• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 A Coach of Year

Started by Pat Swilling, November 30, 2016, 09:52:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Swilling

my opinion:  Rickey May - Waldron,  Bobby Pennington - Dumas,  Danny Abshier - Prairie Grove

STUNNA

Hembree... especially dealing with all the injuries that he has had to deal with

Pat Swilling

Warren wins every year.  I like to see long shot win. 

STUNNA

Quote from: Pat Swilling on November 30, 2016, 09:57:29 am
Warren wins every year.  I like to see long shot win.

A lot of that has to do with the man in control of the machine

Pat Swilling

Hembree is an awesome Coach.  Just think guys like May have done a whole lot with not much.  Thats also great Coaching.

beach bum

Quote from: Pat Swilling on November 30, 2016, 10:00:33 am
Hembree is an awesome Coach.  Just think guys like May have done a whole lot with not much.  Thats also great Coaching.

I am not trying to take anything away from Waldron's season because they went +5 in the win column and that is quite impressive, but 4 of their 5 wins came against Cedarville & Mansfield(combined 3-17 record in 3A).... then West Fork and Subiaco who were a combined 1-19. Their win against Pottsville was a very good win.

JoshuaRug13

Stephen Neal hands down...not even a contest  ;D ;D ;D

PiratePride03

Batesville SS had an improbable season, so maybe their coach should be in the mix too.

SouthernerPride

Quote from: PiratePride03 on November 30, 2016, 11:18:10 am
Batesville SS had an improbable season, so maybe their coach should be in the mix too.
was going to post the same until I saw your post. Coach Kenny Simpson deserves to be on that list this ear.

bigchief72455

Brandon Barbaree. Gosnell really had a good showing this year.

3 Dollar

How 'bout Phil Vega @ Dardanelle.  With all that graduated the last couple of years and Price seeing the writing on the wall and splitting.  Hats off to Vega and the job he's done this year!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: STUNNA on November 30, 2016, 09:54:33 am
Hembree... especially dealing with all the injuries that he has had to deal with
You have to be the biggest homer on the entire board.

Gray lizard

November 30, 2016, 03:02:54 pm #12 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:04:37 pm by Gray lizard
Quote from: 3 Dollar on November 30, 2016, 02:07:27 pm
How 'bout Phil Vega @ Dardanelle.  With all that graduated the last couple of years and Price seeing the writing on the wall and splitting.  Hats off to Vega and the job he's done this year!

I do not know the qualifications but he did a fine job that is for sure.

It also looks like he may have some good players in a couple of years to build on.

STUNNA

GHS_08

November 30, 2016, 08:12:38 pm #14 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:14:18 pm by GHS_08
Quote from: bigchief72455 on November 30, 2016, 12:53:51 pm
Brandon Barbaree. Gosnell really had a good showing this year.

First Quarterfinal appearance since 2002 and only the third in school history. He did a heck of a job with the team he had this year. Best record since 2002 as well at 11-2

whitefella1

Danny Abshier Prairie Grove. Has built a good consistent program.

BobKat

Bobby Pennington of Dumas. Dumas hasn't won a playoff game since 2010. He changed that this year. When our seniors of this year were sophomores, they went 1-9 under Coach Courtney finishing last in 8-4A. Last year Pennington came in, leading the cats to a 5-5 record and finishing 6th in 8-4A. This year, Coach Pennington led us to 7-3 in the regular season and got the third place spot for the playoffs. Finished 8-4 after beating Trumann in the first round and then losing to Dardanelle in the second.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Barbaree, May, or Simpson are my picks

GBattack

I'd have to say May. Quality wins or not...they are likely wins they wouldn't have gotten in previous years...that community bought in.

hoskinsplace

I agree with several that said it but I agree 100% that Brandon Barbaree should definitely be in the list of Coaches considered for this. He was also on the Farm Bureau watch list for 4-a coaches. Can't say enough about what he has done for our football program as a parent but if you talk to the players they will multiply this many times.

SouthsideSouthernerDad

Quote from: PiratePride03 on November 30, 2016, 11:18:10 am
Coach Simpson a good coach plus a good man I am proud he has been my son's coach.

JoshuaRug13

I'm picking Neal because he came into the job his first year and led Pea Ridge to 12 wins (more than last year) and got the wins we didn't get last year like NASHVILLE.  He has led us through the toughest conference in the 4A and in his first year no less.  Very much think he should be in consideration!

Youknowwhothisis

Not to mention all of the Things he teaches these kids about off the field life, they have different lessons every week

MUFASA #2

Most improved team - Pennington... Coach of year - Hembree hands down.

JoshuaRug13

Quote from: Youknowwhothisis on December 03, 2016, 06:09:00 pm
Not to mention all of the Things he teaches these kids about off the field life, they have different lessons every week

Yes.  He talks about that a lot I heard.  Actually in class one time he talked about that.  He is a very good coach and man...

STUNNA

Quote from: MUFASA #2 on December 03, 2016, 06:48:43 pm
Most improved team - Pennington... Coach of year - Hembree hands down.

Crazy to think warren has 4 starters out for the year

AirWarren

Quote from: STUNNA on December 03, 2016, 08:48:30 pm
Crazy to think warren has 4 starters out for the year
5 actually.

polksalet

The Waldron guy is apparently Bill Snyder 2.0.

Jack1990

Finalists -
Abshier
Hembree
Neal

pridgehog

Neal is my vote because he is a first year coach in Arkansas and nobody thought Pea Ridge would be playing for a State Title outside of it's own town. 

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: pridgehog on December 06, 2016, 12:44:13 pm
Neal is my vote because he is a first year coach in Arkansas and nobody thought Pea Ridge would be playing for a State Title outside of it's own town.

Not saying your coach doesn't deserve consideration, but you guys have been in the top 10 all year coming off a semi-final appearance. It's not like you came out of nowhere.

prHOG13

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on December 06, 2016, 12:59:55 pm
Not saying your coach doesn't deserve consideration, but you guys have been in the top 10 all year coming off a semi-final appearance. It's not like you came out of nowhere.
While I don't disagree, there were a lot of folks on here that claimed we would drop off significantly after Travis left for Heritage, and that our run last season was a fluke due to Robinson's fumbling spree, the weather neutralizing CAC, and getting blown out by Nashville.

It's easy to say you aren't surprised now

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: prHOG13 on December 06, 2016, 01:35:57 pm
While I don't disagree, there were a lot of folks on here that claimed we would drop off significantly after Travis left for Heritage, and that our run last season was a fluke due to Robinson's fumbling spree, the weather neutralizing CAC, and getting blown out by Nashville.

It's easy to say you aren't surprised now

I was surprised you beat Nashville, but I expected you to win the others. You were favored in every playoff game but one.

$aintMaximu$

To me it's down to Hembree and Neal....

Tigerdad2

pridgehog

Another thing a ton of people don't realize is that three starters quit before season. Three very good players for Pea Ridge. Plus Truesdel getting hurt before Playoffs was a huge loss. I am putting all these things into consideration as well...

STUNNA

out of the three homer or not it should be Hembree.

prHOG13

Every team has had their obstacles to get to the semi's/finals. Warren lost several to injury, PR had several significant contributors quit before the season and one of their best defenders get lost for the season to injury, and the same goes for Shiloh and PG

I'm fine with any of the finalists winning it. They're all deserving and are all great coaches.

Wonderdog

Champion gets the COTY award in 4A. None of the 3 are a huge surprise. Pea Ridge is probably the most surprising of the two still playing. Both teams had huge road wins in the playoffs by a similar margin. Toss up honestly.

Jimbo Morphis

Jimbo Morphis

How many times has Bo won this?

PiratePride03

"BLESS YOU" HAHAHAHAHA That's hilarious!

OverPrivileged

December 08, 2016, 10:28:47 am #42 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:02:10 am by vegasbobcat
I would base it on who made a significant improvement over last year, or who did something that wasn't really expected.  Winning basically the same number of games or one more game with the same group of kids as last year shouldn't be a qualification.  Winning 5 more games than the year before is impressive.  Winning in a year when you were expected to be down is more impressive.  Although I think being able to maintain a winning program year after year makes you a great coach, especially if you are the one who built it, the coach of "the year" should be who had the most impressive performance of that year. 

Youknowwhothisis

Also a coach that not only teaches kids how be Good on the field, But off the field as well

STUNNA

Quote from: Youknowwhothisis on December 08, 2016, 05:02:05 pm
Also a coach that not only teaches kids how be Good on the field, But off the field as well

and which coach doesnt do that?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas