• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

View From the Stands: LITTLE ROCK 2016 PR vs WARREN 4A TITLE

Started by JoshuaRug13, December 10, 2016, 04:16:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshuaRug13

Hopping on a bus Friday afternoon, I was pumped and ready to go for a great football game at WMS.
After the game, I was still pumped, extremely proud, and overall happy for my football team. 
The blackhawks had a very low chance of winning this game, lets be real, but people often overlook the fact that this team was in this game for a reason.  Nothing could show that more than the 1st half itself. 

1st Half View:

As I set up by drum for the game, I see how many PR and Warren fans had shown up to the chilly game.  Being in ski pants, a band uniform and double layered socks (don't forget the gloves and hat!), I wasn't too terribly cold, but I saw one poor soul with a single long sleeve shirt and blue jeans.  I cry every time  :'(

When the Blackhawks came out of that tunnel, I saw every one of them come out with that same fire and intensity that they always came to play with.  I knew this was going to be a great game.

It didn't start out that way though!  I settled into my seat only to look up and see that Warren had already gotten inside the PR 20 yard line, and was like "Uh Oh..."  When Warren scored, I assured my fellow band members that we could still get this together. 

Well my assurance quickly vanished after a almost killer turnover happened on the kickoff return.  I sat there just watching and hoping that maybe we could get a stop, and we did.  Immediately, morale was boosted.

After that, I sat back and enjoyed probably one of the greatest drives of the year for Pea Ridge...a 20 PLAY DRIVE (20!!!) that lasted 9 minutes total and was just so much fun to watch.  With the score 6-6 in the 2nd quarter, we had ourselves a game! 

Warren quickly responded, and by that point I knew, the offense was going to have to keep up with Warren.  I told my fellow snare drummer that if Warren got up by 2 possessions, you can chalk it up as a loss.  Little did I know that this statement was true lol...but more on that later.

Pea Ridge got the ball back, and by this point we were getting ready in the back of the stadium to go on the field.  I rushed over to get a good glimpse just as Hayden caught a really dangerous 40 yard touchdown throw in double coverage.  But I didn't care...it was 12-12!

I got a good glimpse of Burks from field level, and let me tell you this, that kid is a sophomore?  Uhh...what do you feed him lol?  He will be a great player.  He had a great 50 yard catch right in front of me, and I am surprised he didn't take it for a touchdown considering the tackle was like a touch on the shoelace but hey, he did truck two guys at once.

I looked back and said, we need a TD here to get into that 2nd half with a tie game and the ball.  Well, it only took 18 seconds for that TD to happen.  A great return by #23 put the score back at 19-19, and I was like...why would you kick it to him lol? 

Warren got the ball back, and they moved the ball very well.  However they were stopped short on 4th down, and I was thinking that maybe this game was starting to turn towards the ridge.  I thought about what we could do, and I think the best option would to have been take that into halftime and get that ball back with momentum.  But that is why I don't coach.  I think we were trying to stay aggressive and put Warren back on their heels, but it just didn't work out.  Sainsbury was sacked, the ball came free, and all of the sudden Warren was back up 26-19.  I know PR responded in the 2nd half to make it 26-25, but that was absolutely the turning point right there.

We took a safe knee and took a 26-19 deficit into the locker room.  I was honestly very proud of that, as seeing how much talent there is on Warren, and how our guys were giving it their all out there.  We played well at halftime, but I messed up on one Paradiddlediddle on the halftime show and was very nervous to see if my band director noticed.  Thank goodness he didn't. 

We rushed back to the stands to get ready for the 2nd half of what was already a great Class 4A State Championship game.  I also had my sticks ready to go in case someone jumped me...but thankfully, the sticks were not needed in this situation.

2nd Half View

It was 26-25.  The crowd was excited.  The players were excited.  I was excited.  The buzz was real.  But I had this bad feeling in my stomach when I saw the defense come out again.  I don't think it was more of people playing out of position or bad defense, but I just knew that this was going to be near impossible to stop Warren just based on talent advantage, speed and overall strength.  The slant routs over the middle were just deadly all game, and the running backs had nice holes to run in all game.  PR did everything they could, but it just simply would not work because Warren's offense was just that good.  So when Warren scored again to make it 33-25, I said to my friend, "This is the game right here.  We either score, or Warren blows this baby open."

We did not score.  Warren quickly got the ball down the field again to make it 40-25.  This is when I begin to think that momentum had finally shifted fully to Warren, but I knew we must keep fighting.  The players tried, but we just couldn't make the plays.  A desperate trick play, while smart, did not work, and Warren quickly scored again to make it 47-25.  There was still a small window of opportunity to make a comeback (highly unlikely with the Warren Offense...), but a pick six made the score 54-25. 

I never sat down during this whole stretch.  If you were a Warren fan, I was the kid standing up on the stands by my drum, with the PR hat and Razorback hood on, and I never sat down.  I never stopped supporting our team. 

The Blackhawks never quit.  They scored to make it 54-31, and I yelled and screamed like the game was still close.  The onside kick was recovered.  I reacted like we had won the Superbowl.  When we finally got the ball into the endzone with less than a minute left, I jumped up and down like it was a hail Mary pass caught for the game winning touchdown.  That made it 54-37, and the final score for the night. 

I clapped my hands as the PR players and Warren players met at midfield.  I clapped for both teams.  For Warren on a amazing, undefeated season, and for a job well done on winning a state championship, and for PR on doing what no other PR team has ever done...make it to the State Championship game.  It was a magical season for PR, and I am thankful I was able to witness it.

When we got our runner up trophy, I gave my friend a high five, because there was nothing to be ashamed of.  We weren't supposed to be in the state championship game, but here we were.  We had just lost yes, but we played with so much heart and grit against a FAR superior opponent that it deserved to be applauded and given support.

When Warren got their trophy, I told everyone in the band to get up and clap and cheer for them.  There was no more competition this year.  The Warren players deserve to be recognized for a job well done, and for winning a state championship game.  They played great football, and did everything that they needed to do in order to win.  When PR responded, they quickly responded back, and they always kept PR from getting a lot of momentum in this game.  I smiled as I saw all the players get their trophies, and just couldn't wait to see what the future holds for both PR and Warren.

When the players were done for PR, I got to play the fight song for the last time this year.  And I couldn't have done it a better place...at War Memorial Stadium.  It was an honor to get to go to the game, but most importantly, it was an honor getting to my peers grow in both on the field play, and off the field actions.  Coach Neal has established a strong foundation for the program here at PR, and to see it everyday at school or at the game is really awesome. 

The bus ride back was really fun.  We all were not sad about the loss.  We were happy that we were there to watch a great football game between two great football teams. 

First to the Warren Lumberjacks:
Congratulations once again on winning the 4A State Championship game.  It was really fun watching your team play.  They play really well, and the future is going to be bright for the Warren football team.  They are very well coached young men, and I hope that PR can meet up with them again so that I can watch another great game between both teams.  To the fans, the players and everyone involved at Warren, congratulations once again!  Good luck next year and they years beyond that!

To Pea Ridge:
Words can not describe how thankful and proud I am to be able to watch and experience a historic year at Pea Ridge.  The players are just so hard working and talented, and the coaches are such good role models, that it is not to hard to be able to get behind and excited for this team.  All the players on the football team are good guys who are both leaders on the field and off the field.  And that is truly awesome to see.  The fans are all really great here too.  The amount of support that showed up for the game was both surprising and welcoming.  Not a single fan left even when the game started to go the other way.  Very cool stuff. 
One last time though for this football year...GO BLACKHAWKS! 

Romeo

AirWarren

I'm glad you had fun josh. Going to Little Rock for a state title game is an AMAZING experience. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

JoshuaRug13

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 08:21:42 am
I'm glad you had fun josh. Going to Little Rock for a state title game is an AMAZING experience. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

A cold AMAZING experience at that...but thank you  :)  Were you in the press box by chance?

LJ06

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 08:21:42 am

You need a new sig ;)

AirWarren

AirWarren

~WPS~

AirWarren

STUNNA

Lol.. he was definitely one of a kind... he told me pear ridge going 5 wide last night was smart coaching😂😂😂

AirWarren

Quote from: STUNNA on December 10, 2016, 08:07:29 pm
Lol.. he was definitely one of a kind... he told me pear ridge going 5 wide last night was smart coaching😂😂😂

There is only a hand full of teams that can come out in 5 wide. Pea ridge is not one of them.

$aintMaximu$

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 10, 2016, 08:31:07 pm
What did I miss from Josh?

I think he just got out of hand. I think he also posted an inappropriate video. That and his constant "baiting" arguments, got him the boot.

prHOG13

$aintMaximu$

AirWarren

prHOG13

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 10, 2016, 08:39:15 pm
He had a bright future on Fearless, he will be missed..
Missed about as much as the stomach flu

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: prHOG13 on December 10, 2016, 08:45:34 pm
Missed about as much as the stomach flu

He was good for a laugh but I am sure the Pea Ridge folks are glad to see him go... 

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 10, 2016, 08:50:34 pm
He was good for a laugh but I am sure the Pea Ridge folks are glad to see him go... 

Much like the poster flawlessthoughts. I think the Hampton posters are glad to see him go.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 08:52:02 pm
Much like the poster flawlessthoughts. I think the Hampton posters are glad to see him go.

I need to recruit some Shiloh posters...

AirWarren

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 08:56:06 pm
Please don't. Don't bring them back.

I was always the odd man out...  Remember the Williams brothers, I don't think those guys can stand me...

AirWarren

Although, I wish Walt "the dork" Williams would come back. He was like a poor man version of Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Pinnacle pimps I mean preps was the hey day of Shiloh posters.

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 10, 2016, 08:58:14 pm
I was always the odd man out...  Remember the Williams brothers, I don't think those guys can stand me...
Hahahaha. Just commented on that.

$aintMaximu$

Dandy of a game for 3A championship... I am milking that 1 month membership...

STUNNA

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 10, 2016, 09:00:11 pm
Dandy of a game for 3A championship... I am milking that 1 month membership...

Prescott has some dang good athletes

AirWarren

Quote from: STUNNA on December 10, 2016, 09:25:12 pm
Prescott has some dang good athletes

Sure enough. Prescott is one of those towns that always has some athletes.

STUNNA

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 09:26:41 pm
Sure enough. Prescott is one of those towns that always has some athletes.

They remind me of warren playing pr and pg.. just to much speed and to many playmakers

AirWarren

Quote from: STUNNA on December 10, 2016, 09:31:41 pm
They remind me of warren playing pr and pg.. just to much speed and to many playmakers

Combine speed with size on the lines. Killer.

bigchief72455

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2016, 08:33:41 pm
I think he just got out of hand. I think he also posted an inappropriate video. That and his constant "baiting" arguments, got him the boot.
I don't mind a know it all. If they actually know it all. But there are folks on here that had forgotten more about football than he knew.  Just a regular teenage kid. They think they have it all figured out. Lol. I guess we were all that way once.

bigchief72455

Quote from: STUNNA on December 10, 2016, 08:07:29 pm
Maybe if it were a video game. But the Jacks D is just way to good for that and PRs O was not good enough. They got away from what won them games and it got ugly.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas