• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norphlet

Started by HorseFeathers, December 02, 2013, 08:49:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Guy on 3A board has posted that he heard a rumor that nOrphlet is consolidating with Smackover next year...just wondering if there's any truth in this.

THA TRUTH

It has been talke about a good bit around here prolly woulda happend a few years back but norph wanted smack to change colors and mascot so that delayed it some

Bearden_Bear72

They are really not 15 miles down the road.  If being discussed I wouldnt doubt it at all.  As many leaving for the Eldorado Promise, All schools in area are trying to keep afloat

the_kosher_pig

Norphlet has had some talent in the past just not the numbers.  Smackover could be really dangerous with a few more students.
Anyone who saw Clayton Childers at QB knows what I'm talking about.

Bearden_Bear72

I do, if smackover gets that talent thats still there then 3A better watch out for a powerhouse, or more of a powerhouse

bleudog

Both the Smackover and Norphlet districts are contiguous to the El Dorado district.  El Dorado is still under an old federal desegregation order.  They could file suit to stop the two from merging.  Now whether or not El Dorado would exercise that option is anybody's guess.

bleudog

HorseFeathers

Bleudog...Look for an article tomorrow in the News-Times will ya? Just seen on Twitter that there was a vote in Norphlet school district...and the citizens that voted are in favor of consolidation with Smackover by a vote of 274 for vs 116 against...

bleudog

Quote from: HF on March 04, 2014, 10:50:45 pm
Bleudog...Look for an article tomorrow in the News-Times will ya? Just seen on Twitter that there was a vote in Norphlet school district...and the citizens that voted are in favor of consolidation with Smackover by a vote of 274 for vs 116 against...

The public poll was non-binding, but the tweets you saw were correct.

CLICK HERE

The next Leopard school board meeting might need to be moved to the gym.

bleudog

March 06, 2014, 07:19:35 am #9 Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:50:40 am by bleudog
Here's a little more info:  CLICK HERE

I'm still curious to see if El Dorado will become involved in this.

If approved and sent off to the State Board of Education, the state board will hold a hearing on the merger, according to Snow.
    "They hold a hearing and any other entity that doesn't want it to happen or wants to say something will have a chance to do so at the hearing," he said.

Dayton Kitchens

I will miss Norphlet football a great deal.   The grass on their field is arguably  the best in the state.    Their weight room and field house facilities are also top notch.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 06, 2014, 09:34:34 am
I will miss Norphlet football a great deal.   The grass on their field is arguably  the best in the state.    Their weight room and field house facilities are also top notch.
Good grass, play on Norphlets field then...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 06, 2014, 10:11:49 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 06, 2014, 09:34:34 am
Good grass, play on Norphlets field then...

On the other hand,  I believe Smackover has larger stands and a good track.    Not to mention more parking space.   

I come from a small town school, have always taught in small schools and it bothers me to see schools in small towns disappear.

HorseFeathers

Bleu...Is Norphlet being forced to consolidate? The wording of the article makes me feel like that may be the case...Says that they're are deadlines for them to meet on submitting a proposal for this consolidation/annexation to happen. Seems to me if it's voluntary they should be able to present it any time they wanted to...but that's probably not how it works.

AirWarren

Would the move bring Smackover to 4a?

AirWarren

March 07, 2014, 05:04:56 am #15 Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:07:25 am by AirWarren
I personally wish they would merge more schools like this that were so close to each other. I understand the whole "town identity" thing but it would probably be more cost effective in the end and help out classification issues.

I have always thought Hermitage should just go ahead and merge with Warren. Along with Drew Central merging with Monticello. McGehee and Dermott merge etc.

To play devils advocate here, could you Union county folks imagine a consolidated Eldorado/Strong-huttig/Junction City/Parker's Chapel/Smackover/Norphlet/Strong team? Good Lord.

loyal fan

Quote from: AirWarren on March 07, 2014, 05:04:56 am
I personally wish they would merge more schools like this that were so close to each other. I understand the whole "town identity" thing but it would probably be more cost effective in the end and help out classification issues.

I have always thought Hermitage should just go ahead and merge with Warren. Along with Drew Central merging with Monticello. McGehee and Dermott merge etc.

To play devils advocate here, could you Union county folks imagine a consolidated Eldorado/Strong-huttig/Junction City/Parker's Chapel/Smackover/Norphlet/Strong team? Good Lord.
+1

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: AirWarren on March 07, 2014, 05:04:56 am

Try that and I would bet you would see a brand new private school of some size in Union County within a couple of years.

AirWarren

loyal fan

bleudog

March 07, 2014, 09:59:09 am #20 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:00:55 am by bleudog
Quote from: HF on March 06, 2014, 11:37:24 pm
Bleu...Is Norphlet being forced to consolidate? The wording of the article makes me feel like that may be the case...Says that they're are deadlines for them to meet on submitting a proposal for this consolidation/annexation to happen. Seems to me if it's voluntary they should be able to present it any time they wanted to...but that's probably not how it works.

No, both Norphlet and Smackover are in control of an optional process at this point.

I think it mostly would be a logistic matter to get it done before the next school year.  Even when both groups agree, there's a process to follow.  When the boards normally meet and when they could get on the ADE's agenda to provide adequate time for those who would disagree to have an opportunity to express an opinion.  And getting all that done in time for the next school year.  Miss those deadlines and the whole thing takes another year to get done. 

With dropping football last year (and questions about whether they could restart in 2014), there may be some school choice concerns that Norphlet will lose kids to Smackover anyway.  That's limited to 3% a year I think but Norphlet losing an extra 11 or so kids for the next school wouldn't help their financial situation even if it's only for one year.

It would have been interesting to see a second item in the poll.  That item being how many Norphlet folks would want to go into the El Dorado system.  I'd guess the number wouldn't have been what they were with Smackover.

HorseFeathers

On the private school issue  Is westside christian still open? Or did they completely close down?

bleudog

March 07, 2014, 10:39:13 am #22 Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:10:38 pm by bleudog
Quote from: HF on March 07, 2014, 10:16:38 am
On the private school issue  Is westside christian still open? Or did they completely close down?

I think they dropped high school grades in the mid 2000s or so but started those back up again a few years ago.  To the best of my knowledge, they never actually closed and are K-12 now.

http://westsidechristianschool.org/faq/

HorseFeathers

i'll always remember their posters on here back in 03 talking so much crap before the junction city game. . . . They lost 72-20. . . And you'd thought afterwards they'd played a close game because of how excited they were to have scored the most points on the dragon defense to that point that yr lol

HorseFeathers

being reported on coaching job thread that norphlet has officially hired dennis steele as football headcoach

bleudog

Quote from: HF on March 10, 2014, 08:17:00 am
being reported on coaching job thread that norphlet has officially hired dennis steele as football headcoach

Coach Steele can add to his list:
Atheltic Director/Driver Education/I.S.S Supervisor/Head Baseball & Softball Coach

Good to see that if the Smackover merger gets delayed a year, Norphlet will be back on the 2A football schedule.   That is unless they pull that "JV" thing again.

HorseFeathers

Well pending something going wrong between now and state approval. Norphlet High School will be gone next year, both Norphlet and Smackover have approved the merger...

bleudog

Quote from: HF on March 14, 2014, 06:44:06 pm
Well pending something going wrong between now and state approval. Norphlet High School will be gone next year, both Norphlet and Smackover have approved the merger...

The official Smackover vote will be Monday.

CLICK HERE

HorseFeathers

Hmm...I must have misread the 3A board....

bleudog

Now the Smackover vote part of the process is in the books:  CLICK HERE

bleudog

ADE hearing date set for May 8th:  CLICK HERE

Lions84

Hate to see the Leopards go the way of with Wolves and Panthers.

bleudog

May 08, 2014, 08:23:22 pm #32 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:25:42 pm by bleudog
I understand the ADE approve the consolidation request as submitted today. 

Also heard there's a good chance Norphlet will not field a football team for the 2014-2015 school year.  If that part is accurate, the Norphlet kids will be eligible to play as Bucs this fall.

thebigshot

One of the teachers from Norphlet told me it was a pass. Smackover and Norphlet will merge. This is what's best for the students and their future.

BUCK FEVER

sounds like the LEOPARDS will join the BUCKAROO football team this season.
school numbers should just barley keep SMACKOVER IN 3A...WE WELCOME THE NEW GUYS.

bleudog

EDNT article on ADE vote:  CLICK HERE

Lions84

Well it is a done deal now.  Good bye Leopards.

Cheek

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on May 08, 2014, 09:04:03 pm
sounds like the LEOPARDS will join the BUCKAROO football team this season.
school numbers should just barley keep SMACKOVER IN 3A...WE WELCOME THE NEW GUYS.

It does not matter how many kids Smackover picks up, because they will remain 3A for this next two year cycle.

bleudog

May 09, 2014, 01:50:36 pm #38 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:52:24 pm by bleudog
Yep, Smackover is a 3A school until at least the next realignment. After that there's a chance they could become one of the smallest 4A schools.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: bleudog on May 09, 2014, 01:50:36 pm
Yep, Smackover is a 3A school until at least the next realignment. After that there's a chance they could become one of the smallest 4A schools.

just judging by todays numbers..they would remain a high enrollment 3-a

example....smack/norphlet totals 298 students, compared to Booneville which just dropped from 4-a down to 3-a also has the same enrollment at 298.

KOJACK

Y'all won't be at 298 in two years. Y'all will be 500 4A team...js

HorseFeathers

Quote from: KOJACK on May 09, 2014, 10:29:22 pm

298 is actually the enrollment for the combined Norphlet and Smackover 9-11 numbers for this year....Not sure how many times that actually happens for schools that their AAA number is the actual enrollment number lol

BUCK FEVER

In that case we should be ready for 4-a...................but, look for us to stay in 3-a.

bleudog

May 10, 2014, 09:30:58 am #43 Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:50:53 am by bleudog
Quote from: HF on May 09, 2014, 11:40:38 pm

298 is actually the enrollment for the combined Norphlet and Smackover 9-11 numbers for this year....Not sure how many times that actually happens for schools that their AAA number is the actual enrollment number lol

HF, don't forget about that .33 of a kid.  That's the one who might bump them up at the next realignment. ;D

But it would have taken a little more than that for the next cycle:

Smackover - 199
Norphlet -    100.33

Smallest 4A public school:  Gentry - 303.66

http://eliteedgeas.com/files/ArkansasReclass14-16.pdf

And not even BuckF knows what the count will be in '16-'18. The point was, and is, Smackover will be looking at the possibility of bouncing between 4A-3A rather than between 3A-2A.

HorseFeathers

Bleu i was referring to the actual enrollment of the two schools combined from ADE website for this year.

bleudog

Quote from: HF on May 10, 2014, 12:12:06 pm
Bleu i was referring to the actual enrollment of the two schools combined from ADE website for this year.

I understood.  It's just that the next AAA cycle alignments are already set and it wouldn't have made any difference there either.  Now in two years, who knows. 

I remember in '05 Smackover had a powerhouse football team but that was their last year before moving up to 3A.  They didn't make very much noise for a few years after that.

HorseFeathers

True.....you can make guesses off of current enrollment numbers though. How's the AAA figure enrollment anyway? Is it the first two years of the new cycle. Also known as next years 9-11 and then 8-10  to make something of a guess at where they would fall?

BUCK FEVER

May 11, 2014, 07:57:45 am #47 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:08:01 am by BUCK FEVER
You can look for the Bucks to remain in 3-a.......I base this on the fact that they will stay under 300 simply because a certain number of the Norphlet (parents&students ) have said they will not join the SSD (PERIOD) .
They will transfer to either west side christain or a few to Parkers chapel, remember for 100 years norphlet and smack was a huge rivalry, some just simply will not want to join SSD, plus lets face the facts, smackover population has been running down hill for the past 10 years.

Smackover is not growing , the only thing that bumped Smackover from 2-a to 3-a few years ago was when MT Holly Consolidated with Smackover, at  that time Smack was a large 2-a and it took very little to bump them to a small 3-a which they have remained a small3-a for several years now, norphlet today has a 100 HS students, after a few fly the roost to WSC & PC ,THEY WILL BRING WAY UNDER 100 TO SMACKTOWN......LOOK FOR THE BUCKS TO REMAIN IN 3-A.

a LARGE 3-A .....BUT 3-A.

THA TRUTH

Smack could be getting more people in town thiugh because of cross oil they are growing as a company

BigBrother

Are they gonna take down leopard challenge signs? Or make as Bucklet or a leoparoo challenge? Smacklet or norphover. Just asking?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas