• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previewing Class 2A in Cycle 6C (2016-2018)

Started by x14113, November 16, 2014, 11:10:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

x14113

Just one week into the playoffs, and folks are already buzzing over how the high school landscape will change in two years.

Thanks to the timing of required data, this landscape is all but set.

I've been crunching the numbers provided at the ADE Data website, and I have a pretty good idea as to where most schools will end up. The website is below, for those that wish to check out the numbers themselves.

https://adedata.arkansas.gov/statewide/

Three things will affect Class 2A for next cycle, depending on how they occur.

Bentonville West/North Pulaski: the former could open in time, while the latter could shut down. The placement of Gurdon (186.67) and Rison (184) could hinge on how all this plays out.

Normal shifts: It looks like Walnut Ridge (197.67) can no longer avoid the neghbors across the tracks. Meanwhile, Danville (181.67) and Lavaca (180) will be dropping down together.

Closures: Hartford (86.33) believes its days as a school district are numbered. The question remains as to which district will annex them.  Whether it's Hackett (155.33) or Mansfield (226), the bump in numbers will be enough to make the annexer jump a class.

iliveformarch

November 16, 2014, 10:01:48 pm #1 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:05:11 pm by iliveformarch
The 4-2A should merge with the 5-2A and 7-2A! Make those 12 team conferences and let the top 8 make the playoffs. It would stop things from getting watered down... Magazine, Western Yell, JC Westside, and Hector could go with the 5-2A and Hackett, Mountainburg, Decatur, and Union Christian could join the 7-2A....

baseballgod91

Maybe hector goes in as the 5 seed in the 5 2a this year....maybe

big E

Hustler_Pride

Hartford is staying open. They are just losing football and annexing with Hackett. The Hartford campus will stay open.

swarfan

Quote from: iliveformarch on November 16, 2014, 10:01:48 pm
The 4-2A should merge with the 5-2A and 7-2A! Make those 12 team conferences and let the top 8 make the playoffs. It would stop things from getting watered down... Magazine, Western Yell, JC Westside, and Hector could go with the 5-2A and Hackett, Mountainburg, Decatur, and Union Christian could join the 7-2A....

So you want to see Decatur travel to places like Lafayette Co (5 1/2 hrs), Gurdon (4 1/2 hrs), Spring Hill (5+ hours), Foreman (4 1/2 hrs) for a conference game?  Don't think that would work....

Rida4Life

so who else may move up/down?  I hear Rison may be going back to AAA.  You would think JC might be getting bored and maybe petition to move up to AAA but they probably aren't THAT tired of beating the crap out of everyone. 
What about the following schools:
Earle
Camden Harmony Grove
Parkers Chapel
Strong
Marked Tree
Midland
Smackover
Fordyce

I know some of these are growing and others are shrinking.... didn't try the link and was just wondering what their numbers look like.

Lions84

We had a cycle down here in TX where we traveled 3-5 hours to play on Friday night , The kids got out at noon some days because of the travel time.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Rida4Life on November 17, 2014, 12:04:59 pm
so who else may move up/down?  I hear Rison may be going back to AAA.  You would think JC might be getting bored and maybe petition to move up to AAA but they probably aren't THAT tired of beating the crap out of everyone. 
What about the following schools:
Earle
Camden Harmony Grove
Parkers Chapel
Strong
Marked Tree
Midland
Smackover
Fordyce

I know some of these are growing and others are shrinking.... didn't try the link and was just wondering what their numbers look like.

Strong is on the verge of having to close. They lose 6-8 more kids they are done. Camden Harmony Grove is close to being 2A again. Midland is a 1A school that is forced to play 2A football. Smackover is very close to being 4A. Will most likely move up to 4A when this cycle begins. Fordyce is pretty much where they are at.

wiseguy

Quote from: baseballgod91 on November 16, 2014, 10:52:07 pm
Maybe hector goes in as the 5 seed in the 5 2a this year....maybe
What a (DUMB) statement :-[

bdubyab60

I don't think they can force you to play football. I believe midland had backing to start their program and the ones who started it left. I think that's how they explained it. There are several 2A schools that have the numbers to play football and choose not to.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 17, 2014, 02:49:29 pm
I don't think they can force you to play football. I believe midland had backing to start their program and the ones who started it left. I think that's how they explained it. There are several 2A schools that have the numbers to play football and choose not to.

Valley Springs, Bergman come to mind...along with all those North East Arkansas Schools tha tdon't play football...

Proud Buckaroo

I worded that statement wrong. What I was saying is, Midland chose to play football but due to the fact there is no 1A football in arkansas. They have to play 2A schools.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 17, 2014, 08:32:04 pm
I worded that statement wrong. What I was saying is, Midland chose to play football but due to the fact there is no 1A football in arkansas. They have to play 2A schools.

The forced part would be the including their other sports in the "move" up to 2A...I think that Is stupid. But another screw up in classifications when the 6A schools wanted to cry about not being able to compete with the 7A schools....before that the 1A schools could compete in 2A football and play in 1A basketball...

Proud Buckaroo

I can remember when there was no 7A/6A. It was all 5A.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 17, 2014, 08:49:07 pm
I can remember when there was no 7A/6A. It was all 5A.

That's what I was referring to...Pre-2006 sir...when the 6A schools cried no fair about the numbers game. They completely "revamped/watered down" the classification systems....I think 2A at one point had 70+ football schools...

Proud Buckaroo

I have an aunt who live bentonville. I can remember when she first moved there... there was hardly anything in that town. Now there is houses all the way from the start of bentonville towards gravette. That town has growed A LOT over the last 8-9 years.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 17, 2014, 08:59:33 pm
I remember when it was only 4 divisions.

Get out of here....You must live in a nursing home :D

Proud Buckaroo

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Proud Buckaroo

dragondad

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 17, 2014, 09:08:49 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 17, 2014, 09:01:00 pm

Someone just told their age. LOL.

I was 6 when we won our only state title. Lol

No wonder you have 7,000 posts, you've been here for 100 years. Haha!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dragondad on November 17, 2014, 09:15:55 pm

Uh oh...I really am as old as I feel some nights....

dragondad

Quote from: HF on November 17, 2014, 09:18:34 pm
Quote from: dragondad on November 17, 2014, 09:15:55 pm

Uh oh...I really am as old as I feel some nights....

Older! Haha!!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 17, 2014, 09:12:11 pm
2 years younger than my parents. Lol.

I have a son who is probably just a little older than you. Lol

cuz

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 17, 2014, 09:28:57 pm

You young pups don't know what old is, I've got kids older that you pick and a grand-daughter 21....lol

Proud Buckaroo

sportsfan-3

Quote from: cuz on November 17, 2014, 09:41:56 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 17, 2014, 09:28:57 pm

You young pups don't know what old is, I've got kids older that you pick and a grand-daughter 21....lol
You need to change from cuz to Gramps.

cuz

HorseFeathers

BigLion10

Cuz remembers walking 15 miles in the blazing snow up hill both ways though I've never really understood the uphill both ways part

WPWells

dragondad

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 17, 2014, 10:21:43 pm
Tectonic plates shifted at noon each day

Nahh, that was just those pterodactyl eggs he ate for breakfast.   ;D

cuz

Quote from: dragondad on November 17, 2014, 10:28:17 pm

All this kindness has brought a tear to my eye....

dragondad

Quote from: cuz on November 17, 2014, 10:33:45 pm

Spreading the love

bleudog

C'mon folks, Cuz isn't dino old. 

But he might be old enough to remember when Charleston and Gurdon were part of Louisiana. :-)

cuz

Quote from: bleudog on November 17, 2014, 11:01:44 pm
C'mon folks, Cuz isn't dino old. 

But he might be old enough to remember when Charleston and Gurdon were part of Louisiana. :-)
Watch it bleu these boys never studied that, your telling off on yourself.... ;D

66SSV

My Great great great great grandpappy said all of Arkansas was part of Louisiana back in his day but them folks above where JC is now were not very good at "battledore and shuttlecock" so they decided to make a change.

bleudog

November 18, 2014, 05:21:58 am #39 Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:40:00 am by bleudog
Hey 66, hasn't Parkers Chapel won a state title or two in jeu de volant?

cuz

Logans Mom

Quote from: cuz on November 17, 2014, 10:33:45 pm

You always talked so good about Logan that I got your back cuz...or should I say Mr. Cuz  ;D!

cuz

Thank you dear a man can't have too much help... Hope Logan is doing good. Appreciate the updates you do.....

Logans Mom

Quote from: cuz on November 18, 2014, 03:44:03 pm
Thank you dear a man can't have too much help... Hope Logan is doing good. Appreciate the updates you do.....
Thank you Cuz.  Logan is doing great  :)

cuz

Quote from: Logans Mom on November 18, 2014, 04:06:43 pm
Quote from: cuz on November 18, 2014, 03:44:03 pm
Thank you Cuz.  Logan is doing great  :)!
Glad to here that, always good to hear of young man doing good at the next level, liked that picture of him and Bo.......

HorseFeathers

Alright....Soooo Got the numbers from x14113...This is assuming no movement from the private schools...But here is a guess at Conference Changes

2A-8
Holds steady...No options to move into the conference even if Strong is forced to drop football and possibly close the doors
2A-7
Figuring there will be no change here as well.
2A-6
I'm figuring One of the Augusta/McCrory duo...or maybe even P/W is going to the 2A-3 to replace Walnut Ridge who looks to go up to 3A.
--Depending on what the AAA decides to do, could see England moving back to the 2A-6 if they move to teams to the 2A-3
2A-5
Look for Hector to return to the 2A-5.
---as mentioned above, might see England slide back to the 2A-6
2A-4
Danville and Lavaca should both end up here. Hartford is supposedly dropping football and annexing with Hackett. And Hector makes a little bit more geographical sense in the 2A-5.
---Hector might stay put and make this a 10 team conference like back in the late 90's.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HF on November 23, 2014, 09:49:33 pm
Alright....Soooo Got the numbers from x14113...This is assuming no movement from the private schools...But here is a guess at Conference Changes

2A-8
Holds steady...No options to move into the conference even if Strong is forced to drop football and possibly close the doors
2A-7
Figuring there will be no change here as well.
2A-6
I'm figuring One of the Augusta/McCrory duo...or maybe even P/W is going to the 2A-3 to replace Walnut Ridge who looks to go up to 3A.
--Depending on what the AAA decides to do, could see England moving back to the 2A-6 if they move to teams to the 2A-3
2A-5
Look for Hector to return to the 2A-5.
---as mentioned above, might see England slide back to the 2A-6
2A-4
Danville and Lavaca should both end up here. Hartford is supposedly dropping football and annexing with Hackett. And Hector makes a little bit more geographical sense in the 2A-5.
---Hector might stay put and make this a 10 team conference like back in the late 90's.

If i had the option to choose who left the 6, it would be Augusta, im all for bringing England back.

MomaLion

From the size if their teams i'd think McCrory may be bumped to 3A at some point and I hear PW is bursting at the seams as well...don't know numbers however.

big E

Pw will be close depending on what the legislature does about school choice.Room is a issue can only take so many they just started a kipp school in Forrest City that will hit them for about 85 kids a year plus the 25 or so we get and the 30 or so wynne gets.As for the conference outlook I figure Augusta or Mccrory or both will go back to the 3 if there is a move and England will come back Marianna keeps losing kids they could be 2a in the years ahead and if that happens im sure they would be put in the 6 we will just have to see how it plays out.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: MomaLion on November 23, 2014, 11:46:36 pm
From the size if their teams i'd think McCrory may be bumped to 3A at some point and I hear PW is bursting at the seams as well...don't know numbers however.

p/w is getting close...they are in the top 10 in 2A for school size...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas