• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick question guys

Started by 501Arkansas, May 25, 2017, 12:17:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

501Arkansas

Do anyone remember the 1977 and 1979 Osceola High School boys basketball team that won state championships those years? I use to hear about them well I still do. Guys like Freddie Bird, the brothers Larry and Louis Turner that ended up going to an historic all black college call philander smith. Heard stories on how good they were. Playing against the West Memphis guys back in the 70s that went to the NBA. Guys like Michael Cage who was the 14th pick in the 1984 draft and Keith Lee who was the 11th overall pick in the 1985 draft. Osceola played them 3 times and beat them only one time and never gotten blown out.  How really good was this Osceola squad, especially the Turner guys.  Help me out if you can. I just hear/heard stories about this team.

501Arkansas

Rest In Peace to the coach that coached this squad and coach in Osceola in the 70s and 80s. Coach Phillips who passed away today. Praying for his family,  friends and players.

Radiotalker

Quote from: 501Arkansas on May 25, 2017, 12:17:20 am
Do anyone remember the 1977 and 1979 Osceola High School boys basketball team that won state championships those years? I use to hear about them well I still do. Guys like Freddie Bird, the brothers Larry and Louis Turner that ended up going to an historic all black college call philander smith. Heard stories on how good they were. Playing against the West Memphis guys back in the 70s that went to the NBA. Guys like Michael Cage who was the 14th pick in the 1984 draft and Keith Lee who was the 11th overall pick in the 1985 draft. Osceola played them 3 times and beat them only one time and never gotten blown out.  How really good was this Osceola squad, especially the Turner guys.  Help me out if you can. I just hear/heard stories about this team.

Remember those teams well. I was part of the "77 team. Louis Turner was the center for that team but Willie Jones was the star. He hit the big free throws to defeat Morrilton in the finals and again in the overall tourney to beat Texarkana. Lost to US Reed and Pine Bluff in the finals. Both the '77 and '79 teams lost around 9 games but got hot in the state tournament. Osceola never defeated the WM teams with Cage or Lee......no one did.

That '77 team seniors played and won the last junior high state tournament in the '73. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas