• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Social Media Thoughts?

Started by Sports Loser, December 12, 2018, 09:47:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sports Loser

I got into a discussion with a good friend of mine that was telling me how he loved that his kids coach got on Facebook and Twitter every win and told stats.  What's thoughts on Coaches and parents using these platforms.  Even this website.  Just curious

OB11

One of the biggest jobs of a coach is to promote the school they coach for in a positive way. I think social media is a great tool to do that. In today's world you have to be very careful though as far as what you put on social media. But for the most part, I think it is great for the school and the student-athletes when it is used correctly. It also gives fans/alums an easy way to keep up with their teams.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

December 12, 2018, 10:49:42 am #2 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:53:11 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: OB11 on December 12, 2018, 10:05:17 am
One of the biggest jobs of a coach is to promote the school they coach for in a positive way. I think social media is a great tool to do that. In today's world you have to be very careful though as far as what you put on social media. But for the most part, I think it is great for the school and the student-athletes when it is used correctly. It also gives fans/alums an easy way to keep up with their teams.

I agree, fastest way to get news out, now days.

Flobbito

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 12, 2018, 09:47:29 am
I got into a discussion with a good friend of mine that was telling me how he loved that his kids coach got on Facebook and Twitter every win and told stats.  What's thoughts on Coaches and parents using these platforms.  Even this website.  Just curious

I like it. This is one thing I wish our school/program did more of.

OB11

Quote from: Flobbito on December 12, 2018, 10:51:37 am
I like it. This is one thing I wish our school/program did more of.

You almost need a designated "social media" person assigned to posting. Some schools do this. I don't think a coach should necessarily be expected to do it, along with all the other duties they already have to worry about.

Head Lion

At Manila, we have a Lions Basketball page for all things basketball from crib-12th & beyond. Fans seem to enjoy it.

Flobbito

Quote from: OB11 on December 12, 2018, 10:54:49 am
You almost need a designated "social media" person assigned to posting. Some schools do this. I don't think a coach should necessarily be expected to do it, along with all the other duties they already have to worry about.

I agree here, too many coaches have to be their program's promoter too.

FromTheBench

I think that when we see people attacking the fact that too much is posted about a team or program, that person is jealous of the fact that them or no one else is posting for their child or team. I think social media is a must in today's society for just about anything, especially sports. With that being said, I don't think the world needs to know every time a coach was at the gym or field house with an athlete or team at 5 or 6 AM. Just post scores and maybe some stats, or even if your program has been involved in community projects or something. I personally do not care that little johnny took 6,000 extra shots or 10 extra reps. Let the stats do the talking.

RedWolf275

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 12, 2018, 12:12:58 pm
I think that when we see people attacking the fact that too much is posted about a team or program, that person is jealous of the fact that them or no one else is posting for their child or team. I think social media is a must in today's society for just about anything, especially sports. With that being said, I don't think the world needs to know every time a coach was at the gym or field house with an athlete or team at 5 or 6 AM. Just post scores and maybe some stats, or even if your program has been involved in community projects or something. I personally do not care that little johnny took 6,000 extra shots or 10 extra reps. Let the stats do the talking.

+1 on this post!

Informant

Pretty much sums it up here!!

beach bum

Very nice post... I think you are right. And I think 99 out of 100 times the coach is using it for good. Always going to be that bad apple, but I see most using it for good..

smallybells

+1 - I wish every school had the staff/resources to do this, but as you said, simply use it for scores, stats, and maybe a short game recap.

MomaLion

We had a coach a few years back that was very tech savvy and always did promo videos for the teams as well as keeping social media updated.  This was very popular with the community and created a buzz for a program that was barely hanging on.  Now that he has moved on, we don't have those extra little things and they're definitely missed.  We do have a school page that covers some things, but not a sports dedicated page.
Social Media is a must in today's world.  Just be smart about what is put out there.

FoxandHound34

I firmly believe coaches and kids especially should'nt be allowed on here. It's a message board for us fans to chat and have fun with each other. Too many times a poster always claims you do know there is kids reading this right. Well stay off here if u don't want them to get their feelings hurt

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas