• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It sure would be nice to see some activity in this thread this year!

Started by sevenof400, August 18, 2012, 06:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Come on in!
Sit a spell!
Take your shoes off...
Y'all post a bit now, y'hear?

All silliness aside, it would be nice to hear more of what is transpiring with this sport since the print media refuses to adequately cover it...

TheHogHead

I'm ready for some volleyball!  Good luck to all this season, but especially my baby girl!

AT

TheHogHead

Name your final 4 for 5A.  Mine is Nettleton, Lakeside, LRCA, and either Paragould or Alma.

1-Adam-12

Seven, I agree that VB is under-reported in the state, except perhaps in the NE where it's big.  I'll try to keep up with the 4AW in the thread I started for that conference.

DogsWin7

Waldron vs Fountain Lake game for today has been cancelled I heard.

DogsWin7

Billyo62

DogsWin7

DogsWin7

What's this.......i get via text- Waldron's b team just shut down shiloh. :D

Now on with the varsity game...........

DogsWin7

DogsWin7

Disappointing, Waldron lost to Shiloh but it gains Waldron's team experience at playing bigger schools.   Waldron lost I believe 3 or 4 sr. but knowing the history of Coach Gorman and her Lady Dogs she has kids able to step into those positions and they will play hard for her.

Good Luck Lady Bulldogs!   Wish you the success you deserve which is #1 imo! ;D

1-Adam-12

Mena tournament is this weekend. A good reference point to see where teams are and where they might end up.

Every team involved in the tournament made their respective state tournament last season so it is a very solid field.

In addition to Mena the tournament has Lake Hamilton, Waldron, Booneville, Fountain Lake, Lavaca and Jessieville.

There will be seven rounds of pool play followed by a tournament.  Everyone will not play everyone else in the pool.  The action kicks off at 9 a.m. and will utilize both the new Mena High gym (very nice) and the old, now Middle School, gym with which most are familiar.

Should be a lot of good volleyball played. Looking forward to it, good luck to all teams.

DogsWin7

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on August 24, 2012, 05:38:11 pm
Mena tournament is this weekend. A good reference point to see where teams are and where they might end up.

Every team involved in the tournament made their respective state tournament last season so it is a very solid field.

In addition to Mena the tournament has Lake Hamilton, Waldron, Booneville, Fountain Lake, Lavaca and Jessieville.

There will be seven rounds of pool play followed by a tournament.  Everyone will not play everyone else in the pool.  The action kicks off at 9 a.m. and will utilize both the new Mena High gym (very nice) and the old, now Middle School, gym with which most are familiar.

Should be a lot of good volleyball played. Looking forward to it, good luck to all teams.

Any news on how the teams looked?   

1-Adam-12

Left before the tournament finals, but saw all the teams at least once.

Taking first the 4A West teams, then the rest:

Mena--Very tall, powerful hitters especially #12 and #14.  They looked really good.  Definitely the team to beat in 4A West.  Every position is strong.

Waldron--They have reloaded, maybe not as strong as last season, but still a team to reckon with.  Looks like maybe another Dog and Cat fight for 4AW supremacy.

Booneville--Will be better than they showed today.  They were minus Ward, who would have helped immensely.  She should return next week.  Small team but make up for it with lots of hustle.

Fountain Lake--Pushed Mena to the limit in both their pool games, should have won the second.  Have a pair of very good hitters #4 and #21.

Lake Hamilton--Solid team with a couple of dangerous servers.  They have a lot of height but made a number of unforced errors.

Lavaca--Not as good as past Lavaca teams but their setter #5 impressed me.  They are young and will improve.

Jessieville--Second year program is on the rise. They took a game each from Lavaca and Booneville and stayed with Lake Hamilton for a while.

neds

Spikefest was today in Little Rock, MSM - ECS - LRCA hosted. Very good competition from all over the state. Betonville , Conway, Rogers Her., Bryant, HA, Mount, LR Central, LR Christian, Ft Smith NS.
Good competition and games from 8 a.m. til 8:30 p.m.
Russelville looked good, Bentonville was good as always. Episcopal beat W Memphis in the consolation final. Not sure who won the overall title.
Fun day.

TheHogHead

Was told LRCA defeated FS Northside for the title.  Not sure who knocked off Bentonville, am assuming LRCA?

mojo123

Any word on the final outcome to Spikefest? Should be a good volleyball season this year. Nice to see some excitement behind the sport.

DogsWin7

Don't know anything about the spikefest.   But did hear The Lady Dogs won The Lady Cats Tournament. ;D  AHHHHHHHH, the waldron lady dogs beat the mena bearcats.....let the fun begin!!!! 

sevenof400

Everyone (every team that is) should be in full swing this week with plenty of activity.

AT

I know Alma has played Rogers Heritage and lost, played Rogers (don't know result), and played Mena and Van Buren in a tri match and won both. They play Springdale Har-Ber and Mansfield this week before conference play starts.

1-Adam-12

Alma pretty much dominated Rogers, winning in straight games.

Props to Waldron. Tells me a lot about how much better we (Booneville) played Waldron as opposed to when we played Mena. Take out one run in each game and we were right there with the Lady Dogs.

neds

Episcopal (ECS) Collegiate beats Clinton at Clinton tonight in 4 games

1-Adam-12

Booneville rolls with an easy straight games win over Clarksville.

DogsWin7

Greenwood Beat Rogers Hermitage.   Way to GO BULLDOGS!

H.Townsend walks on at Arkansas Red Wolves to play Volleyball!  Congrats and GO HALEY!

Billyo62

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on August 29, 2012, 11:46:13 am

H.Townsend walks on at Arkansas Red Wolves to play Volleyball!  Congrats and GO HALEY!

Who is Rogers Hermitage?

DogsWin7

Quote from: Billyo62 on August 29, 2012, 11:57:41 am

Who is Rogers Hermitage?

LOL..........I don't feel to well today.  Sorry.    Take out the m!

Billyo62

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on August 29, 2012, 12:10:08 pm
Quote from: Billyo62 on August 29, 2012, 11:57:41 am

Who is Rogers Hermitage?

LOL..........I don't feel to well today.  Sorry.    Take out the m!

No biggie I knew who you meant, I do that kind of thing all the time.. ;)

IKnowalittle

Harding Academy is in only their 3rd year of varsity competition & are the 3A defending state champion.  They return 5 seniors and are already proving that they are a legit team at any level.  They played in Spikefest this past weekend beating Rogers, Sylvan Hills and splitting with North Little Rock to win their pool.  They then beat Van Buren, & lost to Conway, but battled them tough.  Look for them to defend their title.  Harding Academy also hosts the 3A state tournament this year.
Arkansas volleyball is getting better each year.  It is too bad that vb is not recognized adequately!

1-Adam-12

Booneville downs Union Christian in four games.  They split the first two games but Booneville got it together to take the last two. Lady Cats hammered down 29 kills.

Union is pretty good.  They have an outstanding libero and they have a 5A scalp as they beat Huntsville in straight games earlier.  Would not be surprised if I saw a 3A state tournament team tonight.

Lady Cats don't play again till Sept. 8th.

lbackmgr

Bentonville beat Siloam Springs in 3
Fayetteville beat Rogers Heritage in 3
Springdale beat Rogers in 5
Haven't heard the scores for Har-Ber/Van Buren

Valleysports

Go Tigers!  :D

DogsWin7

Congrats Waldron Jr. high! and Sr. high! 

MA

I don't know a lot about volleyball... but I watched West Fork beat Farmington in 3 games today and they made it look easy. Like I said, I know very little, but I do know that West Fork is very athletic. They have girls who play above the net. They hit the ball hard and block a lot of "shots?" Lol. I also saw them sweep clarksville and Gentry. But I couldn't tell if those teams were good or not lol. Just that WF was much better. I like watching volleyball... I need to learn the rules.

AT

I do not know how Alma's games went against Har-Ber and Mansfield last week, but I have been told since conference play has started they have defeated Greenbrier, Huntsville, and Vilonia to start conference play at 3-0. They play Shiloh at home next Tuesday.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: krik6 on September 06, 2012, 11:43:40 pm
I don't know a lot about volleyball... but I watched West Fork beat Farmington in 3 games today and they made it look easy. Like I said, I know very little, but I do know that West Fork is very athletic. They have girls who play above the net. They hit the ball hard and block a lot of "shots?" Lol. I also saw them sweep clarksville and Gentry. But I couldn't tell if those teams were good or not lol. Just that WF was much better. I like watching volleyball... I need to learn the rules.

Clarksville is not very good. (No disrespect intended.) They failed to win a conference match in the 4A West the past two seasons and things aren't looking much better as they move up to 5A.   

I don't know anything about Gentry or Farmington, except that Farmington made the 4A state tournament the past two years while Gentry did not.

Glad you are enjoying the sport. It really is exciting and fun to watch.

MHS_Tigerfan_#11

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 07, 2012, 01:40:05 pm
I do not know how Alma's games went against Har-Ber and Mansfield last week, but I have been told since conference play has started they have defeated Greenbrier, Huntsville, and Vilonia to start conference play at 3-0. They play Shiloh at home next Tuesday.

Alma beat Mansfield but not sure how they did against Har-Ber

DogsWin7

Heard that Waldron's 7th grade won over Mansfield.  Congrats!

FT44

Valley View runner up at BSN Sports Nike Crossroads Classic Volleyball Tournament

1-Adam-12

Booneville had no match scheduled Thursday so I went to see Paris and West Fork, which Paris won in straight games.  West Fork didn't make it easy for them particularly in the second game (26-24), but in the end it was too much Haley Owen.  That is one dangerous player.

Booneville happens to be West Fork's next opponent.  Looking forward to a great match in Booneville on Monday. 

DogsWin7

I hear Waldron is at the Russellville Tournament Today.

Good Luck Bulldogs!   Any idea who they play?   What schools are going?

DogsWin7

*via text-  Waldron beat CAC advances to play Mt. Saint Marys.

TheHogHead

I'm guessing Mount won the tournament?  They have a good group of seniors, and a dang good group of juniors.

1-Adam-12

Booneville beats West Fork in 4 (9-25, 25-23, 25-20, 25-23).  Lady Cats woke up after a bad first game to take three straight.  Booneville is at Mena tomorrow night to open their 4A West conference play.

DogsWin7

Waldron lost to Fountain Lake in Jr. and Sr. high games. :'(   

DogsWin7

GO GREENWOOD BEAT Southside!!!

Greenwood will be hosting the State Tournament  Oct. 30-Nov.1 *TBA

1-Adam-12

In the 4A West last night Mena beat Booneville in straight games, and I'm told Malvern outlasted Arkadelphia in five.

Also hearing that Ashdown will not have a junior high team this season.

DogsWin7

According to Waldron's schedule they play Arkadelphia today.   Good Luck Waldron!!   Afraid Waldron is a little down this year, but they are young and will be better next.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas