• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soccer Coaching Openings and/or Changes - OP Updated May 2018

Started by VHSCoach2, May 17, 2017, 02:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

May 17, 2017, 02:29:59 pm Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:33:58 pm by VHSCoach2
Please post any soccer coaching openings from around the state in this thread.  I'll begin and update the OP as you all supply information (and thank you for doing so!).

Vilonia (filled): Jeff Osborn, Boys Head Coach

Siloam Springs (filled): Lukas Showmaker, Boys Head Coach; Abby Ray, Girls Head Coach

North Little Rock (filled): Doug Bost, Boys Head Coach

Fayetteville (filled): Brent Crenshaw, Boys Head Coach

Greenwood (filled): Tyler Woods, Boys Head Coach

Fort Smith Southside (filled): Bijan Timjani, Boys and Girls Head Coach

Greenbrier (filled): Larry Green, Girls Head Coach

Beebe (filled): Michael Reitz, Boys Head Coach

--

Warren: Boys and Girls Head Coach

Little Rock Central: Boys Head Coach and Assistant Coach

El Dorado: Boys Head Coach

Berryville: Boys Head Coach

Russellville: Assistant Coach

Marion: Head Girls Soccer

Texarkana: Girls Head Coach

ArkansasSportsFan

Pretty sure I saw the Hot Springs Boys and Girls positions were both open. Also heard Farmington was starting a team but not sure what they're doing about a coach.

hogbert

HS boys: Erik graduates, get out of town. Good strategy.

MDXPHD

Quote from: hogbert on May 17, 2017, 03:49:30 pm

Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure he taught at Alma when he began his teaching career. I'm sure he can enlighten you on why he's leaving, if you're interested. Just ask him...he is an active member of these boards.

Ladyfan

ARSoccer25

HS loses Erick, but they have some really good young talent coming back and coming into the program. They will still compete at a high level after this year.  It would be a great job to land. Coach Sturdivant has done an incredible job building that program.

The Coach

Quote from: hogbert on May 17, 2017, 03:49:30 pm

Or he's from Ozark gets a chance to get closer to family and build a program the way he wants. HS Soccer will still have enough talent to compete at a very high level with the right hire.

big slop

Sturdy is from Ozark and previously taught at Alma. He hates to leave the HS program but the opportunity to move closer to home and his family was too good to pass up. Plus, he gets to build a program at Alma from the ground up with full support, great facilities, and pretty good resources. Can't blame a man for making this move.

6aSoccer

Erik was a solid scorer no doubt, but overall their right wing (the lefty) and the defense impressed me the most this year. They are solid defensively (are they losing any?) and that sophomore right wing is skilled and should be the focal point next year. Who has insight as to who/what they lose that are valuable? This would be a nice job to take for an up and coming coach since they do have lots of talent to help ease the transition.

VHSCoach2

May 18, 2017, 08:12:40 pm #9 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:57:33 pm by VHSCoach2
There have been four gentlemen that have put in their applications for the Vilonia boys job.

Any of these other openings have any applicants yet?

beach bum

Any more schools that people know off hand that will be joining the soccer bandwagon in the next year or two? That obviously adds coaching openings as those schools add soccer to their athletic programs. I see Pea Ridge and Farmington are joining and that is great but figured there may be more to come.

Go Postal

Does anyone know of when possibly is Alma's first "Heck has finally frozen over in the Airedale Nation" soccer game might be? I want to make sure that all our soccer naysayer buddies from Alma know about it. I wish their Coach the best of luck and prosperity on this new adventure.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Go Postal on May 19, 2017, 08:24:15 am
Does anyone know of when possibly is Alma's first "Heck has finally frozen over in the Airedale Nation" soccer game might be? I want to make sure that all our soccer naysayer buddies from Alma know about it. I wish their Coach the best of luck and prosperity on this new adventure.

Postal,

Alma will be playing a JV schedule starting next spring, so I would assume late February/early March will be their first match.  They will start a Varsity schedule in Spring 2019.

revolution

Word is out as of last night that Bryant High School Girls' head coaching position is available.  Coach Paul led team for last year following successful tenure of Coach Long.  Last year the word was that there was a shortage of highly qualified applicants for a team that had been a top 5 program for a few years.  Coach Paul was a first-time head coach, and he did a decent job although there was a learning curve as could be expected.

I hope there is an experienced Coach out there who would like to take over the Bryant Girls' program returning virtually everyone except Caroline Campbell, a UA signee and last year's Gatorade Player of the Year.  But Bryant still has a small group of returning seniors and a huge crop of returning juniors who have played at high levels of club soccer (Premier League, State ODP).  I've also heard the upcoming freshman class has several of these players as well.

Bryant Girls need a strong, experienced coach!

futbolsoccer

Quote from: revolution on May 23, 2017, 07:57:12 am
Word is out as of last night that Bryant High School Girls' head coaching position is available.  Coach Paul led team for last year following successful tenure of Coach Long.  Last year the word was that there was a shortage of highly qualified applicants for a team that had been a top 5 program for a few years.  Coach Paul was a first-time head coach, and he did a decent job although there was a learning curve as could be expected.

I hope there is an experienced Coach out there who would like to take over the Bryant Girls' program returning virtually everyone except Caroline Campbell, a UA signee and last year's Gatorade Player of the Year.  But Bryant still has a small group of returning seniors and a huge crop of returning juniors who have played at high levels of club soccer (Premier League, State ODP).  I've also heard the upcoming freshman class has several of these players as well.

Bryant Girls need a strong, experienced coach!

the group coming up to Bryant girls soccer team is very good!
I had play them and they are great players, above average skills, aggressive, physical, and knows the game, but things to consider.
1. many HS team get great talent every year, but some are ignore at some point, because they are young.
2. we know that the best coaching is at club level, very few HS have good coaches, much of the success of team in HS comes from club soccer and their coaches, I have read about HS soccer programs, but rea committed HS coaches work with their teams year around, that what I call a program, not just Spring soccer.
3. don't know what the requirements are to coach in HS, but I will love to see club coaches to have that chance and improve soccer in the state, if they can turn around a team by just practicing twice a week, can you imagine what can they do if they have every players at practice, every day for 5 months plus club soccer in the fall?
4. the teams with a lot of success in our state, is because there is a great connection between HS coaches and club coaches, some club coaches help in HS, and other HS coaches work as a club coach in the fall with their team.
5. we all know that soccer is play on different ways with different ideas.

so if Bryant needs a coach, let coach Nicole Inman be part of the coaching staff, she is a great coach, she coach the best team in the state in their age group, and have represent our state in region 3 for the last years, and I wish all HS will give this chance to club coaches which groups are coming to HS and have a lot of success as a club team.

Cabot coach work with his younger team and HS team.
Greenbrier give a chance to a club coach and improve a lot this year.
Bentonville work really good with club coach which is the best team in their age group as club team.

and those are the ones i know because I play them, there is probably more that I don't know, so if Bryant get coach Inman in their staff and the group coming up, watch out for Bryant girls next year and years to come.

MDXPHD

Are Conway Christian and Mena hiring still? I've heard they were.

revolution

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 23, 2017, 10:17:46 am

the group coming up to Bryant girls soccer team is very good!
I had play them and they are great players, above average skills, aggressive, physical, and knows the game, but things to consider.
1. many HS team get great talent every year, but some are ignore at some point, because they are young.
2. we know that the best coaching is at club level, very few HS have good coaches, much of the success of team in HS comes from club soccer and their coaches, I have read about HS soccer programs, but rea committed HS coaches work with their teams year around, that what I call a program, not just Spring soccer.
3. don't know what the requirements are to coach in HS, but I will love to see club coaches to have that chance and improve soccer in the state, if they can turn around a team by just practicing twice a week, can you imagine what can they do if they have every players at practice, every day for 5 months plus club soccer in the fall?
4. the teams with a lot of success in our state, is because there is a great connection between HS coaches and club coaches, some club coaches help in HS, and other HS coaches work as a club coach in the fall with their team.
5. we all know that soccer is play on different ways with different ideas.

so if Bryant needs a coach, let coach Nicole Inman be part of the coaching staff, she is a great coach, she coach the best team in the state in their age group, and have represent our state in region 3 for the last years, and I wish all HS will give this chance to club coaches which groups are coming to HS and have a lot of success as a club team.

Cabot coach work with his younger team and HS team.
Greenbrier give a chance to a club coach and improve a lot this year.
Bentonville work really good with club coach which is the best team in their age group as club team.

and those are the ones i know because I play them, there is probably more that I don't know, so if Bryant get coach Inman in their staff and the group coming up, watch out for Bryant girls next year and years to come.

I agree that Coach Inman has done a good job with her club team over the years.  Some think that she would do a good job as the high school coach, and I agree that would probably be a good hire.  Bryant needs an experienced coach with a proven track record, and she would provide that. 

I also agree that it would be helpful it there was more crossover between club coaches and high school coaches in Arkansas soccer, provided those club coaches have appropriate licensing, experience, etc.  Arkansas youth soccer will improve as more high schools hire competent coaches with experience in soccer to lead their high school soccer teams. 

Sir Alex

Most club coaches are not licensed educators which means that can serve in a volunteer capacity only.  The asst coach at Greenbrier is a great example of this working as is Pulaski Academy. Very few club coaches are going to want to donate their time to coach without pay.  We need to continue to see players coming through the ranks going on to get their degree and become educators.

Be patient, you are getting ready to see soccer explode again in the next 10 years and most schools will have quality coaches in place. Unfortunately, you will probably see a lot of the pioneers retire. 

futbolsoccer

haven't ask but I don't know any club coaches who are licensed educators, but they can help any HS as a assistant coach, as long the head coach will listen to them, some HS coaches have their own idea and concept of the game and don't like to be told by someone else what do or how to do things.
many club coaches have kids playing in HS and I think they will help without pay.

in 10 years, only if these kids who play soccer now, become coaches then yes soccer will explode.
as we al know in club soccer parents coach teams at early age, which slow down their improvement if coach by a real coach. not many invest in paying a coach at the early age, because don't know if it will stick with it
it is very important to develop skills at early age, many kids start getting a real coach by the age of 10.
and not all licensed coaches in HS know about soccer.

MDXPHD

It's all about the time involved without pay. Coaching, especially high school, takes so many hours. Schools can have a volunteer be a head coach without being an educator in all sports except football, basketball, and track I think. But like sir Alex said, it's hard to find anyone willing to practice 5 days a week plus travel a few times per week and some weekends for free.

Sir Alex

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 24, 2017, 05:37:29 pm
haven't ask but I don't know any club coaches who are licensed educators, but they can help any HS as a assistant coach, as long the head coach will listen to them, some HS coaches have their own idea and concept of the game and don't like to be told by someone else what do or how to do things.
many club coaches have kids playing in HS and I think they will help without pay.

in 10 years, only if these kids who play soccer now, become coaches then yes soccer will explode.
as we al know in club soccer parents coach teams at early age, which slow down their improvement if coach by a real coach. not many invest in paying a coach at the early age, because don't know if it will stick with it
it is very important to develop skills at early age, many kids start getting a real coach by the age of 10.
and not all licensed coaches in HS know about soccer.

I know quite a few club coaches that are licensed teachers. Quite a few of them just played for state titles this past weekend.  You hit the nail on the head. There are a ton of first generation soccer players that now have kids getting ready to go through high school in the next 10 years. Those parents that our coaching the young ones now and here shortly have knowledge of the game. Rome wasn't built in a day.  Parents that have played the game will help this sport continue to build quicker in the next 10 years than it has over the last 30.  If you look back to 1998 at the number of quality or qualified coaches and the number that we have now, I think you will see a huge increase.  You are going to see more quality coaches around the larger populated areas but there are some out in the stix as well.  It is a process that takes time, embrace the positive steps forward that have been made rather than dwell on how far we are behind other states. Soccer has been around Missouri since the 1910's.  No comparison to when it started here.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 24, 2017, 05:45:02 pm
It's all about the time involved without pay. Coaching, especially high school, takes so many hours. Schools can have a volunteer be a head coach without being an educator in all sports except football, basketball, and track I think. But like sir Alex said, it's hard to find anyone willing to practice 5 days a week plus travel a few times per week and some weekends for free.

Therein lies part of the problem. In my opinion, the head coach should have some sort of educator role in the school in which s/he is coaching.

However, that would actually require the school to pay them for their coaching and we all know some school districts don't want to spend more on soccer (or other sports that can have a volunteer head coach) than they have to.

MDXPHD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 25, 2017, 12:38:43 pm
Therein lies part of the problem. In my opinion, the head coach should have some sort of educator role in the school in which s/he is coaching.

However, that would actually require the school to pay them for their coaching and we all know some school districts don't want to spend more on soccer (or other sports that can have a volunteer head coach) than they have to.

Any idea how they chose these three sports? I mean I understand football and basketball are the two most popular, but how did track get in there? lol.

I agree with you. However, under the current circumstances, I wish they would change the rule to where if you are allowed to have a volunteer coach the sport, you should be allowed to pay that person a nominal stipend (about like what schools pay soccer coaches these days). I don't see how it would hurt.

revolution

Two names I've heard for available high school positions are Heather Friedman and Sam Abaza.  Any thoughts on these potential candidates?

VHSCoach2

Updated OP with hires. Anybody have any news on the other openings or if any other jobs have come open?

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Siloam Springs has an assistant spot open.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Coach Sturdivant, Alma on June 13, 2017, 01:22:14 pm
Luke Shoemaker (assistant from Siloam Springs) is the new Boys Coach at Greenwood.

http://hl.nwaonline.com/news/2017/jun/11/shoemaker-to-lead-greenwood-boys-soccer/

I assume Coach Post is still going to be the girls coach at Greenwood?

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

JFSM

Jacksonville Lighthouse has a coaching spot opening as well

VHSCoach2

Quote from: JFSM on June 26, 2017, 01:22:06 am
Jacksonville Lighthouse has a coaching spot opening as well

Boys or girls?

TheGoalkeeper13

VHSCoach2

Anyone have any updates on the jobs listed in the OP or any new jobs that are open?

TDK

Nicole Inman has taken the Bryant girls position.

Leopard

Coach sloan, (De Queen Boys coach) will also be coaching the girls team this year as well.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Leopard on November 18, 2017, 10:00:49 am
Coach sloan, (De Queen Boys coach) will also be coaching the girls team this year as well.

That is great news.

JFSM

Both boys and girls at lighthouse have new coaches now

redsport27

Forgot to say but White Hall boys head coach position was filled by Lake Hollowell.

Fourthreethree

Are there any rumors of coaching changes this year?

VHSCoach2

The Vilonia boys job is open again. The next hire will be the fifth coach in six years.

MDXPHD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 13, 2018, 11:35:30 am
The Vilonia boys job is open again. The next hire will be the fifth coach in six years.

Why the turnover?

VHSCoach2

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 14, 2018, 06:50:43 am
Why the turnover?

One coach was there for a few years and left before the Spring 2015 season.
The next coach only took the job for the Spring 2015 season due to the previous coach leaving.
The next coach was a volunteer and stayed for Spring 2016 and Spring 2017.
The coach this year found out early in the season that he was going to be hired as an assistant at Hendrix, so this was his only season.

Fourthreethree

I heard the LR Central boys job is going to be open.

SportsDad

Warren Boys and Girls will have coaching vacancies for next year (2019)...

MDXPHD

Quote from: SportsDad on May 15, 2018, 09:34:35 am
Warren Boys and Girls will have coaching vacancies for next year (2019)...

Great opportunity for someone!

Wendell Robinson

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 17, 2017, 02:29:59 pm
Please post any soccer coaching openings from around the state in this thread.  I'll begin and update the OP as you all supply information (and thank you for doing so!).

Vilonia (filled): Jeff Osborn, Boys Head Coach

Warren: Boys and Girls Head Coach

Siloam Springs (filled): Lukas Shoemaker, Boys Head Coach

Siloam Springs: Girls Head Coach

Little Rock Central: Boys Head Coach and Assistant Coach

El Dorado: Boys Head Coach

North Little Rock (filled): Doug Bost, Boys Head Coach

Berryville: Boys Head Coach

Fayetteville: Brent Crenshaw, Boys Head Coach

Russellville: Assistant Coach

Marion: Head Girls Soccer

Greenbrier: Girls Head Coach

Tyler Woods, Greenwood Boys Soccer Head Coach

Abby Ray, Siloam Springs Girls Soccer Head Coach

onewildrice

Bijan Timjani is the new Boys/Girls coach at FS Southside.

Bondfan4ever

Greenwood is getting a dandy in Tyler Woods.  He started the soccer programs at Beebe and built them up.  He was the East All-Star coach in 2017. He's a good coach and a great person!  We hate to lose him at Beebe, but he'll do some great things in Greenwood.  Good luck to him and his family!!

Lets Go 5

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas