• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible 5A Realignment for 2012-2014 cycle

Started by sevenof400, June 17, 2011, 09:53:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

June 17, 2011, 09:53:52 pm Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:13:32 am by sevenof400
I know we have one more season of the current alignment to play, but since realignment is all the rage right now, here is how the 5A might shake out in the next realignment.

5A Soccer Conferences for the 2010-2012 cycle

5A West (6)
Siloam Springs, Harrison, Greenwood, Greenbrier, Huntsville, Morrilton

5A East (5)
Batesville, Vilonia, Nettleton, Paragould, GCT

5A SouthWest (5)
HS Lakeside, CAC, Hope, Hot Springs, Arkadelphia

5A SouthEast (6)
LR Christian, White Hall, LR Mills, Sylvan Hills, Monticello (boys only), North Pulaski

Projecting for the 2012-2014 cycle

5A West (5/6)
Clarksville, Harrison, Shiloh Christian (girls only), Greenbrier, Huntsville, Morrilton

5A East (5)
Batesville, Vilonia, Nettleton, Paragould, GCT

5A SouthWest (6)
HS Lakeside, DeQueen, Hope, Hot Springs, Arkadelphia, LR Christian

5A SouthEast (6)
White Hall, LR Mills, Sylvan Hills, Pul Academy, North Pulaski, Jacksonville

arksoc

Makes a lot of sense. But if the AAA follows the logic they used for the current cycle, they'll leave Christian in the SE and put PA in the SW. The fact that LRCA is further west of I-430 earns them the 2-3 mile shorter drive to the most of the SE schools. This was the thinking that got them moved to the SE and CAC moved from the E to the SW.

Arbitro

You left Monticello out of the SE.  Would that possibly put Jacksonville in the East?

Sir Alex

Quote from: Arbitro on June 17, 2011, 11:07:38 pm
You left Monticello out of the SE.  Would that possibly put Jacksonville in the East?

Monticello is moving to the 4A.  Shiloh petitioned to play 5A, so that left the smallest 5A (Monticello) moving down....

sevenof400

June 18, 2011, 10:27:00 am #4 Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:30:48 am by sevenof400
If, for some reason, Shiloh does NOT get their petition to move approved, that could cause some interesting ripples....

Just for the fun of it, if Shiloh stays 4A and Monticello stays 5A, that will make an overload in the SE or SW.  This could mean Vilonia moves back to the west and Jacksonville to the east.  Way too m any possibilities right now.....

Arbitro

Quote from: Sir Alex on June 18, 2011, 07:16:45 am
Quote from: Arbitro on June 17, 2011, 11:07:38 pm

Monticello is moving to the 4A.  Shiloh petitioned to play 5A, so that left the smallest 5A (Monticello) moving down....
Interesting.  Shiloh's numbers from the reclassification table (http://ahsaa.org/docs/2012-2014%20Reclass%20Report.pdf) show them with 2A attendance bumped up to 3A, and they want to jump two more classifications.  For football I assume, but do they field that competitive of teams in other sports as well?

sevenof400

In looking at the school directory on the AAA website, it appears that Shiloh Christian only has girls soccer, not boys.  With respect to your question Arbitro, I suspect SC should be able to field a pretty good team given their location and proximity to the NWA club team.  This year, SC made the semis in 4A before losing 1-0 to PA. 

Gametime11

Let's say this realignment does take place. Does this mean than the 5A SE will almost be given to WH and PA? Not sure on how good J'Ville is.

sevenof400

Quote from: Gametime11 on June 23, 2011, 02:59:24 pm
Let's say this realignment does take place. Does this mean than the 5A SE will almost be given to WH and PA? Not sure on how good J'Ville is.

I wouldn't discount Sylvan Hills in that conference - they had a better year than Jacksonville and I think SH has a bit brighter of a future for next year anyway (not sure beyond that though)....

When realignment comes (and assuming my guess is correct), the power conference should be the SW.  A lot of time until that happens though....

Gametime11

So would these changes affect the next soccer season, 2011-2012, or the one after that, the 2012-2013 season?

sevenof400

The soccer season to be played in spring 2012 will be the same as it was this year.

Any realignment changes would not occur for soccer until spring 2013.

sevenof400

May 14, 2012, 02:18:10 pm #11 Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:26:18 pm by sevenof400
Now that we have some info available to us from AAA, let's revisit this topic and see if some additional conclusions can be drawn.

Actual 5A Conferences for the 2012-2014 cycle

5A West:
Alma, Clarksville, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Shiloh Christian, Vilonia

5A East
Batesville, Beebe, Blytheville, Forest City, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Wynne

5A South
Camden Fairview, DeQueen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Magnolia, Watson Chapel, White Hall

5A Central
Jacksonville, LR Christian, LR McClellan, LR Mills, North Pulaski, Pulaski Academy, Sylvan Hills, West Helena

Now, dropping the schools that do NOT have soccer (or at least, did NOT have soccer in 2012) leaves:

5A West: (6 boys / 7 girls schools)
Alma, Clarksville, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Shiloh Christian (girls only), Vilonia

5A East (4 boys / 4 girls schools)
Batesville, Beebe, Blytheville, Forest City, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Wynne

5A South (5 boys / 5 girls schools)
Camden Fairview, DeQueen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Magnolia, Watson Chapel, White Hall

5A Central (7 boys / 6 girls schools)
Jacksonville, LR Christian, LR McClellan (boys only), LR Mills, North Pulaski, Pulaski Academy, Sylvan Hills, West Helena

Total schools: 22 boys / 22 girls schools

Assuming these schools will still have soccer teams as noted above, this is the starting point from AAA will have to make conference determinations for the 2012-2014 cycle in soccer. 
So how do you logically regroup these 22 schools?

5A West:
Clarksville, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Shiloh Christian (girls only)

5A East:
Batesville, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Vilonia, Jacksonville

5A SouthWest:
DeQueen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, LR Christian

5A SouthEast:
LR McClellan (boys only), LR Mills, North Pulaski, Pulaski Academy, White Hall, Sylvan Hills

This is a shot at it - can anyone see any issues with this? 

User870

I think one of the conferences should look like this:

LRCA
CAC
PA
Catholic/MSM
Shiloh
Episcopal
etc...

You get my point. 

hogbert

sevenof400

Absolutely, User870!

On a somewhat related note, since CAC is going back to 4A next year, that is going to make for some interesting effects for next year in both 5A and 4A in terms of competition.

coach cleats

Why is it stupid? I thought in soccer one would always want to play the best  teams?

Fan123

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 15, 2012, 08:52:35 am
Absolutely, User870!

On a somewhat related note, since CAC is going back to 4A next year, that is going to make for some interesting effects for next year in both 5A and 4A in terms of competition.

Please don't say you agree with user870.  I had hoped you as a moderator of this site would also be one to promote high school soccer in a manner to improve it and keep Arkansas moving forward in the sport.  Not tear it apart just to ensure only certain schools could win. 

coach cleats

If there was a conference in Arkansas with the above mentioned teams college coaches would come to recruit.

Soccerhog

Quote from: coach cleats on May 15, 2012, 12:58:53 pm
If there was a conference in Arkansas with the above mentioned teams college coaches would come to recruit.

Another conversation for another thread...But you just really don't get it.

hogbert

It's not the competition at all, heck playing some of these schools who treat soccer as an after thought is just plain painful. It's the "let's segregate the private schools" knuckle daggers that just get old. 

coach cleats

Heck I would send my kid to play in that league. I'd even pay tutition. It would be almost as good as playing in region 3 premiere league.

Go Postal

May 18, 2012, 07:16:17 pm #21 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:55:19 pm by Go Postal
I don't want to get into a battle on the topic of private vs public schools separate conferences.  I don't want to discuss how private schools "might" get better coaching/facilities/training than public schools, etc.  I don't want to discuss club vs high school can make an athlete a better player.

The West (I believe) and locally (Harrison), don't usually get to play private schools until playoffs, but with the realignment the West gets Shiloh Christian girls, 5A loses CAC and gains PA back.  That will be interesting and finally Siloam Springs (and Greenwood) will be moving up, very interesting.

I can say that that over the last decade, that there has been some great teams that beat Harrison boys/girls in the playoffs (Semifinals, I believe) and yes, maybe most of them have been private schools.  (Sir Alex can put in the stats).  But I have noticed over the years that when your team loses to a better team (private or public) that you strive to better your team.  What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Move on to the next game/season.  A great team like Siloam Springs Panthers previous years (since '06), last year and this year for instance.  I have seen, over the years, lower ranked boy/girl teams in our conference play against us like it was a championship game, no matter the score.  I think other conferences have seen this also.

What I want to say is how I admire both private and public school boy/girl athletes on their passion for the game.  How they keep coming back to play soccer in their high school years.  I think that this "new" sport for America and Arkansas is finally getting more attention than "other sports".  I saw a quote from sevenof400, "The times are a changing" and it is about dang time.  Good Luck to all soccer teams from Arkansas, now and in the future.
PLAY ON

Side note:  Speaking on a players passion for this sport, I plugged a video earlier in the season, I think I should post it once again at the end of the season.  Great headcam.

hogbert

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas