• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It sure would be nice to see some activity in this thread this year!

Started by sevenof400, August 18, 2012, 06:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DogsWin7

DogsWin7

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 31, 2012, 05:41:31 pm
Quote from: georgef22 on October 31, 2012, 05:40:47 pm
Any word on the Waldron game yet?

According to the AAA twitter:

"4A VB State - Westside defeated Waldron 25-21, 25-8, 21-25, 25-21"

Thanks for posting this.

AT

Googlymoogly

Mountain Home defeated Lake Hamilton at 6A. Haven't heard the exact scores yet

AT

Greene County Tech defeats Shiloh Christian in 4 sets.

Seems that the East was the best volleyball conference this year.

Semi-finals:

Nettleton
Batesville

Little Rock Christian
Greene County Tech

sevenof400

Somewhere, Coach Venny is smiling...

3A:

Mansfield to the semi finals after defeating Bergman.  Will play Harding for a berth in the finals.
Other semi final is Fountain Lake and Alpena

neds

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 31, 2012, 08:30:23 pm

3A:

Mansfield to the semi finals after defeating Bergman.  Will play Harding for a berth in the finals.

Thanks

1-Adam-12

4A:  VV beat Mena in straight games, Brookland took out Marianna in five, and PG beat Malvern also in five.

Semis--Brookland vs Westside and Valley View vs Prairie Grove.

Likely to be same old, same old.

Quote from: neds on October 31, 2012, 09:36:29 pm

3A:

Thanks

Saw a tweet at AAA twitter site that Paris beat Alpena.  Which is it?

IKnowalittle

Paris beat Alpena.

The 3A Semi's are:
Fountain Lake vs. Paris
Harding Academy vs. Mansfield

Coach Venny Slocombe

3A:

Yep...HA is gonna be a tough one though. I hear they are good...

AT

5A: Nettleton defeated Batesville in straight sets.

4A: Westside defeated Brookland in straight sets.

Googlymoogly

Greenwood defeated Marion 25-19, 17-25, 25-15, 22-25, 15-6.

sevenof400

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 01, 2012, 11:13:09 am

3A:

Mansfield has one girl that really stood out in that match and that was #16.  Very solid hitter of the ball and can really jump.  Know anything about her Venny?

1-Adam-12

4A:  Valley View beats Prairie Grove in 3 straight.  VV and Westside in the finals. Same story umpteenth verse.

3A: Hearing that Paris beat Fountain Lake. Any confirmation?

Googlymoogly

Paris defeats Fountain Lake 18-25, 12-25, 25-17, 25-23, 15-9

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Googlymoogly on November 01, 2012, 07:26:39 pm
Paris defeats Fountain Lake 18-25, 12-25, 25-17, 25-23, 15-9

Great comeback! Congrats from Booneville to our Logan County neighbors.  Hoping for a Mansfield win and an all-West final in 3A.

AT

LR Christian defeats GCT in straight sets

Nettleton vs Little Rock Christian for the state championship.

Googlymoogly

Russellville defeated Mountain Home in five, 26-28, 18-25, 25-14, 25-19, 15-13

Googlymoogly

AT

1-Adam-12

An All-West final in 3A.

I watched them play at the Paris tournament earlier this season.  Mansfield won the match 2-1.  Little did I know....

sevenof400

That had to be some match for Manfield to beat Harding on their home floor.  Wow.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 01, 2012, 07:08:14 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 01, 2012, 11:13:09 am

3A:

Mansfield has one girl that really stood out in that match and that was #16.  Very solid hitter of the ball and can really jump.  Know anything about her Venny?
Yep, I used to coach most of those girls on a traveling basketball team when they were 3rd thru 6th grade. I believe you are talking about Kaylie Pyles.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 01, 2012, 09:19:01 pm
That had to be some match for Manfield to beat Harding on their home floor.  Wow.
Mansfield has the best Volleyball coach in the state...the man, the myth, the legend...Brent Reeves...

ahsalum

Very solid hitter of the ball and can really jump. 

Speaking of jumping. #1 from GCT can jump like a guy. No kidding. When she goes to kill a ball, her head is at the top of the net. So I looked up her height in the program. She was like 5'8 or 5'9. Not that tall for a volleyball player, semi-tall I guess. But what amazed everyone around me was the fact that she could hang in the air for so long and just mega spike the ball. Was really fun to watch.

Anyone know if she is going to play college volleyball.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 02, 2012, 11:23:30 am
  Very solid hitter of the ball and can really jump. 

Speaking of jumping. #1 from GCT can jump like a guy. No kidding. When she goes to kill a ball, her head is at the top of the net. So I looked up her height in the program. She was like 5'8 or 5'9. Not that tall for a volleyball player, semi-tall I guess. But what amazed everyone around me was the fact that she could hang in the air for so long and just mega spike the ball. Was really fun to watch.

Anyone know if she is going to play college volleyball.
lol, I can't imagine you watching volleyball...

my goat elvis

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 02, 2012, 09:10:41 am
Mansfield has the best Volleyball coach in the state...the man, the myth, the legend...Brent Reeves...

How about Coach Wes Davis and those Paris Eagles!!

DogsWin7

Waldron has won back to back District Championships.  A Great Accomplishment!

Waldron has 3 SR., 4 JRs. and 3 or 4 Sophomores that started on the team.  They are young and will return alot of players next year plus have girls ready to step up and play hard.

Way to go Waldron and Coach Gorman.

Sorry I wasn't on here yesterday, I sat in the Doctor's office with my kid who is sick with an upper respiratory and ear infection.  It took awhile to get seen and then in the afternoon I had to attend a funeral.   Again my apologies for not posting this sooner.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: my goat elvis on November 02, 2012, 12:33:44 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 02, 2012, 09:10:41 am

How about Coach Wes Davis and those Paris Eagles!!
Coach Davis does a great job...I am just a little partial to Brent...

AT

Mansfield defeated Paris in straight sets for a state championship

25-13, 25-16, 25-15

AT

Valley View defeated Jonesboro Westside in straight sets for a state championship

25-11, 25-13, 25-10

sevenof400

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 03, 2012, 12:22:02 pm
Mansfield defeated Paris in straight sets for a state championship

25-13, 25-16, 25-15

That is a bit surprising given that both teams were stretched to the limit in the semi final round but congratulations to Mansfield!

neds

AT

I just heard that Nettleton beat LRC for the state title. I'll edit this post with the score and number of sets whenever the AAA updates their twitter.

EDIT: Nettleton defeats Little Rock Christian for a state title in 4 sets

18-25, 25-22, 25-19, 25-19

sevenof400

That match might push the start of the 6A title match back a bit....

AT

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 03, 2012, 05:03:43 pm
That match might push the start of the 6A title match back a bit....

East conference in volleyball - Swept the first round, 3 of 4 in the semifinals, and the state champion in their conference. Nice year...

AT

TT posted in the stickied thread that Russellville won in straight sets against Greenwood for the state title.

EDIT: Also, if anyone was curious to the exact scores 25-22, 25-23, 25-17

TheHogHead

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 03, 2012, 04:46:29 pm
I just heard that Nettleton beat LRC for the state title. I'll edit this post with the score and number of sets whenever the AAA updates their twitter.

EDIT: Nettleton defeats Little Rock Christian for a state title in 4 sets

18-25, 25-22, 25-19, 25-19
2 great teams, great seasons for both.  Congratulations to Nettleton for the win.

AT

And last, but not least...

Fayetteville defeated FS Southside for a state championship in straight sets

25-18, 25-14, 25-18

Congratulations to all these teams!

sevenof400

About the only disappointing aspect of the state finals was the lack of tightly contested matches.  Very strange to see so many 3 set sweeps when the level of competition should be at its highest of the year. 

Overall though, I've enjoyed the matches I was able to take in this year.  Next year, I hope to have more opportunities to watch some teams I haven't seen too much.  One major hurdle I'd like to see volleyball overcome is the lack of even the most elementary level of coverage in their sport.  It is sad when you can't find conference standings throughout the season. 

AT

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 04, 2012, 07:10:56 am
About the only disappointing aspect of the state finals was the lack of tightly contested matches.  Very strange to see so many 3 set sweeps when the level of competition should be at its highest of the year. 

Overall though, I've enjoyed the matches I was able to take in this year.  Next year, I hope to have more opportunities to watch some teams I haven't seen too much.  One major hurdle I'd like to see volleyball overcome is the lack of even the most elementary level of coverage in their sport.  It is sad when you can't find conference standings throughout the season.

I don't know much about volleyball, but here's my take on that.

High school kids tend to get more down on themselves than do college or professional athletes due to experience and maturity.

I think if a high school team gets down a set, they start to panic more and maybe start thinking "We can't win this".

That's why it was impressive that Paris came back against Fountain Lake down 2 sets in the 3A semifinal

1-Adam-12

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 04, 2012, 07:10:56 am

I know the level of competition is especially a problem in 4A.  VV is just that much above everyone else.  They won all of their matches easily and the most they gave up in a game was 18 to Mena.

Let's see what happens in a couple of years.  VV is likely to move up to 5A.  Then you may have some competition.  Westside will still be around and Brookland will also contend but maybe some teams out of the West or NW can then make some noise.  (No disrespect to the Central, but three of their teams went out in the 1st round and the other just barely survived, and I don't see much coming to change that.)

Mena will be extremely tough by that time.  They have a salty team right now, don't lose a lot, and have a very good jr. high team coming up.  They have a pair of 5-10ish twins and another very good hitter that were freshmen this season. Definitely the team to beat out of the West for several years to come.

Booneville is a real up-and-comer and I'm not just saying that because that's the team I cover. They lose only one senior that made it to the end of the season (the other two were injured) and were a couple of plays away from advancing out of the first round.  They too have a good junior high team coming in that took Mena to the wire when they played at the Ville.  Provided they remain in 4A (and I think they will) they could be dangerous.

Waldron may fall off a bit.  Their jr. high didn't turn heads this season.  However they are well coached and they almost always find a way to get the job done.  Also, Arkadelphia will be getting better.  They have an 8th grader who was rather impressive this season and they have some other promising jr. high players.

Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge are teams to watch out of the NW.  PG won the NW this season and PR surprised a few people and gave Brookland a real battle in the first round of state.  Gravette also has done well lately.

Could be interesting by the time 2014 rolls around.  And who knows, maybe 2013 won't be a vintage year for VV and someone could slip up on them.

To address your other point, when we at Booneville restarted VB back in '07, I took time in each article I wrote to explain some of the terms used.  As time has gone on, people around here have picked up on them.  Looking around at other towns' coverage, it is lacking badly except in the NE and among the bigger schools in the NW.  Like you I hope that will change.

FT44

QuoteI know the level of competition is especially a problem in 4A.  VV is just that much above everyone else.  They won all of their matches easily and the most they gave up in a game was 18 to Mena.

Let's see what happens in a couple of years.  VV is likely to move up to 5A.  Then you may have some competition. 
Valley View has played competition. They beat Fort Smith Southside, Little Rock Christian, Paragould, Green County Tech, Jonesboro, Nettleton and Conway. They played 4 tournaments, 1st place Branson Licking Branch, 2nd place Cross Roads Tour, Effingham IL, 2nd place Conway Tour, and 3rd place (I think) at Fayetteville Tour.   

I understand your comment- (then you may have some competetion) to a degree, yes the conference overall is very weak, but they play many out of conference schools. I watched all of the state final tournament, and in my opinion, Fayetteville was the only school that I could say would beat Valley View this year. And they did twice. Russellville and Greenwood would be good games, I think Valley View would take them in 5, Nettleton and Little Rock Christian in 3 or 4.

Valley View is ranked 3rd in the state and you know it would never be ranked that high if it didn't play out of conference teams. So they had competition.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: FT44 on November 04, 2012, 11:47:02 pm
QuoteI know the level of competition is especially a problem in 4A.  VV is just that much above everyone else.  They won all of their matches easily and the most they gave up in a game was 18 to Mena.

Let's see what happens in a couple of years.  VV is likely to move up to 5A.  Then you may have some competition. 
Valley View has played competition. They beat Fort Smith Southside, Little Rock Christian, Paragould, Green County Tech, Jonesboro, Nettleton and Conway. They played 4 tournaments, 1st place Branson Licking Branch, 2nd place Cross Roads Tour, Effingham IL, 2nd place Conway Tour, and 3rd place (I think) at Fayetteville Tour.   

I understand your comment- (then you may have some competetion) to a degree, yes the conference overall is very weak, but they play many out of conference schools. I watched all of the state final tournament, and in my opinion, Fayetteville was the only school that I could say would beat Valley View this year. And they did twice. Russellville and Greenwood would be good games, I think Valley View would take them in 5, Nettleton and Little Rock Christian in 3 or 4.

Valley View is ranked 3rd in the state and you know it would never be ranked that high if it didn't play out of conference teams. So they had competition.

Just not in 4A.  That is my talking point.  I'm well aware they played many big schools this season and did well against them. 

And when I said "you may have some competition" I was not referring to VV having that in 5A.  I was trying to say that if VV does go to 5A then the competition in 4A gets better.  Maybe I was not clear enough when I said that.  If so my apologies.

FT44

I gotcha, I read it wrong. Guess I am just so use to hearing V V never has competition in 4A. I am certain Westside and Brookland will be very happy to get V V out of their conference. I look forward to seeing them move up, with one exception, I love seeing V V beat Westside.   ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas