• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the problem with the ASU football team?

Started by Trojanbird, September 26, 2016, 10:58:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trojanbird

Personally, I think that we have too many juco/transfer players which translates to no team brotherhood, so to speak.  Coach is looking for the quick fix rather than building the program.

OB11

Quote from: Trojanbird on September 26, 2016, 10:58:23 pm
Personally, I think that we have too many juco/transfer players which translates to no team brotherhood, so to speak.  Coach is looking for the quick fix rather than building the program.

That's the same exact problem Brady had with the basketball program.  Too many transfers and JUCO guys. 

I agree that it is something that may need to be looked at.  I understand that football is an emotional game and should be played with a lot of emotion.  But there is a time and place for celebration.  After a failed two point attempt when losing is not the time or the place. 

We also need to remember that the majority of these guys on the roster are Anderson's guys.  The Malzahn, Freeze, and Harsin recruits are all but gone from the program.  So is the current situation a reflection on Anderson's recruiting ability?  I think it may take another year or two to answer that question.

With all that being said, there is still a chance for this team to win another conference championship.  Technically none of the games they have played yet have mattered towards that goal.  It does not look promising after they 0-4 start, but there's still that possibility.  Need to figure things out quickly.

Trojanbird

I agree, there is still a chance!  I don't think it will happen.  We have a slap happy coach, only thinking of himself.
These, I think, 5 new transfers that came in, guess what.  Anderson took scholarships away from recruits to get them there, these guys are not coming to ASU on there own dime.  In my opinion, he is destroying this program and we have an AD that is going to sit and watch it happen.
Do we really want to call out the hogs when we can't handle UCA on our home field with an experienced O and D line. Oh, that's right, they are Malzahns recruits.  Where are his recruits?  This coach is not good for ASU.

Lions84

It been tough to watch the boys this year cause they are getting drilled.

wildcat_x-mgr

You know, I was saying years ago that I'd rather have a different coach every year with eight to ten wins a season, than have a consistent coach and go back to struggling for six or seven wins again. Not that there is a direct correlation, per se, but food for thought, no?

Trojanbird

Totally discussing at this point!  Heard that one of our (6th yr) D linemen quit.
Apparently there are some big problems in J-TOWN.  At this point, IMBO, it has to be the coaching.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I was kinda wondering why ASU fans haven't been whining and crying to play Arkansas... ;D

OB11

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 02, 2016, 01:03:52 am
I was kinda wondering why ASU fans haven't been whining and crying to play Arkansas... ;D

There honestly hasn't been that much talk about it (at least around Jonesboro) since it was discussed last year.  I think both sides have figured that ship has sailed. 

wildcat_x-mgr

It was good to see us finally snag that first win the other day, wasn't it? Conference is what counts.

Jacketman65

I just don't see them running the table like they have in the past.  Too many weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  IMO  They will win a few more games though.

Trojanbird

Quote from: Jacketman65 on October 13, 2016, 02:30:59 pm
I just don't see them running the table like they have in the past.  Too many weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  IMO  They will win a few more games though.
I tend to agree, but it seems to me that there are coaching issues going on here!

ViloniaEaglestoWMS

Quote from: Trojanbird on September 29, 2016, 12:49:46 am
I agree, there is still a chance!  I don't think it will happen.  We have a slap happy coach, only thinking of himself.
These, I think, 5 new transfers that came in, guess what.  Anderson took scholarships away from recruits to get them there, these guys are not coming to ASU on there own dime.  In my opinion, he is destroying this program and we have an AD that is going to sit and watch it happen.
Do we really want to call out the hogs when we can't handle UCA on our home field with an experienced O and D line. Oh, that's right, they are Malzahns recruits.  Where are his recruits?  This coach is not good for ASU.

lol

Lions84

It sad to see ASU Fall apart like they have this year. 

Made

Quote from: OB11 on September 27, 2016, 01:59:54 pm
That's the same exact problem Brady had with the basketball program.  Too many transfers and JUCO guys. 

I agree that it is something that may need to be looked at.  I understand that football is an emotional game and should be played with a lot of emotion.  But there is a time and place for celebration.  After a failed two point attempt when losing is not the time or the place. 

We also need to remember that the majority of these guys on the roster are Anderson's guys.  The Malzahn, Freeze, and Harsin recruits are all but gone from the program.  So is the current situation a reflection on Anderson's recruiting ability?  I think it may take another year or two to answer that question.

With all that being said, there is still a chance for this team to win another conference championship.  Technically none of the games they have played yet have mattered towards that goal.  It does not look promising after they 0-4 start, but there's still that possibility.  Need to figure things out quickly.

Actually, Roberts was still there when Griswold was getting recruited. Think he played his first year under Freeze as a redshirt freshman. Correct me if I'm wrong. Which would mean any redshirt Sr. was from Freeze, Redshirt Jr./Sr Malzahn, Redshirt Sophmore/Jr. Harsin, any under that or JuCo transfer from Anderson.

I may be off on my years, but pretty sure how it should shake out.

VHSCoach2

Arkansas State has rebounded nicely with a 5-0 record in conference play.  The Red Wolves battle the Trojans from Troy this Thursday, and the winner will likely be the Sun Belt Conference Champion. Both teams are undefeated in conference play. Troy's only loss this season is a 6-point loss to Clemson (at Clemson) way back in Week 2.

OB11

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 13, 2016, 11:02:46 am
Arkansas State has rebounded nicely with a 5-0 record in conference play.  The Red Wolves battle the Trojans from Troy this Thursday, and the winner will likely be the Sun Belt Conference Champion. Both teams are undefeated in conference play. Troy's only loss this season is a 6-point loss to Clemson (at Clemson) way back in Week 2.

Troy has a shot at being in the top 25 after this week.  So if ASU pulls off a win on a short week it would be one of the biggest wins in the last 5 or 6 years.  Would love to see them get it done.

Lions84

OB11

Biggest game in Sun Belt history. First top 25 ranking for any team in the conference and first meeting between 2 5-0 teams ever.

VHSCoach2

Not football, but Arkansas State just beat Georgetown in men's basketball, 78-72.

OB11

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 17, 2016, 07:57:56 pm
Not football, but Arkansas State just beat Georgetown in men's basketball, 78-72.

Huge win for the new coach.  I was worried after the loss to NDSU that it might be a long season.  But 3 games in and it looks like we might be decent.  I think if McCasland sticks around for a few years he will really have this program rolling.  Can't wait to see what he can do here.

VHSCoach2

Big win for the Red Wolves last night. 35-3 over Troy on the road! The Wolves are in the driver's seat for yet another Sun Belt Conference championship!

beach bum

Looking at Troy's nine games up to last nights game that was a massive win by A-State!

OB11

As long as they win one of their last two they will have at least a share of the conference championship.  So glad they turned things around after that awful start. 

VHSCoach2

Arkansas State could have just choked away the Sun Belt Conference Championship with a shocking loss to Louisiana-Lafayette, 24-19.

Trojanbird

VHSCoach2

If the Red Wolves beat Texas State tonight, they will be co-Sun Belt Champions with Appalachian State.

Jacketman65

Beginning to look like we will once again be coach shopping!

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 06, 2016, 11:32:52 am
Beginning to look like we will once again be coach shopping!

Baylor went elsewhere with their hire, so Coach Anderson is probably staying put.

OB11

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas