  What a big turn around.  Coach Carter has his players playing like the Bears of Old.  Getting the victories and doing it with Pride.  The Bears are taking advantage of mistakes from other teams and turning them into good fortune for them.  Mr. Crow has taking this team on his shoulders every week.  Breaking runs and keeping the Chains moving.  The help he is getting from his defense is making winning fun again.  This week is a Huge Challenge.  They have yet to face speed like this week.  Finding a breaking point in the Cougars will be the formula to a win.  The winner keeps pace with Mount Ida and Gurdon, and also a spot in this year's Play-offs.  OMR is going with Lafayette County 28-27.

So there it is Sport Fans, let me know what you think.  OMR OUT!!!

Cheek

MI will win the conference with ease.

tcor145

Lafayette County will win conference with ease

swarfan

Cheek and tcor.....you guys both seem to be discounting Gurdon.  They may have started off slow but they are getting healthy and will give MI and LC all they want.  Looking forward to those games.  Also, I wouldn't count out Spring Hill just yet.

tacklethis...

The only team has played any good opponents is Gurdon...

Mt Ida hasn't played anyone, and neither has Springhill or LC. Not one quality win in this entire conference....

strongandsteady

Winner will be Spring Hill 19-14

The Bear

Maybe mount Ida and no one else has played tough teams like Gurdon but mount Ida isn't just beating teams there demolishing them . I'm very surprised in there explosiveness this year . I think MI takes conference with LC and Gurdon not far behind . This is a at least quarter final team

FilmCrew

Mount Ida has a win over Danville, they were in the top 10 before that lost.

tacklethis...

Quote from: FilmCrew on September 28, 2015, 10:29:31 pm
Mount Ida has a win over Danville, they were in the top 10 before that lost.

Ok, I will give you a quality win over 1-3 Danville....

hogfan32

I'd say a road victory over Parkers chapel (2-2) who beat bearden, who beat LC, is a decent W for the Bears.

The Bear

I agree . Yet I think mount Ida is a very very good team it won't be until the last two weeks that they prove there self . But I look for them to just do that ! Like I said before this is a quarterfinal team as long as players stay healthy

Cheek

Quote from: The Bear on September 29, 2015, 11:57:50 am
I agree . Yet I think mount Ida is a very very good team it won't be until the last two weeks that they prove there self . But I look for them to just do that ! Like I said before this is a quarterfinal team as long as players stay healthy

I have been really impressed with MI. They have a good line and backfield.   It will take a quality team to beat them this year.  That No. 5 is the real deal and can roll.  MI could easily be in the finals.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: hogfan32 on September 29, 2015, 10:07:23 am
I'd say a road victory over Parkers chapel (2-2) who beat bearden, who beat LC, is a decent W for the Bears.

Bearden isn't the same team as you think. Bearden is light years away from being the Bearden team they used to be. Beating PC is just weird. Those lost to Strong. An 0-3 team at the time.

whoknows

Thanks again OMR...think the Hogs have a chance against Tennessee?

Ole Man River

They've always got a chance.  It's just will they take advantage of that chance

Hornet4ever

Quote from: whoknows on October 02, 2015, 12:27:31 am
Thanks again OMR...think the Hogs have a chance against Tennessee?

We have a chance. The game should be interesting, hence the fact that neither team knows how to finish. The ole Hogs give me a head ache on Sunday mornings...

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: tacklethis... on September 28, 2015, 07:01:03 pm

Mt Ida hasn't played anyone, and neither has Springhill or LC. Not one quality win in this entire conference....

I agree.  This conference still has a lot to prove.  I think Mt Ida is a pretty good team but they are giving up too many points.

tacklethis...

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on October 02, 2015, 08:06:46 am

I agree.  This conference still has a lot to prove.  I think Mt Ida is a pretty good team but they are giving up too many points.

Mt Ida is a good team. They have a chance to win some playoff games. And they are the best coached team in the conference...hands down...

FilmCrew

They have out scored their opponents 209-38...So, that comes out to 9.5 points per game. They have shut out 2 teams... Exactly what is to many points?? I think most teams in the state wish they had these kinds of stats.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 02, 2015, 12:49:58 pm

They have out scored their opponents 209-38...So, that comes out to 9.5 points per game. They have shut out 2 teams... Exactly what is to many points?? I think most teams in the state wish they had these kinds of stats.

My point was first:  Mt Ida is a good team.  How good?  Nobody knows yet.
Second point:  giving up 10 pts a game to 4 teams who are combined 2-13 (Danville, Magazine, Mt Pine & Mineral Springs).  If they are a "track meet" team, then they aren't as good as some think.  If they can shut down other "good" teams, then maybe they make a deep run in playoffs.

I believe Mt Ida will win a weaker than usual 7-2A conference this year.  LC would love to have a "track meet" game with them.  Gurdon has one of the best 2A players in the state and I'm sure they would like to see who can score the most.

FilmCrew

I agree with Most of your points.

BUT, Danville was the only team that really put points on the board against their first team. 14 of the 32 points was scored against Mt Ida's second string. Magazine didn't score against the first team as well. So, if you take that into consideration they have only gave up 18 points this year against their first string.

Again, I agree with you they should have won all of these games. I am wondering the same thing you are. Will they be able to stop the better teams in the 7-2A.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 02, 2015, 01:53:06 pm
I agree with Most of your points.

BUT, Danville was the only team that really put points on the board against their first team. 14 of the 32 points was scored against Mt Ida's second string. Magazine didn't score against the first team as well. So, if you take that into consideration they have only gave up 18 points this year against their first string.

Again, I agree with you they should have won all of these games. I am wondering the same thing you are. Will they be able to stop the better teams in the 7-2A.

Time will tell.  Judging from the scores, they are fun to watch!!

The_Devils_Advocate

The_Devil_Himself sees that Filmcrew is at it again.
;D

The_Devils_Advocate

Just say it. "You're right. Mt. Ida has played nothing but ninnies." It's kinda like,"Everyone good that Gurdon has played beat the crap out of them."

The truth. It's almost liberating.

GusBrown

October 02, 2015, 10:02:55 pm #24 Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:07:00 pm by GusBrown
Quote from: tacklethis... on October 02, 2015, 12:26:51 pm

Mt Ida is a good team. They have a chance to win some playoff games. And they are the best coached team in the conference...hands down...
The best...after Gurdon. Gurdon has won the conference 3 of 4 years since Jackson arrived.

whoknows

What was the final in the Mt Ida and Gurdon games?

whoknows

Gurdon mostly wins conference because they out athlete the other schools...doesn't take good coaching to just hand the ball off to Harvill and let him run for 80 yards...now on the defensive side of the ball it takes a little more coaching...but you can still just have better athletes and beat someone no matter the coaching...

G-HIGH

Anyone ever seen a team kick off at the start of the game and at the start of the second half?
Gurdon did tonight and no one but the fans and the guys in the press box seemed to notice. Oh well.

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 02, 2015, 10:02:55 pm

Mt Ida is a good team. They haCreate an account or log into Facebook. Connect with friends, family and other people you know. Share...
ve a chance to win some playoff games. And they are the best coached team in the conference...hands down...
The best...after Gurdon. Gurdon has won the conference 3 of 4 years since Jackson arrived.

No, I wouldn't even put you second on the list in the coaching category in this conference.

whoknows

Quote from: G-HIGH on October 02, 2015, 10:48:39 pm
Anyone ever seen a team kick off at the start of the game and at the start of the second half?
Gurdon did tonight and no one but the fans and the guys in the press box seemed to notice. Oh well.

Yeah I've seen it happen a few times

The Bear

Actually mount Ida can score with absolutely anyone in 2A I'm not real convinced that they can be stopped at all offensively . But defensively they still have a flaw or two . Still a very solid defense . Having to play a tenth grader in secondary and a couple D lineman who aren't quite up to the speed of the game yet hurt them . But in the 7-2A they win conference easily . Who knows they might be at the rock here soon . Very good team over all

tacklethis...

October 03, 2015, 08:27:02 am #31 Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:11:41 am by tacklethis...
Quote from: The Bear on October 02, 2015, 11:12:49 pm
Actually mount Ida can score with absolutely anyone in 2A I'm not real convinced that they can be stopped at all offensively . But defensively they still have a flaw or two . Still a very solid defense . Having to play a tenth grader in secondary and a couple D lineman who aren't quite up to the speed of the game yet hurt them . But in the 7-2A they win conference easily . Who knows they might be at the rock here soon . Very good team over all

Alot of ball left to be played, you have over looked your toughest games to come and you still haven't played anyone....

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 02, 2015, 11:03:20 pm

Mt Ida is a good team. They haCreate an account or log into Facebook. Connect with friends, family and other people you know. Share...
ve a chance to win some playoff games. And they are the best coached team in the conference...hands down...

No, I wouldn't even put you second on the list in the coaching category in this conference.
Guy comes from the Nashville coaching tree, and has owned the conference since he got to Gurdon. Just shows what you know.

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 11:26:17 am

Guy comes from the Nashville coaching tree, and has owned the conference since he got to Gurdon. Just shows what you know.

I really wouldn't brag about receiving a product of Nashville coaching....show what you know....

The Bear

Coach Jackson at Gurdon and coach white from mount Ida are two of the best in 2A believe what you want that's truth

tacklethis...

Quote from: The Bear on October 03, 2015, 11:56:37 am
Coach Jackson at Gurdon and coach white from mount Ida are two of the best in 2A believe what you want that's truth

You will see next season....when the talent runs dry at Gurdon they will throw Jackson under the bus....

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 03, 2015, 12:03:31 pm

You will see next season....when the talent runs dry at Gurdon they will throw Jackson under the bus....
....📝....

GusBrown

October 03, 2015, 12:12:44 pm #37 Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:20:01 pm by GusBrown
Quote from: tacklethis... on October 03, 2015, 11:55:01 am
Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 11:26:17 am

I really wouldn't brag about receiving a product of Nashville coaching....show what you know....
Nashville has won at least 10 games 8 of the last 10 years in 4A and state how many times? Their coaches must be awful.

GusBrown

+1

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 12:16:30 pm
+1

And 4 out of 4 seasons Gurdon has lost  in the second round of the playoffs....

The only active coach still in our conference to get into the third round in the time Gurdon has been so dominate is at M Boro....

The Bear

Oh my goodness the fact that your even bringing up Murfreesboro is hilarious . White and Jackson takes teams that most years have numbers of 20 or less and make a conference champ or runner up out of them .

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 03, 2015, 12:50:43 pm
Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 12:16:30 pm
+1

And 4 out of 4 seasons Gurdon has lost  in the second round of the playoffs....

The only active coach still in our conference to get into the third round in the time Gurdon has been so dominate is at M Boro....
Gurdon went to the 3rd round in Jacksons first season (2011 as DC) and lost to the state runner ups 13-12.

The_Devils_Advocate

The_Devil_Himself is loving all this strife. :-*

tacklethis...

Quote from: The Bear on October 03, 2015, 12:57:51 pm
Oh my goodness the fact that your even bringing up Murfreesboro is hilarious . White and Jackson takes teams that most years have numbers of 20 or less and make a conference champ or runner up out of them .

I think if you were smart enough to read you would see that I already said White was the best coach in the conference...hands down...

I really dont understand why you continue to argue with a statement I made before you did....

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 03, 2015, 05:26:56 pm

I think if you were smart enough to read you would see that I already said White was the best coach in the conference...hands down...

I really dont understand why you continue to argue with a statement I made before you did....
....after Jackson.

The Bear

Just making sure its understood

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 09:50:18 pm

....after Jackson.

If Jackson is so good why did he?

Have Harville in the game in the last 3 minutes running the wildcat in a non conference blow out loss? 39 carries in that game and every one in the second have were worthless. You knew you couldn't win that game at that point. Very smart to get Jackie hurt in a game that doesn't matter while getting the crap beat out of you. He didn't get hurt but could have...how would your season look now if he did?

Second point, we at Dierks certainly appreciate the fact that he only touched the ball 1 time in your first 3 drives..in a game that did matter!!!.He never ran a jet sweep or outside at any point in that game. After Fouke sweeped us to death the week before.

So I guess if that is the characteristics of a good coach, one who came from the pool of Nashville coaching gods, man it's easy to be the best coach in this league!

The Bear

Jackson knows his players first of all . And he knows he needs every snap with the starters to get this team where it needs to be come play off time . Best I remember Gurdon beat dierks so he must have been calling something right .

mtindian42

Maybe your coaches edited all those sweeps out of the game film...and only sent Gurdon the plays that Dierks shut down...😀 Just messing with you tackelthis

The_Devils_Advocate

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 04, 2015, 08:18:17 am
Quote from: GusBrown on October 03, 2015, 09:50:18 pm

....after Jackson.

If Jackson is so good why did he?

Have Harville in the game in the last 3 minutes running the wildcat in a non conference blow out loss? 39 carries in that game and every one in the second have were worthless. You knew you couldn't win that game at that point. Very smart to get Jackie hurt in a game that doesn't matter while getting the crap beat out of you. He didn't get hurt but could have...how would your season look now if he did?

Second point, we at Dierks certainly appreciate the fact that he only touched the ball
1 time in your first 3 drives..in a game that did matter!!!.He never ran a jet sweep or outside at any point in that game. After Fouke sweeped us to death the week before.

So I guess if that is the characteristics of a good coach, one who came from the pool of Nashville coaching gods, man it's easy to be the best coach in this league!

The_Devil_Himself says,"First of all, Prescott is not just another non-conference game. Ever. Secondly, has it occurred to you that Jackson sought to establish his other weapons knowing full well he had at least a half dozen aces of spades in his hand? Sometimes you throw your lesser cards first and save your trump cards for later if you're trying to catch ten tricks for 200 points."

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas