• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 2A Player of the Year

Started by GusBrown, November 08, 2014, 01:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cuz

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 11:19:03 am
Dancy will be taking more of a pounding because he will be on offense unlike AT and KP
Payne was a RB his first 2 years. . his first start as a RS freshman was against LSU in tiger stadium in 03 . .the year LSU won the NT with Saban.  Had one if the best outputs against that D by any RB that year. . .I believe he and Dancy would of been about the same size then........

FootballDude02

That's true, he did get an opportunity to run the ball that year as a back up, but was able to start by moving to another position. KP didn't even play running back in his All star game in 2002, he played corner/nickel though. Not knocking what he did, cuz he is a great guy; his size then just limited his playing of the position in which he was recruited. His skill set fit better for other positions.

THA TRUTH

His sophomore year he got injured throughout the year which prompted them to move him to safety along with Chris Harris getting drafted

STUNNA

THA TRUTH

THA TRUTH

Kp did break the ulm freshman rushing record but couldn't take the pounding the second year

thabeast428

November 10, 2014, 09:11:38 pm #106 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:14:55 pm by thabeast428
Payne was bigger his sr yr than what Dancy is. Not sure about upper body but I Kevin had bigger leg muscles

cuz

Dancy's durability will definitely get tested, time will tell.....

Wilson

Kev was bigger than Dancy.   he wasn't a backup at ULM .   he was the starter most of his freshman year. . his soph year he got hurt several times.   Nothing to do with any pounding.  just football injuries . . when he came back his Jr year the kid from Airline plus another RB that had stepped up had made the backfield deep and Kev offered to move to defense if the coaches thought it would help the team. . his decision . . very unselfish player. . and he was hitting much harder and much more often after he moved. to defense than when he was at RB. . so that can't take the pounding stuff is just uninformed . . 

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on November 09, 2014, 02:00:37 pm
Do you honestly believe that there is an offensive player better than Dancy?  His averages are far and away the best in the state.  People cried because JC ran the score up.  Dancy averaged less than 10 carries per game.  If he had gotten just 15 per game, He would have had over 2,000 yards, and this wouldn't even be an issue.  Same with Armstrong.  If he had gotten to play a full 3 quarters per game, he would be the leading tackler in 2A.  Is there a better defensive player than Armstrong?  The reason JC is doing as good as they are is great players getting great coaching.  Y'all can't have it both ways.
Dancy is the most talented player in 2A, but with adding defense and special teams, noones numbers compare to Jackie Harvell's.

cuz

Player of the year to me means the player that stands out the most at what the do.  Not the savior of the team, not who plays both ways, not who has the most yds, but the one player who stands out at what he does the best. The one people come to see week in and week out.. The one who the people know from all over not just in one conference....  ;)

THA TRUTH

First post I've liked of urs in a long time cuz

cuz

GusBrown

Quote from: cuz on November 10, 2014, 09:47:58 pm
Player of the year to me means the player that stands out the most at what the do.  Not the savior of the team, not who plays both ways, not who has the most yds, but the one player who stands out at what he does the best. The one people come to see week in and week out.. The one who the people know from all over not just in one conference....  ;)
No. The Player of the Year goes to the player with the best numbers. If you put up amazing numbers in all three phases of the game and lead your team to a great season, you're a great POTY candidate.

FootballDude02

Quote from: Wilson on November 10, 2014, 09:25:35 pm
Kev was bigger than Dancy.   he wasn't a backup at ULM .   he was the starter MOST of his freshman year. . his soph year he got hurt SEVERAL times.   Nothing to do with any pounding.  just football injuries . . when he came back his Jr year the kid from Airline plus another RB that had stepped up had made the backfield deep and Kev offered to move to defense if the coaches thought it would help the team. . his decision . . very unselfish player. . and he was hitting much harder and much more often after he moved. to defense than when he was at RB. . so that can't take the pounding stuff is just uninformed . .
How does one contradict himself so much? Kevin graduated in May 2002 from JC, started ULM fall 2002, where he was scout team tailback and decided to redshirt because of limited playing opportunity. He didn't get the opportunity to start until his 2nd year of school (2003), which is stated as his freshman year due to his decision to RS. KP didn't get hurt til 2004 (3 games left in the season), and had 74 carries for 261 yrds. Oh yea, that injury was a broken arm.  Kevin didn't "offer" to move to defense, his coaches decided to move him to defense and it was solely based on the fact that Chris Harris was drafted in 2005. Just like his coaches decided to make him punter his senior year. And this is not my opinion

RabidWolf

If player of the year went to best numbers, then the Heisman would've went to one the Texas Tech QB's a few year back or a triple option RB. and Romo would have an NFL MVP.  It isn't all about numbers. If a team throws it every single play, of course the QB is gonna have high numbers. so no, it doesn't go to the best numbers. That logic is flawed. The idea at its base is understandable. But once you really think about it, it's incorrect. Idk how much you follow 3A, but do you think Ty Storey shouldn't win because he hardly plays any defense?

cuz

Quote from: RabidWolf on November 10, 2014, 10:20:44 pm
If player of the year went to best numbers, then the Heisman would've went to one the Texas Tech QB's a few year back or a triple option RB. and Romo would have an NFL MVP.  It isn't all about numbers. If a team throws it every single play, of course the QB is gonna have high numbers. so no, it doesn't go to the best numbers. That logic is flawed. The idea at its base is understandable. But once you really think about it, it's incorrect. Idk how much you follow 3A, but do you think Ty Storey shouldn't win because he hardly plays any defense?
+1 a good point. In 2-3a especially one RB can be a work horse and put up large numbers but that doesn't make him the best. Look at Harvil from Gurdon never heard of him till this post but I bet the poster who nominated knew who Dancy was..... :)

Wilson

Yes Kevin started his freshman year. . redshirt freshman is still a freshman. . he was already slated to redshirt when he signed with ULM. . Keasler said as much . . he dealt with several injuries his soph year. . he was playing hurt from the get go in 04 . . he was 70% at best in the Astate game. . yet gutted it out . . that game was big to JC folks because it also had K McKinnon playing for the indians. . i was there. . as i was almost all of Kevs home games seeing as i lived there. . i was also in and out of the facility ofc and on that summer and fall because i was getting PT from several of the trainers due to a torn hamstring . . and Kev did offer. . several other RB's had stepped up making the backfield deep. . .he was being unselfish cause he thought he could help the team more on the defensive side as a full time player more so than limited reps at RB. . or so the narrative was at the time in the Monroe media and from Mr Overturf. . the head ULM trainer.   . who i would see time to time at different things in Monroe . . glad you seem to want to pick my statement apart and take things out of context . .

THA TRUTH

Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 10, 2014, 10:10:33 pm
Quote from: Wilson on November 10, 2014, 09:25:35 pm
Kev was bigger than Dancy.   he wasn't a backup at ULM .   he was the starter MOST of his freshman year. . his soph year he got hurt SEVERAL times.   Nothing to do with any pounding.  just football injuries . . when he came back his Jr year the kid from Airline plus another RB that had stepped up had made the backfield deep and Kev offered to move to defense if the coaches thought it would help the team. . his decision . . very unselfish player. . and he was hitting much harder and much more often after he moved. to defense than when he was at RB. . so that can't take the pounding stuff is just uninformed . .
How does one contradict himself so much? Kevin graduated in May 2002 from JC, started ULM fall 2002, where he was scout team tailback and decided to redshirt because of limited playing opportunity. He didn't get the opportunity to start until his 2nd year of school (2003), which is stated as his freshman year due to his decision to RS. KP didn't get hurt til 2004 (3 games left in the season), and had 74 carries for 261 yrds. Oh yea, that injury was a broken arm.  Kevin didn't "offer" to move to defense, his coaches decided to move him to defense and it was solely based on the fact that Chris Harris was drafted in 2005. Just like his coaches decided to make him punter his senior year. And this is not my opinion

I'm glad someone wanted to go all In cause I didn't want to type that much hahah but yea isn't any injury during football technically a football injury

FootballDude02

People are changing the name of the award lol. There is a clear difference in "MVP" and "Player of the Year". If it was MVP, most people would have a great case, based on the fact that MVP is usually judged on 1. Team success 2. Production 3. Importance to team. That's why it's "Most VALUABLE Player". This criteria, I think places more people in argument solely due to the fact they are more important to their team, than Dancy to JC. But the award is "Player of the Year", which is directly related to one persons individual performances in a respective position (nothing related to your team). How well players are known usually factors into this award. An award where individualism (average, touches, etc) is highly weighed.  This is only one mans opinion.

GusBrown

Quote from: RabidWolf on November 10, 2014, 10:20:44 pm
tony romo doesn't have an mvp because the guys with the best numbers (Manning and Brady) were are winning them. Jackie Harvell has the best numbers on a top 5 team.

THA TRUTH

Answer this who is the better football player dancy or harvell

THA TRUTH

THA TRUTH

Oh and by the way dancy has made an unofficial visit to ark also so nothing there that impresses

COACH-Mike

Dancy is a football player.  Harvell is a track guy playing football.

FootballDude02

Quote from: Wilson on November 10, 2014, 11:00:51 pm
Yes Kevin started his freshman year. . redshirt freshman is still a freshman. . he was already slated to redshirt when he signed with ULM. . Keasler said as much . . he dealt with several injuries his soph year. . he was playing hurt from the get go in 04 . . he was 70% at best in the Astate game. . yet gutted it out . . that game was big to JC folks because it also had K McKinnon playing for the indians. . i was there. . as i was almost all of Kevs home games seeing as i lived there. . i was also in and out of the facility ofc and on that summer and fall because i was getting PT from several of the trainers due to a torn hamstring . . and Kev did offer. . several other RB's had stepped up making the backfield deep. . .he was being unselfish cause he thought he could help the team more on the defensive side as a full time player more so than limited reps at RB. . or so the narrative was at the time in the Monroe media and from Mr Overturf. . the head ULM trainer.   . who i would see time to time at different things in Monroe . . glad you seem to want to pick my statement apart and take things out of context . .
BUMP  ::)
I played with Kevin in the Arkansas HS Classic, and he injured himself there (recurring ankle)  which limited him that week of practice and the game...and also was at ASU in 04 lol...but ok. You win.

GusBrown

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 11:07:26 pm
the award should be based on performance not talent . As in numbers based performance.

G-HIGH

Quote from: COACH-Mike on November 10, 2014, 11:16:22 pm
Shoulda kept that gem to yourself.
Harvell is every bit of a football player. Aunt Ida watched that track guy put the punctuation mark on the 7-2A crown with 3:00. +/- left in the game while breaking tackles and eluding actual football players. All those int's by the track guy I suppose are attributed to his being the 100 meter champ as well.
Horse puckey!

FootballDude02

November 10, 2014, 11:34:55 pm #129 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:37:08 pm by FootballDude02
Quote from: GusBrown on November 10, 2014, 11:28:35 pm
Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 10, 2014, 11:07:26 pm
the award should be based on performance not talent . As in numbers based performance.
I can't totally agree here, for numbers to be the factor that would be MVP. But there are a lot if stats that don't translate to numbers or paper. For instance, if it were a cornerback in the conversation that is completely lockdown, his numbers won't look too good because teams go away from him. You can't write down how many times a team chooses not to throw at him.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: G-HIGH on November 10, 2014, 11:29:04 pm
Harvell is every bit of a football player. Aunt Ida watched that track guy put the punctuation mark on the 7-2A crown with 3:00. +/- left in the game while breaking tackles and eluding actual football players. All those int's by the track guy I suppose are attributed to his being the 100 meter champ as well.
Horse puckey!

My point will be proven if you make the semi's or finals.  Our conference is not good.  Hit him and he will not want it like Dancy will.  He is a good player in aa.  Just not Dancy caliber.

Wilson

Kev also was the one that brought up to the coaching staff he was a decent punter in high school when ULM was struggling to find a punter his sr season. . he went on to make all sun belt as a punter  that year. .  he was a heck of a player. . whatever he played. .

THA TRUTH

Quote from: COACH-Mike on November 10, 2014, 11:39:31 pm
Quote from: G-HIGH on November 10, 2014, 11:29:04 pm
Horse puckey!

My point will be proven if you make the semi's or finals.  Our conference is not good.  Hit him and he will not want it like Dancy will.  He is a good player in aa.  Just not Dancy caliber.

True I have seen that kid fold before

Dragon I

When he stopped last year on the sweep and tried to cut back to the middle of the field, he got leveled.  He pulled his self out, and ran scared the rest of the night.  I felt bad for AK.  He was all alone after that.

Redandwhite

Basically Dancy won this right? Because yall are not talk about players
Who tried hard. Its something yall dont like the schools
In the delta like clarendon.

cuz

Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 10, 2014, 11:19:26 pm
I played with Kevin in the Arkansas HS Classic, and he injured himself there (recurring ankle)  which limited him that week of practice and the game...and also was at ASU in 04 lol...but ok. You win.
Then you played with McKinnon??

G-HIGH

Quote from: Dragon I on November 11, 2014, 06:50:50 am
When he stopped last year on the sweep and tried to cut back to the middle of the field, he got leveled.  He pulled his self out, and ran scared the rest of the night.  I felt bad for AK.  He was all alone after that.
Nobody folded. Nobody gave up. And nobody was scared. You guys won. Outplayed Gurdon. Outlasted Gurdon. OutCOACHED Gurdon.  Ain't no need to put down a 16 year old kid and talk about how he was scared and all like that makes you a better fan or a bigger man cause I promise you he wasn't and isn't. 

Dragon I

He folded like a cheap suit.  It happens.  JC had a running back lay down in the semi's in 2002.  Some just don't handle adversity as well as others.  Some learn from that and don't let it happen again.

GusBrown

They can't accept the fact that no one can compare to Harvell's stats.

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on November 11, 2014, 08:41:27 am
He folded like a cheap suit.  It happens.  JC had a running back lay down in the semi's in 2002.  Some just don't handle adversity as well as others.  Some learn from that and don't let it happen again.
14 carries 55 yds. 1 catch 35 yds. He was not the featured player on last years offense. That is why AK carried the load, no other reason. He doesn't "fold". It seems that every time you guys run out of argument, you bring up the past. This thread is "2014 2A Player of the Year". The facts are that no one, including Dancy can touch Harvell's stats THIS YEAR.

Dragon I

Common opponent this year.  Smackover.  What did he do against the Buckaroos starters?

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on November 11, 2014, 09:30:42 am
Common opponent this year.  Smackover.  What did he do against the Buckaroos starters?
13 carries 58 yds and a TD. 2 catches 20 yds. 1 punt return 25 yds. 9 tackles and 1 interception returned for a 56 yd TD.

Dragon I

Dancy 13 carries for 199 2 or 3 TD's.

FootballDude02

Quote from: cuz on November 11, 2014, 07:42:33 am
Was there with him and Ben Owens of Bearden and Tyrell Johnson of Rison. These are great guys, I have nothing against JC people nor 8AA. Great friends.

cuz

November 11, 2014, 10:35:16 am #144 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:42:25 am by cuz
Quote from: Dragon I on November 11, 2014, 09:51:44 am
http://wehco.olivesoftware.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RWxETlRpbWVzLzIwMTQvMDkvMDYjQXIwMDkwMA%3D%3D&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom

cuz

Quote from: FootballDude02 on November 11, 2014, 10:16:18 am
Quote from: cuz on November 11, 2014, 07:42:33 am
Was there with him and Ben Owens of Bearden and Tyrell Johnson of Rison. These are great guys, I have nothing against JC people nor 8AA. Great friends.
You played with some good ones, McKinnon was nothing but 1st rate and class, was a pleasure watching the young man play...........He gets on here once in a while..........

GusBrown

November 11, 2014, 01:50:46 pm #146 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:57:28 pm by GusBrown
Quote from: cuz on November 11, 2014, 10:35:16 am
Quote from: Dragon I on November 11, 2014, 09:51:44 am
http://wehco.olivesoftware.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RWxETlRpbWVzLzIwMTQvMDkvMDYjQXIwMDkwMA%3D%3D&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom
193 yds 2 TDs and a fumble. Either way these are the 2 guys who should be in consideration. Dancy will probably win it due to a great career and the fact that he's a senior and Harvell is a junior.

THA TRUTH

And the fact he is just plain better

GusBrown

Quote from: THA TRUTH on November 11, 2014, 03:48:37 pm
And the fact he is just plain better
answer this, are his numbers better than Harvell for the year?

True Fan

In my humble opinion, it's not about numbers.

Not about how much the team depends on him.

Player of the year should be the best player, period. How would he perform with and against the same teams.

I'm kinda looking forward to the championship game to see how they look head to head. If, the Devils make it. ;)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas